Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

The Kingfish posted:

I bought an OLED Steam Deck about four hours ago and the purchase is still pending. Should I be worried?

Yes, always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
play the better lizard game instead

https://store.steampowered.com/app/571880/Angels_with_Scaly_Wings/

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

recommend playing the game where the fascist squirrel gets a beating instead

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1320140/Small_Saga/

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

haldolium posted:

recommend playing the game where the fascist squirrel gets a beating instead

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1320140/Small_Saga/

Played a couple hours of this last night, it's pretty good.

Really feels like an indie game from like 2010 that got all the time and polish it needed to be fully finished, in good and bad ways. Lots of dumb jokes and internet references (especially around said fascist squirrel, King Josh), but it's also got a compelling plot and really nice pixel art. It's not one of those RPGs where you're messing around with equipment and stat points all the time and grinding out XP or whatever, it's more like a series of boss fights with a handful of easier fights in between.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Since I posted in the RPG thread, might as well mention my feelings on Small Saga after beating it:

The good:
The soundtrack is an absolute loving banger.
Incredibly charming and well done sprite work
The plot is pretty fun and does a good job of not winking at the camera. It also comes down pretty firmly on the side of "literally kicking fash out the windows" which is nice.

The bad:
There's a lot of modern slang peppered throughout which doesn't feel great. A lot of 'this is cringe' or 'this is sus' or "uwu softboi". It is what it is but it feels a bit weird at times.
The combat is very easy. Most fights can be won in like two rounds tops and there's rarely a need to do anything but just nonstop attack. I think I healed like twice and that was near the start of the game.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Begemot posted:

Played a couple hours of this last night, it's pretty good.

Really feels like an indie game from like 2010 that got all the time and polish it needed to be fully finished, in good and bad ways. Lots of dumb jokes and internet references (especially around said fascist squirrel, King Josh), but it's also got a compelling plot and really nice pixel art. It's not one of those RPGs where you're messing around with equipment and stat points all the time and grinding out XP or whatever, it's more like a series of boss fights with a handful of easier fights in between.

loving sold, looking forward to trying out the demo.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.half-life.com/en/halflife25/

half life update dropped

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

Since I posted in the RPG thread, might as well mention my feelings on Small Saga after beating it:

The good:
The soundtrack is an absolute loving banger.
Incredibly charming and well done sprite work
The plot is pretty fun and does a good job of not winking at the camera. It also comes down pretty firmly on the side of "literally kicking fash out the windows" which is nice.

The bad:
There's a lot of modern slang peppered throughout which doesn't feel great. A lot of 'this is cringe' or 'this is sus' or "uwu softboi". It is what it is but it feels a bit weird at times.
The combat is very easy. Most fights can be won in like two rounds tops and there's rarely a need to do anything but just nonstop attack. I think I healed like twice and that was near the start of the game.

I wouldn't rate it "bad", its just to fluff out the story which is very good. Putting in the RPG element doesn't make it feel like vn or walking sim which is nice and appreciated and gives gameplay in between but as you say there is not much to it.
Writing and humour is great, and I found the touch of dumb internet posting slang in there charming, also fits the general very left political position pretty good

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1725568991047852311?s=20

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Palpatine was dead, look how that turned out

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am sure someone, somewhere, is going "Hey, those Baldur's Gate 3 guys made a game people liked, right? How much would they charge?"

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I am sure someone, somewhere, is going "Hey, those Baldur's Gate 3 guys made a game people liked, right? How much would they charge?"

God, I hope so.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

I just want 16:9 resolutions and controller support on basic-rear end KOTOR.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Just let them make D:OS3 :negative:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

ZCKaiser posted:

God, I hope so.

Disney boardroom looking at whiteboard that has "wampa romance scene"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CHOICE COD posted:

In a roundabout way.

Thanks, super helpful!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm in a action indie roguelike thing bend right now (played Spelunky, Void Rains Upon her Heart, Nova Drift...) so I was wondering if the remastered version of Risk of Rain is worth it. I have 10 hours in the original and enjoyed it fine, but got distracted by something or other.

It's a fantastic glow up. Sands down some rough edges, backports stuff from 2, adds entirely new stuff of its own, and there's overall More to it. Multiplayer seems to actually function now. In terms of "is it worth the asking price if I already own the original" I'd say yes.

But it doesn't totally reinvent the game either. If you were kinda lukewarm on it to begin with the remaster isn't likely going to massively change your feelings on it. For me personally, I'd put like half a dozen action roguelites ahead of RoRR at the very least.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Lightningproof posted:

the mobile version actually has both of these lol

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/star-wars-kotor/id611436052

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Wargaming.net bundle:
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/wargaming-air-land-and-sea

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sab669 posted:

They have to resurrect Divinity Fallen Heroes with a $200 million budget first.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

They have to resurrect Divinity Fallen Heroes with a $200 million budget first.

I loving wish.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

mycot posted:

Disney boardroom looking at whiteboard that has "wampa romance scene"

Knights of the old republic already has the set up for that.

You can finally gently caress that cat lady like George Lucas intended

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jack Trades posted:

I loving wish.

Is Divinity 2 - Dragon Knight Saga still technically the last one in the series?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Okay I finally picked up and installed Apollyon and I like what I'm seeing

Here is my steam review

quote:

I've only dipped my toes into this so far, but I feel compelled to leave a positive review.

Apollyon is a text-based adventure game with stat-tracking and a clever gameplay mechanic: the board itself with its tokens.

The conceit is that you are an occultic practitioner and you're ready to talk to some spirits/make magic happen/etc, so you set up the big circle board, line up the tokens in a straight line pointing right from the center, and off you go. Each turn you move three tokens in their orbits (as far as I can tell, move the token as much as you want, just make sure to move three separate tokens!) and then receive three cards. Each card has an event - something as simple as "because the sun is bright, token A shifted up a slot and token B shifted down" to something as complex as a short story with choices. The choices can then invoke stat checks, or simply checking your luck, or using an item, or or or...

Effectively the meat of the game is the huge amount of text hidden in these cards. You're playing to read more stories, make more choices, try to unlock more lore and items and more, and then - when you are ready - you slide all the tokens back to the line they were in at the start and you're done. Hopefully alive, too.

The writing so far is quite good, in my opinion! It's set in a dark fantasy world with lots of evocative imagery and strange creatures to meet and talk to. I feel like I've found a ten volume fantasy epic and I can only read it in a random order, with random pages at my disposal - but that's perfect, I love exploring like this. Everything is interesting.

There's more stuff too - new characters to start the game as (that I haven't unlocked), a co-op feature, and more. Again, I've barely even touched this game, but it feels like something I've wanted for so long and only just found. Cultist Simulator vibes, but not written by a jerk and not with frantic plate juggling.

There's weird entities out there and I want to talk to them!

And here's the store page if that sounds like your alley: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1472060/Apollyon_River_of_Life/. It's still 12$ for a few more days.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Half life 3!!! Free

https://store.steampowered.com/app/70/HalfLife/

everwake
Aug 9, 2021

Discord: everwake#0311
Steam: Everwake
Xbox: everwake#3338
PlayStation: everwakePS
Nintendo: SW-0815-2733-9404
Mastodon: https://gamepad.club/@everwake

This is disrespectful to those of us who paid full price 25 years ago.

Way to support your biggest fans Valve.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

lol, I still have my boxed copy, published by Sierra Studios, around here somewhere. It's in mint condition!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

tango alpha delta posted:

lol, I still have my boxed copy, published by Sierra Studios, around here somewhere. It's in mint condition!
Same. Got the original copy through a mail-in order/promotion at like 50% off with Return To Krondor and had never heard about it before. Granted, I don't think anyone had at that point.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I'll never forget the first time I fought the soldiers. The AI was loving incredible and annoyingly difficult. That's something that's always bothered me about Halflife 2; the AI never seemed to be as good as the original.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

tango alpha delta posted:

I'll never forget the first time I fought the soldiers. The AI was loving incredible and annoyingly difficult. That's something that's always bothered me about Halflife 2; the AI never seemed to be as good as the original.

it's because the Combine soldiers don't Yell! What! They're! Doing! as they do it

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Lightningproof posted:

You have to gently caress around with mods, but I recently replayed it in 16:9, including rescaled swoop racing and upscaled cutscenes (to avoid the resolution change).

Controller support though I haven't attempted. Bet you could make some gnarly steam input stuff.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

it's because the Combine soldiers don't Yell! What! They're! Doing! as they do it

the combine soldiers talk to each other constantly. it's more heavily distorted/processed than the marines and they use a lot of made-up jargon but they do describe in pretty close detail what they're doing and how they're reacting to you

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Hwurmp posted:

Related video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfoTP0Yyidk

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The Combine soldiers die too quickly to show their AI.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also it seems like that big Grim Dawn patch is out now? I saw the patch notes at least.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Weedle posted:

the combine soldiers talk to each other constantly. it's more heavily distorted/processed than the marines and they use a lot of made-up jargon but they do describe in pretty close detail what they're doing and how they're reacting to you

Yeah, it's mostly talking in really sterile, disconnected, or medical terms. It's why the one bark for "oh gently caress we got wiped out" is "OUTBREAK OUTBREAK OUTBREAK" - the last one standing can't contain you/the resistance forces any longer, but everything they say or do is like that. The PA system does the same thing along with advertising for joining the Combine forces and has an ongoing narrative for how much Gordon's loving up the place

They're no genome soldiers from FEAR with their constant freaking out at slow mo and grenades though lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 17, 2023

Weedle
May 31, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, it's mostly talking in really sterile, disconnected, or medical terms. It's why the one bark for "oh gently caress we got wiped out" is "OUTBREAK OUTBREAK OUTBREAK" - the last one standing can't contain you/the resistance forces any longer, but everything they say or do is like that. The PA system does the same thing along with advertising for joining the Combine forces and has an ongoing narrative for how much Gordon's loving up the place

They're no genome soldiers from FEAR with their constant freaking out at slow mo and grenades though lol

i love the "outbreak outbreak outbreak" sample. the way more urgency and panic creeps in with every repetition makes me feel so badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

Also it seems like that big Grim Dawn patch is out now? I saw the patch notes at least.

Not just now, but yesterday! Get with the times old man!

On a related note, should I just... Not pick up all these crafting components the game vomits at me?