Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
*Kramering into the thread, huffing and drenched in sweat*

DEBBIE DINGLEBERRY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
strap in, it's time for some friday succ

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1725454973704536304

quote:

Why the era of the ‘Emerging Democratic Majority’ is collapsing
John Judis and Ruy Teixeira, co-authors of “The Emerging Democratic Majority,” are back with a new book that argues that the Democrats are imperiled by a “shadow party” that is forcing them into “radical” positions on cultural issues and diverting them away from their core economic issues.

Twenty-one years ago, John Judis and Ruy Teixeira wrote a book that defined a political era.

In “The Emerging Democratic Majority,” Judis and Teixeira argued that America’s demographic destiny belonged to the Democrats.

A left-of-center coalition of minorities, young people, women, and knowledge economy professionals was going to allow the Dems to break through the political stalemate that defined the early 2000s and perhaps even create an FDR-style realignment.

Two years after the book’s publication, in 2004, Barack Obama was elected to the Senate from Illinois and he seemed to be the perfect avatar for this new Democratic majority.

In 2008, Obama put together the very coalition that Judis and Teixeira described in their book and he won the White House. Democratic strategists pointed to the Judis-Teixeira theory and confidently predicted that their party now had a lock on the Electoral College.

Then, Doanld Trump [sic] came along and picked the lock.

Now, Judis and Teixeira are back with their explanation about what happened.

And their new book, “Where Have All the Democrats Gone?”, is not likely to be embraced so warmly by the party that they both say they want to succeed.

“Democrats,” they write, “need to look in the mirror and examine the extent to which their own failures contributed to the rise of the most toxic tendencies on the right.”

John Judis and Ruy Teixeira have been important intellectuals in many of the left’s prestige institutions: The New Republic, the Center for American Progress, and the Brookings Institution just to name a few.

But in their latest book, Judis and Teixeira point to two culprits that, despite the electoral successes of the Biden era, they believe are crippling the Democrats’ long-term potential.

One, is pro-Wall Street, pro-Silicon Valley economic policies embraced by Bill Clinton, Obama and other party elites for decades.

And two is what they call the cultural radicalism of the modern progressive movement, which they dub the “shadow party,” and that they argue is alienating working class voters on four key issues: race, immigration, transgender rights, and climate.

In perhaps the most controversial chapters of the book, they argue that on those four issues Democrats should be occupying a middle ground somewhere between Trump and the far left, but instead have been pushed to the extremes by the activists of the so-called shadow party.

apparently there's an audio "deep dive" but lol i ain't listening to that poo poo

the middle ground suggested by cap: ongoing death, poverty, and deprivation for most, access to better outcomes for some! the system works!

but we gotta move right. america is always right, never left.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Exclusive: Debbie's Hackles Rattled More by Staff Clash than Capitol Battle

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

man you lost you dont have to be an obama-caliber generational disappointment

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

so the lesser of two evils was donald trump?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ex post facho posted:

apparently there's an audio "deep dive" but lol i ain't listening to that poo poo

the middle ground suggested by cap: ongoing death, poverty, and deprivation for most, access to better outcomes for some! the system works!

one of these things is not like the others

quote:

Today, there are a multitude of factors that have driven working-class voters out of the Democratic Party. They include:

Democrats’ support for trade deals that led to factory closings in many small towns and midsize cities in states that were once Democratic strongholds.
Democrats’ support for spending bills that the working and middle classes paid for but that were primarily of benefit to poor Americans, many of whom were minorities.
Democrats’ enthusiasm for immigration of unskilled workers and the party’s opposition to measures that might reduce illegal immigration.
Democrats’ support for strict gun control.
Democrats’ insistence on eliminating fossil fuels.
Democrats’ use of the courts and regulations to enforce their moral and cultural agenda, whether on the sale of wedding cakes or the use of public men’s and women’s bathrooms.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Debbie Dingus

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Scarabrae posted:

shut up you old bitch

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
lmao the dems are just as racist about immigrants as the republicans. i have no idea where people get this pro-immigrant thing from

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

do they even talk about gun control

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

How about this? If we don’t prevent a republican from taking office in 2025, it will be your last chance to vote. There won’t be another chance once they’ve installed their fascist systems. The rhetoric you’re using is just designed to empower fascism, because their voters are fanatical precisely because they don’t believe in democracy.

How do people who believe this explain the fact that Trump was President for 4 years and democracy didn't end?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

How do people who believe this explain the fact that Trump was President for 4 years and democracy didn't end?

he was saving it all for the second term, much like how joe is gonna be totally leftist next time please vote

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Verso has a new, good, book on that out

who or what is a verso

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The Pussy Boss posted:

Oh, he tried to end democracy 5-ever, but *insert combination of people voted, he was too inept, he did as much damage as he could but he'd really need another 4 years to finish the job*

Basically, he laid the groundwork and that's why it's imperative to accept that this MOST IMPORTANT ELECTION EVER is the most important election ever.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Al! posted:

lmao the dems are just as racist about immigrants as the republicans. i have no idea where people get this pro-immigrant thing from

NYC Dem mayor just trashed the entire public school, library and sanitation dept while using the constant drumbeat of racist scaremongering about the Migrant Crisis as the primary justification. A successful campaign coordinated between the mayor's office, democratic party and liberal media to keep the public pressure up for months to make this happen.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

ex post facho posted:

same poo poo different decade

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

In Training posted:

NYC Dem mayor just trashed the entire public school, library and sanitation dept while using the constant drumbeat of racist scaremongering about the Migrant Crisis as the primary justification. A successful campaign coordinated between the mayor's office, democratic party and liberal media to keep the public pressure up for months to make this happen.

and then they bitch that they cant get people to fill those jobs. its a mystery!!!!!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

sorry dems but i prioritize actual current genocide vicitms of joe biden over the hypothetical even more genocided people that will get super genocided if i dont vote for genocide joe

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The blame for not getting elected does not fall upon the voters.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

The blame for not getting elected does not fall upon the voters.

wow, a radical terrorist!!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

quote:

In perhaps the most controversial chapters of the book, they argue that on those four issues Democrats should be occupying a middle ground somewhere between Trump and the far left, but instead have been pushed to the extremes by the activists of the so-called shadow party.

Hmm...yes...we'll find an acceptable middle ground between acceptance and extermination of trans people. What a brain genius.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

quote:

Then, Doanld Trump came along and picked the lock.
that dastardly Doanld

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Pussy Boss posted:

It's incredibly important, Morso than previous elections in a way just like 2016 was and 2020 was. Before, they were just elections. Now, we're suddenly fighting for the very existence of the USA as a Democratic republic.

Just look at the consequences of everything that's happened. 2016 was a critical election because it showed the GOP they don't really need to pretend anymore. than could throw off the veneer of respectability and go full fascist. As a result, we basically lost the Republican party as a series of internal purges happened, leaving us with what it is now, a party dedicated to establishing well, not just a fascist dictatorship, but a kleptocracy as well (which is why they're so enamored with Russia).

And look at all the damage to the country and the world that was done as a result of their winning.

2020 was important because it showed the Democrats that despite how far our democracy had been eroded, we could still fight and get it back. We stopped a insurrection from overthrowing 200 years of USA freedom, and prevented one of the worst countries in the world (Russia) from reestablishing itself as a world power.

2024 is all about seeing if America can continue to fight against what the GOP is doing, or the democratic win was just a fluke, a last gasp before ourr country basically dies.

I've lived through elections since the 1970s and up until 2016, no election cycle has ever been like this. It's the kind of poo poo I'd love to read about in the history books, but I really hate living through.

edit; and before you dismiss me as just some wacky liberal, I was Reagan Youth, I pounded pavement for his campaign. And my politics haven't changed all that much since then. The GOP changed, not me.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

is this guy for real

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
So the first Judis and Texeira argument was "demography is destiny", that certain demographics were soon going to be the majority and those demographics were Dem-aligned, thus the Dems would be winning forever without lifting a finger. Their second argument is that those same new demographics, that made the Dems permanent winners of politics, are now also driving the Dems away from winning because their opinions are too toxic for the country to stomach.

So which is it? They can't both be right. If they were so wrong the first time, why should we trust they got it right this time?

yes i know theyre just spinning fairy tales into book sales

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's incredibly obvious that the problem is that the Democrats only ever want to put up a veneer of caring about things and are glad to let anyone in their inclusive club die of being very poor

Because that's equality

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

...and prevented one of the worst countries in the world (America) from reestablishing itself as a world power.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Why does the 2000 election never come up for the Democracy is Dying crowd anyway. Bush stole an election and then did 9/11. It's old hat.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Trump wants to steal the election to post really high engagement tweets and make fun of dead military vets. That's not worse than embarking on the wholesale slaughter of 5 million Arabs to secure more oil fields.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

[sees endless series of polls where democrats completely ignore what their voters want and instead pursue the policy goals of the bipartisan elite] the dems are the only bulwark to save democracy

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Hmm...yes...we'll find an acceptable middle ground between acceptance and extermination of trans people. What a brain genius.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

party supports and aids an ongoing genocide

this is the party of freedom and democracy

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

In Training posted:

Why does the 2000 election never come up for the Democracy is Dying crowd anyway. Bush stole an election and then did 9/11. It's old hat.

One confirmed, but probably two elections!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Trabisnikof posted:

It's incredibly important, Morso than previous elections in a way just like 2016 was and 2020 was. Before, they were just elections. Now, we're suddenly fighting for the very existence of the USA as a Democratic republic.

Just look at the consequences of everything that's happened. 2016 was a critical election because it showed the GOP they don't really need to pretend anymore. than could throw off the veneer of respectability and go full fascist. As a result, we basically lost the Republican party as a series of internal purges happened, leaving us with what it is now, a party dedicated to establishing well, not just a fascist dictatorship, but a kleptocracy as well (which is why they're so enamored with Russia).

And look at all the damage to the country and the world that was done as a result of their winning.

2020 was important because it showed the Democrats that despite how far our democracy had been eroded, we could still fight and get it back. We stopped a insurrection from overthrowing 200 years of USA freedom, and prevented one of the worst countries in the world (Russia) from reestablishing itself as a world power.

2024 is all about seeing if America can continue to fight against what the GOP is doing, or the democratic win was just a fluke, a last gasp before ourr country basically dies.

I've lived through elections since the 1970s and up until 2016, no election cycle has ever been like this. It's the kind of poo poo I'd love to read about in the history books, but I really hate living through.

edit; and before you dismiss me as just some wacky liberal, I was Reagan Youth, I pounded pavement for his campaign. And my politics haven't changed all that much since then. The GOP changed, not me.

prime succ

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

In Training posted:

yeah it owned

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the antisemetic left has no shame

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

ex post facho posted:

the shadow party is what happens when you take too many tylenol PMs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle