Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Neo Rasa posted:

I saw all three Hobbit movies. What in the gently caress. Battle of the Five Armies more like Batle of Five Hours for how blah and long that flick felt. WTF I just remembered the bear guy like drops out of the sky at one point and is never seen or mentioned again. Also some big worms appear and are never mentioned where the gently caress even were they, why was that filmed

I know Billy Connolly wasn't available to reshoot his entire role but how in the gently caress did they think dropping a 2010 WoW trailer level CG version of him in there was the way to go? Like was that really better than just putting a double in a wig like they clearly did for Christopher Lee any time we weren't seeing an extreme closeup?

What did they originally film with him that was so bad that what we got was meant to be better lmao

The worst thing about those three movies though is that each one has a minute or two or a couple of quick shots here or there that clearly did have some love put into them. Like they probably could have done three solid flicks if there wasn't such a concerted effort to just churn poo poo out. What an absolute waste of a lot of talented people's time.

The melting gold, I seriously could not believe what I was watching for that entire part where they're assembling it and the ensuing melting effects. And then because the dwarves never saw Alien 3 they're surprised when he just shakes it off instead if splashing cold water on him to make him explode.

I’m glad somebody else mentioned Alien3, because for just a moment my interest was piqued and I wondered if they were going to maim or kill Smaug with that trick… and then he shakes it off like Singin’ in the fuckin’ Rain, and decides he’s gonna rageboner all over Lake-town. La dee dah. Never saw the third, apparently missed the apotheosis of desperate filler on film for that year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

smoke weed no days

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean it makes sense, he's gettin old and smoking any substance long enough is gonna be bad for you.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cut to him doing a Super Bowl commercial for some vape or edible in two months

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still lol how the Battle of Five Armies only had four

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I also saw all three hobbit movies when they came out.
But I honestly just forgot everything of them outside of parts of the opening from the first movie. Probably because of the two songs that show up there that I liked.

I think I only saved the soundtrack from the first one, even if it ends with an Ed Sheeran track.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Neo Rasa posted:

The melting gold, I seriously could not believe what I was watching for that entire part where they're assembling it and the ensuing melting effects. And then because the dwarves never saw Alien 3 they're surprised when he just shakes it off instead if splashing cold water on him to make him explode.

To this day one of the worst effects in a big budget film.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

FlamingLiberal posted:

Cut to him doing a Super Bowl commercial for some vape or edible in two months

Chatter is this, or he's committing to be drama free in his old age (no "smoke")

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Someone really, really, really wanted another LOTR trilogy and wasn't going to take "no" for an answer. That's the only explanation that makes any sense at all to me for how those Hobbit movies turned out the way they did.

If anyone is really interested in an in-depth autopsy of how these three films were made, Lindsay Ellis's three-part breakdown of the films is pretty much the gold standard (https://youtu.be/uTRUQ-RKfUs?feature=shared). I know YouTube essays are not everyone's thing, but she does an immense amount of research and even flies to New Zealand to interview members of the cast! It's a great description of the inner workings of filmmaking and how everything was stacked against these films ever being good.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

What's even worse about the Hobbit movies is that they released a Lego video game version between the second and third with promises that the third part of the story would be added as DLC. Then after the movie did so poorly, they quietly cancelled it so the game remains incomplete.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Anonymous Zebra posted:

If anyone is really interested in an in-depth autopsy of how these three films were made, Lindsay Ellis's three-part breakdown of the films is pretty much the gold standard (https://youtu.be/uTRUQ-RKfUs?feature=shared). I know YouTube essays are not everyone's thing, but she does an immense amount of research and even flies to New Zealand to interview members of the cast! It's a great description of the inner workings of filmmaking and how everything was stacked against these films ever being good.

Seconding this watch if you find the time.

I agree with her, and I hope most people, that Martin Freeman was an excellent casting choice for Bilbo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea for sure, Freeman was a really good Bilbo and he was a bright spot in those movies.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

:yeah: on all that, wish he had more to do. As I mentioned before the best scenes of the movie (and of the book) were Bilbo's verbal duels with Gollum and Smaug and he sells both of those

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Neo Rasa posted:

I know Billy Connolly wasn't available to reshoot his entire role but how in the gently caress did they think dropping a 2010 WoW trailer level CG version of him in there was the way to go? Like was that really better than just putting a double in a wig like they clearly did for Christopher Lee any time we weren't seeing an extreme closeup?

It was so sad to see Christopher Lee in the Hobbit films. He clearly wasn't guided through the greenscreen process well so it's painfully obvious he's not seeing any of the other characters in the scene, and he looks like a doddering old man.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I don't know what you guys are talking about, there's only one Hobbit film and was released in 1977

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Family matters.

Oh, wait, excuse me. Family Matters is back in animated form

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_J1vG-ut3U

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's also very funny that Saruman tells everyone to leave Sauron to him and it doesn't occur to Gandalf or Galadriel the Tactical Nuke to go check in on that whole thing for like a century or whatever

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

Family matters.

Oh, wait, excuse me. Family Matters is back in animated form

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_J1vG-ut3U
Not that it was going to be good anyway but there appears to be a complete lack Reginald VelJohnson in this. The later seasons of the show suffered from too much goddamn Urkel, and this seems to have completely leaned into it.

A Christmas special aimed at kids featuring a breakout character from a sitcom that ended 25 years ago is a strange choice. Even in this world of cheap nostalgia ploys we live in.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Alan Smithee posted:

He shakes it off like a wet dog but is like really traumatized by it

Again in the book he just gets mad and goes “I’m gonna burn that loving town down like I should have already!” And fucks off to just that

I really like how, in the book, Smaug is a world threatening calamity that's just very, very lazy. He was basically dozing like a house cat for enough human generations to pass into myth, gets woken up by a hobbit and starts becoming his own personal hype man, because even when talking to a burglar he plans to kill he's still his own favorite subject. Then, when he finally gets mad enough to go burn down the town, the ends up having a grand old time because he hadn't enjoyed "the sport of town baiting" in years.

I don't care, genuinely it doesn't do anything for me, how good Benedict Cumberbatch might or might not be in the movie, the movie is so bad I don't have any fond memories from the second. I have a vague feeling of liking the dwarves being obnoxious at the start of the first one, though I recall even then seeing the dinner clean up song and thinking they were laying it on way too thick with the CGI.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 17, 2023

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

It's also very funny that Saruman tells everyone to leave Sauron to him and it doesn't occur to Gandalf or Galadriel the Tactical Nuke to go check in on that whole thing for like a century or whatever

To be fair, they're all functionally immortal. A century to an Elf or a Wizard is probably like a couple of months in human terms. In the books, Gandalf was gone for 17 years before coming back to the Shire to check in on Frodo and the ring.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Cristopher Lee in his prime could have killed Sauron in 7 ways before he hit the ground

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

hallo spacedog posted:

I don't know what you guys are talking about, there's only one Hobbit film and was released in 1977

That movie isn't exactly good, but it was way more solid than I expected.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

hallo spacedog posted:

This will always be the definitive version of The Hobbit for me. It had a banging soundtrack too. My bros and I still go down, down to goblin town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogTDa-vG2MQ

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Schwarzwald posted:

That movie isn't exactly good, but it was way more solid than I expected.

You're right, it's not good, it's amazing.

(This was one of the few VHS I had as a kid and so I watched it til it fell apart. I also feel like it captures for me what I liked about the vibe of the book and the world and everything so I'll always feel fondly about it)

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Neo Rasa posted:

Also some big worms appear and are never mentioned where the gently caress even were they, why was that filmed

Because in the book Bilbo says “Tell me what you want done, and I will try it, if I have to walk from here to the East of East and fight the wild Were-worms in the Last Desert.”

So I imagine there was a meeting where they were trying to think of more poo poo to throw on the screen for the final battle, and someone said, "what about the wild were-worms?"

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

jisforjosh posted:

Seconding this watch if you find the time.

I agree with her, and I hope most people, that Martin Freeman was an excellent casting choice for Bilbo.

100%

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Freeman's also a really well-cast bright spot in HHGttG

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

To this day one of the worst effects in a big budget film.

It looks like a commercial for butterscotch candy.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean it makes sense, he's gettin old and smoking any substance long enough is gonna be bad for you.

Didn’t the same thing happen to his fellow Weed enthusiast Willie Nelson? His old man lungs were just too hosed up from decades of nonstop smoke so he had to switch to edibles?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

RBA Starblade posted:

The fifth army is the audience struggling to make it to the end of the movie.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Snoop and Willie Nelson will actually drop dead if they stop smoking weed.

There is no way Snoop stopped smoking weed. It has to be a ruse of some sort. Or maybe he invented some sort of bizarro weed that gives you the same sensations, but in carbonated liquid form.

The anti-energy drink.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

The fifth army is the audience struggling to make it to the end of the movie.

The whole Fifth Army was standing just out of frame, laughing.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I think Willie is a weed elemental at this point

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

If Willie had a Viking funeral, everyone in attendance would ascend to another plane of existence outside of normal spacetime.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Does Willy's will say who will get to smoke his ashes?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
It's an edible

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

The fifth army were the friends we made along the way.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1725635596616355934?s=20

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Wouldn’t a were-worm be a man who turns into a worm? He sounds very easy to fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

vegetables posted:

Wouldn’t a were-worm be a man who turns into a worm? He sounds very easy to fight

Not if he's the God Emperor of Dune.