Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Anyway sorry about the medical scare but congratulations on not having a breakdown after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Tracker is now updated to Day 5

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Trade request please! I want to get off Mister Abi's wild ride.

Abi for either of my alternate picks - Wakamotoharu or Kotonowaka - if either is free, if not then it's fate.

I've been completely undone by deliberately putting my favourite boys at the top of each pick and getting my draft in early. Don't be like me, be like Shodai.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Endo's gonna turn it around now for sure.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Brut posted:

numbers :swoon:

Transparency that real rikishi can only dream of!

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Taffy Torpedo posted:

Endo's gonna turn it around now for sure.

Fingers crossed. He and Roga are dragging my team down. Hoping week two will be kinder to them.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

That's a wonderful tracker. A fine addition to Kenning's hard work. We really are spoiled in this sumo thread.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Nativity In Black posted:

Fingers crossed. He and Roga are dragging my team down. Hoping week two will be kinder to them.

Yep, Ura and Roga are my boat anchors atm.

Ura will keep. He started off the week with five sanyaku matches in a row, so I'm hoping that the worst of the meatgrinder is past and he'll scrape out some wins versus the rest of the maegashira and get his momentum back.

Roga, idk. If he gets dunked by Takara-loving-fuji then I'm trading him.

(TBF, it was a risky pick; most wrestlers' first time in makuuchi is a wakeup call. I remember picking Atamifuji on his first basho at M15 after watching him crush in juryo -- and he got steamrolled 4-11, insta-demoted, and spent four bashos in juryo getting his head back on straight before he came back in his current form.)

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Nishikigi continues to be my dude and we are welcoming all onto the bandwagon. He is In a place where he will always get you your KK.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Beeswax posted:

Yeah I put that down to google translate having an aneurysm with Japanese or something.

i don't know how it got toko from the first kanji but i know that some shikona aren't exactly obvious for natives which is part of the reason why they always have the hiragana pronounciation shown above the kanji during broadcasts

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Today is the day to watch if you want to see a man pick up and carry a tree :eyepop:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Hell of a main event today.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003

Tracker is now updated to Day 6

This assumes the following trades went through before Day 6:
Taffy Torpedo - Tohakuryu to Ichiyamamoto
Single Tight Female - Abi to Wakamotoharu

I'll revise if Kenning confirms differently.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Looking to trade Hokuseiho for Shonannoumi or Atamifuji.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Last two bouts owned.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I'd like to switch Gonoyama for Nishkigi please.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I've just decided to give watching sumo a try and having a lot of fun so far! My decision has coincided with the start of the November tournament, so I've been watching the NHK highlights the last 4 nights and am really enjoying them.

Having little background narratives, as communicated by the commentators, enhances the enjoyment of just watching the sport itself, for example Daieishō's bid for ōzeki and Takakeisho gunning for yokozuma (though he lost on day 4, whoops; I suppose that's not the biggest setback as long as his record this month is good overall, and assuming he wins the required 2nd tournament in a row this month... I know it's not guaranteed though).

Anyway, I know a lot more about sumo than I did a week ago, and I'm looking forward to escaping from my visiting in-laws this evening and watching day 5.

Couple of questions:

1. This tournament seems to only be for Makuuchi - I am only seeing Maegashira upwards; or is that just the highlights and there are wrestlers from lower divisions also competing?
2. Are all members of the Makuuchi competing each tournament; if not, how is it decided who does and who does not?
3. Does the rule of members of the same stable not being able to compete against each other ever cause issues with setup? Presumably not everyone fights everyone in a given tournament, given they only do 15 bouts, so there's that, but do you ever get a situation where all or most, let's say for example ōzeki, are in the same stable and don't ever get to compete against each other? That sounds like it would have the potential to undermine competitive integrity.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

1. This tournament seems to only be for Makuuchi - I am only seeing Maegashira upwards; or is that just the highlights and there are wrestlers from lower divisions also competing?

Most/all of the divisions fight as well, generally you only see highlights of the Makuuchi division but there are streamers who will stream the whole thing and it is aired in total for a solid like 9-10 hours a day.

2. Are all members of the Makuuchi competing each tournament; if not, how is it decided who does and who does not?

Anyone who is, or isn't really, healthy does compete. Generally only serious injuries will keep you out of a tournament though wrestlers will do stupid poo poo and compete when they really shouldn't due to tradition/Fighting spirit/respect for the sport/idiocy.

3. Does the rule of members of the same stable not being able to compete against each other ever cause issues with setup? Presumably not everyone fights everyone in a given tournament, given they only do 15 bouts, so there's that, but do you ever get a situation where all or most, let's say for example ōzeki, are in the same stable and don't ever get to compete against each other? That sounds like it would have the potential to undermine competitive integrity.

Someone who knows better can fill this in more for me but a lot of the matchmaking rules are generally guidelines that are followed to the spirit if not the letter. There will eventually be people from the same stable competing if two people just go on a tear but that's stuff that usually they leave until later in the tournament in the hopes that it all works itself out.

Remember to that people get paid according to rank/wins/special prizes etc which I feel would tamp down on some of the collusion aspects of it, even if they went through the giant match fixing scandal years back. A lot of these guys are also just competitive as hell and want to do their best because who wouldn't want to be seen as a national treasure.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Couple of questions:

1. All the divisions fight but the highlights videos usually just show the top level fights though. Makuuchi and Juryo guys fight every day, everyone lower has 7 matches/tourney so only half the division goes on any given day, but the card takes like the entire day. There are degens on Twitch that stream the whole thing if you want to watch a skinny 16 year old fight fight a a fat 30 something no hoper.

2. Everyone goes other than injured dudes like Terunofuji and Asanoyama. Basically unless they have a body part that's fallen off, they will try since there's no rank protection for injuries so it just counts as if you went 0-15/0-7.

3. Not too often. There isn't a dominant enough team at the top that it's an issue right now but in the 90s the stupidly OP Futagoyama stable existed https://sumodb.sumogames.de/Banzuke.aspx?b=199807&heya=-1&shusshin=-1&h=on where they had 2 Yokozuna (who were also brothers), an Ozeki and a couple guys in lower sanyaku/joi (including Oho's dad). Takanohana (the better Yokozuna) got to clean up because he got to skip like half the sanyaku while his main rival Akebono had to run the gauntlet every time. Taka had 22 yusho to Akebono's 11, but they were dead even head to head.

Edit: They are actually strict on the no intra-stable fights. The only exception is a day 15 playoff if they are tied for the yusho where they don't have another option .

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 17, 2023

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Day 6: Not sure if I was more thrilled at the tree carry, Sadanoumi managing to put dirt on Atamifuji, or Takayasu's absolutely amazing komatasukui.

...kidding, it's Takayasu. Tons of great sumo today, but that throw - after resisting multiple throw attempts - was absolutely fantastic. And Papa needed a confidence builder. Just plain awesome.

But seriously: Ichiyamamoto basho??

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I guess I'm not quite ready to get of the Roga-coaster ride yet. There was definitely a range of emotions throughout that match, including the gyoji verdict and the mono-ii.

I thought about picking dollar store Abi (Ichiyamamoto) and now I wish I had. But, I think he'll probably fizzle as he gets tougher opponents next week.

Holy poo poo Takayasu v Hoshoryu was good! I would have preferred Hoshoryu win, and I think part of it was due to the gyoji being in the way at the beginning, but that leg trip was inspired!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Brothers and stablemates may not compete against each other, unless they are in a playoff to determine a yusho. This happened between Takanohana and his brother Wakanohana back when both were yokozuna.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

yeeeesh i only got 1 point yesterday thanks Ura lmao

but, i'm still implementing my brand of sumo by having a fun time anyway

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Vargatron posted:

Brothers and stablemates may not compete against each other, unless they are in a playoff to determine a yusho. This happened between Takanohana and his brother Wakanohana back when both were yokozuna.

hakuho / enho a) happening and b) being perfect in every way will forever be awesome.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

It's actually better for competitive integrity imo.

Let's say that it's day 13 and you're 8-4, safe at your rank but out of contention for the cup. What are you gonna do if you get matched up against a stablemate who's 6-6? Are you really gonna give it your all and try seriously to beat them? After all, if they end up going 7-8 there's a good chance they'll blame it on you and you've still got to live with them at the stable. Wouldn't it be a lot easier to throw them a bone and avoid all that? After all, there's a huge difference between going 8-7 and 7-8 but almost no difference between a 8-7 and a 9-6, so it's not like it'll really cost you anything...

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
Trade request: Tohakuryu for Ichiyamamoto, Tamawashi, or Tomokaze, in that order of preference.

I was gambling on a Tokushoryu kind of thing where everyone would fail to deal with the guy with the one weird trick, but I guess someone who does nothing but pull is easy to figure out.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Khizan posted:

After all, there's a huge difference between going 8-7 and 7-8 but almost no difference between a 8-7 and a 9-6, so it's not like it'll really cost you anything...

You miss out on a couple envelopes, but oh well, guess you'll just need a buddy to pick up the bill for you next night out.

Marching Powder posted:

hakuho / enho a) happening and b) being perfect in every way will forever be awesome.
Can't mention it without the link.

https://youtu.be/z_Snp5jaRK4?si=ZCA-WJeyVRiUAouy

It's from an exhibition tournament so they aren't really taking it seriously, but everyone is having a great time.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
my loving manners. cheers for the wholesome sumo assist.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Hokuseiho vs Midorifuji: Well, that's a first for me in 2-3 years of watching sumo. Water break called at the 4 minute mark.

do it on my face
Feb 6, 2005
°
we now bring you back to the second half of action where hokuseiho is still just standing there

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Speaking of water, when did it become ok to start drinking the water again during the pre-match prep? It used to be just going through the motions without actually drinking because of the infection risk.

E: Yusho race still pretty wide open

anakha fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Nov 18, 2023

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It just started with this basho.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

ullerrm posted:

Hokuseiho vs Midorifuji: Well, that's a first for me in 2-3 years of watching sumo. Water break called at the 4 minute mark.

[kent brockman watching soccer voice] holds it. holds it. hollllllds it. AND CHAOS HAS BROKEN OUT AS THE TWO COMBATANTS BREAK TO DRINK WATER

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I missed a day, but I stayed up late and got to see Day 7 right as Kinta posted it, and was totally stoked to see my first water break. God bless Midorifuji for sticking it out so long. Also, I was hoping Takakeisho would rejoin the leader group today, but alas. I'm concerned about his rope run at this point.

Taffy Torpedo posted:

Can I please trade Tohakuryu for Ichiyamamoto?

I'm allowing myself this trade because Tohakuryu is not one of My Boys.

Single Tight Female posted:

Trade request please! I want to get off Mister Abi's wild ride.

Abi for either of my alternate picks - Wakamotoharu or Kotonowaka - if either is free, if not then it's fate.

You both get your picks (Ichiyamamoto and Wakamotoharu) for Day 6.

Banana Canada posted:

Tracker is now updated to Day 6

This assumes the following trades went through before Day 6:
Taffy Torpedo - Tohakuryu to Ichiyamamoto
Single Tight Female - Abi to Wakamotoharu

I'll revise if Kenning confirms differently.

Thank you for your service comrade.

Robviously posted:

Looking to trade Hokuseiho for Shonannoumi or Atamifuji.

Ice Phisherman posted:

I'd like to switch Gonoyama for Nishkigi please.

Tiny Bug Child posted:

Trade request: Tohakuryu for Ichiyamamoto, Tamawashi, or Tomokaze, in that order of preference.

I was gambling on a Tokushoryu kind of thing where everyone would fail to deal with the guy with the one weird trick, but I guess someone who does nothing but pull is easy to figure out.

You all get your trades for Day 7 (Shonannoumi, Nishikigi, and Ichiyamamoto).

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I've just decided to give watching sumo a try and having a lot of fun so far! My decision has coincided with the start of the November tournament, so I've been watching the NHK highlights the last 4 nights and am really enjoying them.

Welcome to sumo and to the thread! As you can see, we're all delighted to answer any sort of questions, we just love the Large Men and want to share.

I'm gonna spoiler the Day 7 results cause I'm posting them so early.

Day 7 standings

Makuuchi
code:
26	Iron Chef Nex
25	anakha
24	Ice Phisherman
23	Banana Canada
23	Thauros
23	Xerzes
22	Communist Thoughts
22	MalarkeyToboggan
22	Teddybear
21	Akiosan
21	Khizan
21	Netsky
21	pseudodragon
20	Fluffdaddy
20	GoatSeeGuy
20	Pakled
20	whats for dinner
19	bartolimu
19	Brut
19	Marching Powder
19	Robviously
19	Saturnine Aberrance
19	Vargatron
18	Crusty Nutsack
18	Kenning
18	Mode 7
18	NuclearPotato
18	Tiny Bug Child
17	Average Lettuce
17	Helianthus Annuus
17	Jobbo_Fett
16	captainblastum
16	Everyones Favorite Poster
16	Kuros
16	Lid
15	Charles Gnarwin
14	MyChemicalImbalance
13	Nativity In Black

Juryo
code:
25	bessantj
24	Dead Goon
23	NTRabbit
23	Samuel L. Hacksaw
21	Boogalo
21	Kennedy
21	Takuan
21	Winter Stormer
20	Ben Nerevarine
20	Fearless
20	Log082
20	oldskool
20	QuasiQuack
20	rare Magic card l00k
19	Beexoffel
19	Bentai
19	Biosys
19	Chinook
19	Eldoop
19	Liquid Communism
19	Octatonic
19	ullerrm
18	Gaghskull
18	PJ
17	FART BOSS
17	Kerrzhe
17	KungFu Grip
16	Rags to Liches
15	ImplicitAssembler
15	Medenmath
15	Single Tight Female
15	Taffy Torpedo

Kenning fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 18, 2023

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003

Tracker is now updated to Day 7

All confirmed trades are now up-to-date.

Noticed I made a few errors in logging the trades on my tracker. These should now be fixed for Day 7 totals but I'll need to go back later and fix a few of the historical day-by-day scores.

Kenning - I have Everyones Favorite Poster at 16 which is the only discrepancy between your list and mine.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Banana Canada posted:

Kenning - I have Everyones Favorite Poster at 16 which is the only discrepancy between your list and mine.

Good catch, trading issue, I just fixed it.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

ullerrm posted:

Yeah this was super cool to me. Maybe it's silly to be excited by what is essentially nothing happening at all, but I enjoyed getting to see it. Midorifuji almost pulled off a win too. I'm impressed by how much a smaller rikishi can get done against a larger opponent.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Medenmath posted:

I'm impressed by how much a smaller rikishi can get done against a larger opponent.

it must be extremely frustrating for the bigger guys, because ~90% of their practice has been done with beefy lads. then all of a sudden their professional reputation is on the line against a dude 40 kgs lighter but moving laterally way faster every now and again just to make sure you are never settling into a rhythm.

it's good poo poo is what i'm saying.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

I have broken down, and come to request a trade - possibly.

I am looking to trade Wakamotoharu for Kotonowaka.

Only if that trade is not possible due to how the draft has fallen, would I instead ask to trade Kinbozan for Shonannoumi.

If neither is available! Then I'll stay with my team as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Coming back to the forums to say that I love Takakeisho but he's never gonna be a yokozuna. Too many other strong established guys and up and comers for me to see him pulling off two in a row or having a Kisenosato kind of 'dominantly the second best guy over and over' boost off one.