Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What's the difference between offering a credit and just reducing the sales price? I guess it means the agents get more and there's a bigger transfer tax?

It's for people who can not afford the house they are buying to have some cash in hand and/or pay the closing costs they didn't bother to find out about until the very end. And they're financing it for 30 years with their house as collateral (i.e. it's rolled into the mortgage - the seller isn't giving them anything). See also: "seller assist."

If that what sells your house at the right time and the right price go for it. It's not your problem they're gonna be house poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

priznat posted:

It feels like the market will go bananas in the late spring once rates start going a bit lower so would be nice to get a new purchase done now.
I cannot emphasize enough that you have no idea what Federal rates will do in the late spring, nor does anybody else this far out. And mortgage rates are tied to Federal rates.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
The stock market is betting on a few cuts, but still high overall. https://www.cmegroup.com/markets/interest-rates/cme-fedwatch-tool.html

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I cannot emphasize enough that you have no idea what Federal rates will do in the late spring, nor does anybody else this far out. And mortgage rates are tied to Federal rates.

It's a pretty interesting thought process anyway.

"Need to hurry up and buy a home at higher rates before they go down and more people want to buy... because... of lower rates..."

If you don't have a need to buy right this minute and you think the rates will go down, waiting works for you anyway.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It sounds like timing the market, which is nothing more than gambling with the pretense that you're not.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Unless of course you have insider information. But if you knew in advance what the Fed was going to do, and this was how you decided to profit off that information, then props to you for being astonishingly principled, frankly.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
anyone here have any experience with buying or selling in a "community property" state like Texas? My mom ran into a snag with the title where she was told the guy she married a year after buying the house and divorced four years ago could have interest in the house? What is the process here? the guy is a drunk and a drug addict and contributed nothing during the two years he lived there. Do we seriously need to track him down and get him to sign a paper?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

hatty posted:

anyone here have any experience with buying or selling in a "community property" state like Texas? My mom ran into a snag with the title where she was told the guy she married a year after buying the house and divorced four years ago could have interest in the house? What is the process here? the guy is a drunk and a drug addict and contributed nothing during the two years he lived there. Do we seriously need to track him down and get him to sign a paper?

That is a question that can be answered specifically by her divorce attorney as it was their job to take care of this at the time of filing.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Is there an apartment hunting thread anywhere on the forums? Since search engines went to poo poo, that's gotten a bit harder.

Handsome Rob
Jul 12, 2004

Fallen Rib
We just had an offer accepted on a house in RI (hooray). Built in 2005, inhabited since by the guy who built it/had it built, a guy who's a minor figure in the neighborhood real estate scene. Problem: turns out he never had anything inspected by the city, ever. Some permits were pulled when they started building but nothing ever got signed off on.

We knew there was no certificate of occupancy when we made the offer ("just a chimney that needs to be a few feet higher," the realtor said) and have a clause in the contract requiring an unconditional CO before closing. We can also get out penalty free for a couple weeks. How much of a mess is this? Should we be running away or proceeding carefully? On the one hand, the seller's a dolt and trusting that he built this thing right with no oversight terrifies me. On the other hand, it's an incredible house and it's stood for 18 years without (obvious...) damage.

My instinct is to try to pause the sales process until there's a CO, giving us 10 business days from the permanent CO to have the place inspected and/or back away. But I don't know what the city inspector would do, or what to get our inspector to do.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
If it were me, I couldn't trust that there's not a million ticking time bombs in that house. You'd have to tear the entire thing open to properly inspect it, at which point it'd largely need to be rebuilt. So yeah, I'd walk away.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Motronic posted:

But if you want to sell your house for the market price in a reasonable amount of time you're going to pay 5% or a bit less if you Redfin it, which likely will extend the time it takes to sell it.

Do you mind expanding on why Redfin will extend the time it takes to sell the home? Eyeballing a February list and considering using Redfin so would love to hear more about experiences with them

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

hobbez posted:

Do you mind expanding on why Redfin will extend the time it takes to sell the home? Eyeballing a February list and considering using Redfin so would love to hear more about experiences with them

Buyers' agents get paid out of a split from the sellers' agent fees. Redfin agents get paid less, so buyers' agents are disinventivised from showing Redfin-represented houses to their clients.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

Cerekk posted:

Buyers' agents get paid out of a split from the sellers' agent fees. Redfin agents get paid less, so buyers' agents are disinventivised from showing Redfin-represented houses to their clients.

Ah. I thought they just took a cut out of the sellers agent fee and left the buyer agent's fee intact at a market rate. Still tempting, especially in this slow market where realtors seem to be pretty hungry. Volume is down so seems like a safe bet buyers agents aren't especially choosey at present.

hobbez fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 18, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I don't know the last time someone told me they bought a house their agent found vs one they found.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Lockback posted:

I don't know the last time someone told me they bought a house their agent found vs one they found.
I bought long-distance. I don't remember if my agent found the original link (we were exchanging a lot of links), but she was a big part of the purchase. She warned me off houses I'd found that were unsafe (pier foundations in an earthquake area), had weird features (a parking turntable at the top of the hill because the road up was one-lane), unsuitable to our needs, and so on. She did personal video tours for us of several houses: not the canned kind some realtors offer, but walking through a house with her phone on, streaming video and telling us what she thought.

That meant that we only made the drive up for tours of the ones that looked like a really good fit. We couldn't have bought without a local agent, and ours was so good I wrote a reference letter to her management.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Lockback posted:

I'm not saying a buyer shouldn't have a local agent. I'm saying that I think it is likely local agents will still show your home even if their commission is on the low-end because there just aren't many homes being sold right now.

I think in a hotter market with a lot of high quality inventory this perhaps holds less true.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
When I sold an inherited house in a trust our attorney advised us that anything over 5% commission isn’t typical for the area and that a beneficiary could potentially raise flags. Of course our real state agent vehemently disagreed but when we told her we’d have to go with someone else she magically dropped it down from 6%. Having said that she still kept her 3% and the buyers agent got 2%.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cerekk posted:

A good reason to ignore whatever your agent wants to show you and instead tell them which houses you want to see, I think it's probably just boomers that need their hand held but even my retired mom got very familiar with redfin, zillow, and realtor.com when she was looking to move.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

A good reason to ignore whatever your agent wants to show you and instead tell them which houses you want to see, I think it's probably just boomers that need their hand held but even my retired mom got very familiar with redfin, zillow, and realtor.com when she was looking to move.

My father just turned 60 and whenever I mention moving somewhere he starts sending me zillow listings from the area. I feel like only the most old-fashioned, technologically inept buyers aren't doing most of the leg work themselves these days. It is an increasingly small segment of the market.

All the more reason to not sweat 1% getting chopped off the buyers agent commission, money moving directly into my pocket.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

We’d look at anything we wanted but the only warning of note we got was from OpenDoor homes having foundation issues pretty consistently

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

George H.W. oval office posted:

We’d look at anything we wanted but the only warning of note we got was from OpenDoor homes having foundation issues pretty consistently

Algo fast flippers burning VC cash aren't good people to buy you home from? WHAT? Who could have known?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Some buyers agents will make you sign something saying they get 3% and you need to make up the difference if they don't get that from the sale. I wouldn't suggest going with that type of agent though.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

spwrozek posted:

Some buyers agents will make you sign something saying they get 3% and you need to make up the difference if they don't get that from the sale. I wouldn't suggest going with that type of agent though.

That provision is a filter, like when scammers intentionally add spelling and grammar mistakes to an email

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

QuarkJets posted:

That provision is a filter, like when scammers intentionally add spelling and grammar mistakes to an email

Unfortunately a lot of people don't like reading.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

spwrozek posted:

Ours is 1.5%, which seems reasonable.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Well our offer on a stupidly expensive house was accepted, hope we didn't make a big mistake! On the other hand, what good is money, anyway.

The driveway is slightly encroaching on the neighbor according to the seller's survey, hopefully I don't have to saw off a few inches.

Edit: of course we are trying to close quickly during the holiday season, so the kids had to stay home sick right when we're trying to apply for financing.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

PerniciousKnid posted:

The driveway is slightly encroaching on the neighbor according to the seller's survey, hopefully I don't have to saw off a few inches.

Get your own survey. Then make the seller deal with it before closing, and either modify the driveway so it is no longer encroaching or convince the neighbor to sign an easement

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
This underwriting discussion is alarming to me since I parked a bunch of cash in SGOV while chanting, "Die! Die! Die!" at the housing market.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Handsome Rob posted:

We just had an offer accepted on a house in RI (hooray). Built in 2005, inhabited since by the guy who built it/had it built, a guy who's a minor figure in the neighborhood real estate scene. Problem: turns out he never had anything inspected by the city, ever. Some permits were pulled when they started building but nothing ever got signed off on.

We knew there was no certificate of occupancy when we made the offer ("just a chimney that needs to be a few feet higher," the realtor said) and have a clause in the contract requiring an unconditional CO before closing. We can also get out penalty free for a couple weeks. How much of a mess is this? Should we be running away or proceeding carefully? On the one hand, the seller's a dolt and trusting that he built this thing right with no oversight terrifies me. On the other hand, it's an incredible house and it's stood for 18 years without (obvious...) damage.

My instinct is to try to pause the sales process until there's a CO, giving us 10 business days from the permanent CO to have the place inspected and/or back away. But I don't know what the city inspector would do, or what to get our inspector to do.

Complete distrust of his work aside, if the permit expired then you may need to bring it up to current code, not 2005 code. I'd check with the jurisdiction (and maybe clue them in while you're at it). I've had to bring a few unpermitted 'owner specials' into compliance and it's a total pain in the rear end. Time and materials, no cap is the only way I'll touch one these days.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
How expensive is it to fix a cracked joist above the unfinished portion of the basement?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

How expensive is it to fix a cracked joist above the unfinished portion of the basement?

Anywhere between $1 and $5,000.

(i.e. you need a quote form someone who can look at the job and is willing to do the job in your area)

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Yeah it depends so much on the details.

Assuming everything is completely accessible it's a matter of sistering in a new joist, after jacking the existing one back into position slowly over time (assuming the crack has led to it sinking).

Now, if you can't access the entire span... Not fun.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Jenkl posted:

Yeah it depends so much on the details.

Assuming everything is completely accessible it's a matter of sistering in a new joist, after jacking the existing one back into position slowly over time (assuming the crack has led to it sinking).

Now, if you can't access the entire span... Not fun.

I think that I can. We agreed to pay for the first $5000 of inspection findings in our offer, so I'm trying to figure out if any of this stuff will exceed that. The floor isn't sagging or anything, so I'm assuming this would be on the cheaper end to fix. (Or if it's covered by the 10yr structural warranty.)

Also they put trim around the garage circuit breaker so it can't be opened, what the hell is that about.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

what the hell is that about.

It's about the size code violation that completely destroys any chance of getting a C of O if you're in a place that requires that sort of thing on a property transfer.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Motronic posted:

It's about the size code violation that completely destroys any chance of getting a C of O if you're in a place that requires that sort of thing on a property transfer.

Well it's not required here but I'm debating if it's worth asking the seller to remove the trim so we can get the garage breaker inspected.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yes, because there's two reasons they'd do that: gross ignorance, or intentionally trying to hide something. In the first case you still want to see the state of the insides, especially if it's been sealed shut for many years, and in the second case... well, that should be obvious.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Well it's not required here but I'm debating if it's worth asking the seller to remove the trim so we can get the garage breaker inspected.

Yes you should. Not that any small thing is a deal breaker but you'll want to know the state of any breaker box in the house.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Yes, because there's two reasons they'd do that: gross ignorance, or intentionally trying to hide something. In the first case you still want to see the state of the insides, especially if it's been sealed shut for many years, and in the second case... well, that should be obvious.

I guess I'm sort of unclear on what the inspector is even looking for with respect to the breaker, aside from just checking that the switches work. Are they looking for something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

I guess I'm sort of unclear on what the inspector is even looking for with respect to the breaker, aside from just checking that the switches work. Are they looking for something else?

Yes. They are looking at the wire entering the box, how it is terminated on the breakers, the condition of the panel itself and the bus bar among other things.