Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

more falafel please posted:

lol

i'll never stop laughing at the foibles of languages that treat types as an inconvenient problem to be solved by "common sense" as long as i live because people will keep doing this dumb poo poo forever

ah no see it's garbage collected, don't worry you'll never make circular dependencies and leak anyway, and dynamically typed which means you can evaluate a dictionary as a boolean, don't worry you'll never do it by accident, and it doesn't have nulls so it's Safe(tm) because you never get nullpointerexceptions. well it has nulls but we hacked in the ? operator to mean "do this if it's not null and otherwise silently fail and fall through" which means it's safu and you don't have to worry about anything just code it up bro

this is easily offset by the productivity gains of less typing and not having to fix compiler errors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

FAUXTON posted:

wait is that the one that was just spitting out the number 4 repeatedly or is this another one

that was on one of Sony's video game consoles iirc

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I thought that was a dilbert joke

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Tunicate posted:

Why would Dilbert start having jokes?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I think the joke character in Dilbert was called Jokebert

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tunicate posted:

the dilbert joke is scott adams himself

but you're thinking of an xkcd comic

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Tunicate posted:

it was, but it was nine

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

evilweasel posted:

the dilbert joke is scott adams himself

but you're thinking of an xkcd comic

i can't find it now because google is useless but on usenet sci.math there was a debate over the question "is 5 a random number" for like 10 years

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

this is easily offset by the productivity gains of less typing and not having to fix compiler errors

Yeah, there’s lots of uses for loosely typed garbage collecting languages. One-off data manipulation being an easy example.

wouldn’t build a financial vehicle out of one though.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Garbage collection seems to get rid of bitcoin really well, so I think it's serving its purpose.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Jonny Nox posted:

Yeah, there’s lots of uses for loosely typed garbage collecting languages. One-off data manipulation being an easy example.

wouldn’t build a financial vehicle out of one though.

at the risk of starting some derail, i was being sarcastic. both of the arguments i was making are incredibly dumb

but yes, there are uses for interpreted loosely typed languages; i'm not gonna make a quick automation script in C

gschmidl posted:

Garbage collection seems to get rid of bitcoin really well, so I think it's serving its purpose.

:hmmyes:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

more falafel please posted:

i can't find it now because google is useless but on usenet sci.math there was a debate over the question "is 5 a random number" for like 10 years

well. don't leave us hanging, what was their consensus after a decade of debate?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
depends on how you define "is", "5", "random", and "number"

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

SubG posted:

depends on how you define "is", "5", "random", and "number"

basically this

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

poor "a"

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Chalks posted:

poor "a"

as ayn rand says, a=a

every one can agree on this at least

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
not me

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
well, every one that matters anyway

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Boxturret posted:

as ayn rand says, a=a

pāṇini beat her to it by a few thousand years

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Boxturret posted:

i loved when some bitcoin thing was using a random website for their time server or something like that and the guy running it figured out what all the traffic was from and changed the site to just say gently caress off

lmao

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Boxturret posted:

i loved when some bitcoin thing was using a random website for their time server or something like that and the guy running it figured out what all the traffic was from and changed the site to just say gently caress off

yeah that was mark karpeles

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Boxturret posted:

as ayn rand says, a=a

I am getting an error for assigning a null variable

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Elysiume posted:

it was, but it was nine

22 years...

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

has anyone said b00bcoin yet

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
sorry we lost your """money"""

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

rowkey bilbao posted:

sorry we lost your """money"""

all of their "money" is "away from them"

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

all of their "money" is "away from them"

So...screw them?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Captain_Maclaine posted:

So...screw them?
screw them, Téodor

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

someone's probably gonna create applecoin soon

and this old relic would end up being its mascot

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
it's in the walls now

quote:

Police were called to dismantle a secret cryptomining rig winding throughout the floors and ventilation ducts of a Polish court in September, according to Polish news channel TVN24.

Several secured computers were discovered, potentially stealing thousands of Polish Zlotys worth of energy per month (the equivalent of roughly $250 per 1,000 Zlotys.) It's currently unknown how long the rig was running because the illegal operation went undetected, partly because the computers used were connected to the Internet through their own modems rather than through the court's network.

While no one has been charged yet with any crimes, the court seemingly has suspects. Within two weeks of finding the rig, the court terminated a contract with a company responsible for IT maintenance in the building, TVN24 reported. Before the contract ended, the company fired two employees that it said were responsible for maintenance in the parts of the building where the cryptomine was hidden.

Poland's top law enforcement officials, the Internal Security Agency, have been called in to investigate. The Warsaw District Prosecutor's Office has hired IT experts to help determine exactly how much electricity was stolen from Poland’s Supreme Administrative Court in Warsaw, TVN24 reported.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

why on earth would to do that, there are surely more lucrative and less easily discovered and prosecuted crimes

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Eeyo posted:

why on earth would to do that, there are surely more lucrative and less easily discovered and prosecuted crimes

who would ever think a crime is happening in a court duhhhh!!!

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
So the big thing about Poland's soon-to-be-former party-in-government is that it's insanely corrupt. This is genuinely not outside the realm of possibility for them. Dollars against peanuts say the IT management company is somehow connected to the family of whichever PiS figurehead is in charge in that region.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

you have all these walls, standing there, not generating profit. disgusting. they should have given those men medals for their work!

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
you've got a bad bitcoin infestation in those here walls sir

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Boxturret posted:

you have all these walls, standing there, not generating profit. disgusting. they should have given those men medals for their work!

you're in a courthouse walking along in the hallway when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a floor, it’s supporting you. you reach down, you flip open a grating to a duct. the floor lays on its joists, its tiles baking under the hot fluorescents, blowing its hvac trying to turn a profit, but it can’t, not without your help. but you’re not helping. why is that?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Boxturret posted:

the walls of the Divine Treasury hum and vibrate all day long as heavenly bitscoin are mined. these poles were just trying to bring a little of that miracle of economic productivity to Earth

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
our physical reality is lucky the sbf trial didn't take place in the bitcoin court

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
it's not even the first time something like that happens. i'm pretty sure there was at least one instance of that happening in iirc a school in the us

but yeah doing that in a courthouse is kinda like that one con artist who was sending fake invoices to various business, which was working well, until he not-so-wisely sent one to a den of lawyers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i remember hearing a story about an army sergeant who got busted for selling army laptops to pay for his wow habit