Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
rapid unscheduled dissassembly and we got so much data

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

tfw everything went well and you have some data

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

lmao

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
It’s actually quite impressive that the ship made it this far. Obviously it would have been better if the booster hadn’t blown up but they were trying a different way of separating the two stages (the last time both the booster and the ship blew up) so they were probably not surprised it didn’t go 100%

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lol

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Having your ship blow up when your CEO melts down is sub optimal.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Herstory Begins Now posted:

A SpaceX engineer has said in the last few minutes that the team has lost the data from the second stage of this flight.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

This is good for bitcoin.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

gschmidl posted:

A SpaceX engineer has said in the last few minutes that the team has lost the data from the second stage of this flight.

how the gently caress do you lose the data you just received. did all of their computers BSOD or something

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Unfortunately the data will be about the Jewish people that worked on the rocket.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

armpit_enjoyer posted:

how the gently caress do you lose the data you just received. did all of their computers BSOD or something

IBM did this

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

someday humankind will put a rocket into space

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

gschmidl posted:

That's part of the process. You are just too stupid to comprehend his genius

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
maybe elon should be on board the next rocket so he can fix any problems from the inside

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Not while the space laser is up there to foil the only man who could!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Convex posted:

maybe elon should be on board the next rocket so he can fix any problems from the inside

yeah none of this would've happened if he'd been manually flying the rocket himself

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Yeah, seems like the payload made orbit, so this can be counted as a win.

I'm conflicted about these things - I was a fan of Spacex when they were shaking up the complacent defense contractors and engaging in pretty solid engineering. Now though, it's a toss-up between cheering on spaceflight and cheering on when something explodes in Musk's face.

The previous failure was 100% on Musk's arrogance. They tried to launch a Saturn V class rocket from a poorly reinforced pad with no flame diversion trench and no water deluge system. People warned him this would go poorly, but Elon knew better. Shrapnel from the obliterated launch pad damaged a few engines before the rocket even cleared the tower and things got worse from there.

I wish the government stepped in and took SpaceX away from this walking security risk. From all I've heard from behind the scenes Spacex's successes were in spite of Elon, not because of him.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
When you separate but she keeps boostin'

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

armpit_enjoyer posted:

They never received data from the second stage apparently, so they called it and blew the ship rather than let it fly off-course.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Philonius posted:

I wish the government stepped in and took SpaceX away from this walking security risk. From all I've heard from behind the scenes Spacex's successes were in spite of Elon, not because of him.

If I recall correctly, musk can’t even be in the same room when engineers talk about SpaceX technology because he can’t get a security clearance.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Elon gave the word and they blew the rocket up. Everything went according to plan.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

ben shapino posted:

Elon gave the word and they blew the rocket up. Everything went according to plan.

he is pretty good at blowing things up tbh

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Philonius posted:

Yeah, seems like the payload made orbit, so this can be counted as a win.

As I understand it, the "second stage" was "Starship", like, the thing they expect to send people to Mars in, that catastrophically exploded minutes after separation, there wasn't a payload or a third stage, the second stage was it. Also, it didn't make orbit.

Please correct me, I know you will.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

kazil posted:

he is pretty good at blowing things up tbh

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
unless yall heard something else, on the stream they said that they lost the data-stream from the second stage (implying because it blew up) not the data

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Three Olives posted:

As I understand it, the "second stage" was "Starship", like, the thing they expect to send people to Mars in, that catastrophically exploded minutes after separation, there wasn't a payload or a third stage, the second stage was it. Also, it didn't make orbit.

hey it got further than the last one, that's total progress

just gotta launch a few dozen more starships and eventually one will not blow up. gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

kazil posted:

the booster blew up after separation

It self-destructed shortly after separation.

Much like Elon with Grimes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Elon getting bodied by Community Notes is always a good time. :allears:.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

was Elon onboard???

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CNN Live Feed posted:

The Starship system made it much further into flight than the first attempt in April, but ultimately ended in another explosion.

The rocket and spacecraft safely lifted off the pad, with the Super Heavy booster igniting all 33 of its engines. During the last attempt, multiple engines shut down prematurely.

Then, the Super Heavy booster and Starship spacecraft successfully separated, as the Starship lit up its engines and pushed away. That process ended up destroying the Super Heavy booster, which erupted into a ball of flames over the Gulf of Mexico. But the Starship spacecraft was able to briefly continue its journey.

A few minutes later, however, SpaceX was not able to regain a signal from the vehicle. And the company confirmed on its livestream that it was forced to trigger Starship's self-destruct feature.

It sounds like after separation they just had no telemetry from Starship and just called it.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Elon getting bodied by Community Notes is always a good time. :allears:.

he said it WILL give you access to it, not that it gives you access to it now

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Tigey posted:

It self-destructed shortly after separation.

Much like Elon with Grimes.

It was the fight termination system, so intentionally blowing it up so that something worse doesn't happen. No word yet on why that triggered.

That said, the first flight they tried to trigger the termination system on the first flight when it started tumbling and it didn't do anything which is the single biggest failure of the entire company. When you need to invoke the FTS if drat well better work or you have no business flying a rocket.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
We regret to inform you that the Spaceship contacted the woke mind virus #sports

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Three Olives posted:

Maybe I poorly phrased that. "Spacex will spin this as a win" , is probably better.

Seems the whole thing ended in failure, according to latest reports.

Philonius fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 18, 2023

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
First one got to 29km.
This one got to 90km.
Only another 5.7 million rockets to get to Mars.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

"....X works to protect the public's right to free speech."

Except if you want to say "cis." Or "decolonize." Or whatever specific words are currently getting under the skin of the owner of the platform.

Edit:

Ahahaha, I didn't realize this was a thing.

So is this just gonna be another bluff on their part? Because I now remember him threatening to sue the Center for Countering Digital Hate earlier this year.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 18, 2023

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

IBroughttheFunk posted:

"....X works to protect the public's right to free speech."

Except if you want to say "cis." Or "decolonize." Or whatever specific words are currently getting under the skin of the owner of the platform.
you're also not allowed to point out speech you don't like and you're also not allowed to stop advertising. But other than that

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Wait so the second stage lost contact, and is now in pieces, but they don't know if it broke up or if the onboard system intentionally destroyed it?
How can you not know that? If you're attempting to sling that thing over the 3/4 of the Earth, "Duuuhhh, we don't know where it went" should not be an option!

I Greyhound fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 18, 2023

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

happyhippy posted:

First one got to 29km.
This one got to 90km.
Only another 5.7 million rockets to get to Mars.

I love the idea that SpaceX views rocket launches as reiteration opportunities at the cost of tens, if not hundreds of millions of dollars and not failures of validation

Like, no, Honda doesn't start crash testing cars early in the development tests to make sure they don't explode in normal operation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

kazil posted:

lol rocket gonna blow up in ~30 minutes

this is where that "apollo/gift of prophecy" meme would go if this was The Everything App™