Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Barry Foster posted:

Charlie_Kelly.txt

:hmmyes: they just need to get another cat to go in there and lure the first one out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I love my kitty

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
So recently, between mid-September and mid-October, I had to say goodbye to both of my 21+ kitties. However! One week ago today, I got a new cat! She is the first cat I have had still has all her claws and I want to know if anyone here can share any tips/tricks to getting her to scratch on approved posts/material and not on the furniture? Thanks!

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
We currently have six cats, and only one of them will claw anything other than a cat tree or cat scratching post. As long as you provide them with the goods, they tend to stick with those scratching surfaces. And honestly, the one that will scratch the couch doesn’t really do it too often anymore, we yelled at him enough where it has deterred him for the most part.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Scratching post on one side of the room, one of those horizontal infinity scratchers on the other, positive reinforcement when she uses them. Keep a can of duster handy and set it off when she occasionally goes too hard on the rug

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Yeah I guess observe how they like to scratch (vertically, horizontally, etc) and place a similarly oriented scratcher in front of/by what they’re scratching. Give them praise/pets/treats when they scratch appropriate scratcher.

Eta: My cats don’t seem to like cardboard but love sisal. So maybe experiment with surfaces too.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Treat after scratching the post worked for my cats

...though one of them was too smart and started occasionally making sure I was watching and then just kind of touching the post and walking over for her treat lol. Sadly she passed away 2 years ago, but she was a funny cat

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Melomane Mallet posted:

So recently, between mid-September and mid-October, I had to say goodbye to both of my 21+ kitties. However! One week ago today, I got a new cat! She is the first cat I have had still has all her claws and I want to know if anyone here can share any tips/tricks to getting her to scratch on approved posts/material and not on the furniture? Thanks!

Masking tape. Put strips of it on the legs of your couch or chairs or whatever. Cats don't like the feel of it. Eventually you can probably take it off once they get used to using other appropriate things.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
Somebody on this site was extremely vocal about cats hating their belly/lower chest being rubbed, and that is very much not the case for mine. He entered a state of what can best be described as oceanic bliss, as opposed to it being a severely traumatizing betrayal of trust. I consciously try to avoid listening to goons, but sometimes things just rub off on you and I never actually tried it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Every cat likes a belly rub sometimes!

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

nice obelisk idiot posted:

Somebody on this site was extremely vocal about cats hating their belly/lower chest being rubbed, and that is very much not the case for mine. He entered a state of what can best be described as oceanic bliss, as opposed to it being a severely traumatizing betrayal of trust. I consciously try to avoid listening to goons, but sometimes things just rub off on you and I never actually tried it.

VelociBacon posted:

Every cat likes a belly rub sometimes!

I feel like telling people not to touch the tummy is general advice for most cats. I woundn't try and touch a random kitties tummy who rolled over for me, I don't know them that well. But you know your own cats and their limits.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Even our feral-born girls turned out to love belly rubs, once they trusted us enough. Definitely unexpected. That kind of general advice is useful for cats you don’t know very well but ultimately they’re all individual.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Beep is a belly rub boy for sure but he will let you know when to stop with a claw in the wrist and maybe some teeth if you are slow.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
One of mine loves belly rubs, the other one will tolerate them but prefers chin rubs

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010
My cat is really into armpit scratches.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

For Little Miss, belly rub means playtime! I do need to trim her nails before i play with her like that again, but she's good about not chomping too hard.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
My boy enjoys belly rubs if his front paws are supported. He needs that security, plus something to make biscuits with (belly rubs are biscuit time).

Holding his paws he's happy as can be.

Not holding his paws it's an insta-flip unless he can find a handy face to hold.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I've got a cat who adores belly rubs, tail rubs, toe bean annoyance, and loves being held more than anything in the world. But if you try to hold her on her back, she'll actually protest.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

an iksar marauder posted:

One of mine loves belly rubs, the other one will tolerate them but prefers chin rubs

I'm sure all cats do this but I've only ever had Quill, and when you start scratching under her head she'll stick her little chin out, like literally somehow she'll push her bottom lip forward and that's her telling you she wants the chin scratches.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I'm sure all cats do this but I've only ever had Quill, and when you start scratching under her head she'll stick her little chin out, like literally somehow she'll push her bottom lip forward and that's her telling you she wants the chin scratches.

Pavarotti does the same thing and it's very cute. He also will move his whole head and neck around while you make a scratching motion with your hand so that he can get all his favorite spots

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I don't think most cats dislike belly rubs as such, it's just most get very quickly overstimulated which leads to biting/scratching/playfighting which people then interpret as them not liking it.

I can pet Pepper's belly very gently if she's very sleepy but only for a little bit before it becomes too much.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Two cats ago I had a cat who loved having her nipples scritched. No, this was not my idea. When I scritched her belly, she would roll over to put her nipples in the line of fire.

Cats, man.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

We are trying to keep nail caps on our ~6 mo old kittens because we can't afford for them to damage our furniture/clothes/house/friends. We're looking for some tool to make that easier. We've tried the towel wrap trick with limited success, and haven't successfully gotten all 18 caps on either of them yet.

Does one of these make it easier? And what do these slings attach to? Some sort of stand?

https://www.amazon.com/Grooming-Hammock-Supplies-Clippers-Adjusting/dp/B09CL7F2MF?th=1

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Can't you just keep their claws clipped?

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
Dear goons, we recently adopted two kittens and I'm pretty sure one of them is losing her baby teeth given that she is currently gnawing on everything she can get to, my arms included.

Luckily the sour apple spray has gotten her away from power cords but I don't really want to bathe in that stuff. I've been trying to redirect her into other things and make loud ouch sounds when she nibbles on me but so far I've had no luck. Anyone have good wisdoms for getting her through this? I hate that she's suffering and I really don't want to accidentally teach her the wrong thing while adjusting her to her new home.

Cat tax featuring Neko Robin and the Cat Currently Known As Prince.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Our cat outright demands belly rubs, to the extent that he will grab my arm, pull it off the keyboard, and stretch out directly onto my hand.

Unfortunately his way of showing affection in return is to try and punch me in the throat as often and as hard as he can.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We got a belly rub lover who is in possession of illegal amounts of belly fluff.

https://i.imgur.com/5PxLxD9.mp4

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

Can't you just keep their claws clipped?

We keep their nails trimmed but it is not really as effective as the caps. Without the caps they can still easily hook their claws in rugs and certain fabrics.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

We've been unpacking stuff. Diana is always thrilled at and overstimulated by unpacking in general, especially the part where she jumps into the empty boxes. My son was walking down the hall when he found a dead mouse deposited at the foot of the stairs, a mouse that we all agreed hadn't been there earlier in the day. "Pay attention to meeeee, idiots!" Fortunately (for us) it wasn't mutilated, just dead.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

kreeningsons posted:

We keep their nails trimmed but it is not really as effective as the caps. Without the caps they can still easily hook their claws in rugs and certain fabrics.

It probably feels bad for the cat to have the caps on.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

well, the cat's anxiety issues were fixed with fluoxetine, aka prozac

so now the cat is better medicated than i am

and the pharmacy does hand-delivery, which means the cat has a better healthcare network too.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

kaom posted:

Our cats turned out to have worms as well, which we also discovered when some got puked up. Apparently pretty common, they can even pick them up as nursing kittens from their mom.

We sent a photo to our vet and got a broad spectrum dewormer which we administered to both our cats. They come either as pills or as creams you can rub in. It wasn’t a huge deal in our case, since IIRC it was roundworm, so we just had to do the treatment twice across a specific time window (the first dose won’t kill worms that are still in egg form, they have to hatch and develop mouths to die in the second round) and wash/disinfect stuff around the house.

Some types of worms are more serious than others so IMO you’ll want someone who knows what they’re talking about (not me) to identify what you’re dealing with to at least rule out the nasty stuff. (But it looks a lot like what we had to me, too.)

On the advice of our veterinarian we ended up getting a broad spectrum dewormer for all four cats. One thing that has changed is the two kittens frequently had dried crusty eye discharge and after the dewormer application that has ceased which makes me wonder if it was a general immune response to an infection which has now ended.

Anyways all four kitties are happy now.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

It probably feels bad for the cat to have the caps on.

It’s literally recommended by the OP?

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Is it normal to see the tip of your male cat's dick from time to time? We've had our cat for a few years but he has very long fur and I've literally never seen his penis at all until the last week when I saw just the tip of it sticking out a little, once when he was grooming himself and once just now when I was patting his belly. I'm just wondering if that might be a sign of a UTI or something, he's otherwise acting completely normally but he's been very good at hiding injuries in the past. He's an indoor-outdoor cat so we don't see him pee up-close but we do see him spraying various bushes and trees outside in the morning and he's still drinking too. Could just be coincidence too, or maybe I haven't really ever looked before.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

kreeningsons posted:

It’s literally recommended by the OP?

It's still something that would change the cat's experience of moving around and doing stuff. I assume some cats could get used to it and some won't (which seems to be true of anything for cats).

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Blackhawk posted:

Is it normal to see the tip of your male cat's dick from time to time? We've had our cat for a few years but he has very long fur and I've literally never seen his penis at all until the last week when I saw just the tip of it sticking out a little, once when he was grooming himself and once just now when I was patting his belly. I'm just wondering if that might be a sign of a UTI or something, he's otherwise acting completely normally but he's been very good at hiding injuries in the past. He's an indoor-outdoor cat so we don't see him pee up-close but we do see him spraying various bushes and trees outside in the morning and he's still drinking too. Could just be coincidence too, or maybe I haven't really ever looked before.

Yeah that's fine. I think you only need to worry if it's visible for a long time but beyond that I am not a vet.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Maybe a long shot, but does anyone in here own a Litter Robot 3-- and have experience with the rapidly-flashing Yellow Light error?

The issue first showed up for me a few weeks ago when I found the litter robot stuck in the empty-position with the light flashing rapidly. A quick debug said it was the pinch sensor. I pulled the globe and tray off and sure enough it looked pretty corroded and caked in litter. I cleaned it off as best as I could and it seemed to go back to normal.

Maybe 2 days ago I again found it in the empty position with the yellow light flashing rapidly. I initially thought about trying to clean up the contacts but they were heavily corroded, so instead I removed them and made a little metal jumper to short the two spade terminals.

This video talks about doing the same thing to permanently disable the pinch sensor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=visJGmSiIkY

Anyway, I shorted the terminals, reassembled everything, and I'm still getting the rapidly flashing yellow light, so I guess the problem must be somewhere in one of the control boards or something else.

One other issue I've had is related to the night light and/or plastic hoop. It seems that in the dark, when the LR3 would cycle it would intermittently stop. I had found people saying to turn off the night light and try again, and that seemed to fix the problem. I'm not sure if the issue there is the night light circuit board going bad, or just that the contacts to the roll hoop were not great. That problem hasn't returned since turning the night light off.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I've gotten that a few times. Unplugging it for 10-15 seconds will usually reset it. Sometimes takes a few tries.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, I had that error persistently. I contacted the company and they replaced the base under warranty free of charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Ugh, Ferdie's always had a strong stomach but two days ago he had a bit of diarrhoea. A normal poo this morning and then a gross, liquidy, farty one this afternoon. He seems fine in himself but if he does it again he's off to the vets.