Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

ishikabibble posted:

...Isn't the B-variant specifically meant for short take-off and vertical landing? :confused: I always thought the vertical takeoff portion was just like, something that came along with that ability and maybe has some use in emergency situations.

I'm pretty sure even the AV-8Bs the USMC flies are operated that way too.

Well, whatever the actual reason Marines had besides "getting their own model", they were the ones who wanted the B-variant with VTOL/VSTOL-capabilities, and don't have ski-jumps on their carriers which would enable them to operate more conventional designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Der Kyhe posted:

the US Marines think that the curved take-off ramps in small carriers look dorky.

In the Marine Corps' defense they do look dorky

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Der Kyhe posted:

The B-variant definitely is. The entire VTOL is unneeded dead weight that works only if you either fly the thing basically unarmed, or have tanker flying around for immediate refill before doing anything useful with the plane. And the only actual reason to have one is because the US Marines think that the curved take-off ramps in small carriers look dorky.

For "maybe Russian propaganda?" 33.3% right is more correct than usually.

:lol: I saw one of those dorky things landing at Miramar a few weeks ago. IIRC only the US Marines decided they desperately needed VTOL, to replace their Harriers on LHD ships

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Vampire Panties posted:

:lol: I saw one of those dorky things landing at Miramar a few weeks ago. IIRC only the US Marines decided they desperately needed VTOL, to replace their Harriers on LHD ships

If you laugh and point at it you'll hurt its feelings, then it spits out the pilot and blogs about it on Instagram it as it nosedives into the ocean.

Pot Smoke Phoenix fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 17, 2023

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Ok so since this is the pro-NATO thread and I'm going to need to everyone write at least five words about why you like the F35 so we don't hurt it's feelings.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

weg posted:

Ok so since this is the pro-NATO thread and I'm going to need to everyone write at least five words about why you like the F35 so we don't hurt it's feelings.

The A-variant seems OK after all, and it has demonstrably been able to operate from a Finnish highway airbase so it isn't the hangar queen everyone says it is. I've also heard nice things about the C-variant.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

weg posted:

it is trying it’s best

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

weg posted:

spawned lots of great posts

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

weg posted:

I am not opposed to flying an F35 in Ace Combat 7 so really what right do I have to complain otherwise

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Looks cooler than the X-32.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
Has not shot itself down(?)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

America, gently caress yeah, Ligma Balls

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So about those bridgeheads across the Dnipro river?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

TK-42-1 posted:

it is trying it’s best

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

EorayMel posted:

Who needs jets for fighting and transportation when you can use the peerless power of your brain the size of a semi-truck to teleport yourself anywhere and also blast things you don't like with lasers?

The ultimate dream of western Air Power (but only for officers and only if you have a degree)

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

weg posted:

F-35 rules. Mig aircraft drool.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

McGavin posted:

Looks cooler than the X-32.
:wrong:

Budzilla posted:

F-35 rules. Mig aircraft drool.

That's true though

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I'd like to argue that mig is fun to say

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Sprey jerks over the F-35

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
if you have VTOL needs, the osprey is right there

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

HonorableTB posted:

if you have VTOL needs, the osprey is right there

because it has had another accident

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The F-35 has over 200 pounds of sapphire in it and I think that's pretty special.

Set
Oct 30, 2005

weg posted:

Please, be nice to the F35 everyone!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Der Kyhe posted:

Well, whatever the actual reason Marines had besides "getting their own model", they were the ones who wanted the B-variant with VTOL/VSTOL-capabilities, and don't have ski-jumps on their carriers which would enable them to operate more conventional designs.

The F-35B has proven incredibly popular among people operating ski-ramp carriers.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I'd like to argue that mig is fun to say

America in shambles over this particular unbeatable fact, sorry Ukraine

It's true tho

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

The F35 is fine, eventually.

Set
Oct 30, 2005
This is the other article about the Cyprus Confidential leaks, I said I would translate. This is bit of more of a analysis or summary of the entire situation, I guess. It is quite clear that Russian money moves about quite a bit, even ignoring the sanctions, because of greed and corruption in the banking system. Which is not that big of a surprise to be honest, but interesting to see analyzed in the light of the leaks.

The important bit to remember is that this money isn't just for oligarchs fun funds, in the shape of villas and yachts, but goes directly to supporting the invasion in Ukraine, as propaganda and weapons/mercenaries. The oligarchs exist because of Putin, so their money is his.

Author: Jyri Hänninen
Date of release: 17.11.2023
Link to untranslated article: https://yle.fi/a/74-20060607

quote:

Analysis: The information leak revealed more of Putin's little helpers - this is why the Kremlin's dirty money is a problem for Europe

The lure of Russian money has been so great that even the bloody war in Ukraine has not made all of Europe close the Kremlin's money taps, writes Yle reporter Jyri Hänninen.

How many oligarchs can fit on one island? Many tens, if you're talking about Cyprus.

A new leak published on Tuesday, Cyprus Confidential, revealed that 67 oligarchs have owned or managed companies in Cyprus at some point. And now we are not talking about small businessmen, but very rich and influential oligarchs like Gennady Timchenko and Roman Abramovich.

Abramović is known especially as the former owner of the British football club Chelsea. Timchenko not only has a Finnish passport but also exceptionally close relations with Russian President Vladimir Putin. According to the US, Timchenko is actually a kind of Putin's wallet. According to the claim – which Timchenko has of course denied – Putin has access to the oligarch's money if he wants to.

Through Cyprus, the oligarchs have owned yachts, luxury real estate, valuable art and private planes, but also shares in, for example, large Russian companies. Bacchanals of Putin's inner circle have been going on in the island nation.

Any money was fine

The most significant finding of the new data leak is how Cyprus and the various consultants operating there have been operating. The island nation is an EU country, and it should comply with the economic sanctions agreed upon by the Union. However, based on the leaked material, Cyprus has not been overly precise in this matter.

For example, the respected auditing and consulting company PwC helped Aleksei Mordašov, one of the richest men in Russia, in a billion-dollar arrangement, the purpose of which seems to have been to avoid EU sanctions. PwC did not comment on its individual clients to the international journalists' organization ICIJ, but said it was complying with the sanctions. Mordašov, on the other hand, said that he always followed the laws of all countries in his activities.

The leaked 3.6 million documents originate mainly from six so-called service provider companies (offshore service providers). These service providers are a kind of lifeblood of the tax haven economy that keeps the system going.

They establish companies for their customers and manage their practical affairs. The world's most famous company in the field is the Panamanian Mossack Fonseca, from which the 2016 data leak Panama Papers originated.

Service providers and consulting companies can be appointed as Putin's little helpers. For decades, they have helped oligarchs close to the Kremlin and large Russian corporations move their assets to tax havens. However, the money does not stay in Cyprus, Panama or the British Virgin Islands, a significant part of it has ended up in the West.

No critical questions have been asked about the origin of the money, even though everyone knows how corrupt Russia is.

Handy EU passports

Cyprus turned EU citizenship into a business. The island nation had its own "golden visa" program, granting citizenship to individuals who invest in the island nation. According to ICIJ, 2,869 Russians received Cypriot citizenship through the program. This generated an income of almost seven billion euros for Cyprus.

An EU passport guarantees free movement in the Schengen area and visa-free travel to many countries around the world.

Cypriot citizenship was acquired by many oligarchs and Russian businessmen and their family members. Among them is also Igor Kesaev, who is close to the Russian intelligence services. The businessman is also known in Finland. He owns his own island in Puumala, which, however, is currently confiscated. Kesaev is on the EU sanctions list.

Perhaps it will not come as a surprise that Kesaev has also run his business through his Cypriot companies.

The Kremlin decides how to spend the money

Why should an ordinary Finn care that the Russian oligarchs have run their funds through the EU country Cyprus?

The oligarch's money is not only the oligarch's. Russia's corrupt system works in such a way that Putin can practically dictate where the funds are spent. It could mean getting a yacht for Putin or buying a hockey team in the West, because the KHL hockey league needs to expand. Or something much darker.

Funds can be directed to Russian propaganda and disinformation, intelligence service operations in the West, or running one's own private army. According to Russian independent media and Western media, Gennady Timchenko has financed and possibly owns the mercenary company Redut, whose troops have also fought in Ukraine. Timchenko has reportedly not publicly commented on his connections with the mercenary army.

The money circulated through Cyprus and other tax havens is therefore not necessarily used only to buy a nice Renaissance villa in Italy, but to kill people in the raging war in Europe.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The fact that any of the big four accountants are still respectable is a disgrace, because they're all neck deep in Putinist collaboration until they were forced to halt business by the latest invasion.

Names to remember:
PWC
EY
Deloitte
KPMG

All are UK headquartered though they will pretend "oh that's just the Russia office it operates autonomously ;) "

As accountancy partners are just replaceable salesmen anyway, I don't see why we shouldn't drag every single one of them through the courts and demand they prove their innocence

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I used to work for EY being trained on pega rules process commander and they made me wear a full suit and tie every day in the Georgia heat despite never seeing customers or clients of any kind. EY and others like it are sociopathic institutions

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Sedgr posted:

The F35 is fine, eventually.

mods?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
EY I'm griftin' 'ere!

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.

Strategic Tea posted:

As accountancy partners are just replaceable salesmen anyway, I don't see why we shouldn't drag every single one of them through the courts and demand they prove their innocence

As a former public accountant, I'm cool with this.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I am firmly convinced EY would commit crimes against humanity if an audit demanded it. They are the literal definition of soulless mercenaries and it's a company of glorified accountants

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Rest assured that they do already commit crimes against humanity on a daily basis.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

if an audit permitted it. you wouldn’t have to twist their arm

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I was once given a disciplinary writeup because my tie was loosened while I was hunched over trying to diagram a business process using software shat out of satan's fetid rear end in a top hat

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

The F35 is good because it lets us give our F16s to Ukraine

Darse
Jan 14, 2008
Wake up young man.
My partner works for KPMG, she's not client side so not a monster. I do enjoy linking her every news story where her employer does some crooked and illegal poo poo.

Pretty much a daily occurrence.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Agreed. Also, the production model was going to look very different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Blistex posted: