Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

the holy poopacy posted:

Gall likes to tuck his hands into his waistcoat pockets but the dramatic black-on-black shadows mean it usually just looks like he has the world's tallest pants (or some kind of vest + pants onesie?)

:laffo: yes, got those waders on 24/7 'cause you never know when you're gonna have to get wet.

Also, I love the name "Annabelle Peoria", for reasons that are only partially clear even me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Is it me, or do the latest developments in Lavender Jack feel more and more like a coup d'état?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It’s perfectly healthy for a free society to institute a city-wide curfew after three murders.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Tiger, Tiger

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Emzedoh posted:

Is it me, or do the latest developments in Lavender Jack feel more and more like a coup d'état?

The mayor was such a lightweight that to be honest it's really easy to forget up until this point that he was an honest to god head of state. Turns out that a line of succession that immediately devolves supreme executive authority on the still-sitting sole head of the judiciary is a neat trick for the any% constitutional crisis speedrun, especially when your national government is arranged as a strong-mayor city government. Come to think of it I'm not even sure there's any mention of Gallery having an independent legislature at all!

Oh well, Gall seems like a pretty straight egg so I'm sure it will all work out.

Hah, the editing isn't great but I wouldn't have even caught that one.

the holy poopacy has a new favorite as of 22:01 on Nov 16, 2023

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

cuboid egg

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Arrgh, I missed numbers chat! I'll just throw this out here, then, the fact that Japanese (and I think they imported it, as they did many things, it from Chinese) has a big-numbers system that rolls over at powers of 4 rather than 3, a just completely different way of thinking about numbers that makes quickly (or, hell, slowly) translating big numbers nearly impossible, whee!

English: ten, Japanese: ten
English: hundred, Japanese: hundred
English: thousand, Japanese: thousand
English: ten thousand, Japanese: ten thousand = "man"
English: hundred thousand, Japanese: ten man
English: thousand thousand = million, Japanese: hundred man
English: ten million, Japanese: thousand man
English: hundred million, Japanese: man man = "oku" (ten thousand ten thousand)
English: thousand million = (American) billion, Japanese: ten oku

Et cetera.

Haraiso Days

It’s unclear since I don’t generally do sound effects, but dude snapped his fingers to induce discomfort in the Annoying Youths.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

eggs

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

wait didnt shadow just realize he was gay the other day? i mean is it an awkward come-on or not

whats the timeline here

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

the holy poopacy posted:

Lavender Jack

Gall likes to tuck his hands into his waistcoat pockets but the dramatic black-on-black shadows mean it usually just looks like he has the world's tallest pants (or some kind of vest + pants onesie?)

Urkel looking fresh

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

wait didnt shadow just realize he was gay the other day? i mean is it an awkward come-on or not

whats the timeline here

The joke is always that he's only gay in June.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ditocoaf posted:

lol i completely missed that

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

It’s perfectly healthy for a free society to institute a city-wide curfew after three murders.
To be completely fair I'm pretty sure the bodycount's way higher than three since Lord Hawthorne absolutely did not let a single one of the gerhard sisters' guards-with-bows live, but to be more fair 'rich person gets killled' is the sort of thing remembered as a murder and 'hired goon gets killed while on the clock' isn't.
This movie was the first time I can remember being hugely disappointed by a sequel, even if I in no way was able to articulate why. I didn't NEED songs in my dinosaur movies, I could have had songs on any of the other ~12 VHS tapes we had lying around damnit.

Drakyn has a new favorite as of 00:44 on Nov 17, 2023

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Ditocoaf posted:

Also there was that complicated thing where he's hypnotized to see women as men and vice versa for purposes of attraction.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

GREAT
by Ryan Armand

Fingerpori

Finnish psychology comix
1/2018 - Psychodogy

Notes:
- Again a comic that coasts more with the initial idea and ends up being a bit light as a result. I do like some of the jokes a bunch, though.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

School of World

Here's a oneshot from Will Tempest:
Alchemical Gate

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Hempuli posted:

Finnish psychology comix
1/2018 - Psychodogy

Notes:
- Again a comic that coasts more with the initial idea and ends up being a bit light as a result. I do like some of the jokes a bunch, though.

Aaaaaaaah I love the doggiessss

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Hempuli posted:

GREAT
by Ryan Armand

Who's this sinister looking woman again? That's not the wife, is it?

the holy poopacy posted:

The mayor was such a lightweight that to be honest it's really easy to forget up until this point that he was an honest to god head of state. Turns out that a line of succession that immediately devolves supreme executive authority on the still-sitting sole head of the judiciary is a neat trick for the any% constitutional crisis speedrun, especially when your national government is arranged as a strong-mayor city government. Come to think of it I'm not even sure there's any mention of Gallery having an independent legislature at all!

Oh well, Gall seems like a pretty straight egg so I'm sure it will all work out.

Hah, the editing isn't great but I wouldn't have even caught that one.

Haha, "strong-mayor government". It wouldn't be surprising if Gallery is something like an oligarchy on the Greek polis model, though.

Special double update to allow Sasuke to wrestle with his feelings.

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 29: Give Up The Summer

The second flashback guy is the samurai that blew himself up with a teapot stuffed with gunpowder way back in chapter 1.

Japan Tengu Party Illustrated chapter 22: Of Military Conferences

Toshinori is such a dropkick, I swear. Look, he's missing the cruise missiles. Ballistic missiles? One of those things.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

In my experience, the Duck comics shy away from ascribing a concrete net worth to Scrooge McDuck. He wouldn't realistically be a billiardaire (short count: quadrillionaire) in any currency outside of like, the discontinued Italian Lira maybe, so if that's the number used in Finnish comics I could absolutely understand reading it as a fantasy number.

In Danish the big numbers would always be measured in "utrollioner" which would translate as "incredillions," which is not a real number but is a fun word.

The latest cartoon does establish him as a trillionaire. The character has definitely been around long enough to go through a few phases of inflation.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Emzedoh posted:

Who's this sinister looking woman again? That's not the wife, is it?

She's the one random employee who actually liked his ramen (but still broke the news to him that everyone else hates it). She joined Mr. and Mrs. Phipps when they stormed out.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Ditocoaf posted:

She's the one random employee who actually liked his ramen (but still broke the news to him that everyone else hates it). She joined Mr. and Mrs. Phipps when they stormed out.

Thanks, I must have missed that bit.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Fantomius - The Monte Rosa

This is actually the first of the Gervasio Fantomius stories, but I couldn't resist starting with some of my favorite. Not that this story is bad in any way - far from it! It just doesn't have a gimmick like parody guest characters or silent movie aesthetics.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Cooking Papa, Cook 14: Snow Watching Hot Pot for Cold Winters

Am I imagining it or did he put them both in the recovery position?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Just noticed how the Japanese version of Hotpot is different from the Chinese: in China it's apparently customary to place all the raw foodstuff around the pot and everyone places what they want inside to cook it,
here everything is cooked together and people just pick out from the pot to their bowl.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I think they might do that as well? Someone more versed in Japanese cuisine might want to check my work there though. I do like a Chinese-style hot pot on a winter evening.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

By popular demand posted:

Just noticed how the Japanese version of Hotpot is different from the Chinese: in China it's apparently customary to place all the raw foodstuff around the pot and everyone places what they want inside to cook it,
here everything is cooked together and people just pick out from the pot to their bowl.
Generally, yeah, Japanese hotpots are communal. There's one particular kind, called shabu-shabu, where you get a plate of thinly-sliced raw pork and swish it around in the pot of boiling broth for a couple seconds just before eating it ("shabu-shabu" is the onomatopoeia for swishing the meat in the water).

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
The Bugle Call: The House of Mirrors

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Spirit Circle

Gotta agree with Fortuna that this one's my favorite as well. Quite long, too. I think it's even just slightly longer than Fortuna's own section. It's the future and things are weird

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Hey all, think I'm going to take a short break from posting. Nothing serious, I just need a little time to focus on personal projects and family stuff. Prince Valiant and Timelets will return at the beginning of December!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

enjoy! we shall miss val

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Owl at Home posted:

Hey all, think I'm going to take a short break from posting. Nothing serious, I just need a little time to focus on personal projects and family stuff. Prince Valiant and Timelets will return at the beginning of December!
Take care and see you soon!

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I love how Sasuke is revealed to be a stone cold badass on the battlefield as befits his status, even if he is a total fop outside it :allears:

e: also I could so go for some sukiyaki right now, it's freezing outside over here

barbecue at the folks has a new favorite as of 17:14 on Nov 17, 2023

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This series is weirdly expert at having the most fantastical locations, mundane plots, and still making me eager to see where they go

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Video Game Cheats n' Beatums

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Video Game Cheats n' Beatums

Been a while since I've had a good laugh while also having my entire body cringe in sympathetic pain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

I've been enjoying the comics thread for over a year now, I won't list every thing I've enjoyed here so let me just say thank you for introducing me to so many things I have enjoyed.

I've finally found something I want to share but before I dive into it; is it okay to link directly from mangadex here or should I put it up on Imgur or something first? Where are you guys linking images from?