Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jesus loving christ, why?!? Does this account for the fact that I already format my emails in a sane and readable format and dont need help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

NiceAaron posted:

Now try it with a piece of code that's equally complicated, but hasn't been plastered all over the internet with tons of explanations including a whole-rear end wikipedia article.

Even simpler, ask it what weighs more of one pound of feathers and two pounds of lead.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

evobatman posted:

Even simpler, ask it what weighs more of one pound of feathers and two pounds of lead.

I'm not here to defend OpenAI, but ChatGPT answers this correctly. (Bard failed)

I also tried a (sanitized version of a) reasonably complex SQL query with a Common Table Expression, CROSS APPLYs and ROW_NUMBER() over (PARTITION BY .. ORDER BY CASE ... END ), and got a good explanation about what each part of the query does and the likely purpose.

I'm not saying you should blindly copy / paste all your company code and trust whatever a LLM spits out, but it can certainly be a tool. I would not dismiss it out of hand.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

HEY FROSTY WITCH ANY UPDATES ON THAT JOB INTERVIEW?

i'm shouting to make sure she hears me all the way up in portland

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

Turambar posted:

I'm not here to defend OpenAI, but ChatGPT answers this correctly. (Bard failed)

I also tried a (sanitized version of a) reasonably complex SQL query with a Common Table Expression, CROSS APPLYs and ROW_NUMBER() over (PARTITION BY .. ORDER BY CASE ... END ), and got a good explanation about what each part of the query does and the likely purpose.

I'm not saying you should blindly copy / paste all your company code and trust whatever a LLM spits out, but it can certainly be a tool. I would not dismiss it out of hand.

Nope. Stop believing your lying eyes. It isn't actually doing those things. Thread logic has spoken.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
It’s good for code doing low complexity tasks that are well documented and I’ve basically stopped using google for that sort of thing. If you are trying to do something that you can’t find with a google search anyways or requires moderately difficult logic you’re going to need to clean up what it produces and sometimes it’s difficult to get ChatGPT pointed in the right direction when you ask it to fix its own code.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

my cat is norris posted:

HEY FROSTY WITCH ANY UPDATES ON THAT JOB INTERVIEW?

i'm shouting to make sure she hears me all the way up in portland
I was wondering about this too. I need to see some good news in my life.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I would much rather hear about Frosty Witch's interview than keep talking about stochastic parrots.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

dragonshardz posted:

I would much rather hear about Frosty Witch's interview than keep talking about stochastic parrots.

the gently caress did you say about my posting?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I'm headed up to Portland tomorrow!

My interview is on Monday so I'm going to spend the weekend laying low at a friend's place.

I interviewed with the public library for an operations supervisor position yesterday and they seemed to like me. The hiring manager (who would be my supervisor) specifically mentioned that they were really impressed with my experience and accomplishments in particular out of all the candidates, so I thought that was promising. I fumbled one question because it was really vague. "tell me about Office365 vs an on premesis solution." I wasn't really sure what he was asking about because I could blather on about specifics forever so I asked him to clarify. After a bit of back and forth I just decided to explain that I have over a hundred O365 migrations under my belt and have admined near countless instances of Azure and cloud O365 so I'm extremely comfortable with every aspect of managing Microsoft licensing and software deployment. Other than that it went well. They'll be in touch next week if I move on to final interviews.

I had another person at the same place reach out last week on Wednesday afternoon to ask me to set up an interview for an analyst position I had applied for months and months ago. I didn't see the email until Friday so I emailed him back and apologized for the late response and that the scheduling link he sent didn't have any slots listed and asked if I could schedule with him manually. I also mentioned I'd literally be in Portland at his office in a week and I could stop by and talk then. No response until yesterday: "yeah sorry we wrapped up interviews last week best of luck."

Gee, thanks? Love waiting three months to be given an absolute speck of time to schedule an interview. At least that position was way under me.

Other than that my unemployment officially ran out last week so... Uh... One of these places gotta hire me, please

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i hope you get the library job. working for the library rocks. everyone is so nice and genders me correctly over the phone even though i sound like i do

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Can we take a moment to appreciate that this old dead gay comedy forum is so supportive of issues like this?

It's really heartwarming.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Weedle posted:

i hope you get the library job.

I got the second interview :unsmith:

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Of course you did. You got this

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

A Frosty Witch posted:

I got the second interview :unsmith:

Yay! If you end up moving here to PDX lmk we'll have a happy hour or something...

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Happiness Commando posted:

Of course you did. You got this

not emptyquote

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I know a director of IT at a library genuinely seems like one of the happiest IT people I’ve ever met

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

The final interview for the PDX job went amazingly. They bypassed the usual questions to let me grill them about the job for a while and then the Director of Technology drove me around and gave me a tour of datacenters and current project sites. They said they'll have an answer by the end of the week :ohdear:

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
When they give you a tour that's usually a good sign. Good luck!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

You got it, that interview was for them to convince you.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

The Fool posted:

You got it, that interview was for them to convince you.

Shh no one tell them how desperate I am

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I now have the mental image of you sneaking around their data center like Snake in a box, telling people not to tell the hiring committee how desperate you are for a job.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I pop out of from behind an EMC and stare daggers at the datacenter supervisor

:catstare: "I mean it, Patel. You tell anyone and your rear end is graaaaassss..." As I slide into the abyss of cables and blinking lights.

Comedy option: "It's none of your conceeerrrrnn..."

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A Frosty Witch posted:

As I slide into the abyss of cables and blinking lights.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

You grab an intern and slit their throat with an old ram stick before pulling them back into the forest of cat-5 cables. No emotion on your face at all beneath the spatter pattern made in thermal grease.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Kurieg posted:

You grab an intern and slit their throat with an old ram stick before pulling them back into the forest of cat-5 cables. No emotion on your face at all beneath the spatter pattern made in thermal grease.

Well this took a turn

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The saga of frosty witch is long and winding.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Kurieg posted:

The silent datacenter rumbles with a metallic synthesized laugh and shortly after a headless body is found hanging from the HVAC ducts. The grey beard is crouching under the raised tiles and sits weirdly, looking at the fiber wiring. He then grabs an intern down in the nook and whispers "Out there, past them single modes".

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 14, 2023

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Kurieg posted:

The saga of frosty witch is long and winding.

And I'm not trying to buffalo you, but really it's none of your concern.

Good luck, A Frosty Witch! Rooting for you!

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Wizard of the Deep posted:

And I'm not trying to buffalo you, but really it's none of your concern.

Good luck, A Frosty Witch! Rooting for you!

Thread title

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

They want references :ohdear:

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 14, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Will they take "goons"?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Maybe a rave review from Don "Buffalo" Goon, Esq. would put me over the top.

And maybe it'll get me banned from their offices. Do I dare roll the dice?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

"You have on here a Buffalo Nass at 192.164.0.1?"

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

"That's none of your concern" to every single question

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dr. Ian Gibbis, your time has come

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Kurieg posted:

"You have on here a Buffalo Nass at 192.164.0.1?"

"I see also a Ray D'Zeroh, located at 2 US Bee Drive? That sounds a bit odd but OK - is there a good time for us to speak with Ray?"

edit: it says here you have extensive experience in dealing with the difficulties of CE? We don't make hardware here so I don't think we'll need to make use of getting anything certified with that mark, but thanks for letting us know I guess?

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 14, 2023

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

:yotj:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

:yotj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Never any doubt :yotj: