Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which PFL champion are you most looking forward to seeing this month?
This poll is closed.
Olivier Aubin-Mercier 1 3.85%
Larissa Pacheco 4 15.38%
Sadibou Sy 1 3.85%
Lance Palmer 0 0%
Nicco Montano 1 3.85%
Alexander Shlemenko 2 7.69%
Bobby Southworth 3 11.54%
Hardcore Holly 14 53.85%
Total: 26 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Super Deuce posted:

I don’t know why, but I have some irrational dislike of Aspinal. I don’t care for Pavlovian, or really any heavyweights that are at the top right now. It sucks for me. I want Francis to be blasting people into orbit again.

There's an English fella by the name Lord Aspinall who has a multi-part series on "behind the bastards" podcast going right now, and they might be related or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Unperson_47 posted:

I don't know a single person who has ever said one word about power slap so I don't know where these people are that watch it or if they even exist

The metrics touted around are so off the wall that I assume they're buying views and engagement somehow. To the extent that they need to to a) make claims about it being that popular b) so that YT will shove it in my face all the time, along with alt-right manosphere stuff no matter how much I mark that poo poo as "don't show me."

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Up until 2016 the owners of the UFC were trying to grow the business as best they could.
Now the owners of the UFC are trying to extract as much cash from the business as best they can.

It's not even that, Dana has fully hit the point of petty business tyrant where the business just exists as personal entertainment. If they were trying to extract as much cash as possible they would be putting on way better fights

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's not even that, Dana has fully hit the point of petty business tyrant where the business just exists as personal entertainment. If they were trying to extract as much cash as possible they would be putting on way better fights

With the ESPN deal the quality of fights doesn’t matter nearly as much for short term profits.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Unperson_47 posted:

I don't know a single person who has ever said one word about power slap so I don't know where these people are that watch it or if they even exist
Even the comments on their social media promotion clips are pretty universally negative, it really does feel like they're using The Secret but with the end goal of giving people brain damage in the simplest possible way short of just hitting them in the head with a hammer. Just refusing to let reality get in the way of the thing they want to happen.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Gumball Gumption posted:

I don't think they could improve the quality of fights without paying fighters more. Its a majority DWCS fighters with a sprinkle of better paid contenders at the top of the main card.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Hollandia posted:

Even the comments on their social media promotion clips are pretty universally negative, it really does feel like they're using The Secret but with the end goal of giving people brain damage in the simplest possible way short of just hitting them in the head with a hammer. Just refusing to let reality get in the way of the thing they want to happen.

I'm pretty sure that Powerslap's ratings were slightly worse than what you would expect if you showed dead air and hoped that people fell asleep during the prior show and kept their TV on. They also steadily declined. Dana either solicited a valuation based on social media interactions which you can literally buy or completely made up the valuation, but in either case he did it to promote Powerslap and his own personal brand because that's show business in the 21st century baby!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

blue footed boobie posted:

he did it to promote Powerslap and his own personal brand because that's show business in the 21st century baby!

Very strong theory, as it predicts this:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Super Deuce posted:

I don’t know why, but I have some irrational dislike of Aspinal. I don’t care for Pavlovian, or really any heavyweights that are at the top right now. It sucks for me. I want Francis to be blasting people into orbit again.

I say this as an english man, we're just inherently unlikeable.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Lets go!

ONE Friday Fights 41: Dedduanglek vs. Nakrob:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3L6HTyMdMg

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Kragger99 posted:

Lets go!

ONE Friday Fights 41: Dedduanglek vs. Nakrob:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3L6HTyMdMg

These fights are coming up to the main event, btw, if you can tune in. Just featured a guy throwing four straight headkicks in about 2.4seconds in the corner

edit - and while typing this, he absolutely waxed his opponent with a right hand down the middle to start round 3

edit - and the guy who got waxed, got back up, put heavy pressure on, and two minutes later manages to knock him out with seconds, literal seconds left in the fight he was 100% losing

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 17, 2023

coathat
May 21, 2007

Suriyanlek's comeback in that fight was loving amazing.

I really hope Superbon and Tawanachai can stay healthy because i want to see that fight so bad

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
God drat past few fights been fire, including this one. Rak is game as gently caress right now

ALso, for those who like violence we getting some
https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2023/11/one-fight-night-18-john-lineker-muay-thai-debut-vs-liam-harrison-january-12-2024

coathat
May 21, 2007

Harrison is going to kill Lineker for real.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Whooooaaaa what a finish :aaa: tuned in just in time to catch that last round

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Thank you Digital Jedi for getting me hooked on this every Friday.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

On the topic of feeling good about ONE Championship, there's still no word on Christian Lee's return, so ONE has decided to do the only sensible thing and remove their 170-pound rankings altogether.

Just stop promoting MMA. Just stop. It's fine. You've got John Lineker doing Muay Thai. It's fine. We get it.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Super Deuce posted:

it's never irrational to dislike the English

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Bellator prelims live https://www.youtube.com/live/0YujwWJD0do?si=VKfYRZ0xmhFDzgi1

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Have they said anything about it being the final card?

Edit: Hmm looks like they're at least saying "The final event on showtime"

Brut fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 17, 2023

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im watching belator

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

It's pretty perfect for the first fight on the last real Bellator main card ever to be a deeply unimpressive Patricky fight.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

CarlCX posted:

It's pretty perfect for the first fight on the last real Bellator main card ever to be a deeply unimpressive Patricky fight.

And ends with both champs getting finished.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Patchy Mix rules.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gumball Gumption posted:

The two aren't necessarily separate. Dana likes rockem sockem type fights. The UFC has made a lot of money while he's worked there. Ergo, Dana's taste has been a part of making the UFC successful. Ergo, a specific sport that was just two dudes hitting each other with nothing else to get in the way is also likely to be succssful. It's both what he wants and also something he's genuinely sure will succeed because, like a lot of people in power at successful companies, he doesn't fully understand why the company has been successful. I mean look at how many companies that have been previously successful have kneecapped themselves in multiple industries.

blue footed boobie posted:

because who else is fighting in that division

lots of people. Welterweight has been a really good division, combining depth and fun guys to watch, for a really loving long time. He could have fought Luque, or Ponz, or any of the other guys on good win streaks at the time.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

Patchy Mix rules.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
GDT thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4047592

Card starts in 10 minutes

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
does anyone have the dunc (I think) post from around the time of jones’ second comeback? featured bones talking about the dimensions of his dick and dc saying “I will teach my son to never be like this”

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

John Romero posted:

does anyone have the dunc (I think) post from around the time of jones’ second comeback? featured bones talking about the dimensions of his dick and dc saying “I will teach my son to never be like this”

no, but lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
you can vaguely describe an old dunc post and it's still funnier than anything i've ever written.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Marching Powder posted:

you can vaguely describe an old dunc post and it's still funnier than anything i've ever written.

Same, Ronda thundering into the woods is an all-timer and I still occasionally chuckle at it

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

chaleski posted:

Same, Ronda thundering into the woods

lol. exhibit b.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

You dudes are funny too

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/DealStreetAsia/status/1726435269744701838

Apparently ONE's financial shellgames are finally catching up with them, Qatar is 'embarrassed' about their investment in them, and ONE's scrambling for new investment because the Bloody Elbow reports they claimed were lies were of course true and their actual cash revenue is somewhere between $5-8 million.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Was there ever a more satisfying rear end whipping than was handed to Koschek by GSP?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Was there ever a more satisfying rear end whipping than was handed to Koschek by GSP?

nate diaz beating conor was probably the happiest i've been in my entire life so that for me.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

nate diaz beating conor was probably the happiest i've been in my entire life so that for me.

Conor getting his face cranked by Khabib was pretty good too

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I was gonna say, Conor's "it was just business" while Khabib punched him in the face was pretty great.

Colby Covington trying to complain about his knockout stoppage around his own broken jaw was fairly gratifying.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Hendo/bisping seemed like it made a lot of people happy

Marching Powder posted:

Big happiness off of this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Tito getting crushed by Chuck made me irrationally happy, and with all the love for the crippler Anderson’s debut was a gently caress you clinical beat down that I still see and go “god drat”