Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Used this opportunity to finally snag one of these things, regardless of color. Got the silver one. Pretty touch and go, though: process was a massive pain between a CAPTCHA I had to solve 6-7 times and a queue wait list.

Oh yeah, if it's not obvious, the orders are open and live and you need to rush if you want one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

The captcha was very finicky and took me like a dozen tries, but I got through the line in maybe 5 minutes and was able to order the dang thing.
I got good old dependable blue, nothing beats that.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Just took a look and they’re all still in stock other than silver and indigo. Get on it if you want one.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I don't need to replace my black Pocket....... I don't!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Manky posted:

Why would you replace the best color?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Manky posted:

I need these words of affirmation, thank you

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

only pink, orange and green left now

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Indigo out for delivery. "Only" an additional $57.03 in customs to ship to Canada.

I am stupidly excited for this. Had been neglecting portable gaming thanks to Slay the Spire on my phone, but being bedridden with COVID (again) made me rethink that.

Completely tangential: I was always annoyed I didn't have a backlit GBA after trading in a DS Lite for a DSi when they were new... never really found a decently-priced backlit SP or replacement Lite. The DSi became a bit of a neglected bastard stepchild especially since my 3DS XL could play the games, and for whatever reason PSP/Vita just appealed to me more in those generations... but on hindsight the DSi just feels better to hold than the 3DS XL, has a crisper screen, much better battery life, etc. And on a lark I googled how to hack it with softmods and it's amazing now.

I'm really covered between the Analogue Pocket and DSi.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Crosspostttt

I’m not one for wraps but I had to give it a shot for this thing. I got one of each set to mix and match. My only complaint is the lower corners have no coverage.

https://imgur.com/a/JpGsC7y

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

Why would you replace the best color?

You know, you really have a point here. Rambling now but, I've had a little free time recently and have spent a good portion of it playing GB/C pinball games on my launch pocket. The new colors are great and if they had been available at the time I would have for sure gotten a translucent one, but I don't dislike the black in any way.

My real problem, and other people have said this, is the lack of being able to go to their store and buy one normally. I'm so anxious about damage or failure. It barely leaves the house. In one way it's a testament to how much I like the pocket; it doesn't do anything that I don't have other devices for, but I would replace it instantly if it broke, and if I could. On the other hand, it's actually bad that I have so little faith in Analogue's customer service that I want to have a second device stockpiled just in case.

If Analogue continues with these limited releases, I would expect them to do a metallic series. Gold and platinum would be cool and I think they've "missed" them so far. I'll keep rocking my black until it breaks or they release a landscape form factor pocket.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

There’s so many of them out there that you could replace it on eBay for not that much more than msrp at this point. I have a feeling that the next stock of “normal” black and white units won’t instantly sell out to scalpers.

Don’t stress and enjoy your console. I say that but I have similar anxieties about my car even though it’s perfectly fine at the moment.:ohdear:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

This thing really exceeds my expectations in every way ... maybe not battery life. FAQ says 6-10 hours but I'm getting nowhere near that. Do OpenFPGA cores consume more power than carts?

I posted about this in the shmups thread, but one thing I was not expecting was the updaters to install all kinds of amazing arcade cores. I'm in shooter heaven right now.

OP doesn't mention converting GB/GBC ROMs to Pocket format which lets you play them as though they were carts: https://retropatcher.jonabrams.com

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

teethgrinder posted:

This thing really exceeds my expectations in every way ... maybe not battery life. FAQ says 6-10 hours but I'm getting nowhere near that. Do OpenFPGA cores consume more power than carts?

I posted about this in the shmups thread, but one thing I was not expecting was the updaters to install all kinds of amazing arcade cores. I'm in shooter heaven right now.

OP doesn't mention converting GB/GBC ROMs to Pocket format which lets you play them as though they were carts: https://retropatcher.jonabrams.com

I’d imagine loading up different cores and switching between various roms uses a lot of power. It’s definitely better if you stick with one game.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

SeANMcBAY posted:

Don’t stress and enjoy your console.

Agreed. Devices like this want to be well loved. They want to leave power outlets far behind. If you keep them inside they'll get hosed up like Free Willy.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Manky posted:

On the other hand, it's actually bad that I have so little faith in Analogue's customer service that I want to have a second device stockpiled just in case.

Their customer service is fine... as long as you don't mind waiting 2-4 weeks for a response :smith:

I just contacted them like 3 weeks ago to see if they can fix my NT Mini Noir... when they finally responded they said they want my shipping address and didn't give me any instructions on sending it in. So I guess I get to wait another 2-4 weeks for them to respond again.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

katkillad2 posted:

Their customer service is fine... as long as you don't mind waiting 2-4 weeks for a response :smith:

I just contacted them like 3 weeks ago to see if they can fix my NT Mini Noir... when they finally responded they said they want my shipping address and didn't give me any instructions on sending it in. So I guess I get to wait another 2-4 weeks for them to respond again.

Similar with me for an issue but they did come through in the end. They really need to hire more support people.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’d imagine loading up different cores and switching between various roms uses a lot of power. It’s definitely better if you stick with one game.
You're right, sticking to a single GB game it just sipped power. I really don't understand how FPGA works! (Will read more about it.)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://x.com/analogue/status/1730618043695276393?s=46&t=zpYUUMLitkL1LQfCkNP_qA

New update in a few days with bug fixes and the big one with filters before Xmas. I don’t know why they just don’t wait for the big one but why not.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Woo, my silver Pocket got here! Not only does it look gorgeous by itself, but the screen is something out of this world. Have been playing Mario Land 2 DX (the rom hack) and some Truxton 2.

It was super expensive between the limited model price, the absurd shipping costs, plus EU VAT on top of it, but I can't really say it wasn't worth it.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
I paid scalper prices for mine and I'm still very happy with it!

re: announcement, if Original Display Mode support for openFPGA means you can use the fancy display settings with cores, that's pretty fuckin huge. I hope the v1.2 features include save state hooks or something. Every time I look for updates on cores adding save states it's just post after post saying the core dev would have to rebuild from the ground up to support save states and how dare you and go make your own core before complaining online

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Once 2.0 drops, I'll finally open my Analogue Pocket and use it - I've just been busy messing around with other gadgets/games and was waiting to see if any new colors interested me more.

The silver one is real nice.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’ll be excited to see how the Game Gear filters look since I wasn’t going to buy the adapter and real carts.

2.0 will also have a trinitron crt filter that I’m quite excited about.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Marx Headroom posted:

I paid scalper prices for mine and I'm still very happy with it!

re: announcement, if Original Display Mode support for openFPGA means you can use the fancy display settings with cores, that's pretty fuckin huge. I hope the v1.2 features include save state hooks or something. Every time I look for updates on cores adding save states it's just post after post saying the core dev would have to rebuild from the ground up to support save states and how dare you and go make your own core before complaining online

I mean, tbf it's true. Save states are core level not OS. I do wish the core devs would get off their rear end and update RTC support in though.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

2.0 will also have a trinitron crt filter that I’m quite excited about.

Same, looking forward to trying that on all the arcade cores that I've been loving

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Edit: NM

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 19, 2023

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://x.com/analogue/status/1731709051766018050?s=46&t=zpYUUMLitkL1LQfCkNP_qA

The non special edition black pocket is back in stock and has been in stock for hours. I think the days of scalping is over.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Release the new Pocket OS analogue! Excited to get some filters on my OpenFPGA cores.

I also have a NIB transparent Pocket that I'd let go for a similar deal as above. Posted a thread in SA Mart about it if anybody wants to bop over there and check it out.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

1.2 is out.

Apparently makes sleep mode a lot more stable.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Aw cheese, I guess the core filters are coming in the next patch. Very grateful for my save states not randomly corrupting though!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Marx Headroom posted:

Aw cheese, I guess the core filters are coming in the next patch. Very grateful for my save states not randomly corrupting though!

That update will be coming “before Christmas”.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
With the Pocket/dock getting 8bitdo Neo Geo controller support, looked them up on Amazon and I guess there are some KoF special edition controllers on sale for $20bux. Going to try one out for that price: https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Con...824&sr=8-1&th=1

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
They’re very good controllers! I’ve been using a regular black one on mister for a while now

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I just got mine yesterday due to the sales and they’re very good. I never used the original version of this controller but I did have a NGP that had a similar clicky stick just much smaller.

Oshata Hyotesti
Sep 27, 2003
Ultros
Even cheaper on woot https://electronics.woot.com/offers/new-8bitdo-neogeo-wireless-controller-for-windows-android?utm_medium=share&utm_source=app

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Well I have no real need for yet another 8bitdo controller, but I can't pass up $17. Thanks!

I want to try out the clicky joystick.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’ve been using mine for a few days and mine feels a bit sticky on bottom right inputs. I always have some issue with every 8bitdo pad I try so maybe I’m just cursed with them.

Think I’ll stick with my NSO pads for everything else even if they’re a tiny bit more laggy due to Bluetooth.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Tangentially related to this thread, but you may be interested in this guy's NES-to-SNES ports: https://archive.org/details/@infidelity

• DuckTales
  • Legend of Zelda
  • Metroid
  • Mega Man II
  • Mega Man IV

Unfortunately the main feature, updated music, doesn't work on the Pocket because it doesn't do "MSU-1" sound (Mister does though). But these all have really great quality-of-life fixes. At their most basic, no more slowdown or sprite flickering.

But there's also stuff like a Super Metroid-style map in Metroid 1, holding R to fire missiles, and lots of optional patches to not waste your time. You can save anywhere which is especially useful using the OpenFPGA cores on Pocket (though you still respawn from the original points...but you keep your energy and ammo). In Zelda you can use the shoulder buttons to change items. It also makes the save menu available, which you normally needed controller 2 plugged in to access.

edit: oops, thanks!

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 12, 2023

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

teethgrinder posted:

Tangentially related to this thread, but you may be interested in this guy's NES-to-SNES ports: https://archive.org/details/@infidelity

• Super Mario 3 (beta)

Good post, just to note, SMB3+ is not a SNES port - it's a big romhack that only runs on NES.

I'll also add that, directly inspired by the work of infidelity, there is also a port of Kid Icarus: https://archive.org/details/kid-icarusnes-v-1.0b

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I don’t really care for MSU-1 music on SNES anyways but do those conversions work with the original music if I play without it on Pocket?

I’m especially interested in the Metroid one due to having the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don’t really care for MSU-1 music on SNES anyways but do those conversions work with the original music if I play without it on Pocket?

I’m especially interested in the Metroid one due to having the map.
Yep, they just default to the original music using a quality reproduction. Skips the MSU screen completely.