Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

MerrMan posted:

Played a bunch of Roboquest since it was free on Game Pass. It's.. okay? Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I just feel like I get weaker and weaker as a run goes on. I haven't put anything together that was particularly powerful, my best run was with extra damage to ignited enemies and then the marking shotgun that did fire damage on ... the rocket/shotgun class. Most runs end slightly before the second boss when I hit a gauntlet room that is small and fills up with enemies because my damage falls behind to a degree that I can't clear it fast enough. Then it's just attrition until I'm dead.

The movement and guns feel pretty good. Gun variety is okay, good between weapon classes but not super strong within a class. Area variety is poor, there's just not a whole lot there and the different tile sets aren't that different from one another. Enemy variety is very low, it's all just kinda the same four - the little ball robot, the walking robot, the flying robot and the turrets. There's some big ones, too, but I usually only run in to two or three of those in a (admittedly not full) run.

For me, I preferred Gunfire Reborn quite a bit. That one was kind of made-to-be-broken where you're expected to put together some busted combo and then annihilate the last quarter of the game. This one feels too... conservative? In the amount of power they give to the player. It's like a few conditional 10-15% boosts that can come together to be pretty good when you do The Thing but it's tough to do that consistently in most situations - like it relies a 6 second buff from an ability with a 10 second cooldown or something.

To be honest I think Roboquest makes the mistake of both hiding a lot of key features behind metaprogression AND making some of those metaprogression upgrades sound uninteresting. Normal difficulty is nasty in exactly the way you describe because on a fresh save you don't have access to almost anything. Like technically by default you have access to all guns and items, but actually seeing guns with crazy affixes isn't a thing at first, nor will you see anything but a glimpse of the item pool. You get to pick between a whopping 2 upgrades per level when down the road it'll be 4 per level and you'll get two rerolls for free. It's absolutely possible to put together something monstrously broken, but it's a hell of a lot harder when so much of the game is obfuscated behind progression.

My advice is to try temporarily bumping the difficulty down to Easy. I had the same exact problem you did, and Easy let me acclimate to the game way faster because I could survive long enough to see more of it. And you get more wrenches from a 80-90% complete Easy run vs. a 40% complete Normal one. You're not likely to actually beat the game for ~reasons~ but you'll get dug into the progression so much faster instead of needing to fail forward inch by inch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Thanks for recommending Skul btw, I'm digging it! Same with Astral Ascent and Deadlink. Man, so many good roguelikes out there! :allears: On that note, would you currently recommend Ravenwatch? It's $6 in my region and that's going to change in a couple days when we switch back to USD. The game looks interesting but there's quite a bit of caveats from what I've read.

John Murdoch posted:

To be honest I think Roboquest makes the mistake of both hiding a lot of key features behind metaprogression AND making some of those metaprogression upgrades sound uninteresting. Normal difficulty is nasty in exactly the way you describe because on a fresh save you don't have access to almost anything. Like technically by default you have access to all guns and items, but actually seeing guns with crazy affixes isn't a thing at first, nor will you see anything but a glimpse of the item pool. You get to pick between a whopping 2 upgrades per level when down the road it'll be 4 per level and you'll get two rerolls for free. It's absolutely possible to put together something monstrously broken, but it's a hell of a lot harder when so much of the game is obfuscated behind progression.

My advice is to try temporarily bumping the difficulty down to Easy. I had the same exact problem you did, and Easy let me acclimate to the game way faster because I could survive long enough to see more of it. And you get more wrenches from a 80-90% complete Easy run vs. a 40% complete Normal one. You're not likely to actually beat the game for ~reasons~ but you'll get dug into the progression so much faster instead of needing to fail forward inch by inch.

Yeah agreed with all this. Some of the mobility upgrades are massive too and those are all basically hidden behind off-the-beaten-path exploration or sidequests (grapple hook, cape, jetpack). It's basically my only criticism aside from enemy variety maybe.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Roboquest also hides enemy variety behind unlocks - as you get the crystals, more elite (interesting) enemies show up

It's Bad Metaprog, for sure

re: Ravenswatch, it's by the Curse of the Dead Gods devs, which I love - but it's a very different game, and it's still very EA - extremely polished EA, but not content complete

That said, the theme it's got going on is real drat cool, playing coop with the Piper, Red Riding Hood, Beowolf and Aladdin is just neat

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
The Roboquest metaprogression kinda sucks but boy howdy the actual gameplay makes up for it in a lot of ways.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

victrix posted:

re: Ravenswatch, it's by the Curse of the Dead Gods devs, which I love - but it's a very different game, and it's still very EA - extremely polished EA, but not content complete

That said, the theme it's got going on is real drat cool, playing coop with the Piper, Red Riding Hood, Beowolf and Aladdin is just neat

I've played more Ravenswatch since it started EA in April than I played during all of Hades' EA (which was not little)

Which makes me incredibly hyped for how much replayability it'll have at 1.0

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I am too bad of a gamer for Ravenswatch

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I couldn't really vibe with Ravenswatch. In the short period of time I tried it it felt weird playing an action game where you felt quite as weak? Underpowered? As you did in that game. On top of that, enforcing a hard time limit on each session by teleporting you to some trippy boss arena when the timer runs out left me with a pretty cold impression of it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Tried the Roboquest demo. The movement and gunplay felt very... polished, for better or for worse. Most of the weapons feel like generic DPS hoses, they seem reluctant to have really idiosyncratic weapons. Even non-auto weapons seem to tend to have a high enough ROF that they're not drastically different from full auto weapons.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I bought Death Roads: Tournament since I loved Car Wars and Dark Future as a kid. It seems like a game with a really solid foundation: Slay the Spire style navigation through map nodes, and combat is grid-based deckbuilding. You maneuver your car around using your equipped weapons and gear (each of which adds its own cards to your deck) and there's a bunch of fun systems like losing grip and skidding around, ramming other cars and vehicles etc.

My big complaint after a couple of hours of playing is that the difficulty has insane spikes. You'll go from cruising along smoothly with essentially full health to just getting your poo poo absolutely wrecked in a couple of turns in the next fight. People have been urging the devs to do rebalancing or to add difficulty options since the Early Access version, but no luck so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4ihY4iBvQo

So... anyone else playing? Anyone have any tips?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Death Roads is really weird. I'm still struggling to figure it out and I'm suspecting that it's frankly not that great of a game, but the presentation really carries it. I particularly like their combat theme that changes dynamically depending on who's turn it is. It's really good.
Although I wish they maybe had more than one music track.

Here's one piece of advice though. If you're going to be dealing handling damage to your opponents you don't want them to skid.
An opponent that skids might take some damage, or they might even do some damage to you and then play 3/4rds of their moves the next turn.
An opponent that's you leave at 1 handling, will simply skip their turn completely.

There's this one car that starts with a rear-mounter laser that does 10 handling damage, and practically every car during the first half of the run has 11 max handling.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

That IS a good bit of advice and it makes perfect sense considering the "if you skid, your turn immediately ends" mechanic, and it feels like it should be obvious, but I hadn't really considered it until now.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

That IS a good bit of advice and it makes perfect sense considering the "if you skid, your turn immediately ends" mechanic, and it feels like it should be obvious, but I hadn't really considered it until now.

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't realize it myself until I tried using that one starter car.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ravenswatch looks pretty neat. Is it balanced to be played co-op or can I play alone & still have a good time

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Ravenswatch looks pretty neat. Is it balanced to be played co-op or can I play alone & still have a good time

you can play solo fine, you get a set of revives (it's a Mario like)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I played Ravenswatch when it came out in Early Access and I had absolutely NO loving IDEA what was going on. Just a map full of random icons, half of which didn't seem to do anything that I could figure out, and then 25 minutes later the big boss spawned and I killed it. It's Early Access so I'm not expecting a ton of polish yet, but the game really could do with a good tutorial, because it seems to be a lot more complex than Curse of the Dead Gods, which I loved.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I've watched some streamers play Ravenswatch, but it really looks like the kind of game you want to wait until is out of Early Access to play.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also thinking about it a bit more, another bone I have to pick with Roboquest is that the default class is simultaneously so much more boring than the others while also requiring more familiarity and skill to get the most out of.

Sort of reminds me of Risk of Rain/2 where the Commando is hypothetically one of the strongest characters...assuming you know what items to seek out (if they're even unlocked) and fully understand the proc system which the game never actually explains.

Though ultimately I guess it's less of a big deal than the other metaprog issues since you can unlock everything but the final class pretty quick.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, I've finished the game with every character in Roboquest except for the starter because he's so boring. Shame it's the introductionary class.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
OneBit Adventure with a Mega Update, even if it wound up missing an entire aspect to it: Desert Dungeon & Equipment Update

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1688320/view/5849674468178466649

quote:

We are truly excited to bring you to the next phase of OneBit Adventure by bringing in so much new content and many more ways to make your character builds even stronger. This update brings a new Desert Dungeon which has a world of traps for you to avoid while you climb higher to go against the new Tremor boss. We’ve added 45 new equipment, 7 new enemies, 1 new boss, 12 new runes, starting HUB, and so much more! Grab some coffee or tea because this is a long one.

New Desert Dungeon
A new dungeon filled with traps to make your adventures a lot tougher than normal, but it is now the only place to get your fill of Smoothies which gives haste upon consuming! This dungeon has 2 sections where the first half is more congested traps and tougher, but the second half is more open desert filled with Cactus to forage. Keep in mind that you must be level 15 for this dungeon to appear.

New Tremor Boss
In the end awaits the Tremor boss ready to spring up from the ground to devour you! Avoid his lunges and poison attacks for a swift victory, but he is a tank! Killing the boss will guarantee a Rune drop as long as you are above 1500 steps. Runes are new powerful relics which we will discuss more below.

7 New Enemies
These new enemies are all exclusive to the new Desert Dungeon for now. They have very unique properties to them so learn everything about them before entering!

Your Starting Camp
Your starting camp can now transform as you explore the world of OneBit! Each character will store who you have recruited in your efforts to travel as far as possible. New dialogue have been added to help accommodate those who previously didn’t. Your starting camp will start off with Wizard Sapius and as you talk with new NPCs, you will get a notification when they are added to your camp. You may notice some new elements which we will go over.

Frank Forger
Everyone, say hi to Frank. He has a story of his own and he will be happy to share it with you once you have found him in the Underworld. You will need a Special Key which is dropped by Cthulhu in the Ruins and I’m sure Morgana won’t mind! Once you rescue him, you will find him in your starting camp and he’ll make sure to build a furnace before you get back. Interact with Frank and he will now be able to put your Runes to good use. Runes are rare relics used to buff equipment, but removing them will destroy the rune itself. If you don't discover Frank by level 20, you will get him and he will give you a story about how he got there!

12 New Runes
After reaching level 15, equipment will start to spawn with an open rune slot and so will runes. Runes have a drop rate of 5% from bosses except the new Tremor boss who guarantees them and drops more the further you go as long as you are over 1500 steps. Some amplify only weapon stats while others only work on helm and chest.

45 New Equipment
Here’s all the new equipment added to the game and it is quite the handful! Some equipment require you kill certain bosses to spawn while others do have rarity and level requires which will all be available in the in-game guide. These new equipment have new stats added to the game and with it, we have provided a description for all of that here. The in-game guide has been updated with all the new stats and equipment so read your guide to understand all you need to know.

Target Practice
Not much in a days work, but sometimes you want to know how much damage you actually do based off different builds. If you have already talked to Shintaro, then you may have gotten a gift of 2 dummies and 1 ranged target. These targets are invincible so they do not break, but have a starting hp of 100,000.

Major Changes
Before we dive into notes, let's bullet point some major changes that does affect your game in a positive way.

We have updated Blacksmith upgrades to cost Coins instead of Diamonds
You now have unlimited revives after running out of Normal Quick Saves
Remove Self-Slow from all weapons that previously had them
Overworld Bosses and Wraith now spawn more frequently. Previously was thousands of steps before you come across them.
You can now use Slice and Dice without enemies on an attack tile
New remastered soundtracks have been updated. Certainly take a listen to the Ruins/Cthulhu's music!
You can now skip all upgrades for the current adventure which is very useful once you have maxed out all that you could.

Pushing Shrines for a Future Update
Some may have saw our blog post on our website which said Shrines were coming. Unfortunately, this update had a lot coming so we have decided to hold off on making Shrines so we can better focus on balancing all new equipment. Shrines will be back in a future update with better features. We appreciate all the feedback and look forward to making it better than ever!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I dunno I think the guns in Roboquest end up feeling pretty different from one another even if they don't have like, gun that shoots bees or whatever.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

upgraded guns with proper supporting perks absolutely let you fill rooms with freezing explosions or whatever

you're just not likely to assemble that out of the gate (or even know it's possible until you've seen all the different upgrade lines on each class)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Snooze Cruise posted:

I dunno I think the guns in Roboquest end up feeling pretty different from one another even if they don't have like, gun that shoots bees or whatever.

In one of my demo playthroughs wound up with a scout sniper rifle and dual sawnoffs and like, yeah, one is way better at long ranges and one is way better at short ranges but there's a huge area of overlap where I just had a real hard time caring about which gun I had out as I lazily M1'd over enemies. Especially since reloads are very quick and painless, so it never felt like I had a reason to swap out for more ammo.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I can definitely understand the complaints. Like, Gunfire Reborn has a few boring guns (like the SMG that's literally just...an SMG with no flavor at all) but also a bunch of "staple FPS gun with kooky flavor" and "weird bespoke nonsense I've never seen before" whereas most of the guns in Roboquest are super streamlined. There are a few more unique ones in the mix but on average there's a lot of overlap where for shotguns it'll be like faster/weaker shotgun, slower/stronger shotgun, energy shotgun. Or within energy weapons each element gets its own mostly-similar rifle weapon. How meaningfully different are the dual crossbows vs. dual energy pistols? :shrug:

But at the same time I think the weapons are sort of meant to be blank canvases to attach a lot of crazy affixes to, including alt-fires. (Which of course circles back to my point that none of that poo poo is unlocked by default or super tamped down to start with.) It comes at the cost of weapon personality though.

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, I've finished the game with every character in Roboquest except for the starter because he's so boring. Shame it's the introductionary class.

I did manage to figure out a fantastic combo of the melee shockwave + Bonk Hammer which meant I could delete an enemy every couple of seconds without needing to run right up in their face. I've never gotten much traction trying to invest super deep into the shield skill itself though.

Edit: The game also has a lot of stuff oriented around head bonks and like, I don't never ever get those, but it's so much more common to try to go for one and then eat poo poo for it vs. doing one by happy accident. It's an odd mechanic to get as much focus as it does, which isn't a ton, but enough to make it seem like a fundamental strategy. Edit 2: And again again, they only become easily accessible after unlocking all the various mobility upgrades that make being above enemies more likely to be a thing in the first place.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 18, 2023

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

the holy poopacy posted:

In one of my demo playthroughs wound up with a scout sniper rifle and dual sawnoffs and like, yeah, one is way better at long ranges and one is way better at short ranges but there's a huge area of overlap where I just had a real hard time caring about which gun I had out as I lazily M1'd over enemies. Especially since reloads are very quick and painless, so it never felt like I had a reason to swap out for more ammo.

the scenario you describe, which I think happens a lot in like the rooms where a bunch of enemies keep spawning - the way I think of those situations is less about "what gun do I use" and "how do I position myself to not take fire from all these dudes". I'm spraying my weapon vaguely in the enemy's direction, and incidentally it takes out some, but I'm more worried about waiting for my decoy to be on cooldown/watching my drone health/etc.

KNR
May 3, 2009
Bastion is quite strong since it's a toggle, but it is both boring and a very bad fit for the starter class since it's kind of a shmup bomb, knowing when you've hosed up enough to turn it on before you get hit is hard. Trying to use it all at once as an ult is extremely underwhelming.

death cob for cutie posted:

the scenario you describe, which I think happens a lot in like the rooms where a bunch of enemies keep spawning - the way I think of those situations is less about "what gun do I use" and "how do I position myself to not take fire from all these dudes". I'm spraying my weapon vaguely in the enemy's direction, and incidentally it takes out some, but I'm more worried about waiting for my decoy to be on cooldown/watching my drone health/etc.
This becomes less viable on the guardian difficulties. All the elites and enemies getting replaced with more lategame ones make target prioritization increasingly important.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I just don't really get the point of not using commando because commando is super fun. The ranger seems cool too but commando! Commando!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

commando & the engineer? are tops because they both have readily-accessible rocket jumps right from the off

what, shoot enemies with them? pshaw

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Recon is probably my favourite so far. Get the skill that turns your knife into a cutlass and just chop chop.

Edit: Also, with commando you can spec into explosions and use the jetpack to become an airborne bomber.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat
Just want to say cobalt core is incredible. First StS-like that has made me laugh that I can remember. Example: (random ? Event that happened >5 runs in) Dracula randomly showing up, and everyone’s reactions like it was normal, since it’s a common “?” event in these sorts of games.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
To talk about Legends of Runeterra / Path of Championsfor a second, I got a completely filthy setup going with Yasuo the other day.

For those of you unfamiliar, LoR is basically Hearthstone + MTG, kind of a decent middle ground in card complexity and interaction between the two. One of the main conceits is 'Champions', cards representing the actual playable characters in League of Legends, which are the cornerstone of your deck and basically decide which 'colors' (regions) you're playing. Again, middle ground between HS and MTG. Champions can level up after meeting some objective, becoming more powerful.

Yasuo is a bit of a control enabler - At first his deal is that any time you stun or recall an enemy, he attacks it for 2 damage. This triggers attack payoffs and also generally lets your stuns be more useful. If you stun/recall 5 times in a game, then he flips; and now he deals his attack in damage to the creature. This is combined with three other very fun things:

• In Path of Champions you unlock passive powers as you 'star up' your characters, and one of his says every time a character Strikes, they gain +1 Attack.
  • Additionally, another of his passive powers says 'At the start of each turn, stun the weakest enemy'
  • Finally, I just got a piece of equipment you can add onto him, which has 'When this Champion levels up, stun all enemies',

So basically, Yasuo goes from being a one off stun enabler to a one-time board sweeper that will then keep your opponent's board cleared if they can't kill him, and creature-based removal like Challenger (basically you get to pick who blocks a creature) isn't very effective when my ENTIRE DECK is full of stuns.

He's probably my current strongest Champion in PoC with that equipment, because basically as soon as he flips, he wipes the enemy board in most cases and then proceeds to kill anything left over every turn. It's such an aggressive control of the board that it's extremely hard to bounce back from, especially since Stun already has benefits like removing blockers/attackers.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The current iteration of the Cross Blitz demo is extremely fun and also a weirdly rare example of a roguelike deckbuilder that has you playing against AI opponents with their own decks of cards playing by roughly the same set of rules that you are instead of enemies with a small list of predetermined intents.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Pastrami posted:

Just want to say cobalt core is incredible. First StS-like that has made me laugh that I can remember. Example: (random ? Event that happened >5 runs in) Dracula randomly showing up, and everyone’s reactions like it was normal, since it’s a common “?” event in these sorts of games.

Would you believe they're arguably canonical? The studio's previous game, a starship CAD simulator called Sunshine Heavy Industries (yes, that one), featured them as a repeat customer in a free Halloween update.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 20, 2023

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So what's the local take on Risk of Rain Returns and GUNHEAD?

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Gunhead is exactly Cryptark in 3d. Minor changes to the economy (though that could be my bad memory).

A little rough on the hands, but if you're playing FPS roguelites, it'll be just fine. Def feels good in the "fighting in a giant machine that hates you" sense, where you can dismember it bit by bit.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Risk of Rain Returns is cool, ror1 with more stuff. new playable characters, enemies, etc.

It's also the only thing the original ror devs are working on since gearbox owns everything else under the ip now.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Anything else I should be looking at if I'm really vibing with rift wizard?

Need to see what else is out there while I wait for 2 to hit

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ZearothK posted:

So what's the local take on Risk of Rain Returns and GUNHEAD?

Risk of Rain 1 is a really good game, and Risk of Rain Returns is just that but with new stuff and (probably I guess) less finicky multiplayer. It's good.

Arpanets
Feb 27, 2012

w00tmonger posted:

Need to see what else is out there while I wait for 2 to hit

Path of Achra would be the call here.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I want to play gunhead even though I don't really like CryptArk that much.

w00tmonger posted:

My eyes are tired, I thought you wrote nft wizard and I was about to mock you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

King of Solomon posted:

Risk of Rain 1 is a really good game, and Risk of Rain Returns is just that but with new stuff and (probably I guess) less finicky multiplayer. It's good.

The multiplayer is 100% less finnicky. I was able to get into 20 lobbies on launch day and I never had issues, while I was never able to set up or connect to a server in the original RoR. The extra content is great and the game looks gorgeous to boot.