Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

you can save money on mini painting by not drinking the paint after you're done

gently caress you I won't do what you tell me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Ravus Ursus posted:

I love the comparison of.more expensive minis.

Pro racing bikes, working musicians, high end eateries and so own.

Meanwhile I'm 2-3k in and I'm in a poorly lit room hunched over a 1 inch plastic dude using the rear end hairs of a Russian ferret to run colored acrylic on it. As opposed eating a dope meal, riding a horse, going to a sports event, playing a gig or racing a bike?

The price isn't as wild as other hobbies but it's also a different scale of engagement.

If you invest in one of those painting handles with the grip/rest attached to it you could do your painting on the back of a racing bike maybe, or maybe while riding a horse.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

No we're talking. Lemme just bust out my wet pallet on the sound team's mixer while my band gets the sound check going.

Imma use the bass from the speakers to mix my paints up real good.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

it'd be even cheaper if you didn't allow yourself to buy any miniatures until after the ones you have are fully painted and based

say that poo poo to my fuckin face you coward

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That’s what I’ve been doing- it’s kind of sad when you run out

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
I bought the Ork combat squad today and I’m holding myself to not buying anything until I finish it all.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Bo-Pepper posted:

I bought the Ork combat squad today and I’m holding myself to not buying anything until I finish it all.

lol. lol

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

last night I dreamed of buying more minis even though I had some I needed to paint.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
some 6mm stuff

new medina house from Lazy Forger:

truck from Iliada Games

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I haven't bought anything this year because of my backlog and needing to save money. Well excepting the SM half of the 10th edition 40K box, and a wolf priest, and a dreadnought :v:
edit: oh and another few thunderwolves parts to max out a squad+Wolf Lord on Thunderwolf

Nebalebadingdong posted:

some 6mm stuff

truck from Iliada Games

your little teeny tiny hand-painted brickwork is bullshit fuc u :)

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 17, 2023

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

I’m gonna do it! I believe in myself!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Not counting the hundreds of models I've added to it, I've done a pretty good job getting though my backlog this year.

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 17, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The christmas boxes being sold out at local retailers make it pretty easy to not buy more, you could call that an upside.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Nebalebadingdong posted:

some 6mm stuff

Ok, I’m not jealous because that would be unseemly.

But it that exposed stone is hand painted you can just gently caress right off (to Awesometown, population you)

Edit: I so comically angry at how good those are.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Nebalebadingdong just has big prop pennies and is taking you all for fools

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Anyone still applying primer by hand with a brush years into the hobby? I'm almost at a point where I'm thinking of buying the spray cans...

The longer I paint, the more I realize its all about removing as much of the tedium as possible so you can get to the best parts: adding colors/details to the model.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You can always get a big air brush to spray your primer, after you thinned it enough.

As for me, I'm a bit mad that brush makes can't keep this poo poo consistent.

As I understand it the smaller brush in numbering is actually bigger, why the heck is the whole cotman line a size bigger.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bo-Pepper posted:

I’m gonna do it! I believe in myself!

Bo peeps I've seen your other posts and I am glad you enjoy this little hobby of painting tiny mans :smoobles:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Bo-Pepper posted:

I've only been back in the hobby since July and I've already said this so much

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Cease to Hope posted:

you can save money on mini painting by not drinking the paint after you're done

why even paint then

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

Chill la Chill posted:

Bo peeps I've seen your other posts and I am glad you enjoy this little hobby of painting tiny mans :smoobles:

I've mostly hung up my posting pants but am happy to discuss my descent into mini madness ITT

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Cardboard Fox posted:

Anyone still applying primer by hand with a brush years into the hobby? I'm almost at a point where I'm thinking of buying the spray cans...

The longer I paint, the more I realize its all about removing as much of the tedium as possible so you can get to the best parts: adding colors/details to the model.

It’s the cold moist season over here so I just dug out my brush primer. Spray is way easier but it's fine, now that I got a bigger brush. Takes about 10 minutes to get a good coat on a big orc but whatever :shrug:

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Lostconfused posted:

You can always get a big air brush to spray your primer, after you thinned it enough.

I think once I buy an airbrush I'm officially at the point of no return for this hobby. Next step would be to convert a second bedroom into a paintroom.

Siivola posted:

It’s the cold moist season over here so I just dug out my brush primer. Spray is way easier but it's fine, now that I got a bigger brush. Takes about 10 minutes to get a good coat on a big orc but whatever :shrug:

You know, I didn't even consider buying a bigger brush to make it easier.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Ravus Ursus posted:

I love the comparison of.more expensive minis.

Pro racing bikes, working musicians, high end eateries and so own.

Meanwhile I'm 2-3k in and I'm in a poorly lit room hunched over a 1 inch plastic dude using the rear end hairs of a Russian ferret to run colored acrylic on it. As opposed eating a dope meal, riding a horse, going to a sports event, playing a gig or racing a bike?

The price isn't as wild as other hobbies but it's also a different scale of engagement.

If you can paint well - like nebelabelalbdingdong a few posts up your skills will be a couple of orders more unique than someone who can play Westlife on the guitar or ride a meatball precursor around.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Lostconfused posted:

As I understand it the smaller brush in numbering is actually bigger, why the heck is the whole cotman line a size bigger.

Sizes are not standardized, and only pertain to other brushes by the same manufacturer. Not great, but it is what it is.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Z the IVth posted:

If you can paint well - like nebelabelalbdingdong a few posts up your skills will be a couple of orders more unique than someone who can play Westlife on the guitar or ride a meatball precursor around.

Also the skills you learn on the miniature scale translate to other more practical skills, like visual design, construction and other sorts of useful poo poo

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

How does brush-on primer work? Can you get a thin enough coat without drowning out more detail?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Lostconfused posted:

How does brush-on primer work? Can you get a thin enough coat without drowning out more detail?

I've just been using thinned down Wraithbone for my primer/undercoat on the Orks. It takes like 3 coats to get right, and I use a circular brush motion to get it everywhere and to prevent it pooling.

I like to think it doesn't ruin the detail too much...

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Lostconfused posted:

these brushes are sooo teeny. doesnt the paint dry almost immediately on them? my preferred brush size keeps going up even as the minis get smaller

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
When I can't be arsed to properly prime a piece, or it's so small and awkward a sub assembly that it's going to be a pain to clamp and cover properly, I keep a bottle of grey bush-on primer and use it. I can't tell a difference side-by-side unless I'm holding it up to my face and specifically trying to find faults.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
i can't even get eyes on right and you've got THAT level of detail??? wild to me.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Nebalebadingdong posted:

these brushes are sooo teeny. doesnt the paint dry almost immediately on them? my preferred brush size keeps going up even as the minis get smaller

Where'd you get a prop oversized brush to go with your prop oversized coin? Real commitment to the bit, there.

drat, somehow seeing the model next to the brush makes it even more impressive than just having the coin for scale.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I just started painting a week ago, I'm a big baby that knows nothing.

So I have no idea if my paint is drying too quickly or not. I'm just aiming for smaller brushes now, because I keep making mistakes when using a bigger brush and splotching paints on other parts of the mini that I already painted.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Lostconfused posted:

I just started painting a week ago, I'm a big baby that knows nothing.

So I have no idea if my paint is drying too quickly or not. I'm just aiming for smaller brushes now, because I keep making mistakes when using a bigger brush and splotching paints on other parts of the mini that I already painted.

your stuff looks good for just starting out! i wouldn't worry too much about the brush size for now, focus on fundamentals and getting comfortable with it all

when i started doing 10mm and smaller scales, i used a W+N series 7 size 0. it was nice, but the brush seemed to go bad quickly and they cost too much money to constantly replace. eventually i got a da vanci maestro size 1 series 10 and it was sooo much better because it has longer bristles. now im using the da vanci maestro series 35 size 1 and the brush looks gigantic next to the minis, but it holds a perfect point when its wet. i love it

longer brushes can hold more paint and you're less likely to get paint too high on the brush (which is what fucks them up)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
edit Re: Brush on Primer.
It's supposed to pull tight as it dries, I've only had one incident with brush on so far and it seems to have come from a bad batch that was very bubbly. Even the bubbles are easy to deal with by brushing over later. All my stuff has been primed this way and it doesn't seem to dry in chunks or anything, even when I kind of try to see how bad I can do it.

I've no garden and before I didn't want to gently caress up a balcony I didn't own so I'm kinda stuck with brush on. (plus it's only ever dry in Ireland now for like a month, even during heatwaves)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Right now I'm using a bunch of cheap synthetic brushes, so they all cost about a third or a fourth of a real sable brush. So I ended up with 8 or something whatever brushes instead of 2 or 3 really good ones.

But also yeah you're right they don't have a big belly and don't hold water and paint. Or more like they do hold it but it all ends up in the tip so the paint comes out splotchy.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

Sure, it's like any other paint. I use Army Painter’s, and it's runny enough that I actually have to wipe my brush dry to not thin it so much it separates.

Part of the ”problem” is using this thirsty boy:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Siivola fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 17, 2023

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Maybe I'm a bit paranoid now, but I think using a base paint thinned down with water is fine as a primer. I haven't read anything that said you absolutely can't do this.

Here's how it looks brushed on after 3ish coats:

I am curious how different a spray/airbrush base coat would look.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Cardboard Fox posted:

Maybe I'm a bit paranoid now, but I think using a base paint thinned down with water is fine as a primer. I haven't read anything that said you absolutely can't do this.

Here's how it looks brushed on after 3ish coats:

I am curious how different a spray/airbrush base coat would look.

I would look like you doing 32 times the number of models in the same amount of time. And a bit smoother, as it looks like there is a bit of detail clogging starting there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If three coats of watery white are going to clog detail then lmao lemme just post anything I do straight in the unspiration thread.