Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

drrockso20 posted:

I feel it's worth it if you can find an Amazon listing with a slight markup in price if it has Prime Shipping and thus only have to wait a couple days max fot it

Well the 2S would’ve been almost twice as much via Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

drat, I just saw Aya’s app promises. Does that thing really work as a posting place of gamers? I def kinda like that console access stuff. Too bad their pricing is high.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Rinkles posted:

Admittedly this usually works out better with the cheaper and/or older devices

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

IG-88 posted:

I just got a credit for $90 at Amazon and I’m thinking of getting that 8-bit arcade stick. I’ll have uses more than just my analogue pocket, right?

8Bitdo Arcade Stick for Switch & Windows, Arcade Fight Stick Support Wireless Bluetooth, 2.4G Receiver and Wired Connection https://a.co/d/dqAG05W

I just got the version for xbox one / series s/x. I love it.
I have an older one (n30) that works with the pocket that I bought as “broken” for like $20. Replaced the jank buttons with genuine sanwa buttons and it rocks for playing Neo geo games on the pocket.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Rinkles posted:

yeah that's the big issue. the markups are at least $30-40. the X55 is $135 on Amazon for example, the RG353PS and VS are $120, Odin Pro is $300 (vs $200 on AYN's site), etc

it just comes down to whether you're willing to pay that extra amount to get it shipped to you faster (and easier returns)

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

IG-88 posted:

I just got a credit for $90 at Amazon and I’m thinking of getting that 8-bit arcade stick. I’ll have uses more than just my analogue pocket, right?

8Bitdo Arcade Stick for Switch & Windows, Arcade Fight Stick Support Wireless Bluetooth, 2.4G Receiver and Wired Connection https://a.co/d/dqAG05W

What about one of these Neo Geo Fight Sticks? It can hook right up to a tv for games loaded on it, or it acts like a usb fight stick for other devices.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Corb3t posted:

What about one of these Neo Geo Fight Sticks? It can hook right up to a tv for games loaded on it, or it acts like a usb fight stick for other devices.

Yikes, I wish it looked more aesthetically pleasing lol

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

IG-88 posted:

Yikes, I wish it looked more aesthetically pleasing lol

More like the AES stick vs the bean?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Capcom logo stick is very funny too

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Just reminds of a big rear end game pad. Uncomfortable to have on my lap and wobbly on a table? I dunno. I was never a big fan of Terry Bogard.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

IG-88 posted:

I was never a big fan of Terry Bogard.

:mods:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

IG-88 posted:

I was never a big fan of Terry Bogard.

Are you okay?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I should hook up my Neo geo and play it. My youngest will sometimes play a game with me that name out before he was born. The older one not so much.

So apparently polymegas (polymegii?) are actually getting shipped to Japan. I have absolutely zero faith in Playmaji to meet their promise to have 100% of base unit orders delivered before the end of the year but now I’m wondering where exactly I’m going to put it. Especially since I ordered an analogue duo which is similarly supposed to be delivered by years end. I think I’m going to run into a storage dilemma.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hypothetically, how impossible would it be to transplant a 4” display onto a Retroid Pocket 2? Let’s just assume the bezel is big enough to accommodate the size difference.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Nothing is impossible if you either have skill, money, or the ability to accept a hideous thing you’ve created.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I have neither of the first two, I was just wondering.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rinkles posted:

Hypothetically, how impossible would it be to transplant a 4” display onto a Retroid Pocket 2? Let’s just assume the bezel is big enough to accommodate the size difference.
It's gonna be a lot harder than you reckon because 1) a bigger screen will use more power, power that it may not have, and 2) there are buttons below the screen that you will have to relocate somewhere else

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Been reading about Sanwa switches and how they’re effectively arcade parts. That video from the retro console army guy made it seem like the difference wasn’t much though. So is it worth it?

Also, I was checking out this thread and they mention some extra parts, what are they here:

https://focusattack.com/

Something about a 4 lb spring and an octogate? (As you can tell, I don’t know much about fight sticks but I want to play shmups and such.

Aiming for a purple and green color scheme. :D

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It's all about feel, if you don't have knowledge of what specifically you want from an arcade stick you'll probably be fine with whatever buttons are stock in the 8bitdo stick. Then if you want to go down the dark road that is custom arcade sticks go with god.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Assepoester posted:

It's gonna be a lot harder than you reckon because 1) a bigger screen will use more power, power that it may not have, and 2) there are buttons below the screen that you will have to relocate somewhere else

the buttons are below the screen bezel

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Just hold the thing closer to your face if you want a bigger screen.

Some people, I swear.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

what got me thinking down this line was the paranoid idea of Retroid pulling another 3+ and releasing a new 2S with a larger screen in a month's time

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The 3+ wasn’t a larger screen though. If they were going to do a bigger screen it’d just be a whole new device. Also if you wanted a 4” 4:3 screen the 405 was right there.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I haven't even touched my 2S (it's still in China). I don't know whether the screen will bother me that much. I was thinking out loud.

I know about the 405, which might have been ideal, but it's a whole lot more expensive.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

you'll be alright

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hgGjnaofTU

MARS made its first appearance yesterday. It's nothing special right now over the Mister but it's still neat to see.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

IG-88 posted:

Been reading about Sanwa switches and how they’re effectively arcade parts. That video from the retro console army guy made it seem like the difference wasn’t much though. So is it worth it?

Also, I was checking out this thread and they mention some extra parts, what are they here:

https://focusattack.com/

Something about a 4 lb spring and an octogate? (As you can tell, I don’t know much about fight sticks but I want to play shmups and such.

Aiming for a purple and green color scheme. :D

Before you start modding, start playing games with it. Find what you like and you don't like about it, then mod it to your tastes. You might be completely happy with how it plays as is.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
is the 3ds still really gangbusters at running stuff up through the n64/psx era? what should i keep in mind before i begin haxing it

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rinkles posted:

the buttons are below the screen bezel

Yeah that's what I meant... hmmm those analog sticks are closer to the screen than I remember, you'd run into issues with them long before you run into issues with the buttons.

But if the idea is only to add a screen that eats up all the space that is taken up by the bezel currently, and no more, that might be doable, sure.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Lady Radia posted:

is the 3ds still really gangbusters at running stuff up through the n64/psx era? what should i keep in mind before i begin haxing it
Pretty sure PlayStation emulation is spotty even on a New 3DS, no idea what N64 is like but I'd imagine it's probably even worse considering the states of those consoles on PC. IIRC you mostly want to stick to the consoles the 3DS has native Virtual Console emulators for, even if the actual VC emulator is not your software of choice. Vita is a much better console for portable PlayStation emulation, and I'd imagine you'd have to get one of the more dedicated emulation handhelds for N64.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I understand S/NES GB/A to be good on n3ds but outside of that as a stretch.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Doing emulation on first party consoles and handhelds that aren't the Series S/X is just asking for more of a headache than it's worth dealing with, just buy a third party handheld and save yourself a lot of frustration

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I tried running Crash 3 on my New 2DS and it was unplayably bad.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

mariooncrack posted:

Before you start modding, start playing games with it. Find what you like and you don't like about it, then mod it to your tastes. You might be completely happy with how it plays as is.

Thanks man

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

ok what are the cool handhelds? just retroid pocket 3+? i really like hall sticks

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Lady Radia posted:

ok what are the cool handhelds? just retroid pocket 3+? i really like hall sticks

pocket 3+ if you want a splash of gcn/ps2 and don't mind start/select being on the top edge, pocket 2s if you don't care as much about that gen and like sane start/select placement and having hall sticks from the get go, not sure what's new in anbernic town other than the saturn looking device that doesn't really do saturn very well, ayn and aya have like six devices every week

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

kirbysuperstar posted:

pocket 3+ if you want a splash of gcn/ps2 and don't mind start/select being on the top edge, pocket 2s if you don't care as much about that gen and like sane start/select placement and having hall sticks from the get go, not sure what's new in anbernic town other than the saturn looking device that doesn't really do saturn very well, ayn and aya have like six devices every week

hall sticks from the get go?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lady Radia posted:

What systems are you looking to emulate and what's your budget?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

drrockso20 posted:

What systems are you looking to emulate and what's your budget?

gcn and ps2 for a couple but tbh i'd be satisfied with psx/n64 compat. my biggest interest is in NES/SNES and the Gameboys ofc, which i know RP3+ could handle well

budget is just within reason i guess? don't want to pay like $500 or w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

ayn and aya have like six devices every week

That’s just Aya, Ayn have only launched 3 models in 2 years. They just launch with so many different SKUs (Lite/Base/Pro) and colour combinations that it takes them months to get them all made, organised and out the door.

Froist fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Nov 20, 2023