Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

https://x.com/HeerJeet/status/1725392874492035517?s=20

Whole thing was bullshit astroturf guys

Just exploiting "dumb zoomer" bias

Tbqh I feel like a lot of y’all in this thread play into the dumb zoomer anti-young-people bias constantly

Again AS ONE, albeit in the most elderly bit, y’all do realize we’ve got kids and phds now right? Watching tiktok at med school and poo poo. You’re just olds. The youths are already here and there’s no one’s minds being opened by dumb videos

You know how boomers think millenials are all 19 and slacking at college smoking weed and refusing to work? That’s you but it’s all the zoomers are 13 and radicalizing into Marxist-Leninist-climate-warriors from their tikady-toks

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Tbqh I feel like a lot of y’all in this thread play into the dumb zoomer anti-young-people bias constantly

Again AS ONE, albeit in the most elderly bit, y’all do realize we’ve got kids and phds now right? Watching tiktok at med school and poo poo. You’re just olds. The youths are already here and there’s no one’s minds being opened by dumb videos

Oh yeah absolutely we are all morons constantly falling for poo poo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

USCE 2023: We are all morons constantly falling for poo poo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You know how boomers think millenials are all 19 and slacking at college smoking weed and refusing to work? That’s you but it’s all the zoomers are 13 and radicalizing into Marxist-Leninist-climate-warriors from their tikady-toks

To be fair, I don't think anyone thought they were radicalizing into Marxist-Leninists specifically when hearing how America is secretly run by the Jews. Fortnite's doing that.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
LaVar Burton (Mr. Reading Rainbow himself) had I think the final kill shot on dunking on Moms for Liberty's performance in the recent elections, while presenting at the National Book Awards:

https://twitter.com/PublishersWkly/status/1724957754589061500

"Before we get going, are there any Moms for Liberty in the house? No? Good. then hands will not need to be thrown tonight."

Maybe I'm strange, even for a wrestling fan, but something about the mental image of Geordi LaForge doing the Braun Strowman "Moms for Liberty are GOING TO CATCH! THESE! HANDS!" tickled my funny bone.

Then again, my best line was "The next book Moms for Liberty want banned from reading is the ones that show the 2023 school board result"

Note: LaVar Burton is one of the few living celebrities that I am relatively confident will never get milkshake duck'd. And it's so heartening to see all the folks who are mad about it online cry "Figures he's a libtard".

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Man I wish all zoomers were radicalizing into climate warriors

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

You could argue that most of the discussions in this forum would not happen if we weren't all morons constantly falling for poo poo. It is our life blood.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

WarpedLichen posted:

You could argue that most of the discussions in this forum would not happen if we weren't all morons constantly falling for poo poo. It is our life blood.

Half of us fall for poo poo recreationally and the other half pretend that's what they're doing

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Again AS ONE, albeit in the most elderly bit, y’all do realize we’ve got kids and phds now right?

The oldest members of gen Z are 25 and the youngest about 10, as the definition seems to be pretty well agreed to be 1997-2013. In the US, there are 20 million or so between 20-25 and around double that from ages 10-19. Zoomers are still mostly children and teenagers. We've got 3-5 more years before it shifts.

Not to say that D&D doesn't play into the obnoxious "stupid children/kids these days" thing all the time but zoomers aren't largely adults yet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1725545949995397496

This is in relation to Musk agreeing with a blatantly anti-semitic post on twitter a couple of days ago:

I see a lot of people saying that the feds need to cancel his security clearances and divest itself of any Musk contracting connections: how entangled, exactly, is Musk with the federal government and would doing those things matter or actually hurt him?

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 17, 2023

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So yesterday (literally as I was posing about the WaPo pics/school shooting stuff), my kid had a code red drill. I was asking her about it today and she said that it was "fun" and she and some friends were wishing, since it happened while they were out on the playground, that it was "real" "except nobody got hurt and the killer got caught" (her words) so that they could have stayed out on the playground longer. Like... I know it's obvious but we are psychologically just loving up our kids hardcore.

I then apologized that she has to go through this and live in this world like this and mentioned how this wasn't a thing we did in schools when I was young and she was totally flabbergasted. "Wait... y'all didn't have to do this? Why?" And man that invoked the start of an even longer convo but we had to pause since I was at the drop off line. Just so utterly hosed up.

edit: I did go back and read the WaPo article knowing there weren't any pics of kids in there. I had seen the Las Vegas pic (the very last one they show) before so I was prepared for that.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 17, 2023

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1725545949995397496

This is in relation to Musk agreeing with a blatantly anti-semitic post on twitter a couple of days ago:

I see a lot of people saying that the feds need to cancel his security clearances and divest itself of any Musk contracting connections: how entangled, exactly, is Musk with the federal government and would doing those things matter or actually hurt him?

starlink mostly and various contracts with space x.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

Pretty drat entangled. SpaceX is a government contractor and by far our most capable launch platform which is of great interest to intelligence agencies. Tesla, the #1 electric car maker* and #1 charging network, is a big part of the infrastructure bill plans for EVs. And Starlink is a game-changing tool in the hands of the military, to the point that he got way too involved in the Ukraine war for anyone's comfort by allowing one side to field it while personally retaining control of its capabilities and limitations.

*by less and less every day, though

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 17, 2023

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

haveblue posted:

Pretty drat entangled. SpaceX is a government contractor and by far our most capable launch platform which is of great interest to intelligence agencies. Tesla, the #1 electric car maker* and #1 charging network, is a big part of the infrastructure bill plans for EVs. And Starlink is a game-changing tool in the hands of the military, to the point that he got way too involved in the Ukraine war for anyone's comfort by allowing one side to field it while personally retaining control of its capabilities and limitations.

*by less and less every day, though

Everything tells me that these services he's providing shouldn't be his. Either nationalize him or have him divest.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Instead of the government divesting themselves of musk’s companies they should divest musk’s companies and the country of musk.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
why does moose himself even need clearances ? just like Donnie, its not like that ket brain fried racist reads anything that isnt dank rear end memes on his phone.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

PhazonLink posted:

why does moose himself even need clearances ? just like Donnie, its not like that ket brain fried racist reads anything that isnt dank rear end memes on his phone.

They give security clearances out like candy. He most likely has one just to have access to basic information about the space technology that he is partnering with NASA on.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
SpaceX launches most of the secret defense space missions, which include satellites and that mini-shuttle that stays in orbit for a while before gliding back down. The guy who mostly owns the rockets needs to know some info about the payload that would normally be rated some level of secret.

But yeah Musk has proven that he can and will influence a national strategic resource on a whim, to the detriment of the US or it's allies security goals, they keys should have been taken away when he started messing with Ukraine's access to Starlink.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I would argue that, while someone at spacex needs to know about the payload, the ceo/owner does not, and should not. What decisions would he make differently based on that knowledge? He ultimately doesn’t matter in terms of organizational functionality.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I think perhaps that letting the South African emerald magnate have a monopoly on going everywhere that's not-Earth was a bad idea.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I think the issue is Elon likes to involve himself in lower level engineering decisions and the like that most CEOs never touch because his ego tells him he's a genius and only he can solve problems. That type of stuff will have a lot more contact points with classified info beyond just what is the payload?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The US government should grant him his wish and send him to mars.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They give security clearances out like candy. He most likely has one just to have access to basic information about the space technology that he is partnering with NASA on.

Also, the government will just kind of decide stuff sometimes, like making an entire project classified so everybody involved needs a clearance, or declaring that all positions that _______ require clearance without checking what that actually affects.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wayne Knight posted:

The US government should grant him his wish and send him to mars.

I would not be at all surprised if he sends himself to mars without permission in the end

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

D-Pad posted:

I think the issue is Elon likes to involve himself in lower level engineering decisions and the like that most CEOs never touch because his ego tells him he's a genius and only he can solve problems. That type of stuff will have a lot more contact points with classified info beyond just what is the payload?

I know several current and former SpaceX engineers and they described an environment where people actively dreaded anything they were working on coming to attention of Elon, and him coming in and loving things up.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mustang posted:

I know several current and former SpaceX engineers and they described an environment where people actively dreaded anything they were working on coming to attention of Elon, and him coming in and loving things up.

didnt they make up fake poo poo to distract him or something?

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

zoux posted:

Extremely.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/08/28/elon-musks-shadow-rule

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I work for a cleared entity (although I don't personally have clearance because I don't work on federal projects) and our executive team needs it to maintain that status. The board tried to appoint a British CEO once and the feds stepped in and told them no, even though he didn't need to be directly involved in any classified work.

There's a good chance Musk is only allowed to be in charge of SpaceX because he predates the secret stuff.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's been months, but Budweiser is firing their head of marketing after their American sales plummeted following a promotion with transgender influencer Dylan Mulvaney that sparked a conservative boycott.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1725358098729083143

Wait, I thought it had been established that the Mulvaney thing was a non-issue and Budweiser sales hadn't been hurt (or had been barely affected) by it, and it was just a bunch of chuds convincing themselves that it was some victory for Woke=Broke because they personally started drinking a different beer for awhile.

So, did it actually end up hurting the profits and make number go down? Or is this some sort of post hoc justification to fire the marketing guy?

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

the_steve posted:

Wait, I thought it had been established that the Mulvaney thing was a non-issue and Budweiser sales hadn't been hurt (or had been barely affected) by it, and it was just a bunch of chuds convincing themselves that it was some victory for Woke=Broke because they personally started drinking a different beer for awhile.

So, did it actually end up hurting the profits and make number go down? Or is this some sort of post hoc justification to fire the marketing guy?

Numbers went down and it doesn't matter why. Someone needs to take the blame and the c-level knives came out. That or they offered enough digits in his golden parachute to make it worth it for him.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

the_steve posted:

Sales globally went up, but sales in the U.S. were down 28%.

Strong growth outside of the U.S. made up for the U.S. losses, but the U.S. losses were still fairly significant.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

KillHour posted:

There's a good chance Musk is only allowed to be in charge of SpaceX because he predates the secret stuff.

Also because he holds it privately, there are no shareholders to answer to

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I mean, Musk definitely does a lot of drugs that ordinarily would disqualify you from a security clearance.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Nail Rat posted:

I mean, Musk definitely does a lot of drugs that ordinarily would disqualify you from a security clearance.

The gambling and drugs factors for security clearances are part of a metric that measures how likely you are to be bribed or financially blackmailed. Probably doesn't apply when you are the richest/second richest person in the world.

People also vastly overestimate the rigor of security clearance interviews. I had to get a security clearance many years ago and the FBI basically just asked my wife and neighbors if I had ever expressed support for violently overthrowing the government, if I spent a lot of time outside of the country, and double-checked all the answers I gave in my interview to make sure nobody contradicted me.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Musk is friends with Michael Griffen, and leveraged it to get all kinds of federal money before even building a single rocket.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

USCE 2023: We are all morons constantly falling for poo poo

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

the_steve posted:

It initially didn't seem to impact sales much so there were a bunch of stories about the boycott fizzling, but then the freak out dragged on a lot longer than freak outs usually do, and it eventually did.

Or maybe sales tanked for a completely unrelated reason. Who can tell?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

PostNouveau posted:

Or maybe sales tanked for a completely unrelated reason. Who can tell?

That was my initial kneejerk reaction.
I mean, I'm not a corporate business knower, but I'd think that if Number Went Down because of Mulvaney, I'd have fired the marketing guy back in the summer or at least closer to when that all went down, not wait until the middle of November to blame the trans beer can.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

the_steve posted:

I mean, I'm not a corporate business knower, but I'd think that if Number Went Down because of Mulvaney, I'd have fired the marketing guy back in the summer or at least closer to when that all went down, not wait until the middle of November to blame the trans beer can.

I think what triggered it was they recently released their fiscal year and quarterly financial info.

There were some initial reports about falling sales over the summer, but they finally have the official quarterly numbers and a 28% drop when it is growing everywhere else is probably enough to trigger some very public management change.

Even if it wasn't 100% his fault, it still seems like the most obvious and public step you can take to assure your vendors who purchase from you that they should keep buying the same amount because the sales dip was temporary and reassure shareholders that it was just a bump and they got rid of the guy who had all these hare-brained schemes.

All the press statements seem like they are specifically trying to reassure and hit that angle too:

Bad man gone. Guy who raised sales for other products in charge now:

quote:

Benoit Garbe, who joined Anheuser-Busch in 2021, will resign at the end of the year "in order to embark on a new chapter in his career," the company said in a statement to CBS MoneyWatch. The company's US chief commercial officer, Kyle Norrington, will oversee the brewery's marketing initiatives following Garbe's departure.

This was temporary and we are turning this around. We are going to be much more generic and mass market:

quote:

"These senior leadership changes will accelerate our return to growth as we continue to focus on what we do best — brewing great beer for everyone and earning our place in moments that matter," Anheuser-Busch CEO Brendan Whitworth said in the statement.

Competitor profiting from our fall. But, we'll take it back:

quote:

Bud Light sales fell 28% for the week ending June 24 versus the same period last year, while competitors such as Yuengling Lager, Coors Light and Miller Lite notched double-digit gains during the same key summer month for beer sales, according to beer tracker Bump Williams Consulting.

AB InBev also recorded a 13.5% drop in its U.S. revenue per 100 liters, a key metric for measuring beer sales, during the third quarter of 2023, the company's financial statement shows.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

the_steve posted:

But then you’re undermining your pinkwashing, and handing another victory in the heat of the moment to the Matt Walshes. Maybe something deeper and harder to attack than “we had a trans person do some ads” is a better route if corporations actually want to help trans and queer people, but I expect the lessons that execs learn from this is that these efforts aren’t worth the backlash. That’s the only kind of lesson they’re able to learn—what’s the bottom line say?

I would love it if pinkwashing campaigns sought to decrease the material challenges faced by marginalized people, but that’s not within the realm of reality in the current political economy we all live under, so this is what they think they can do, and it’s literally a situation where trans people and their supporters didn’t buy enough piss water to counteract the reactionary upheaval over this. If your only political act is to sell a thing, then you can easily blame the market for being too transphobic, and not try that again.