Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
It's maddening that the large streets with a divider in the middle appropriately let you use tram tracks on the divider so they have their own section, but you can't also paint that lane as a buslane which is a pretty common setup in EU

Edit: Streets like these:

No reason the middle lanes that are now reserved for trams can't be turned into buslanes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

How do you get your High-density Residentials to level up to 5?
I pretty much have unlocked all the other signature buildings, but my residential buildings are stuck at lvl 3.2 or something.
They have plenty of parks, sport arenas, HD offices, HD shops around them.

Also my city seems to be in hell loop. I have LD residential, commercial and industry demand maxed out, but no Office or MD/HD residential demand.
I've literally carpetbombed half the map with LD residential. That doesn't sate the demand.
Commercial and industry buildings have huge problem recruiting any workers, but there's still an endless demand for them too.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

MID / HIGH density need mass transit and a school next to them after a certain point.

Also yeah, I limit LD development because it's basically impossible to provide services or effective mass transit to it, so getting them to their jobs is harder.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 17, 2023

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Issaries posted:

How do you get your High-density Residentials to level up to 5?
I pretty much have unlocked all the other signature buildings, but my residential buildings are stuck at lvl 3.2 or something.
They have plenty of parks, sport arenas, HD offices, HD shops around them.

Also my city seems to be in hell loop. I have LD residential, commercial and industry demand maxed out, but no Office or MD/HD residential demand.
I've literally carpetbombed half the map with LD residential. That doesn't sate the demand.
Commercial and industry buildings have huge problem recruiting any workers, but there's still an endless demand for them too.

I've found just not zoning LD to help HD actually get created. My theory is that the RCI shows you wants rather than needs. Everyone wants to live in a house with a yard, but sometimes there is only 100floor residential skyscrapers.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Eight lanes is mass transit enough.
Doh. Completely forgot about mass transit. 100k+ people and still running only with busses.

edit: Did get some MD residential demand by godzillaing 30 squares and built some metros. HDR hasn't improved so far...

Issaries fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 17, 2023

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Thread title should say ignore low density rci or something. I mean its kinda hilarious how it creates a huge trap to ruin your city with sprawl just like real life, but as a game mechanic you really need nuance on how to use it.

My city is at 80k right now I think and every demand bar is pretty much maxed full time. It is so much more important to spend time tightening up the happiness and finances of your desired density types than just paving away at the whims of the meter.

Also I’m thinking that when you open up the rci details window and see a negative modifier for empty buildings that this actually means buildings at less than full occupancy as opposed to actually empty/abandoned.

If I’m correct you can basically murder your high density demand for a long time simply by zoning a few 6x6 towers that can take tons of cims. Even more-so if your constantly slathering low density alternatives for them.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Also, I think my biggest want right now is the ability to zone warehousing and production industries as separate things. loving sucks to need some good employment opportunities for cims but all you get is endless blocks of warehouses because the game wants them for your specialized industries.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I think you’re addressing a symptom.

The game supposedly has production chains but the only control you have over supply of a particular good is to micromanage its tax rate, spin the zoning wheel, and hope.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I wish they would tone down the smoke stacks in industrial zones. My small towns industrial sector is half massive smoke stacks and it looks weird.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I continue to have the exact opposite experience, where the only demand is C even though there are roughly two unfilled jobs for every one filled.

It's basically impossible for my R not to slowly tick up, there are no ennui waves like I've been used to since SNES SC, but goddamn is it slow.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Mandoric posted:

I continue to have the exact opposite experience, where the only demand is C even though there are roughly two unfilled jobs for every one filled.

It's basically impossible for my R not to slowly tick up, there are no ennui waves like I've been used to since SNES SC, but goddamn is it slow.

:same: Only C has high demand, even though they bitch about low customers and lack of staff.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Mandoric posted:

Try building a ton of parks around town and see if that affects the commercial demand at all.

In C:S1 the two (commercial demand and recreational demand) were lumped in under the same bar, might be the same thing here.

Would also be interesting seeing if high density commercial affects the bar differently, wouldn't surprise me if it did something dumb like that.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

My city is yearning for entertainment, but nobody wants to build entertainment commercial businesses. The only entertainment I have is what parks provide, it seems. I also tried setting subsidy rates for those business and seems to give nothing at all... what do I need to do to attract those and tourism businesses to my city?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Entertainment = parks. At the end of the “park research tree” you can unlock something like 4 tourist attractions.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

There are absolutely commercial buildings that sell Entertainment, but apparently they don't do too well here?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
New swathes of both low and high C tend to populate quickly, but just "borrow" workers from the existing ones. Meanwhile, I've slammed down basically full green park coverage and it's done effectively nothing except make low-R demand start dancing between 0% and 25% erratically.

E: Also, it only took me from +4 to +5 "abundance of entertainment".

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

nielsm posted:

There are absolutely commercial buildings that sell Entertainment, but apparently they don't do too well here?
What I meant was that I’ve seen no reason to believe that the Entertainment good sold by those businesses is a thing that will fulfill residents' entertainment needs, despite having the same name.

I could definitely be wrong.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

An endless line of cars that for some reason insist on entering the bus station on the left only to drive around it and immediately exit on the right, instead of using the perfectly good road right in front of them. Entering is extremely slow, causing a huge traffic jam. Is this the new pathfinding at work?

Moving the bus station a bit to the left didn't fix it, but moving it back almost a cell from the road did for some reason.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Martian posted:

An endless line of cars that for some reason insist on entering the bus station on the left only to drive around it and immediately exit on the right, instead of using the perfectly good road right in front of them. Entering is extremely slow, causing a huge traffic jam. Is this the new pathfinding at work?

Moving the bus station a bit to the left didn't fix it, but moving it back almost a cell from the road did for some reason.

Looks like they are trying to get to that parking area in the back, that's the one you can upgrade for additional bus stops right? Might be a solution.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Another traffic jam! This time a tram blocked by pedestrians, and the pedestrians blocked by the tram too. And then three more trams blocked by that tram.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Martian posted:

That's exactly what they're doing in the school pic I posted earlier. I've been digging into it and it looks like you have a jam that the system never cleared (or it keeps being reset by new cars entering the jam), I can still see the icon for yours. I was able to load an older save and see the jam there, just like yours. Once you get the jam cleared they go straight again. I started by just deleting a piece of the big road and rebuilding it.

This is the old save with the jam icon still showing. I've seen this over and over.

I'm starting to lose track of the traffic issues that I'm resolving by deleting and rebuilding segments of road.

RadioDog fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 18, 2023

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

What I meant was that I’ve seen no reason to believe that the Entertainment good sold by those businesses is a thing that will fulfill residents' entertainment needs, despite having the same name.

I could definitely be wrong.

I think they do! I saw bars light up in purple in the entertainment map overlay. Same way as hotels light up in the tourism overlay

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Is there a way to delete smaller sections of road? I just want to demolish a few cells without leveling the entire neighborhood of rowhomes.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Away all Goats posted:

Is there a way to delete smaller sections of road? I just want to demolish a few cells without leveling the entire neighborhood of rowhomes.

It's a little finicky but yes, if you create a new node at the point on the road where you want to delete, you can gain much more control for things like this, or placing crosswalks. The easiest way to do so is to use the alley road type and pull it off at 90 degrees from the point on the road where you want the node added. I am pretty sure nodes persist immediately they are added so you should be able to delete the alley right away. Unfortunately you're probably not going to be able to avoid some degree of demolition with this method, but it's the only one I know of.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
If you pixel-perfect replace it while paused, it'll reattach and cancel the teardown, just like rezoning a dezoned square does.

I'm pretty sure this is the only way to actually remove most bonus road features.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

nielsm posted:

Another traffic jam! This time a tram blocked by pedestrians, and the pedestrians blocked by the tram too. And then three more trams blocked by that tram.

I've seen a fix for that: back the tram stop off from the pedestrian crossing node a bit.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Cim Aunt Beru and Cim Uncle Owen just wanted to do a retirement Harley road trip, then they were killed by a WOKE ANTIFA smart car cim parallel parked single file. Border, Soft on Crime DA's? Impeach!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tarnop posted:

The scale of everything is hosed up, and some of the weirdest bits of design cruft crop up when two incompatible scales collide. Eg having to give commercial buildings a failsafe mode because it's possible for their delivery trucks to get stuck in a traffic jam that lasts longer than it takes for them to go out of business

I renew my dislike of the agent system. It seems like there are so many design concessions made to allow for it, all for the benefit of having traffic jams that last for months.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Away all Goats posted:

You can add a new node to an existing road via the straight-road tool and double clicking on a piece of the road.

- select the road with the number of lanes you want to have
- select the straight-road tool
- double click where you want to delete the road segment from
- select bulldozer, bulldoze that new small segment

Can also be used to create dual asymmetrical turning lanes on a road that's one piece: create a new node in the middle and then convert the new split segments of the road to asymmetrical roads.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Count Roland posted:

I renew my dislike of the agent system. It seems like there are so many design concessions made to allow for it, all for the benefit of having traffic jams that last for months.

I am starting to join you on this. Agents can be great if everything is tuned well and there are no bugs in their pathing......but there are a lot of bugs with the pathing and tuning is exceedingly hard.

edit: I can't for the life of me understand why hundreds of people are taking the train out of town to do shopping while my commercial zones seem to have no traffic.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 18, 2023

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
The mega gridlock seems to be a bug due to service vehicles not having the same despawn rules as cims when they get completely stuck.

I noticed that one of my buildings suddenly had a trash problem and when I flipped on the overlay there were four garbage trucks just a few feet down the road all blocking each other from turning onto the road from the adjacent collector.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

piratepilates posted:

You can add a new node to an existing road via the straight-road tool and double clicking on a piece of the road.

- select the road with the number of lanes you want to have
- select the straight-road tool
- double click where you want to delete the road segment from
- select bulldozer, bulldoze that new small segment

Can also be used to create dual asymmetrical turning lanes on a road that's one piece: create a new node in the middle and then convert the new split segments of the road to asymmetrical roads.

Oh jeez that's much more convenient than my method! Thanks 😊

The latest patch seems to have helped my clinics a bit, treating more people for sure

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 18, 2023

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Ms Adequate posted:

Oh jeez that's much more convenient than my method! Thanks 😊

The latest patch seems to have helped my clinics a bit, treating more people for sure

Using alleys for nodes is still very good if you don't have existing buildings around the road that it'd mess up. Sometimes converting a road will merge two nodes, so trying to have a single road with two different asym turning lanes can require re-making that node, much easier sometimes to just make the alley, convert the turning lanes, delete the alley.

But for trimming roads, especially curved ones, the straight-road node maker comes in handy.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Dont forget you can use the same straight road technique on raised roads to add new columns. I havent fully gotten the hang of it, as sometimes it will automatically remove the old column that was in the way, but other times ill need to delete the overpass segment and redraw it from the new column location.

Still a great tool for when you want to draw under existing raised freeways and dont want to break up your grid spacing/squareness.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That's some drat thick smoke coming from a factory producing food from vegetables and livestock. Are they using wood fired stoves or something?

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
they burn the livestock for fuel, looks like they got a load of pigs in

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
that's just steam, from the canned steamed hams they're making

mmm, spam (steam-ham)

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
joke sucked but no takebacks

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

nielsm posted:

That's some drat thick smoke coming from a factory producing food from vegetables and livestock. Are they using wood fired stoves or something?

maybe they're making kippers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

nielsm posted:

Döbbelböck