Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Opened one of the Portuguese tins I bought last year, some peppered sardines in a lovely decorated tin. They were big healthy chunks, tender and fishy, with a surprising zip. I made them into a tartine, brushing the bread with the oil before toasting. A tasty treat. 10/10 'dines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Android Apocalypse posted:

Here in Ketchikan, Alaska they got a lot of canned salmon.

Lotta cans here in Catch-a-can

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

I;m thinking about thos 'Dines

naem
May 29, 2011

isn’t alaska 80% water just go catch the fish yourself

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

naem posted:

isn’t alaska 80% water just go catch the fish yourself

Alaska is the largest state in the union (take that, Texas! :freep:) but I'm also lazy so items better if somebody catches the 'dines for me.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Alaska is the largest state in the union (take that, Texas! :freep:) but I'm also lazy so items better if somebody catches the 'dines for me.

Hey Chelle you know it's kinda funny
Texas always seemed so big
But you know you're in the largest state in the union
When you're anchored down in Anchorage

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
I got my wife to eat some of a can of mackerel in olive oil tonight, this is unprecedented. My mind is racing with plans for more...but I'm afraid I'll overplay my hand here.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Careful, she's gonna dig into your stash

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
As the world turns I am coming back to my sardine craving. Google says World Market carries Nuri, so next time I have some other reason to be in Boulder I will pick some up and report back.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
While browsing Instagram reels I came upon this sardine oil tuille video. After seeing other tuille vids (mainly using a pan on the stove) I kind of want to try this.

Incremus
Aug 7, 2003

Oh no, I'm so sorry, it's the Moops.

I’ll tell you what I like to do:

1 cup cooked sticky rice
1 tsp furikake
1 mostly drained can dines - boneless utility dines like Season brand from Costco work best with this. Save the good ones for something else
2 giant blobs Trader Joe’s Green Dragon hot sauce

Throw all that in a mixing bowl and incorporate with a fork until you have a relatively even consistency and a delicious lunchtime

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i have so many questions

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

I had a problem with this at a sporting goods outfitter and it wasn't a huge deal because of the location, when the weather wasn't punishing I would eat them outside at a park bench nearby and in the heat of the summer i would eat them in the Ski Surgeon's lab. it was an old building with lots of out-of-the-way places to dine on 'dines

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Nuri dines confirmed really god drat good. The spicy tomato sauce is fuckin amazing.

Picked them up at World Market so if you have one in your area go check em out.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
After watching that YouTube video repeatedly I just ordered a multipack of Nuri, arriving before 7am. Gonna be a great Saturday breakfast!

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Speaking of Nuri lol

https://shop.conservaspinhais.pt/blogs/blog/once-around-the-world

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

These special tins are now available as a Limited Edition for all Nuri Lovers. The Limited Edition, packaged in a high quality gift box, includes a personal letter from Jakob Glatz, the owner of Nuri, a certificate signed by Captain Gugg and Sir Robin Knox Johnston and also a world map showing the course he sailed. Each of the unique cans is hand-numbered and costs €249.

Very cool, but oof expensive.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Lol, I’ll order a can shipped from Japan, that will have also made it around the world.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
I love my preserved fish but have my limits. A whole jar of salted anchovies, this guy is hardcore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCmfR0x4tM4

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Radio Nowhere posted:

I love my preserved fish but have my limits. A whole jar of salted anchovies, this guy is hardcore.

You mean a frozen pizza? They all get a can -2 (for snacking).

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

had some humus on wasa crackers. think I will have some sardines on wasa crackers tomorrow

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
A humus/sardine on a cracker combo sounds good.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Oh man here are the first sardines I encourage everyone to avoid. Slimy, bad texture, boneless, seem to be skinless, but worst of all just gross; sugar is the second ingredient!

I’m seriously now afraid to touch my cabinet of new ‘dines. I’ll get over it, but man the texture was every step-brother’s “joke” about bait, and the sugar made me so nauseous.

Yeah, either avoid these or make a fun challenge I’ll look at some other day, maybe next week:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

three tins in front of you, no labels. one is the can of riga sprats that will reveal the true face of sardine god, the other, bar harbor in maple syrup and beechcliff in mustard which will send you straight to sardine hell. choose wisely

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Remulak posted:

Oh man here are the first sardines I encourage everyone to avoid. Slimy, bad texture, boneless, seem to be skinless, but worst of all just gross; sugar is the second ingredient!

I’m seriously now afraid to touch my cabinet of new ‘dines. I’ll get over it, but man the texture was every step-brother’s “joke” about bait, and the sugar made me so nauseous.

Yeah, either avoid these or make a fun challenge I’ll look at some other day, maybe next week:

This was part of my last year's Tinned Fish Advent calendar, and sadly those were the only ones that went off- the tin started to bulge and it was past its expiration date, so off it went.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

This is my current supply of canned fish, not counting some canned clams and so on.

I had my first ever gout attack a few days after thanksgiving, I think it was triggered by eating leftover stuffing and gravy every day for 4 days. I made 13 pounds of stuffing for a big family meal that fell apart due to several people getting sick last minute. The stuffing had 4 pounds of giblets and over a pound of chicken livers in it. The gravy was made with double turkey/giblet stock that also went into the stuffing. I guess I have to get over my fear of throwing food away. Oh, and also I might have to CUT BACK ON CANNED FISH JUST A LITTLE.

Myron Baloney fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 3, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

how much tinfish could you be eating if you have that much left?

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

how much tinfish could you be eating if you have that much left?

I'm not really eating that much on a daily basis, maybe a can every other day. I just kind of like the absurdity of stockpiling food and then suddenly it's hazardous to eat any of it. I'll probably still eat a can a week or something tame like that.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Besides health issues, you know that canned goods expire, right?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

SteveMRE would disagree.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Expiration is a fake idea. Botulism isn't though. And fats generally go rancid eventually

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I also have gout and a sardine stockpile and they aren't going bad in my life anyways

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If you mean canned fish you're picking a fight with the thread regulars lol. I don't think I have to worry about that, at the rate I plan to use stuff up I'll be fine, and I can always give as much away as I want - I have two large adult sons who like this stuff and a number of friends who do also. I kind of like the idea of taking the canned squid to the local needs network kitchen to see the reaction. I don't really have a major problem here - just wanted to give the thread a jolt since it seems slow lately.

edit: maybe I do have a problem here - I just made steamed chinese broccoli and served it with oyster sauce without even thinking about it lmao.

Myron Baloney fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 3, 2023

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

Expiration is a fake idea. Botulism isn't though. And fats generally go rancid eventually

Yeah, I had a tin of anchovies packed in I think, sugar? from last year that started to bulge, and we just ditched it rather than find out, as the kids say

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

bloody ghost titty posted:

Yeah, I had a tin of anchovies packed in I think, sugar? from last year that started to bulge, and we just ditched it rather than find out, as the kids say

:chloe:

That's a new one.

Unrelated I think I'll pick up some sardines from La Bouffe International Gourmet as I also need some quality extra virgin olive oil too.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Have any of you had tinned oarfish? I found a small shop that carries it and some other gourmet tinned fishies but I was in a hurry and didn't have time to look through it all. I'll get some next time.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

That's a new one.

Unrelated I think I'll pick up some sardines from La Bouffe International Gourmet as I also need some quality extra virgin olive oil too.

https://igourmet.com/products/ancho...VgaAkb_EALw_wcB

it's these, sugar is listed before salt in the packing ingredients. Unknown if this contributed to the bulging but again, botox goes in the face (if that's your thing) not in the gut (this is no one's thing)

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The added pumpkin pie spices really throw that one over the top of revolting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

That's a new one.

Some Angelo Parodi sardines (and mackerel), as well as some La Panzenella Meyer lemon dolcetini.

I did pick up some olive oil too but didn't bother taking a picture of it.