Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

End of the day there's no constitutional order that can survive a complicit desire to overthrow that order shared among all those who control all branches of government. If the president desires to pardon himself and congress and the courts allow it and the people do not revolt, what were words on paper supposed to do?

All the founders had just spent like a decade literally firing cannon at people over this stuff.

Maybe not have rigged the senate so that it can be decided by a small minority of the very wealthy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Murgos posted:

Maybe not have rigged the senate so that it can be decided by a small minority of the very wealthy?

Probably should have avoided sending representatives made up almost entirely of the wealthiest land owners to write the rules then. Maybe next Constitutional Convention we hold once we figure out how to not let the Gulf Coast states know it's happening.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 17, 2023

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Murgos posted:

The country was controlled by a small minority of the very wealthy.

I get that our whole mythology conditions us to think of the constitution as a bunch of people sitting down trying to come up with the best, most free and fair system of government, but that's not how any of this works.

It was a bunch of elites who had won control of the country by force of arms trying to come up with a stable power-sharing agreement. Yes, many of them had legit principles regarding democracy, and yes I think most if not all of them thought democracy/republican government was the best path to stability, but at the end of they day they weren't giving themselves power--they already had power or represented those who did--what they were doing was figuring out how much of it they had to/should give up to make the country work.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Jarmak posted:

The country was controlled by a small minority of the very wealthy.

Gyges posted:

Probably should have avoided sending representatives made up almost entirely of the wealthiest land owners to write the rules then. Maybe next Constitutional Convention we hold once we figure out how to not let the Gulf Coast states know it's happening.

Right, this is exactly my point. The founders sat around making high minded arguments that they were doing their absolute best to preserve the fundamental rights of the people. Except that in their minds, 'the people' was wealthy white land owners and that the entire constitution is rigged around the concept that wealthy white landowners are the ones the state exists to benefit.

Recall that the original intent was that the senate would be appointed by the states legislatures and so was guaranteed to be other rich white landowners and had no popular vote aspect to it at all.

So, what they are really doing here when limiting the presidents pardon powers in the event of a treason but still letting the rich white landowners decide if that person get still be president after a treason is really just saying, "As long as the treasonous behavior didn't try to take our wealth from us." Because that's the only real self-interest such a body would have.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
That's not fair at all. Poor and middle class white land owners also had interests guaranteed by the State.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Murgos posted:

Look the founders made many bad decisions

I don't think they *could* have drafted a system robust enough to handle the current republican party without trauma, though. The issue isn't so much constitutional rule making as the existence of mass radicalizing media.

Maybe if they had implemented a parliamentary system. Or if they had thought to put in antimonopoly rules from the start.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Maybe if they had implemented a parliamentary system.

That wasn't enough to prevent the UK from falling into its similar, but different, dysfunction over the last decade or two, though.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I don't think the UK Parliament of the eighteenth century is really comparable to what it is now.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Star Man posted:

I don't think the UK Parliament of the eighteenth century is really comparable to what it is now.

It was better. It all went downhill once they let the Irish in and only one person was mandated to wear a powdered wig instead of everyone.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fuschia tude posted:

That wasn't enough to prevent the UK from falling into its similar, but different, dysfunction over the last decade or two, though.

Yeah, the root issue is that Murdoch exists. England's system is a little more robust but the root issue is total capture of the media by the right wing noise machine.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
I remember one of the checks/balances described in the federalist papers was that the United States was simply too large of a region for the schemes of federal-level factions to be viable. Like it’s simply impractical for a conspiracy to coordinate when it takes days/weeks to travel or communicate between states.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It was better. It all went downhill once they let the Irish in and only one person was mandated to wear a powdered wig instead of everyone.

As it always is and as it will always be. As Sigmund Freud once said:

"(The Irish are) one race for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever..."

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Gyges posted:

That's not fair at all. Poor and middle class white land owners also had interests guaranteed by the State.

I think this falls under the "stability" part of the elite's interests.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Should be getting the judges ruling in Colorado today at some point I believe.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Zotix posted:

Should be getting the judges ruling in Colorado today at some point I believe.

Isn’t this again gonna come down to the fact that we’re talking about the primary and not the GE ballot? The GOP, as a private group, are allowed to nominate a treasonous, 6 year old Albanian if they want to and the government can only regulate the actual election not their nomination. They’re completely in their rights to nominate an ineligible candidate, it’s just not smart.

Why won’t the judge kick this can down the road like in Michigan and Minnesota?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

Isn’t this again gonna come down to the fact that we’re talking about the primary and not the GE ballot? The GOP, as a private group, are allowed to nominate a treasonous, 6 year old Albanian if they want to and the government can only regulate the actual election not their nomination. They’re completely in their rights to nominate an ineligible candidate, it’s just not smart.

Why won’t the judge kick this can down the road like in Michigan and Minnesota?

I think the difference here is that the Colorado constitution places a specific duty on the state to ensure that people on the ballot are eligible. So, if the judge rules that the 14th amendment applies but just not for the primary then it paves the way for Colorado to reject Trump the moment he accepts the nomination.

It affirms the process and that it's applicable.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Murgos posted:

That's kind of a non-sequitor, isn't it? Whether or not Congress impeaches a hypothetical criminal president doesn't necessarily have anything to do with what social or economic classes make up Congress.

Certainly, the founders thought differently. But they were mostly concerned about the popular masses ushering in a criminal president while ignoring the elite decorum that would reject such a horrible scandal. And while I'm not saying they're right, the House GOP tends to be more pro-Trump than the Senate GOP.

Ultimately, the social makeup of Congress doesn't affect the argument you're responding to:

End of the day there's no constitutional order that can survive a complicit desire to overthrow that order shared among all those who control all branches of government. If the president desires to pardon himself and congress and the courts allow it and the people do not revolt, what were words on paper supposed to do?

All the founders had just spent like a decade literally firing cannon at people over this stuff.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1725609829513732313

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Oh heavens, thank goodness they are protecting the identities of the traitors who stormed the capitol. Wouldn't want them to suffer reputational impacts.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Oh heavens, thank goodness they are protecting the identities of the traitors who stormed the capitol. Wouldn't want them to suffer reputational impacts.

Eh, I can see an argument for blurring the faces so nutjobs on the internet don't start harassing random people for looking sorta-kinda like "the guy in the background of this shot if you freeze on this specific frame of video".

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Randalor posted:

Eh, I can see an argument for blurring the faces so nutjobs on the internet don't start harassing random people for looking sorta-kinda like "the guy in the background of this shot if you freeze on this specific frame of video".

I agree but at the same time I don't think that's why they're doing it.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Randalor posted:

Especially if they are going the route of saying all of them were paid by the DNC to act like Trump supporters.

"This one photo has been digitally enhanced and now we know that this person(who looks nothing like the actual person in real life) is actually a college leftist. Now we have proof this is all a conspiracy."

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

I remember one of the checks/balances described in the federalist papers was that the United States was simply too large of a region for the schemes of federal-level factions to be viable. Like it’s simply impractical for a conspiracy to coordinate when it takes days/weeks to travel or communicate between states.
An argument that was immediately disproven due to the immediate rise of national parties dominating national politics.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Georgia prosecutor in Trump election case proposes Aug. 5 trial date

quote:

Georgia prosecutor in Trump election case proposes Aug. 5 trial dateThe Georgia prosecutor leading the election-interference case against former president Donald Trump and 14 remaining co-defendants requested a trial date of Aug. 5, 2024, in a motion filed Friday afternoon.

The request, made to Fulton County Superior Court Judge Scott McAfee, notes that two criminal cases against Trump in federal court are scheduled for March and May, respectively, so an August start date in the Georgia case is “unlikely to be subject to delay or interference from these other trials.”

The motion does not mention new uncertainty about one of those cases, a federal case unfolding in Florida that accuses Trump and others of mishandling classified documents. While the case is still scheduled for May, U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon said last week that she will revisit deadlines in the case in early March.

The Fulton motion also sets a final plea hearing date of June 21, after which prosecutors will not entertain negotiated plea deals from defendants. It also argues against any consideration before that date of splitting up the case into multiple trials because of the number of defendants — and suggests that prosecutors will argue strenuously against any severing at all. So far, four of the original defendants have accepted negotiated plea deals.
In that interview at The Washington Post Live’s Global Women’s Summit, Willis (D) acknowledged that the anticipated trial could be ongoing on Election Day 2024 and possibly still underway on Inauguration Day.

“I believe in that case there will be a trial. I believe the trial will take many months. And I don’t expect that we will conclude until the winter or the very early part of 2025,” Willis said.

In the filing Friday, Willis wrote: “This proposed trial date balances potential delays from Defendant Trump’s other criminal trials in sister sovereigns and the other Defendants’ constitutional speedy trial rights.”

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Trump can run in Colorado.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/11/17/colorado-judge-rules-trump-engaged-in-insurrection-but-can-still-run-for-president-00127909

quote:

Colorado judge rules Trump ‘engaged in an insurrection’ — but can still run for president

A Colorado judge has turned away a challenge looking to disqualify former President Donald Trump from running for president under an interpretation of the 14th Amendment that argued he engaged in an insurrection against the United States on Jan. 6, 2021.

The ruling came in a case brought by progressive activists who sued the state, arguing that Trump was barred from returning to the office. A handful of courts in other states turned away similar challenges.

The judge found that Trump did engage in an insurrection on January 6, 2021 “through incitement, and that the First Amendment does not protect Trump’s speech.” But she also found that Section 3 of the 14th Amendment doesn’t apply to Trump.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
So yeah, he broke the law, was an insurrectionist, but hey, its Trump, so let him run! Amirite?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The decision by the judge that he actually committed insurrection is going to have some effect on his pending, and future, legal matters.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Cimber posted:

So yeah, he broke the law, was an insurrectionist, but hey, its Trump, so let him run! Amirite?

That's not what they said.

PainterofCrap posted:

The decision by the judge that he actually committed insurrection is going to have some effect on his pending, and future, legal matters.

What legal matters do you expect it's going to affect and why would this ruling affect them?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

A judge has reviewed the evidence and determined that he was fomenting insurrection. That's not a fun factoid for the defense in the 1/6 trial at all.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I cannot see how the ruling of a state judge in Colorado will be relevant to a federal proceeding out in DC or elsewhere other than as a non-binding supporting argument.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

A judge has reviewed the evidence and determined that he was fomenting insurrection. That's not a fun factoid for the defense in the 1/6 trial at all.

It won't be anything in that trial because it's not evidence of anything

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Fart Amplifier posted:

It won't be anything in that trial because it's not evidence of anything

It's at least a lede, innit?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Uglycat posted:

It will probably not be mentioned during any criminal trial.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Uglycat posted:

That’s not how case law works in the United States at all.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
The decision was that the wording of the 14th Amendment made an oopsie and says that you're not allowed to hold office if you engaged in insurrection after taking an oath of office as a whole bunch of things, but that whole bunch of things forgot to include the presidency because the POTUS isn't an "officer."

quote:

No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

So basically if he had held any other official position in his life he'd have been barred but because he's only ever been President it's fine.

Yikes.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Cimber posted:

No, the judge ruled that the Insurrection Clause doesn't apply to the presidency at all, because it doesn't explicitly say that the president is covered, and the judge doesn't dare to disqualify a president without a clear text explicitly and unambiguously saying so. I'm not even playing it here. Direct quote straight from the ruling:

quote:

Part of the Court's decision is its reluctance to embrace an interpretation which would disqualify a presidential candidate without a clear, unmistakable indication that such is the intent of Section Three.

It's a rather unusual ruling that seems to me like it was written with the intention of punting this up to the appeals courts. If the judge was confident that insurrection doesn't disqualify the president, there would have been no need to rule on whether Trump was an insurrectionist, since strictly speaking it's irrelevant to the ruling.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Wait I thought the Colorado thing was only to determine if he could be in the GOP primary?

Although I appreciate that the court feels that this is well above its pay grade, the idea that the President is not an officer of the United States seems so transparently absurd that I feel like I'm going (even more) insane. It is the office of the presidency. An officer is a person who holds a position of authority in a given organization. At no point does it carry connotations of any particular rank or subordination.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Ms Adequate posted:

Wait I thought the Colorado thing was only to determine if he could be in the GOP primary?

Although I appreciate that the court feels that this is well above its pay grade, the idea that the President is not an officer of the United States seems so transparently absurd that I feel like I'm going (even more) insane. It is the office of the presidency. An officer is a person who holds a position of authority in a given organization. At no point does it carry connotations of any particular rank or subordination.

It’s actually not absurd at all. In unrelated contexts, such as federal rulemaking and supervision of agencies, it’s a noncontroversial element of the whole enterprise that POTUS is not an “officer” of the United States and rules that apply to officers don’t apply to her/him.

This body of law isn’t directly applicable to the 14A question, but using a “lay” definition of the word “officer” doesn’t actually directly apply either. I’m not saying it’s an interpretation I endorse, but a reading that the political check of a President being elected nationally is a sufficient check, while Senators, Congresscritters, and inferior officers are all chosen by individual states or other local means and so are more susceptible to a treason-friendly subset of the US thus needing the explicit ban absolutely passes the small test.

Jean-Paul Shartre fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Nov 18, 2023

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 48 hours!)

OneEightHundred posted:

The decision was that the wording of the 14th Amendment made an oopsie and says that you're not allowed to hold office if you engaged in insurrection after taking an oath of office as a whole bunch of things, but that whole bunch of things forgot to include the presidency because the POTUS isn't an "officer."

So basically if he had held any other official position in his life he'd have been barred but because he's only ever been President it's fine.

Yikes.

If that's a correct interpretation of the Amendment I don't think it applies to the office of President at *all*?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

It's a rather unusual ruling that seems to me like it was written with the intention of punting this up to the appeals courts. If the judge was confident that insurrection doesn't disqualify the president, there would have been no need to rule on whether Trump was an insurrectionist, since strictly speaking it's irrelevant to the ruling.

Right. No one is touching this without a clear understanding that whatever the result is, it’s getting appealed all the way until it hits the top.

I’m sure CREW has spent the last year marshaling its arguments for this determination since it was one of the most apparent possible results and now it moves on up the ladder.