Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
What gets me going ??? is that RTD stated that Liberation of the Daleks, the DWM comic story that went on for all of last year, was the canonical post-regeneration story for Fourteen, and its ending leads directly into this, and here he is talking about canon like ???

(Also Liberation kinda sucked)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That was tremendously fun. My first thought was,"Hey, that's like the claw from the original design that was too expensive to produce!" and then everything just got better and better from there :allears:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

"I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry."

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Already seen at least one person mortally offended by it. "Vandalizing Genesis of the Daleks".

Get the gently caress out of here. I particularly liked when the Doctor even says this is messing up the timelines and canon, showing RTD knew exactly who this would upset.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wolfechu posted:

Already seen at least one person mortally offended by it. "Vandalizing Genesis of the Daleks".

Get the gently caress out of here. I particularly liked when the Doctor even says this is messing up the timelines and canon, showing RTD knew exactly who this would upset.

Davros building a Dalek before surviving the bombing throws a lot of really good material off. But it was fun so who cares.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wolfechu posted:

Jesus Christ, Internet. It's a four-minute comedy special for charity.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Timby posted:

Jesus Christ, Internet. It's a four-minute comedy special for charity.

Same kind of people who thought Curse of Fatal Death was 'wasting' regenerations, I assume

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

armpit_enjoyer posted:

What gets me going ??? is that RTD stated that Liberation of the Daleks, the DWM comic story that went on for all of last year, was the canonical post-regeneration story for Fourteen, and its ending leads directly into this, and here he is talking about canon like ???

(Also Liberation kinda sucked)

Also apparently that whole story happened in an hour?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

That was fun. Also guess that the implication is that the next episode won't follow on immediately from the moment of regeneration but have a bit of a gap.

Edit: oh I just read the quotes post above, never mind.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 18, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
That’s what it reminded me of. Lower Decks! Being playfully funny with continuity and fan references while still telling a story. Good, liked it. Bring back Mawaan as a companion.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Davros building a Dalek before surviving the bombing throws a lot of really good material off. But it was fun so who cares.
Plus it's easy enough to assume that a lot of his work got destroyed in the bombing and he had to start over from scratch.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Random Stranger posted:

I'm surprised I've not seen more discussion of this but RTD has said that this is Davros going forward now as a permanent change. They wanted to get away from portraying someone disabled/scarred as evil.

Personally if this was a show aimed at adults I'd feel that was a little silly but seeing as it's a kids show, and that the change happened in a Children in Need special, I think it's great. Wibbly, wobbly.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Delightful stuff. More of that please!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm surprised I've not seen more discussion of this but RTD has said that this is Davros going forward now as a permanent change.

Where did he say this? I'm curious

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Davros1 posted:

Where did he say this? I'm curious

Sorry, he says it in Doctor Who Unleashed on iPlayer, the new behind the scenes show and he has commented on it on Instagram.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
It's a drat good idea and one of those "why didn't anyone think of it sooner" moments, especially as regards a time travel show. Had my doubts at first but really drat glad he's back.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm surprised I've not seen more discussion of this but RTD has said that this is Davros going forward now as a permanent change. They wanted to get away from portraying someone disabled/scarred as evil.

Personally if this was a show aimed at adults I'd feel that was a little silly but seeing as it's a kids show, and that the change happened in a Children in Need special, I think it's great. Wibbly, wobbly.

Hm. On the one hand, I like the thematic and visual connection between creator and creation. But the depiction of disability as a sign of villainy has been a concern about Davros for a while. Right now I think I like the old design better, but I'm not going to get upset about it, especially if RTD is trying to wipe things a bit clean for a more accessible show.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Initial thoughts: I liked it! Was very fun and definitely a children in need thing. Also seeing shades of the 13th doctor in there was great. A nice little bit of fluff. - 8.7/10

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Hm. On the one hand, I like the thematic and visual connection between creator and creation. But the depiction of disability as a sign of villainy has been a concern about Davros for a while. Right now I think I like the old design better, but I'm not going to get upset about it, especially if RTD is trying to wipe things a bit clean for a more accessible show.

It's not just Davros, either. The number of disfigured and disabled villains in the series is pretty high. Sharaz Jek, Magnus Creel, the Master, hell even Morbius. And it's almost always their disfigurement is a result of their own hubris, or it's what made them evil to start with.

Probably no more so than any other media that's been going this long - it's rife in things like 2000ad too - but it still rears its head in the new series now and then. I think it's a positive change the way RTD is talking about it, and there's nothing to stop them bringing back post-accident Davros any time they feel like it.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Right, it was very much a staple of science fiction for decades, as a clear signifier of hubris / "he tampered in God's domain" / technology gone mad or whatnot, and it's not like it was intentionally malicious in all cases, but the field has moved on and there's so much more to explore.

It's like RTD's stated approach toward the "Timeless Child" business, you don't have to feel tethered by precedent or cliche or "canon" (a noxious concept, to be frank), especially in a series with time travel and gleeful, casual paradox as central elements.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Whenever somebody complains about canon/time travel in Doctor Who, they should just hire Matt Smith to do a PSA where he asks the fans if they're familiar with a particular analogy, confirms that they are, then notes that it's nothing like that.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Yep. In the simplest terms possible, ask yourself: IS the Doctor half human on his mother's side?

If you're honest, your answer to that question should be your lodestone to your approach to "canon" in general.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The Davros design is so iconic, I wonder if they'll tweak it to make it accoutrements to Davros instead of a result of a disability.

Like his chariot becomes a vehicle he travels in, and he can wear a headress that amplifies his vision and hearing. And he dons a metal gauntlet that allows him to shoot electricity

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Entirely plausible and easy enough to make into an allegory for current circumstances. Hell yes I Neuralink'd myself, I'm the genius inventor of Daleks, why wouldn't I. Stairs are such a normie concept, why I bet they won't even exist in 10 years.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Entirely plausible and easy enough to make into an allegory for current circumstances. Hell yes I Neuralink'd myself, I'm the genius inventor of Daleks, why wouldn't I. Stairs are such a normie concept, why I bet they won't even exist in 10 years.

Daleks fly away, and Davros is just left standing there. Get him a hover chariot.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wolfechu posted:

It's not just Davros, either. The number of disfigured and disabled villains in the series is pretty high. Sharaz Jek, Magnus Creel, the Master, hell even Morbius. And it's almost always their disfigurement is a result of their own hubris, or it's what made them evil to start with.

Probably no more so than any other media that's been going this long - it's rife in things like 2000ad too - but it still rears its head in the new series now and then. I think it's a positive change the way RTD is talking about it, and there's nothing to stop them bringing back post-accident Davros any time they feel like it.

Oh absolutely, it's an old trope that gets dragged out a lot and it shouldn't be used like it has been. With Davros, though, it provides a visual design tie with the Daleks that I think is significant and just because the use of something as a common trope is harmful doesn't mean that all instances of it must be scrubbed.

But it's not a big deal and if RTD wants to do a soft reboot of some of the rougher Doctor Who elements and just roll with a new version of the show, cool. Long running franchises often benefit from that kind of shake up.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Hmm, I totally understand the reasoning for reimaging Davros, but honestly the old look is so memorable that it's going time to warm up to 'just a guy'. Hopefully they can bring in some elements of the old design like the robot glove or something.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Davros1 posted:

Daleks fly away, and Davros is just left standing there. Get him a hover chariot.

I'm thinking...a nice red sled, pulled by eight different varieties of Dalek...

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I am cool with ditching the nastier elements of the Davros design, but I'd like there to be something there to bridge the gap to the new design. He could still be rocking the metal glove or have that proto-Dalek third eye headdress without him being blind (although he wasn't blind in The Witch's Familiar, his eyes were just kind of... atrophied?).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lottery of Babylon posted:

A show about a newsman who gets cancelled because he's recorded saying something that sounds bad out of context if you don't know that his best friend is a pedophile but is actually completely okay to say because his best friend is a pedophile but he can't explain this to the public because he needs to protect his best friend, the pedophile

Yeah, that's a good point (linking this to the premise of Moffat's Inside Man). You really get the sense that he's got a lot of anxiety about being targeted for something in ways he feels would be unfair.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I always thought it was so interesting that while Davros thought so highly of the daleks, even as his body deteriorated he never became one himself

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

At this point in NuWho, the universe has been rewritten like what, three or four times already?

Whether someone likes RTD's approach to the show or not (I pretty much don't), arguing about DW "canon" (or whether a character looks radically different from when they first appeared in the classic series), when every season seems to end on a reality-warping threat, is completely pointless.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I always thought it was so interesting that while Davros thought so highly of the daleks, even as his body deteriorated he never became one himself

I've not watched enough of the classic series to realize that Davros was supposed to be disabled/injured. I thought it was more that he had far exceeded how long he should have lived, and was clinging onto existence through bitterness and embracing all the Dalek tech he could without completely giving himself over to it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

David's Birthday

RTD on Davros

"When the world changes, Doctor Who has to change as well."

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

As someone with a close relative who is disabled, I don't mind RTD making this change.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm disabled and I super appreciate it.

Not mobility disabled mind, but there's solidary there and normalizing this kind of thing is good for everybody.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Speaking as someone with a disability I hate this idea that disabled people can't be villains (or "evil", in Davies' words). That sucks. I get that there's a bigotry inherent to the character -- alterations to human body = scary stories for reactionaries -- but I think the character transcends anything that simplistic by virtue of being the focus of several nuanced and interesting takes over the years. I think meaningful progress is about writing towards nuance and complexity, rather than restricting characters to decorous and contemporary "taste" (again, Davies' words).

Not that it's exactly what's happening here, given it's a story about the guy before his accident. But, still, gently caress restricting representations to model minorities.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
It seems like a good change. The comments on YouTube there seem to hate it though so I worry it'll become a canard to criticise RTD's work with, "he's making the show too PC" or that kinda thing. Not that I don't think he or the show can weather it, it's just annoying. But gently caress 'em!

The element of the new design I particularly like is the bringing back of the Genesis-esque "I Can't Believe They're Not Nazi Stormtrooper" uniforms. It's nice to really emphasise that Davros' perspective was/is a fascistic one, even before the rest of his people got welded into the pepperpots.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

lines posted:

It seems like a good change. The comments on YouTube there seem to hate it though so I worry it'll become a canard to criticise RTD's work with, "he's making the show too PC" or that kinda thing. Not that I don't think he or the show can weather it, it's just annoying. But gently caress 'em!
For real. Those people would poo poo on the show for being too PC for having a woman in it. Their culture war is a recruiting tactic. They find fandoms that won't kick them out, nest there, and spread their mind-poisoned far right bigotry to grow their numbers and far too many of them are Youtube reactionaries whose job is to be outraged and whiny all the time.

So if those people will poo poo on anything for the crime of, like, having a woman in it, you might as well go for broke. In for a penny, in for a pound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Here's another frustration I have with it: instead of acknowledging that Davros should have gone to a wheelchair user (or, let's be fair here, a vision impaired actor) we're now facing a situation where Davros will continue to be played by an non-disabled actor.

Additionally, Davies is essentially making the argument that villains should only be played by non-disabled actors, so to avoid the association of disability with evil. Which sucks if the intention is to open up greater opportunities for wheelchair users, the vision impaired, etc.

Speaking as someone who's losing his sight ("My vision is impaired, I cannot see." har har) playing a villain is loving great, and people like me should have the opportunity to do so in ways that are meaningful to us and our lived experience.