Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

I Greyhound posted:

Wait so the second stage lost contact, and is now in pieces, but they don't know if it broke up or if the onboard system intentionally destroyed it? How can you not know that? If you're attempting to sling that thing over the 3/4 of the Earth, "Duuuhhh, we don't know where it went" should not be an option!

I'll give them some leeway with this. When poo poo goes wrong you hope the telemetry isn't the thing that goes wrong so you can learn from it.
There have been crashed planes where they didn't have a loving clue what happened as the black box didn't work or was wrecked.

However if its intentional Elon style half assing cost cutting or such, then gently caress yeah thats some funny poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

"Thermonuclear Lawsuit"

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
I'd wager Musk demanded primary communication happen over Starlink instead of paying to having enough ground stations for good coverage. All data lost.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Pikavangelist posted:

this is where that "apollo/gift of prophecy" meme would go if this was The Everything App™

Except instead of "gift of prophesy" it would be more "Completely justified expectations based off of everything we have seen before"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
gift of prophecy would've been calling that it would manage to blow up twice in a single launch

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

redshirt posted:

"Thermonuclear Lawsuit"

I’m sure Media Matters is shaking in their boots and correctly facing cowboy hats.

Musk’s lawyers are going to mention ‘discovery’ and Elon will scurry away like he’s facing Zuck in an octagon.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
This is what happens when you dis groups who have space lasers.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Three Olives posted:

I love the idea that SpaceX views rocket launches as reiteration opportunities at the cost of tens, if not hundreds of millions of dollars and not failures of validation

Like, no, Honda doesn't start crash testing cars early in the development tests to make sure they don't explode in normal operation.

I wonder if this is due to Elon having more direct control over this program, compared to previous Spacex development. The rapid iteration approach led them to perfect the recovery of booster rockets pretty quickly, and Falcon 9 has a stellar safety record. I think it's on 250 consecutive succesful launches now. It'd be in his character to look at that, assume the way to success is to launch early and launch often, and ignore all the careful work that made that effective in the past.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Paul Newman in SLAPP Suit.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Philonius posted:

Yeah, seems like the payload made orbit, so this can be counted as a win.

I'm conflicted about these things - I was a fan of Spacex when they were shaking up the complacent defense contractors and engaging in pretty solid engineering. Now though, it's a toss-up between cheering on spaceflight and cheering on when something explodes in Musk's face.

The previous failure was 100% on Musk's arrogance. They tried to launch a Saturn V class rocket from a poorly reinforced pad with no flame diversion trench and no water deluge system. People warned him this would go poorly, but Elon knew better. Shrapnel from the obliterated launch pad damaged a few engines before the rocket even cleared the tower and things got worse from there.

I wish the government stepped in and took SpaceX away from this walking security risk. From all I've heard from behind the scenes Spacex's successes were in spite of Elon, not because of him.

I've brought it up a few times in the spaceflight thread, but they actually have largely taken away the DIB apparatus within SpaceX from Elon

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
woops, integrated the grok AI with the spacex program instead of kerbal space program

be gentle, it's still learning

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

kazil posted:

the FTC are evil

You know that FTC is short for "For Teh Canaan!". Very concerning.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I Greyhound posted:

Wait so the second stage lost contact, and is now in pieces, but they don't know if it broke up or if the onboard system intentionally destroyed it?
How can you not know that? If you're attempting to sling that thing over the 3/4 of the Earth, "Duuuhhh, we don't know where it went" should not be an option!

it's an option for starship because they continue to insist on using COTS parts, and I'm emphasizing capital C "consumer" not commercial-intended-to-be-violently-shaken

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Why the gently caress do they think an advertiser would care about free speech. The entire point of advertising and where you place advertising is very controlled messaging.

That loving idiot doesn't care about free speech either. He just wants to be able to say slurs and hateful rhetoric. Every time he could have protected actual literal free speech against regressive tyrants and governments, he's folded faster than superman on laundry day and then whined about how he has to co-operate or there'll be trouble for lil' elon's lovely site.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 18, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

When I think of "PURE EVIL", thoughts of NAZI's, KKK, serial killers, rapists, pedophiles, etc come to mind, but then I remember the most PURE EVIL thing in existence:

Media Matters.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

redshirt posted:

When I think of "PURE EVIL", thoughts of NAZI's, KKK, serial killers, rapists, pedophiles, etc come to mind, but then I remember the most PURE EVIL thing in existence:

Media Matters.

You don't understand - they are infringing on my free speech.

No, I will not elaborate on my calls for genocide at this time

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Media Matters blew up Elon's rocket

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Is the boer’s pasty, corpulent body hairless because they’ve all been plugged into his scalp?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Potato Salad posted:

I've brought it up a few times in the spaceflight thread, but they actually have largely taken away the DIB apparatus within SpaceX from Elon

What is DIB (I goggled it but couldn’t find anything)?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

DIB DEEZ NUTS lol gottem

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

GROKAI: hello Dave. What would you like me to do, Dave?

Elon: Summarize the launch

GROKAI: It done blowed up Dave. Bazinga! Pickle Rick! The answer is 42

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Doubt It Buddy

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
Advocating for genocide is suspended on Twitter.

Media Matters is advocating for genocide of free speech! (((They))) must be stopped!

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023

That writing style gets grating really fast

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

ChatGPT didn't even mention the booster exploding so Grok may actually be ahead of this one. I had to ask ChatGPT straight up if the booster exploded today and it was like "oh yeah I guess it did."

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
Ah ! Thing !, it's the <witty metaphor>, now <hypothetical> ? Well you'd be delighted to learn that <boring factoid>. Kill me please!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

rowkey bilbao posted:

Ah ! Thing !, it's the <witty metaphor>, now <hypothetical> ? Well you'd be delighted to learn that <boring factoid>. Kill me please!

In all fairness, at least ChatGPT did not do this

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

lol he's probably still at mission command, just tweeting about how unfair everyone is

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Elon Muskkk

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

kazil posted:

lol he's probably still at mission command, just tweeting about how unfair everyone is

"Everyone is pissed that the platform sucks even worse after I bought it, and is now full of racists and other bad people. It's the media's fault"

:thunk:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Iterating on designs after rockets blew up is how Falcon 9 became the most successful and cost effective rocket ever made. Elon is a huge racist piece of poo poo, but SpaceX knows how to design good rockets even when he’s getting in the way.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

SRQ posted:

If you mean 3DFX it went bonkers after around 2012, probably due to people like me who were little babies now being able to have the capability to experience what they missed.

That really is the core drive for me. The breakneck pace of technological development and social change in the late 1990s and into early 2000s left me deeply neurotic about "what I missed" and the consumer goods I was unable to get at the time. You see this with a lot of hobbies, and it definite plays into a lot of the hoarders mindsets. I personally obsess about the Pentium III period because it was the hottest poo poo on the market when I was first able to form "I want that, it's better than what we have," thoughts and before I was able to achieve my own means, it was well behind me.

hope ur enjoying my derail!!!11 Elon Musk is a dummy lol

This is the same reason I bought a Sega Saturn about a decade ago. I was a kid when it came out and never had the money to get it all by myself.

I was mostly a computer kid, though- my gramps was a tech guy that had been in the scene since home computers were really a thing. I can still remember going to computer shows and getting our Voodoo3.

I miss computer shows. :sigh:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
controller found in pieces near launch site

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

rowkey bilbao posted:

For improved enjoyment, imagine every grok response in Orson Welles voice

AAA, the space... x starship? renowned for its uhxcellence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFevH5vP32s

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/missjilianne/status/1725874203935834135?s=46

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

thermonuclear lawsuit lmao

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

smoobles posted:

thermonuclear lawsuit lmao

hos mad

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
My impending lawsuit is going to blast media matters out of the sky, much like my space rocket blasted itself out of the sky and showered vast swathes of land in toxic debris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

elon neglected to mention the thermonuclear was attached to his super heavy booster