Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Nikumatic posted:

this is the thing that fucks me the most, they might have finally gotten my two fifty instead of me continuing to wait patiently for the miyoo flip, but no, they made the loving buttons and d-pad silver instead of black so it doesn't actually look like my childhood gameboy pocket, get the gently caress outta here

Yep. Teal with black buttons would have had me biting my nails.

Prolly gonna get an OLED deck today though.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It seems like a pain to replace the buttons too, pretty much have to dismantle the whole thing

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I don't even think the Pocket's indigo is the right shade to match the GBP I had as a kid.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I can understand not wanting to chase limited colors out of principle, but it's probably worth at least trying tomorrow if you can remember to set an alarm or whatever. Some of the transparent colors lasted for 10-15 minutes.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

if im just emulating im better off with one of the retroid/anbernic devices than a pocket, right?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

STONE COLD 64 posted:

if im just emulating im better off with one of the retroid/anbernic devices than a pocket, right?

For sure. Pockets seem cool as hell but if you don't care about pixel perfect accuracy or anything like that an emulator device is going to be fine.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The Pocket is the ultimate handheld device for classic 2D-based games on GB/GBC/GBA/SNES/Genesis, but if you're more interested in playing 3D-based games on PSX or later, you probably want something from Retroid or Anbernic or whatever.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The pockets screen is seriously gorgeous, I got a Retroid 2S and never use it for anything the Pocket can do because it's just so much prettier. Not to say you must buy one but it's definitely not just only good for cartridge play

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

hatty posted:

These being limited seems lame even by Analogue standards

Don't worry, there will be a new variant out next week

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Yup for a mere fraction of the cost at that for way more power on all but the absolute cheapest ones

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
I've had a Powkiddy X-55 for about a week and have to return it. It is comfortable to hold, and the screen is big, but the left analog is bad and messes up inputs on games. It either doesn't send "right" input or it constantly sends it when I'm not holding the stick. I think I'll just refund and use a usb controllers on my phone for emulation from now on. I don't like the hassle of putting on the controller but for how often I game I think it'll be OK, and I can get PS2 going easily on it as well. I hope the refund with Powkiddy is smooth, they don't let you type in a reason, just upload photos. I did an animated gif hope they figure out what I mean when I marked the reason as "Faulty".

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'd suggest getting another device rather than using your phone

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I thought about getting one of those snap on controller things for my phone then I realized that if I’m going to carry that around might as well carry a dedicated game device

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The good ones are also the same price as an RP2S.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

plus the wear and tear on a device you rely on for safety stuff. Esp the emulation stuff is resource intensive. Its best to diversify.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

hatty posted:

I thought about getting one of those snap on controller things for my phone then I realized that if I’m going to carry that around might as well carry a dedicated game device

that's what I was considering for my Fire 7 "DS". A bluetooth model so I can use it vertically.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rinkles posted:

that's what I was considering for my Fire 7 "DS". A bluetooth model so I can use it vertically.

Did you see they’re remaking that game on switch (along with the sequel that never came to the west)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Did you see they’re remaking that game on switch (along with the sequel that never came to the west)

Yeah by coincidence I picked it up not long after it was announced. I finished it a few days ago (something I failed to do an actual DS despite owning it for ages, partly because of DS' the screen size). It was a charming little adventure game.

The wii sequel did get localized in Europe, so an English version does exists.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Just wanted to say thanks to my miyoo mini for saving the day. I had the world’s longest day today and it ended with being stuck in the drive through at Dominoes to pick up “pizza” for the wife and kids. I had to wait for like 15 minutes and played some Mario 3. It didn’t fix the “pizza” but it passed the time.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

drat your dominos has a drive thru?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Yes. Instead of palatable pizza. Both of the ones in town do. I just can’t stand to eat their food or pay their ridiculous delivery fees.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
This analogue pocket batch seemed pretty attainable

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
It is my birthday so I treated myself to an anbernic 505 :) I was ensorcelled by the oled screen.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

So I know this thread is mostly focused on the lighter/cheaper stuff, and the RP3+ is supposedly still more capable than this, but I'm really falling in love with the Ayaneo Pocket Air. So far I'm really not noticing any of that Android lag that plagued me with the shield, and it's just so drat nice to hold and so pretty.

Apparently there was a bug that caused RGC's original review of the thing to make it look a lot worse than it actually is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxNR5vtZmcQ

Daijisho is pretty great but still behind ES in terms of UI capabilities and generally keeping me glued to the device. I need to look into how to get it to use the scraped videos properly; it seems to want to go to youtube for background videos and stuff, which is neat from a easy-to-use standpoint but when I put my data-only-sim in it I really don't want it to unintentionally use a bunch of bandwidth. It's got an import-from-ES-XML function but it didn't seem to do anything when I tried it. That's kind of the experience of the software across the device really - almost there, good enough with a bit of work, but I'm pretty confident that in 6 months to a year I'll have no reason to go back to the Linux devices. Right now the Ayaneo software doesn't do screen mapping for the controller but hopefully that should be coming soonish.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

hatty posted:

This analogue pocket batch seemed pretty attainable

Yeah they seem to have reached the limit of even the Limited Edition types. I might actually get one if they’re still in stock when I’m done with work.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

njsykora posted:

Yeah they seem to have reached the limit of even the Limited Edition types. I might actually get one if they’re still in stock when I’m done with work.

All but pink and orange are sold out.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

otter posted:

Pink is the only one I don’t hate aesthetically but I still dont like it

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Grassy Knowles posted:

Pink is the only one I don’t hate aesthetically but I still dont like it

The orange spice must flow.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

remigious posted:

It is my birthday so I treated myself to an anbernic 505 :) I was ensorcelled by the oled screen.

I was thinking about the RG505 because it's one of the cheaper T618 devices (I think because of the initial lukewarm reception) and has a the Vita OLED, but I went with the Pocket 2S because it was still quite a bit less and from the sound of it has better ergonomics (I just hope I don't hate the screen too much).

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've never had an Anbernic before. I'm going off the Retro Corps video. All I care about is Mega Drive (RetroArch?) and especially Saturn (stand-alone app?) emulation. Do I have to dick about with any settings for the Saturn or just run it as-is? Do I have to worry about PAL/NTSC roms? I've got the Linux-only version coming.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

otter posted:

Literally the only two colors that make me wince my way out of an impulse buy! Woo.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Got an RGB30 and as people have said the screen is fantastic.
SNES games look particularly great after applying the weird recommendation from Retro Game Corps (8:7 aspect ratio and Integer Scale Overscale). The top/bottom black bars on 4:3 content and even GBA also is not a big deal for a horizontal handheld.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Do people typically pay extra for shipping these things (or use local resellers)? My Retroid isn’t due for two to three weeks.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Rinkles posted:

Do people typically pay extra for shipping these things (or use local resellers)? My Retroid isn’t due for two to three weeks.

I paid extra in that I ordered mine before the 11/11 sale. :'(
Took 12 days from ordering to arrive.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

I just got a credit for $90 at Amazon and I’m thinking of getting that 8-bit arcade stick. I’ll have uses more than just my analogue pocket, right?

8Bitdo Arcade Stick for Switch & Windows, Arcade Fight Stick Support Wireless Bluetooth, 2.4G Receiver and Wired Connection https://a.co/d/dqAG05W

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think I know more people that use the 8bitdo stick as a modding platform than actually use it as it comes.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

njsykora posted:

I think I know more people that use the 8bitdo stick as a modding platform than actually use it as it comes.

Whatcha mean? I’m curious now

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's apparently very easy to replace the stick and buttons, and the base is nice so people will swap the buttons out for better ones, or at least ones they like better. Noted Youtube idiot Bob Wulff replaced the stick with 4 keyboard buttons.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Fu k if. Got it for myself for my birthday, lol.

My partner is getting me the dock and game gear adapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Rinkles posted:

I feel it's worth it if you can find an Amazon listing with a slight markup in price if it has Prime Shipping and thus only have to wait a couple days max fot it