Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, speaking of which, they went ahead and made it compatible with the Deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
The steam page to HL:source has this note

quote:

Notice: At the request of the publisher, Half-Life: Source is unlisted on the Steam store and will not appear in search.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

flatluigi posted:

it's a bit more relevant given the steam deck these days

The steam deck has a GPU though, the software renderer is for machines without a 3D Accelerator. It renders the game using just the CPU.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Twerk from Home posted:

I can't believe it. They spent the effort to do something that must make fewer than 10 people globally happy, including me.

This better work on Linux Kernel version 2.2.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

ohhhhh this is really neato:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cojawfee posted:

This better work on Linux Kernel version 2.2.

Minimum requirements are a Pentium 133MHz and 24MB of RAM. I know you can get by with a Pentium 100MHz just barely, but 16MB of RAM isn't enough.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

alexandriao posted:

ohhhhh this is really neato:

But what about My Playstation Controller?

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

Minimum requirements are a Pentium 133MHz and 24MB of RAM. I know you can get by with a Pentium 100MHz just barely, but 16MB of RAM isn't enough.

Sorry, are you me 25 years ago?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

E: wrong thread

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 18, 2023

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

CaptainBeefart posted:

But what about My Playstation Controller?

No, only Alexandriao's Playstation controller, gotta go borrow it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
An old Penny Arcade strip in honour of today's steam giveaway:

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2001/01/30/call-upon-holy-might

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1726966948385403191?s=20

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1727714769430339947?s=20

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Deliver us Mars is free on epic

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Styx:Shards of Darkness is free on GOG

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://register.ubisoft.com/acsyndicate/en-US

Assassin's Creed Syndicate is free if you have an Ubisoft Connect account, which you likely do if you've redeemed any of the other free AC games they've given away

Trip Hazard
Jan 17, 2017
Hey, well spotted. I finished AC:Syndicate fairly recently on PS4 and thought it was largely good fun, but had some technical issues on that platform, so this version is welcome

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Waffleman_ posted:

https://register.ubisoft.com/acsyndicate/en-US

Assassin's Creed Syndicate is free if you have an Ubisoft Connect account, which you likely do if you've redeemed any of the other free AC games they've given away

Thanks, picked up the free base game just now. Haven’t played any AC since getting 1&2 on CD-ROMs at Walmart. Is Syndicate any good?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

DerekSmartymans posted:

Thanks, picked up the free base game just now. Haven’t played any AC since getting 1&2 on CD-ROMs at Walmart. Is Syndicate any good?

It's the last of the old-style Assassin's Creeds, and if I remember correctly it's generally considered a return to form after Unity was a hot mess. It was still an extremely tired form and it has a bunch of Ubisoft map things vying for your attention so it wasn't exactly on many Best of 2015 lists, but there's worse ways to spend your time.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Some of the chapter ending assassination missions were really fun

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
You get to hang out with Karl Marx, Charles Darwin and Charles Dickinson. And murder people running horrible child factories.

Like, I loved the ship combat in Black Flag, but I got a certain thrill going into slave plantations and just murdering all the slavers, same thing with going into a factory that had kidnapped orphans and made them do horribly dangerous factory work and murdering all of the people enforcing that.

Trip Hazard
Jan 17, 2017
I thought the Frye twins were a good hang, so that already catapults it past most AC games. Does still have far faaaaar too much busywork

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
It's not the greatest game and it's a nightmare if you have a psychological condition forcing you to clean out the map of icons. But it's mostly inoffensive. As a game about more recent times, the usual Ubisoft MO of presenting history in a way that doesn't make you sad is more noticeable: social and economic issues of the day are reduced to evil people using child labor. It's most notable for being an AC game that people cared about the least after the Unity disaster. The next game, Origins, was somewhat polarizing, but Syndicate is guilty of a crime of being not memorable at all.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Nov 28, 2023

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I have played almost all AC and while few reached the highs of 2/brotherhood, most were pretty okay all around. I remember syndicate being the one where I just lost interest hard even though it has a lot of stuff to love. Train hangout, two fun main characters, an ugly but expansive and unique city, lots of mechanics. Its biggest drawback is really that it's assassins creed, offensively so. It's got all the stuff that made you fatigued of the series, all at once.

Still a very solid game, but after years and years of the same game it was just a bit too much formulaic.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I missed the free Unity a few years ago, so this was a cool grab. I hear Syndicate is better anyway.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

ilitarist posted:

It's not the greatest game and it's a nightmare if you have a psychological condition forcing you to clean out the map of icons. But it's mostly inoffensive. As a game about more recent times, the usual Ubisoft MO of presenting history in a way that doesn't make you sad is more noticeable: social and economic issues of the day are reduced to evil people using child labor. It's most notable for being an AC game that people cared about the least after the Unity disaster. The next game, Origins, was somewhat polarizing, but Syndicate is guilty of a crime of being not memorable at all.

I can certainly see why Ubisoft would want to white-wash the horrors of industrial capitalism down to what is unarguably (at least for now) bad, that being child labour, but what was so bad Unity? I've played few AC games and I've only focused on those with interesting settings: namely Italy, France, Britain and Pirates, so I'm not as disaffected by the cookie-cutter approach as some.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I thought people were generally positive on Origins as a much needed change of pace

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

I can certainly see why Ubisoft would want to white-wash the horrors of industrial capitalism down to what is unarguably (at least for now) bad, that being child labour, but what was so bad Unity? I've played few AC games and I've only focused on those with interesting settings: namely Italy, France, Britain and Pirates, so I'm not as disaffected by the cookie-cutter approach as some.
AC Unity was the first AC game of that console generation, and suffered from a lot of bugs and technical issues, the most infamous of which being a bug where a character's face would disappear.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The Kins posted:

AC Unity was the first AC game of that console generation, and suffered from a lot of bugs and technical issues, the most infamous of which being a bug where a character's face would disappear.

When Unity launched, they also released Rogue for 360/PS3 using the older engine and I preferred it a lot more. Unity’s controls felt so floaty/laggy. I will say they aimed for the moon in terms of NPC crowd sizes, but they also popped in randomly too. I wasn’t too engaged with the story either.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Waffleman_ posted:

I thought people were generally positive on Origins as a much needed change of pace

A lot of people consider Origins to be a point where AC series stopped being AC. All the elements of the departure (RPG elements, big open world, equipment grind) were there before but in Origins parkour and "social stealth" disappeared. To many it felt too similar to a generic open world game like Far Cry. I myself think that Origins and later games play much better than the previous games. None of the previous AC games delivered on a promise of cool parkour and social stealth, but Origins was probably the first one that didn't even try. Judging by the sales a minority of people hates the new direction, but it's probably vocal. I suppose some people are OK with Origins but not with Odyssey which is hard to understand for me cause these games are so similar.

JustJeff88 posted:

Unity is mainly hated for the technical issues and extremely predatory microtransactions. If you play it today you'll get a much more stable game and the one where you don't have to grind as much to dress your character. Even then LODs and pop-ins and coop play work atrociously. Parkour is also questionable: it doesn't let you climb everywhere like in previous games, but it doesn't let you feel in control. Player movement is unpredictable and it's often hard to tell what will the character grab, will he be able to make a certain jump and so on. If you mean from the story point - the story probably doesn't satisfy anyone. The central love story very quickly becomes boring and hard to watch. The hero has zero interest in the Revolution that happens around him, all he does is hunt this or that Templar which accidentally puts him in the middle of some important event of the Revolution, but that event gets so little explanation and context you'd be forgiven if you think that this game has no historical events after the storming of Bastille.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 28, 2023

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

The Kins posted:

This isn't true, Black Flag was a launch PS4 title.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Fuzz posted:

This isn't true, Black Flag was a launch PS4 title.
It was a port of a previous-gen game on the old engine. Unity was the first on their new-gen engine build specifically for that era. :colbert:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
That screencap was horrifying. One of four reasons why I rarely buy games on release is due to stability issues and bugs.

If you're curious, the other three reasons is that brand-new games are too expensive, big corporations have too much money and piracy exists.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Unity is fine at this point if you like the old AC formula. The bugs are fixed and it's an okay experience. It's not a great game, and is in the lower half of AC tiers, but if you like the French Revolution you'll enjoy Forrest Gump-ing your way through it.

Syndicate is better, though aside from the two protagonists thing it's not a lot different. It's the last of the old formula (before they rebooted it to copy Witcher 3), but they were kinda out of ideas at that point and it shows.

Personally I prefer the later style (Origins/Odyssey) anyway, and had a lot of fun with those.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

webmeister posted:

Unity is fine at this point if you like the old AC formula. The bugs are fixed and it's an okay experience. It's not a great game, and is in the lower half of AC tiers, but if you like the French Revolution you'll enjoy Forrest Gump-ing your way through it.

Syndicate is better, though aside from the two protagonists thing it's not a lot different. It's the last of the old formula (before they rebooted it to copy Witcher 3), but they were kinda out of ideas at that point and it shows.

Personally I prefer the later style (Origins/Odyssey) anyway, and had a lot of fun with those.

AC is one of the very few games that I play for setting. Didn't the latter games turn a lot more towards numbers, equipment grinding and MMO-style mechanics?

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

JustJeff88 posted:

AC is one of the very few games that I play for setting. Didn't the latter games turn a lot more towards numbers, equipment grinding and MMO-style mechanics?

There's a good bit of that for sure. Odyssey, which is my favorite of the RPG AC formula games, has a good balance of the setting/AC style stabbing/RPG nonsense. Valhalla goes too far into the nonsense for my tastes. Haven't played Mirage yet so can't comment on where lies on the spectrum.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
AC Origins and Odyssey are really good games with great settings. The gameplay is perfect for when you want to just zone out and murder cpu baddies by the truckload. I never really got the backlash that the change in style from older AC to current gets, but then, I never really thought the old style was that remarkable to begin with. I like action games more than following someone around slowly, striking and running. I just picked up Valhalla on the Ubi sale and am pretty sure I'll like that one too. YMMV.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
To me the next closest analogue is Shadow of War. Leveled enemies, RPG mechanics, magic powers, and loot, but not really an RPG nor a loot-based game in the traditional sense.

I don't think it's until Valhalla that they went overboard with putting endless heaps of poo poo to do in the game. By comparison Odyssey's map is just Big. IIRC, Origins has the most overt level scaling.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Origins sadly has a kind of level gating that can spoil your experience, you have to keep it in mind. Story might look as if the events happen one after another but oh whoops, you have to gain a couple of levels so go into a very specific zone on the map appropriate for your level and providing suitable challenge and rewards. Odyssey is better in that regard as all the low-level content gets upscaled and it never feels like stuff is no longer worth doing. Still it has enemies that will one-shot you just because there are few levels higher, and it's not thanks to better stats but additional buff enemies get for being higher level than you. Valhalla is better about level gating but worse about basically everything else.

I think these three games are the greatest in the series if you're concerned about tourism. There's also excellent Discovery Tour, a separate mode with lectures and info about the history of the place and creative decisions developers made, which makes you realize just how much stuff they've shoved into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Estel
May 4, 2010

webmeister posted:

I have not tried but I heard various times that Unity modded is pretty great or at least a lot better than how it was.