Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Tesseraction posted:

Also bear in mind that gas station attendants probably just have a hair trigger on someone who could potentially be a danger and call the cops to be safe.

And the cops don't care if you're not breaking law This Is America.

This is America, sir. Only New Jersey and Oregon still have legally mandated gas station attendants.

Everywhere else has just one person manning the convenience store that is 200 feet from the pumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah and they have to judge at a distance if you're about to turn the zone into a fire pit!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Oregon has stopped in a lot of places because of the pandemic, now it’s extremely unclear if there will be an mandatory attendant or not.

Which I love, so I will never ever buy gas in
Oregon again.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Oregon has stopped in a lot of places because of the pandemic, now it’s extremely unclear if there will be an mandatory attendant or not.

Oregon again.

Why?

It weirded me out when I went to Oregon. New Jersey also has a weird pride about it and I saw "Jersey Girls Don't Pump Their Own Gas" pride t-shirts when I was there too.

It just makes getting gas more expensive, sometimes slower, and socially awkward!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
someone once told me it's better for air quality because the attendants know the right way to engage the vapor lock that most motorists don't bother with, but i'm highly skeptical the workers doing highly repetitive work for minimum wage are really making sure they get the nozzle in at exactly the right angle and timing

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
They're trying to keep you away from those delicious vapors that kill your brain cells and make living in this world more bearable

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jokes on them I have another carbon-based chemical to do that.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Depression.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Tesseraction posted:

Jokes on them I have another carbon-based chemical to do that.

farts aren't carbon based

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Might want to check on the main chemicals of flatulence there bud. They're all carbon. Some are even carbon rings!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Tesseraction posted:

Might want to check on the main chemicals of flatulence there bud. They're all carbon. Some are even carbon rings!

the main components are oxygen, nitrogen, and hydrogen. methane and carbon dioxide make up a minor amount of the average fart, because everything society tells us is invariably a lie

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Covid they eased the rules and restriction on pumping ones own gas so and attendant wouldn’t have to come up to the car.

Looking it up like they just allowed pumping ones on gas by law recently. But that attendants are still widespread.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/06/us/oregon-drivers-pump-own-fuel-law/index.html

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Covid they eased the rules and restriction on pumping ones own gas so and attendant wouldn’t have to come up to the car.

Looking it up like they just allowed pumping ones on gas by law recently. But that attendants are still widespread.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/06/us/oregon-drivers-pump-own-fuel-law/index.html

I thought you were saying you loved not being able to pump your own gas and I was asking why.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the main components are oxygen, nitrogen, and hydrogen. methane and carbon dioxide make up a minor amount of the average fart, because everything society tells us is invariably a lie

this is incorrect! testing is necessarily influenced by the need to put people on a diet heavy in complex carbs (elevating carbon dioxide and hydrogen) so the testing period isn't impractically long, but oxygen isn't a major component, and methane is a significant portion in a minority of people (a pattern that also appears in later tests, if you want to go crawling through the backrefs).

how much carbon dioxide and methane is in your farts varies mainly based on your diet, but CO2 isn't minor and methane is a major part for a significant minority of people.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i've decided that my irrational prejudice will be against the minority portion of the population that actually fart methane

natural gas spouting mother fuckers

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

tristeham posted:

read settlers bitches

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i've decided that my irrational prejudice will be against the minority portion of the population that actually fart methane

natural gas spouting mother fuckers

My irrational prejudice is people who say they hate cilantro.

Yes, even you ~8% of people with a genetic mutation that makes it taste like soap!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

fine, stop nagging!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

My irrational prejudice is people who say they hate cilantro.

Yes, even you ~8% of people with a genetic mutation that makes it taste like soap!

no, that's a rational prejudice

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Pumping gas sucks

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I thought you were saying you loved not being able to pump your own gas and I was asking why.

I was being sarcastic. The uncertainty of if there will be an attendant coming is deeply irritating to me. I’ll get gas in Kamala and then I am willing drive the way from Washington to California to avoid it.

I recognize this is extremely abnormal.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I drove through Oregon once and my entire gas pump experience was me getting out of the car only to see a frantic attendant running over and shouting at me.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

We just talked about farts and you can't use them to power a car, not even hers

yes I know you meant Kalama

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I was in Klamath Falls a couple of months ago and the Loves had no attendant. Supposedly you can get a good paid shower at those, would be curious about experiences.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

They’re just shower rooms with a door you make an appointment and pay for for the truckers. I think it be the same as like a campground shower.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, but how?

I'm trying to picture a situation where you can be so unhinged standing still and filling up your car that multiple people think you are on drugs/drunk and call the cops.

Maybe I am just desensitized to crazy people because I have seen multiple people poop on a commuter train and then just hang out, but I can't imagine what someone who is completely sober could be doing while also standing still that would cause me to be so concerned that someone called the cops.

He is probably downplaying how he was "just cursing," but still pretty wild. I have seen many a DUI case, but getting a DUI while 100% sober in every way and standing around at a gas station is a new one for me.

It's because he got called in. If the cops had just seen him they probably would not have reacted and would have just moved on but once they engage with him I'm not surprised and I don't think you need to be very weird or out of sorts to get arrested. The cops are going to ratchet it up, they have no reason to give you the benefit of the doubt, and its all subjective so it's easy for them to see a tell that isn't there.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Oregon again.

I was in Oregon like a couple weeks after the laws changed and was really confused by the attendant asking me if I needed any help and being legitimately surprised that I knew what I was doing with confidence.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Back away wage slave watch a professional at work *start pumping before I get the nozzle in the slot and spray fuel all over my car*

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

:frogbon:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Genuinely an astoundingly stupid thing to have happened.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tesseraction posted:

Genuinely an astoundingly stupid thing to have happened.

It is astounding that people under 65 are still logging in to Facebook daily, but it's a free country. What are you going to do about it?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

World's on fire and I don't have the extinguisher. All I can do is watch and laugh when someone I don't like gets burned.

111223_3
Nov 12, 2023
D&D chat: no one is replying to the threads i post in

111223_3
Nov 12, 2023
page 2 goes back to june

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
what a baffling account

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

quote:

Trump calls political enemies ‘vermin,’ echoing dictators Hitler, Mussolini

On Veterans Day, the former president vowed to “root out” his liberal opponents, drawing backlash from historians who say his rhetoric is reminiscent of authoritarians

quote:

Steven Cheung, a Trump campaign spokesman, told The Post “those who try to make that ridiculous assertion are clearly snowflakes grasping for anything because they are suffering from Trump Derangement Syndrome and their entire existence will be crushed when President Trump returns to the White House.”

"How dare you accuse us of using the language of authoritarians? Your entire existence shall be crushed when we return to power!"

- Official campaign spokesman.

https://twitter.com/peterbakernyt/status/1724059038084735219

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 13, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

THOSE WHO ACCUSE ME OF SPEAKING LIKE A VILLAIN SHALL BE ASSAILED UPON THE BLACKENED YOKE OF DESPAIR AS FORETOLD IN THE CURSED GOSPEL OF INFERNO

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Anybody seen any good black Friday deals for pillows? Specifically 80/20 feather/down.

I had a great one, but nobody seems to make them anymore and my wife insists on these terrible all down pillows that are basically a giant bag of cotton balls and air.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Anybody seen any good black Friday deals for pillows? Specifically 80/20 feather/down.

I had a great one, but nobody seems to make them anymore and my wife insists on these terrible all down pillows that are basically a giant bag of cotton balls and air.

I heard about some deals going on while I was listening to my favorite podcast, the war room

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

mawarannahr posted:

I heard about some deals going on while I was listening to my favorite podcast, the war room

Is this the podcast based on the 1993 documentary about Bill Clinton? If so, what is the timestamp?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Every so often I wonder if Sisqo is doing alright and why they discontinued peanut butter Twix.