Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M31
Jun 12, 2012

Aphex- posted:

I've just built a new pc and have a question about power. I've got an ATX 3.0 PSU - Corsair rm850x shift, and an RTX 4080. The 4080 came with a 3 way splitter for the power, but my PSU came with a 12VHPWR 2 way splitter. To use the 3 way splitter that the GPU came with I'd need to get an extra cable, but I can also just use the 12VHPWR cable that came with my PSU. Is that going to be safe to do? From what I have found online the 12VHPWR 2 way splitter can deliver up to 600W so it seems ok? But I'd rather get some peace of mind on this insanely expensive GPU I just bought!

Yes, it's fine. The 3 way splitter from Nvidia uses 3 plugs to avoid burning down your house in case you plug it into a crappy off brand PSU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks!

I've been playing through Alan Wake 2 on the new machine and wow, I didn't think I needed to upgrade from my 1080ti for so long but I'm glad I finally did.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
So I guess this is more a hardware question than a real PC building question: for the various versions of the Fractal Design Pop Air, am I understanding correctly that the 5.25 bays are actually located in the "compartment" at the bottom of the case? And it's obscured by a pull-away panel? The preview images I've looked at confused me a bit at first, because I thought you had to remove a fan to make room for the 5.25 up top. If it's all in the compartment at the bottom, though, that's nifty, though the wiring through the motherboard mounting-panel they've got going on looks like it could be slightly annoying. I'm guessing internal 3.5s also go down there?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SpaceDrake posted:

So I guess this is more a hardware question than a real PC building question: for the various versions of the Fractal Design Pop Air, am I understanding correctly that the 5.25 bays are actually located in the "compartment" at the bottom of the case? And it's obscured by a pull-away panel? The preview images I've looked at confused me a bit at first, because I thought you had to remove a fan to make room for the 5.25 up top. If it's all in the compartment at the bottom, though, that's nifty, though the wiring through the motherboard mounting-panel they've got going on looks like it could be slightly annoying. I'm guessing internal 3.5s also go down there?

Yep you can throw them down there. What 5.25 things are you using? If you have a CDROM you have to appreciate this is extremely rare these days. I haven't had a disc drive in like 10 years and I've never had it come up that I needed one.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Yeah, the goal is to retain an optical drive. There's a few other setups posted that show this, so cool! It advertises the 5.25" capacity, so I just wanted to be sure I understand what was up before I started ripping fans off once I (probably) get one in a few weeks. :v:

(I'm also just enough of a millennial-boomer that going completely without an external drive of some kind just feels entirely too bizarre, even if physical retail PC games were abandoned more than ten years ago.)

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Alternatively, buy a USB dvd/Blu-ray whatever, and keep it in a drawer until you need one.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SpaceDrake posted:

Yeah, the goal is to retain an optical drive. There's a few other setups posted that show this, so cool! It advertises the 5.25" capacity, so I just wanted to be sure I understand what was up before I started ripping fans off once I (probably) get one in a few weeks. :v:

(I'm also just enough of a millennial-boomer that going completely without an external drive of some kind just feels entirely too bizarre, even if physical retail PC games were abandoned more than ten years ago.)

I'm 38, you just have to let go of it and you'll be amazed how good it feels. This is even more true if you are missing out on better cases just so you can run a CD-ROM.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Hey, I'm setting up a home office area and wanted to get some setup opinions from the thread. I do half Computer Toucher Stuff and half Teams calls with clients, so trying to set something up that's comfortable for both. No remote office budget or stipend or anything so while I'll spend the money on a huge quality of life boost I don't really care if my clients can see me in 4k or not. I've also set up a corner standing desk the wrong way so instead of it going in the corner it "floats" to make a bit of a room out of the corner, so the fewer individual devices and the fewer cables I can get away with the better.

With this in mind, a couple specific questions:

1) Are there any monitors with built-in speakers/mic/webcam that are at least pretty decent? I know buying all that individually would be better quality-wise, but it's not worth the clutter for me. If the answer here is no I'll just continue using the 2019MBP built-in speakers/mic/webcam - this isn't "I need new conferencing stuff" but more "I'm going to be getting at least one new monitor anyways, should I look into getting an all in one thing for one of them or instead just stick with one external monitor and then MBP for my second + audio + webcam?" I'm thinking too that it might make sense for at least one of the monitors to have a built in hub for further reduced cable clutter.

2) Any suggestions for a cheap wireless (edit: mechanical) keyboard? I've had Corsair and Razer stuff in the past but I'm thinking like one of those cheapo Amazon ones from some brand no one's ever heard of. Any of those worth the price?

3) Maybe this is a bit out of scope for this hardware thread but I'm also looking into those little under-the-desk walking treadmills so I'm not stationary all day. Are any of the inexpensive ones on Amazon decent?

Any input on any of that or any other home office essentials I'm missing would be greatly appreciated thank you smooch emoji

garfield hentai fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 8, 2023

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

SpaceDrake posted:

VelociBacon posted:

I'm 38, you just have to let go of it and you'll be amazed how good it feels. This is even more true if you are missing out on better cases just so you can run a CD-ROM.

Ditto, its been more than a decade since I stopped having any optical drives at all. It has never been a problem, if I was going to deal with them for some reason, USB versions exist.

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 8, 2023

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

garfield hentai posted:

2) Any suggestions for a cheap wireless (edit: mechanical) keyboard? I've had Corsair and Razer stuff in the past but I'm thinking like one of those cheapo Amazon ones from some brand no one's ever heard of. Any of those worth the price?

3) Maybe this is a bit out of scope for this hardware thread but I'm also looking into those little under-the-desk walking treadmills so I'm not stationary all day. Are any of the inexpensive ones on Amazon decent?

Any input on any of that or any other home office essentials I'm missing would be greatly appreciated thank you smooch emoji

2, take a look at the brand Royal Kludge. Good quality, wireless (dongle or Bluetooth or both), and mechanical. Plus stylish!

3, I got one branded Timetook for like $140 on sale a month ago. Only used it for about 4 miles so far but I was surprised it wasn't entirely junk for that price.

For standing while not walking, take a look at an ergonomic non-flat mat ("Topo mat" will show you one that's $100)(edit: "Calculated terrain" is the keyword apparently)

CloFan fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 8, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

LRADIKAL posted:

Alternatively, buy a USB dvd/Blu-ray whatever, and keep it in a drawer until you need one.

This is what I do as well. I have one in a drawer to sooth my "just in case" sensibilities but I couldn't tell you the last time I used it.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I ordered an LP with a digital code and these ASSHOLES sent me an even more obscure label compilation that I HAD to rip.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Yeah USB Optical drives are perfectly fine; we also have one and I haven't used it in years.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

There are many uses for front 5.25'' bays that do not involve a CD-ROM (though I do still have mine which I haven't used in a decade). USB ports/SD card/whatever other fancy poo poo ... they're there. I very much despise the case makers that threw them away. My 15 years case will never be replaced simply because there's nothing on the market that's worthy to replace it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Volguus posted:

There are many uses for front 5.25'' bays that do not involve a CD-ROM (though I do still have mine which I haven't used in a decade).

Pull out cup holder or cigarette lighter attachment.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I kept my old 2500K system around and stuck it in a full tower from 2003 with space for four optical drives. If I get any optical media, I rip it - in parallel, if there are multiple discs - and then stick the rip on my NAS. Hasn't really come up much recently but having a system in place helped me let go of 5.25" drives in my other desktops back when it was more of a choice.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Volguus posted:

There are many uses for front 5.25'' bays that do not involve a CD-ROM (though I do still have mine which I haven't used in a decade). USB ports/SD card/whatever other fancy poo poo ... they're there. I very much despise the case makers that threw them away. My 15 years case will never be replaced simply because there's nothing on the market that's worthy to replace it.

I mean, you can buy USB hubs with a bunch of storage ports and all that on it already and just stick it on your desk, or glue it to the top of the case or whatever.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
My desktop from 2021 has a Blu-ray drive and I don’t regret it

If it didn’t have one I’d have one in an external case or something like that

haven’t used it yet tho….but I got some stuff to run thru handbrake and some CDs to burn that I’ve been procrastinating on

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I have a USB3 external optical drive enclosure that I have been using for close to a decade, its great, has a power switch in the back and I only click it on when I need it. My case actually came with 5.25" bays, but I cut them out to make more space for a gigantic radiator, no regrets.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Anything to avoid for a M.2 pci card? Brands/styles to look for? Or just get whatever is cheapest?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

slidebite posted:

Anything to avoid for a M.2 pci card? Brands/styles to look for? Or just get whatever is cheapest?

Canadian amazon link but I used this one and it was fine. It's not doing a difficult job and you shouldn't spend a ton on it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

slidebite posted:

Do you mean a PCIe card that breaks out into a M.2 slot for a NVMe drive? I'm pretty sure they just adapt the pins from the M.2 slot to PCIe so it's basically passive. I'd just look for one from a brand that's sort of reliable, I see a Sabrent one on amazon for $18.
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-NVMe-PCIe-Aluminum-EC-PCIE/dp/B084GDY2PW/

Amazon has a listing for one that screws into the expansion card slot as well, looks cheaper but is probably fine. I have a similar one to this I've been using for a few years in an older machine:
https://www.amazon.com/GLOTRENDS-Adapter-Aluminum-Heatsink-PA09_HS/dp/B07FN3YZ8P/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yeah those kind of things exactly, thanks.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

There are some things to watch out for, for example I got a card that has two m.2 slots on it, one at full nvme speed, one at SATA speeds.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

slidebite posted:

If you're looking for a recommendation we used about 2000 of these guys in a reference test lab back when I worked for WD/Sandisk

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-PEX4M2E1-M-2-Adapter-Profile/dp/B01FU9JS94?th=1

In general we always bought Startech stuff for everything since it was reliable and always adhered to whatever industry drive standards

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 18, 2023

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Startech is relatively pricey if you compare it to other poo poo on Amazon. But whatever they make, works fine in my experience.

I'd argue that the cheaper poo poo is cheaper for a reason and should be ignored. I hope Startech never fades away.

Edit oh it's for pcie, then yeah literally any board will work as long as it's traces aren't too long I guess? It's just wires in some fiberglass and a connector.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
this seems like a stupid question but: how fast would your internet need to be for "downloading a game right into your SSD" to be faster than "storing the install on an HDD, and then transferring it to the SSD when you're actually going to play it"

(assuming data caps are not a thing, of course)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

this seems like a stupid question but: how fast would your internet need to be for "downloading a game right into your SSD" to be faster than "storing the install on an HDD, and then transferring it to the SSD when you're actually going to play it"

(assuming data caps are not a thing, of course)

1 gig internet will do it.

The write speed of the HDD is roughly 120MB a second but the read speed is in the 80s roughly which is where it would be faster to write it to the SSD.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Running CrystalDiskMark on the HDD if you have it already will give you a good indicator of how fast sequential reads are (which will be what matters most for most larger games in that use case). And then the answer is just "faster internet than that".

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Gigabit internet does around 100 to 115 MB per second, modern hard drives do around 150 to 250 MB per second depending on the drive and location of the data.

This is assuming largely sequential reading.

So internet speed to beat a hard drive is roughly 2.5 gigabits in ideal conditions.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

Gigabit internet does around 100 to 115 MB per second, modern hard drives do around 150 to 250 MB per second depending on the drive and location of the data.

This is assuming largely sequential reading.

So internet speed to beat a hard drive is roughly 2.5 gigabits in ideal conditions.

That’s write speed though the read speed is going to be lower since the OP wants to transfer it off the HDD to an SSD and 1gig internet would be faster.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Some WD Black drives can push 200-250MB/second sequential reads.

More importantly though is that internet performance will be limited by the content delivery network. I have 1gig (previously Google, now FIOS) and usually would max out at around 600-700Mbit/second downloading from Steam at off hours.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

MarcusSA posted:

That’s write speed though the read speed is going to be lower since the OP wants to transfer it off the HDD to an SSD and 1gig internet would be faster.

HDDs read and write speeds are basically identical though. They aren't like SSDs where it can be significantly different due to how flash memory works, generally speaking the sequential limits of a HDD are how quickly the data passes under the read heads and that is determined by the rotational speed of the disk and the area it is on (closer to the outer edge == faster). If a HDD writes a bunch of data at 250 MB/sec, it will also read that same data back at 250 MB/sec.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Unless you accidentally buy an SMR drive, where the write speeds can be incredibly unpredictable and lovely.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Less Fat Luke posted:

Unless you accidentally buy an SMR drive, where the write speeds can be incredibly unpredictable and lovely.

Even then, as long as you stick to big sequential operations SMR drives will not give you any trouble, they are just really bad at small random writes. They are pretty much perfect large file size media archive drives.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah I'm intimately familiar with all their bullshit now. Just still very bitter about the vendors not telling people drives were SMR (when they weren't even cheaper or anything, like come on)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
how do you choose a dash cam?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

how do you choose a dash cam?

I’d definitely watch some YouTube reviews because a lot of them are poo poo when you watch the video back

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

MarcusSA posted:

I’d definitely watch some YouTube reviews because a lot of them are poo poo when you watch the video back

i was hoping to avoid the homework

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Less Fat Luke posted:

Yeah I'm intimately familiar with all their bullshit now. Just still very bitter about the vendors not telling people drives were SMR (when they weren't even cheaper or anything, like come on)

Oh absolutely.

Although PMR or SMR I honestly wouldn't touch a hard drive for storing anything that comes even remotely close to requiring random access. SSDs are affordable enough now that nobody should be leaving applications or stuff like that on a mechanical HDD.