Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...
X can’t shirk FTC privacy settlement, or block Elon Musk’s deposition

quote:

In court on Thursday, X attorney Daniel Koffman said there has been “uncommon and alarming conduct by a government agency.”

Elon Musk and X, the social media company formerly known as Twitter, can’t get out from under the thumb of the Federal Trade Commission, a federal judge ruled.

In an 11-page order issued less than an hour after a hearing in San Francisco federal court on Thursday, U.S. Magistrate Judge Thomas Hixson ruled he has no authority over the FTC’s administrative proceedings and declined to throw out or pause the settlement. He also said he has no authority to bar the agency from deposing the company’s owner and former CEO, Elon Musk.

X has accused the FTC, led by Chair Lina Khan, of misconduct and bias against both the company and Musk. X claimed the FTC issued an inappropriate barrage of demands for documents and testimony accusing it of not complying with the settlement after Musk took control of the company in October 2022. The agency’s bias against the company necessitates nixing the settlement, the company said.

In court on Thursday, X attorney Daniel Koffman said there has been “uncommon and alarming conduct by a government agency.” Central to those allegations is the claim that the FTC pressured Ernst & Young, the auditor overseeing compliance with the settlement, to make a finding that the company engaged in misconduct.

Yet in his ruling, Hixson said his order approving the settlement is separate from the administrative agreement X entered into with the FTC, a matter he has no authority over. Hixson said his oversight is limited to enforcement of a related $150 million fine and the FTC’s cooperation with the Justice Department in the investigation.

An FTC spokesperson declined to comment. A spokesperson for X did not immediately respond for comment.

Twitter has had a consent decree with the FTC since 2011 to resolve cybersecurity vulnerabilities that resulted in data breaches in 2009. The order put strict requirements on the company, including mandated independent audits of its privacy and security practices. The order was renewed last year due to violations of the previous 2011 order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

holtemon posted:

Gonna boycott IBM now cause of some poo poo they did 90 years ago

imagine participation in genocide being described as "some poo poo", oh wait

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

the FTC are evil

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
elon should just simply purchase adverts for his myriad of companies on x, the everything app. bing bong so simple.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

moooooooom the ftc are being mean to me again. its ok son, here's a horse

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
why are the graphs in those post posted side ways / rotated 90 degrees?

is this a new standard for phone meme masters/shitposters?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Mama Musk, Elon so persecuted! Elon needs his drinkie!! *sucking and groping motions*

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

PhazonLink posted:

why are the graphs in those post posted side ways / rotated 90 degrees?

is this a new standard for phone meme masters/shitposters?

It's just a lovely graph but unrelated, you can bypass Xitter's image filters by rotating images 90 degrees

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
kay i get doing that for the espen pic moose personally flagged. but weird regressive poo poo data probably isnt flagged.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Look, one of Elon's peers reviewed it and posted it on X so it's "peer reviewed," alright?

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Waffle House posted:

I might eat a probe for this, but I just wanna say: This dude Elon Musk is loving retarded

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

You have said the actual truth

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I don't know if it's come up in this thread already but what is the deal with apparently every ad on twixter for the last few weeks being some guy with an AI-generated portrait posting their own name and nothing else and turning off replies? I know ads have gone to poo poo anyway and lol something something dealing with the bots, but, like, what's the theory here.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Fedule posted:

I don't know if it's come up in this thread already but what is the deal with apparently every ad on twixter for the last few weeks being some guy with an AI-generated portrait posting their own name and nothing else and turning off replies? I know ads have gone to poo poo anyway and lol something something dealing with the bots, but, like, what's the theory here.

money laundering. somehow.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Tim Apple is pausing advertisements on X THE EVERYTHING APP

https://www.axios.com/2023/11/17/apple-twitter-x-advertising-elon-musk-antisemitism-ads

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

priznat posted:

Yeah Musk may be stupid as gently caress but he is also cruel which is his main flaw. I don't know if he could have been as successful if he wasn't a stupendous rear end in a top hat tho

yeah, its not just that, its him being a 00s online edgelord. He reminds me alot of myself but dumber when i was 15 and i thought being a troll edgy guy was super loving neato but then i grew emapthy and it bit me in the rear end so i learned i was dumb and wrong. Elmo never had that. everything is dumb joke game to him but he is so invested he spent 44 billion on it and now its just sad.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
wasnt moose in his 30s in the 00s.

also that paypal pic showing off his great great genes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

PhazonLink posted:

wasnt moose in his 30s in the 00s.

also that paypal pic showing off his great great genes.

probably. idk. i know he is 50 something now. way to old for this type of stupid poo poo.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
isn't elon a hebrew name

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

R.L. Stine posted:

isn't elon a hebrew name

Just looked it up and it sure is.

Elon is a gender-neutral name of Hebrew origin, meaning "oak tree." This biblical name first appeared in the Old Testament as the masculine Elon, a prominent judge in Israel and member of the Zebulun tribe.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

He'll be back in under a month for sure

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

kazil posted:

He'll be back in under a month for sure

Assuming things stay the same probably, but Elon Musk is not a man who tones himself down when he's hurt/angry/upset

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
My sense from the last round of Elon vs Apple is that Apple wanted to avoid a big “woke boycott” a la Budweiser. Cowardly.

I think they’re sufficiently less worried Elon will be capable of doing that in the current climate.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

probably. idk. i know he is 50 something now. way to old for this type of stupid poo poo.

He has had his development arrested somewhere around puberty and will never mature

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I kno nothing matters but I think at this point most of these evil corps are ok with dumping x. It’s clearly not getting any better and what traffic are you really pulling in on those ads.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

god I hope more than anything his rocket blows up tomorrow

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

kazil posted:

god I hope more than anything his rocket blows up tomorrow

At this rate, it might flip around during takeoff and just aim for elon

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I know musk is a coward because he hasn't flown on his own rockets.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

holtemon posted:

Gonna boycott IBM now cause of some poo poo they did 90 years ago
lmao that Nick Mullen got pulled from an IBM Super Bowl ad for tweets he made about their activity during the 1940s in Germany

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

rotinaj posted:

At this rate, it might flip around during takeoff and just aim for elon

Inshallah may the rocket be guided by His hand

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
The rocket will be an overwhelming success and all the advertising money is gonna come flooding back to x.com just you wait

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
The woke mind virus has spread so far and wide, you can’t even advocate for just a dash of hating immigrants (specifically Jews) without everyone losing their minds

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

sounds like musk needs another visit to the apple garden

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

older post but :laffo: calling Elon Musk the CEO

Someone forgot all about the YACC ATTACK #sports #fashion #girlboss

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Elon is successfully progressing towards his pledge to lower the share of ad revenue in Twitter finances. Keep on winning, Elon!

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er

God his face is so ugly and melty looking. There's nothing inherently wrong with plastic or whatever cosmetic surgery, but I think we all remember the paypal pic. It just makes me laugh everytime imagining how much money he's inevitably wasted to mold it to his specifications.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
Sam Altman just got shitcanned as CEO from OpenAI today, so mark that down as another loss for that person

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nobody ask these companies who are NOW suddenly rushing to pull advertising why they didn't pull advertising last time when he reinstated the CSAM guy or when he got rid of verification or any of the previous times that would have been opportune

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Going to need to french a Rabbi to get back the lost advertising lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Data Graham posted:

Nobody ask these companies who are NOW suddenly rushing to pull advertising why they didn't pull advertising last time when he reinstated the CSAM guy or when he got rid of verification or any of the previous times that would have been opportune

Then they wouldn't get the cycle/half cycle of positive headlines from publicly "pausing" their ad buys.