Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I mean, the seemingly very mundane horrors of K-Corp district in part 1 of Canto IV ended up being a major part of how the K-Corp singularity is produced, so.... Like I'm not super invested into this and fully admit that I am likely to be wrong, but the whole unspeakable horrors of Great Lake being just a fancy U-Corp fishery would fit PM pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

YES bread posted:

at most its just indicative that its not going to be U-corp's main thing since all the corps have very tight grips on their singularities and the revenue streams they generate. these are the mundane every-day horrors of the first act after all

Ah yeah, none of the maritime industries stuck me as U Corp's main thing, as with all Wings that's probably Singularity related tech. The fishing industry is simply something that is somewhat prominent amongst people that actually live there simply due to them actually having access to the Great Lake.

Speaking of U Corp, I still want to learn how exactly those stasis canned foods relate to their Singularity. Are the cans in a constant state of low-grade resonance tuning to remove contaminants or something? This is the most important question

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
My theory is that the while Resonance Fork unites stuff in an ideal way, the impurities are discarded elsewhere, which is why you have the mudflat vs beach comparison in 4.5. The Whales (and by extension Mermaids) were created by the aftereffects of U Corp Singularity usage that they have since monetized, all the deaths that are caused due to the Whales/Laws/Syndicates are ignored because number go up.

It's an industrial pollution metaphor.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

microfolk posted:

I love Don's :3: face in the base art, but I'm not a big fan of how her breasts are accentuated in the upgraded art. Limbus has been pretty good thus far but some artworks definitely feel more sexualized than they have ever been in the previous games.

I might have said that about Boatworks Ishmael(ironically), but... I really don't get this description for this specific art? Like, sure, she's got boobs and she's not wearing much of a top, but I wouldn't say it reads as more sexual than something like the aforementioned Boatworks Ishmael or Sayo.

Seconding everyone else in absolutely loving this canto so far-Ishmael's voice acting was incredible. (I'm also glad for the Don English moment.) The pacing is way better than C4, and the entire final fight was incredible. The character interactions were great too.

As for theories, I don't have any particular theories on the nature of U Corp's singularity/what exactly the whales and mermaids have to do with it, but I do think that with Ishmael's explanation of how mermaids are created it's very likely that we'll run into at least one member of the Pequod's former crew transformed.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Toad is the new thread Luxcavation for Saturdays. :3:

And holy poo poo, bring negative SP IDs, it's SP drain when you go into fight with 0 Sanity and no EGO resources is rough.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I'm also not really upset with there being some more sexualized or skimpy versions of a character for some IDs as long as it's not overwhelming. One of the annoying things about the argument of 'well, the character chooses to dress this way' is that they don't, it's a creator decision, and often used to justify skimpy or male-gazey designs or depictions in media that's already oversaturated with the male gaze. So, I think the rate at which characters are given sexier designs matters too. Limbus Company is pretty good at keeping things buttoned up, pun intended, so I don't feel like it's cheap or objectifying for, say, Rodya and Hong Lu both to get extreme cleavage in their Kurokumo IDs, especially since PM is doling out the fanservice in equal proportions for the men and the women.

Also, yeah, Sayo and Meow were skimpy as hell, and Gebura's bodysuit is definitely intended to look a certain way.

Arkanian
Sep 18, 2013

My current random theory atm is that Queequeg is going to turn out to be one of the sillhouettes in the opening, probably in Demian's group. Thus far someone from each Sinner's past has been working with one of those two, and given the implication that Ahab is merged with the whale it's probably not the captain. And there's too much setup for that character for them to not become important at some point.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Oh, also, I really appreciate the implications from LCCB Ryoshu's ID Story combined with the events as they went in our timeline that instead of starting a fight she couldn't win and then getting disguised as the team leader so she'd survive as a hostage like Pilot, Ryoshu thinks a Big Brother showing up is a great turn of events because she can play the most dangerous game of cat and mouse and doesn't have to worry about any of her loving useless teammates loving things up for her. Bad luck for the Twinhook pirates that the 'rookie' of the group they ambushed is a highly skilled, extremely dangerous psychopath, I guess.

Numbus26
Jun 23, 2023
My current theory in regards to what we've seen so far: The clear implication is that the Whales and Mermaids are the result of using the resonance tuning forks on animals and people, or at least a similar effect. But it seems reasonable to assume that, given the whaling themes on display at the port and the fact that it's drawn from Moby Dick that the opposite is true, and that resonance tuning forks are themselves created from the Whales somehow, probably from their bones? The doubt I have from that is how the pirates are already making tons of stuff out of whale products, but it seems likely that there's be some other form of manipulation required to make the resonance forks.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Hrm. Crack theory time.

Outis, despite being an experienced sailor, had little to no idea about what the whales were, while Ishmael, having just come
off a tour of duty on a boat, did. This indicates to me that the whales are a more recent thing. Say...last ten years or so? After the Smoke War which we know Outis served in?

While L Corp was operating?

Maybe Dante went "wait this feels like an Abnormality" because that's exactly what it is - a rogue Abnormality that escaped from the L Corp branch and vanished into the waters. That would explain why we seem to be able to get EGO (Blind Obsession) of the hand monster that attacked us.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 18, 2023

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

GilliamYaeger posted:

Hrm. Crack theory time.

Outis, despite being an experienced sailor, had little to no idea about what the whales were, while Ishmael, having just come
off a tour of duty on a boat, did. This indicates to me that the whales are a more recent thing. Say...last ten years or so? After the Smoke War which we know Outis served in?

While L Corp was operating?

Maybe Dante went "wait this feels like an Abnormality" because that's exactly what it is - a rogue Abnormality that escaped from the L Corp branch and vanished into the waters. That would explain why we seem to be able to get EGO (Blind Obsession) of the hand monster that attacked us.

Dante actually says they get this feeling from the mermaids, that part doesn't mention the whales. so rather than them being escaped abnos, whatever the whales are doing to humans is similar to the creation of abnormalities and distortions

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Lord_Magmar posted:

Next two identities announced. Little Brother Meursault and Little Sister Don. The Middle are Yakuza as hell (and extremely Jojo).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZJhsuvvltk

Don sound like a combination of Greta and Tanya and I can't unhear it now.

Meursault seem to be that autistic guy that has so much rizz he is everyone idol.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

YES bread posted:

Dante actually says they get this feeling from the mermaids, that part doesn't mention the whales. so rather than them being escaped abnos, whatever the whales are doing to humans is similar to the creation of abnormalities and distortions

Whale oil is Cogito.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Anyone else think that the Big Brother is wearing a Telepole EGO?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

GilliamYaeger posted:

Anyone else think that the Big Brother is wearing a Telepole EGO?

Ehhhh, it's the same purple glow as the tattoos that Don and Meursault have. I think it's more likely that Telepole/Alleyway Watchdog is inspired by the Middle's effect on the subconscious if there's any connection.

Numbus26
Jun 23, 2023

Lord_Magmar posted:

Ehhhh, it's the same purple glow as the tattoos that Don and Meursault have. I think it's more likely that Telepole/Alleyway Watchdog is inspired by the Middle's effect on the subconscious if there's any connection.

Given the name of the Abnormality and the implications it creates, I could definitely see that.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i think it's just lighting and you're kinda overthinking it

yes it's me the no fun allowed guy

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Can we talk about the fact that every tier 3 thread luxcavation is poo poo? Bronze Bull lmao. They added 5 protection to Tour Guide so it's impossible to stagger him on the capitivity turn.

Who thought fighting Toad when you start at 0 sanity was a good idea?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
What do you mean “added?” That was always there, it’s attached to the block skill iirc so you need to clash the block with a low speed character.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
They're not poo poo if you just do them once and then sweep from there on out every time like I've always done with the Thread luxes :v:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Minor correction LCCB Ryoshu still got given the leader badge but then managed to break out of the shipping container and start killing pirates???? Amazing.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Now I'm wondering if the pawnbroker Rodya killed had older siblings in the Middle, or if she were under the protection of Big Siblings of the Middle. Given everything, I'm inclined to think both, as in, she had older siblings that joined the Middle and when she got axe murdered they were either high enough rank to order the massacre entirely on their own or they ran to a superior that had that authority.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1973530/view/7423682540490272510?l=english
So Canto unlock, EXP 5 is locked behind doing all of part 2, and W Yi Sang was giving a little extra charge barrier on his s3, so that's being fixed and we're getting more free lunacy.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1973530/view/7423682540490322898?l=english
We have middle ID details now, and they're introducing some new poo poo as you'd expect. Bleed effects, new status Mark of Vengeance for the enemy that deals the most damage, but the real meat is that they want absolute resonance, especially Envy.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Hard to say how good those IDs are even disregarding numbers. On one hand, synergizing with R Heath and W Ryoshu (and L Faust/Hex Nail) is a big deal, but the lack of W Don and reliance on Absolute Resonances might be an even bigger deal breaker.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
New Don reminds me a lot of Grippy Faust, complete with the skill 3 that heals SP on a kill. Unless their coins suck terribly, I imagine they'll actually be solid for a certain playstyle.

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah this is the kind of design that gets better and better as more id options come along, even if it’s niche now it’s just waiting on some synergistic purple skills. The biggest plus right now is that it’s a bleed don option, which is a status gimmick that’s hungry for good enablers.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

It also makes purple defense havers better, since you can easily Envy A-Res on demand if you can just Have An Extra Envy whenever you want.

And since Telepole is also Envy....

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Who cares about Middle Don? Just leave her out and hope for a combo of Quick Suppression -> Chains of Loyalty -> Rip Space

Like sure Middle Don benefits from this. You know who else also benefits from a Envy A-Res buff? W Don.

Re: Bleed Don, having more bleed potency is nice, but I thought Bleed teams were hurting for bleed count? I'm sure there'll be a bleed count Middle ID, but both Don and Meursault only increases the potency, not count.

Marluxia fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 20, 2023

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
Almost every status team is suffering from the critical disease of Not Having A Full Team Of People Doing The Thing, and bleed is no exception

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Marluxia posted:

Who cares about Middle Don? Just leave her out and hope for a combo of Quick Suppression -> Chains of Loyalty -> Rip Space

Like sure Middle Don benefits from this. You know who else also benefits from a Envy A-Res buff? W Don.

Re: Bleed Don, having more bleed potency is nice, but I thought Bleed teams were hurting for bleed count? I'm sure there'll be a bleed count Middle ID, but both Don and Meursault only increases the potency, not count.

Bleed has less issues around getting count, you just have to run a lot of N Corp Units (because the way Nails work gives a lot of count). But also Bleed and Rupture intentionally have issues stacking count because they potentially do a lot more damage than Sinking and Burning do. Tremor doesn't even do real damage by default, which is why it's the status easiest to get count on.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Yeah. I've said it before, but since Rupture can forever break the balance of the game if there's even one balancing fucky wucky that allows you to megastack Count on it, PM will never allow it to be good.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

Bleed has less issues around getting count, you just have to run a lot of N Corp Units (because the way Nails work gives a lot of count). But also Bleed and Rupture intentionally have issues stacking count because they potentially do a lot more damage than Sinking and Burning do. Tremor doesn't even do real damage by default, which is why it's the status easiest to get count on.

N Sinclair doesn't do particularly well on bleed team, but if I'm reading Meursault's support passive right, it's the faction of the lowest SP sinner, not Middle. Could be helpful in keeping Sinclair relatively stable alongside a bleed team including N Corp. Not so helpful with the Envy Res condition, though. I think only Faust and Heathcliff has envy S1s, and lol @ using anyone who isn't R Heathcliff.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Marluxia posted:

N Sinclair doesn't do particularly well on bleed team, but if I'm reading Meursault's support passive right, it's the faction of the lowest SP sinner, not Middle. Could be helpful in keeping Sinclair relatively stable alongside a bleed team including N Corp. Not so helpful with the Envy Res condition, though. I think only Faust and Heathcliff has envy S1s, and lol @ using anyone who isn't R Heathcliff.

Unfortunately if you are running N Corp you might just want N Meursault anyway. Both of middle Meursault's passives work off of "faction" though. Which makes him generically good as a support passive option if you're running themed teams that don't need/have room for him.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Can we talk about the fact that every tier 3 thread luxcavation is poo poo? Bronze Bull lmao. They added 5 protection to Tour Guide so it's impossible to stagger him on the capitivity turn.

Who thought fighting Toad when you start at 0 sanity was a good idea?

all the thread luxes seem to have huge dick moves, besides the puppet

fox starting with 4 umbrellas and thus more total actions than sinners also isn't great, same with fairy gentlemen leading off with his "be tipsy or perish" move(spice yi sang somehow outclashed this but it was v. rude)

that said they're all not that bad since their numbers have been adjusted but still

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 21, 2023

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lt. Lizard posted:

Hard to say how good those IDs are even disregarding numbers. On one hand, synergizing with R Heath and W Ryoshu (and L Faust/Hex Nail) is a big deal, but the lack of W Don and reliance on Absolute Resonances might be an even bigger deal breaker.

consistent A. Res isn't a tough ask at this point if you build a team around it, though Envy is one of the more troublesome ones. The question is if it'll be worth it, given how a lot of the game's strongest skills are Envy there's potential for some very stupid burst damage turns. Meursault's S2 in particular is potentially very, very stupid.

also Don may have the first good counter in limbus history(outside of rain heathcliff who doesn't count), if part of an an Envy A.res chain it changes to her S3 and becomes Envy itself. That's still very situational but at least there are situations where you would want to use it which for counters is a bold new direction.

e: unfortunately neither inflicting Bleed Count means that the bleed kinda doesn't matter much.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 21, 2023

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

been wondering for a bit: what triggers musical notes to pop up during fights, and how long has that detail been around?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Yinlock posted:

fox starting with 4 umbrellas and thus more total actions than sinners also isn't great, same with fairy gentlemen leading off with his "be tipsy or perish" move(spice yi sang somehow outclashed this but it was v. rude)

Fairy Gentleman's always done that.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
I have to say, I'm enjoying using KLu, telling him to block an incoming attack with his face. With Gregor you'd always have to earn that health back but KLu just gets it back.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

I'm already at 57 on the BP more or less just from the MD2 weekly hardmodes and I can't imagine that even with the timegating PM would want people to be this ahead. I expect that anyone staying up to date with their dailies and weeklies is probably even more ahead, maybe in the upper 80s?

So I have to ask, with tinfoil firmly coiled around my head, have gatcha games ever done progress resets over people blasting too quickly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

KazigluBey posted:

So I have to ask, with tinfoil firmly coiled around my head, have gatcha games ever done progress resets over people blasting too quickly?

Well, if you beat RR2 too quickly (i.e. by using a glitch), ProjMoon took all the prizes off you - including the Lunacy.