Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Star posted:

I just had the UK force me to add an IG to my government. Never seen that before, was it added with 1.5?

They definitely can now make you change laws with certain interactions, didn't know IGs was also on the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Vagabong posted:

Does anyone know how tough a Paraguyan campaign would be? I want to check out the new content, but I've not played with the new military mechanics yet, so its unclear how much of an uphill battle it would be.

It seems like it'd be pretty hard, only the UK has an interest in the area so if Argentina or Brazil want to eat you, you're toast.

I'd recommend Brazil or, if you're not interested in them, Chile or Argentina. They have some colonisation options and some wars with Peru-Bolivia and the new mechanics with having to create a national identity from scratch added in the patch, are also available to them.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
God, it just ain't working. I got coal at +33% price, I got the coal mine at 11.3 productivity, the number is even colored green, and they still can't pull peasants out of subsistence farms. I can't flood the market with grain through trade, mass-building farms didn't work (especially since they run into their own staffing issues), doing both doesn't work because they end up stepping on each other's toes.

Maybe I should just keep iterating on the industrial good loop, leave a university in there, and hope they migrate or something, I dunno. Or maybe just wait for 1.5.10, they did acknowledge something's off with job satisfaction in any case

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Star posted:

I just had the UK force me to add an IG to my government. Never seen that before, was it added with 1.5?

Did you owe them an obligation? That interaction has been in for a while, but they’re much more likely to try to force you into their custom union with it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I think on top of the actual historical reasons for it being difficult to pull peasants off their farms, there might be a bug where they're calculating their job satisfaction based on a nominal wage that their "building" only pays them part of

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Has anyone else had problems with wars not ending when the other side’s at -100 war support and fully occupied? I had that in a civil war as Persia and I’m getting it conquering Sindh as Sikh Empire. In the Persia war Russia joined against me and it only ended when they gave up, they weren’t asking for a war goal. In the Sikh one Britain’s joined against me for nothing and it feels like I’m going to be stuck waiting them out too.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Yeah I have run into really slow degradation of war support if a country has a big brother in the war, even if that country is completely overrun.

I'm not sure if it blocks anything; the main time this came up i accidentally accepted a white peace request while i was waiting for war support to tick down. It was iron man so i chose rage quitting over honor.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

It’s not even slow, they’re sitting at -100 with -20 per month for years without auto capitulating. The war just ended when Britain gave up even though they were non negotiating :shrug:

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Kagon posted:

Did you owe them an obligation? That interaction has been in for a while, but they’re much more likely to try to force you into their custom union with it.

Hmm I might have. I don’t remember them receiving one but maybe they bankrolled me or something.

Anyhow, I am doing a Serbia into Yugoslavia game, which has been challenging but fun. You start as an OPM and are boxed in by Austria and the Ottomans so you need to expand carefully and smart and play the GPs versus each others. It has also been a good opportunity to try out small but high quality armies and so far it’s been working out. I declared war versus Romania with the goal to grab Wallachia and I knew that Russia would side with them as they had a defensive pact. But I also knew that they both ran peasant levies so I had been focusing my military techs to have a strong advantage in off/def numbers and killing power. So I went on the defensive for almost two years with my army led by the best defensive generals, racking up a 3:1 kill rate and forcing Russia to peace out. Then I easily crushed Romania and took the province.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Its this, or at least its two iirc. Basically if you do /every/ positive you can abolish slavery and make one whoopsy. I don't think you even have any margin if you cant marginalize the landowners+armed forces in time

Yep in my effort to make a functioning country I have also made more than my allotted one error and now need Pedro to live to 95 so I can complete the naval thing. They should consider rethinking how this works!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Is there some issue with naval landings, I had Russia try to naval land on me to open up a new front (cool and smart AI play!) but the naval landing never actually generated any battles and the Russian navy eventually left like a year later. As far as I understand it their troops should have started fighting mine to make a beachhead.

Also I had the extremely weird situation of having my entire selection of IGs being lead by four positivists, a reformer, and whoever the head of the religious group was. The first time I've ever passed a law which was approved by five different IGs

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

ro5s posted:

It’s not even slow, they’re sitting at -100 with -20 per month for years without auto capitulating. The war just ended when Britain gave up even though they were non negotiating :shrug:

its a display error when a country becomes a protectorate in return for a big brother being called in to protect them -- its treated like a bad mix of both, where you have to cap out the leader but they dont get the extra ticking they'd normally have. I'm guessing the solution here is sort of like how you'd cheese recognition plays and add some lovely islands to your wargoal against the big ones and occupy that

tl;dr brits were the negotiating partner

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

Is there some issue with naval landings, I had Russia try to naval land on me to open up a new front (cool and smart AI play!) but the naval landing never actually generated any battles and the Russian navy eventually left like a year later. As far as I understand it their troops should have started fighting mine to make a beachhead.

Paradox confirmed there’s a couple bugs with naval invasions where defeated fleets can redeploy almost immediately before fully repairing or recovering manpower. This might be what was blocking the invasion.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

toasterwarrior posted:

God, it just ain't working. I got coal at +33% price, I got the coal mine at 11.3 productivity, the number is even colored green, and they still can't pull peasants out of subsistence farms. I can't flood the market with grain through trade, mass-building farms didn't work (especially since they run into their own staffing issues), doing both doesn't work because they end up stepping on each other's toes.

Maybe I should just keep iterating on the industrial good loop, leave a university in there, and hope they migrate or something, I dunno. Or maybe just wait for 1.5.10, they did acknowledge something's off with job satisfaction in any case

New player here, but I was coming to the thread for help but it seems like I might be having the same problem? Except mine is with a literal goldmine.

What was throwing me off is I started a Japan game to try to test building an economy in isolation and the gold rush went fine, then I ended up restarting to try some things differently and this time no one would leave their subsistence farms for the massively profitable gold mine no matter what I did.

Since I'm a new player I honestly don't know if it's a bug or if I'm doing something wrong.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

I'm having the same issue with a bunch of resource industries not being able to hire. I have a lead shortage in my market, but my lead mines just can't seem to hire people.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
lol was coming in here to check if anyone was having trouble to get their buildings going with a workforce *queue 5 posters posting*

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
From an external QA person on the paradox forums

quote:

Here is my take-away from the 1.5 job satisfaction changes:
(1) Don't be fooled by the number of job seekers - it is pretty inconsequential for deciding where you build what. All it tells you that there are pops that aren't getting paid as much as they would want. The number that is important is the amount of unemployed pops, and to a lesser extend the amount of peasants.
(2) Job satisfaction makes it harder to fill buildings during a labour/qualification shortage. Pops that are employed are much less likely to switch to new buildings, especially if those are not profitable. Setting subsidies can help with kickstarting the building to update profit calculations, but it is not always a surefire solution.
(3) Low-pop states will struggle with high-strate qualification jobs, particularly capitalists. This can block new buildings from employing. Low literacy will make this much worse.
(4) Health Care and Workplace Safety are VERY important with the new birth/deathrate changes. Small and medium countries should focus on getting these established asap to make sure they get enough workers for their mid & late game economy. It is also very much advisable to spread out some universities to improve qualification %, and long-term boosting literacy will help as well - at the risk of causing political instability if the economy is not industrializing fast enough to keep up with expected SOL increases.
(5) For small nations it seems to be best to focus on developing high-pop states first, and to import goods that can only be produced at low productivity. Exporting secondary surplus goods (e.g. Sugar from Farms that run Orchards) can also help to stabilize productivity and bump wages.
(6) Once a state is reaching a labour shortage from low unemployment, wages tend to rise quickly. This boosts SOL & local demand, which is a boon for the local industries. But it does also make it harder for low-profitiability factories to hire.
(7) It's usually a good idea to establish full supply chains in every state and let the free market decide which buildings are profitable enough to hire. Just be careful with government funded ones, since they will draw people away from the job market and shift local wage dynamics.
(8) If push comes to shove, manual deletion (and later reconstruction) of buildings can help to shift workers around.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

That's one way to make land enclosures to force peasants off their farms required!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

The point about productivity is a good one, if you have peasants turning their noses up at a job try exporting the output goods to push up the price - even if you'd rather actually keep the price low for market reasons.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
This really explains why it's so much harder for me this time. I started up an independent California run, and have had a miserable time trying to get anyone to go from subsistence farms to pretty much any of my industries. The iron-lumber-tools loop just won't fire because none of the raw resource industries can hire employees.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
To be fair, peasants should probably not want to work in mines or lumber industries if they have the choice unless those jobs are paying much higher wages than being a peasant.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

RabidWeasel posted:

The point about productivity is a good one, if you have peasants turning their noses up at a job try exporting the output goods to push up the price - even if you'd rather actually keep the price low for market reasons.

Price doesn't seem to factor into it. I couldn't get them to move from subsistence rice farms to a gold mine, and the gold mine was ridiculously profitable. It seems like if they have a job and have their minimum requirements met they won't shift jobs no matter what, even if it would be much better for them and even involve jumping up in strata.

The only thing I can think of is trying to drive the cost of their desired goods up so high they can't afford them on their current job, thought I haven't tested if that would work.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 18, 2023

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

This really explains why it's so much harder for me this time. I started up an independent California run, and have had a miserable time trying to get anyone to go from subsistence farms to pretty much any of my industries. The iron-lumber-tools loop just won't fire because none of the raw resource industries can hire employees.
California has so much arable land, all your immigrants are just going to disappear to set up homesteads in the lush Central Valley and you'll never see them again.

Sounds like a reasonable simulation and frustrating gameplay!

Have you tried subsidizing all your mines?

Bremen posted:

Price doesn't seem to factor into it. I couldn't get them to move from subsistence rice farms to a gold mine, and the gold mine was ridiculously profitable. It seems like if they have a job and have their minimum requirements met they won't shift jobs no matter what, even if it would be much better for them and even involve jumping up in strata.

The only thing I can think of is trying to drive the cost of their desired goods up so high they can't afford them on their current job, thought I haven't tested if that would work.
So, unless this is something introduced in a hot patch, it doesn't always happen. I played a very productive game in Bolivia where industries sucked up peasants just like you'd always expect. I wonder what else is going on in your case.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Bremen posted:

IIRC gold as a good sells at base cost of 100 all the time, but gold mines only generate half the output of other mines, so compared to something like an iron mine at +50% cost it's not the best paying job out there. The extra minting value generated by gold is, as far as I'm aware, totally independent of its "goods value"

E: Since a lot of people are having problems with this the base cause of not being able to turn subsistence farmers into other jobs is job satisfaction. Subsistence farming has high job satisfaction because it provides them with a shitload of goods in addition to the stuff they actually produce to market (IIRC on the tooltip it's called something like "subsistence income").

There's fundamentally 3 different ways to get around this issue:

1. Build so many farm / pasture buildings in a state that there is zero arable land. No space for subsistence farms, peasants have to go work in the fields / factories.

2. Educate the peasants enough that they are smart enough to be working a middle class job, they will then be able to be recruited to a middle class position even if it lowers their SOL - the desire to work a more qualified job can outweigh pay / SOL

3. Make the jobs on offer more attractive relative to subsistence farming. This means driving down the value of the goods produced by subsistence farms (mostly grain, but they also make some furniture and clothes and stuff) and driving up the value of whatever's being made in your factories. This approach seems difficult because you need to get pops to actually work in your farms / factories in the first place, but it could theoretically work, in particular with rice farms.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 18, 2023

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

RabidWeasel posted:

IIRC gold as a good sells at base cost of 100 all the time, but gold mines only generate half the output of other mines, so compared to something like an iron mine at +50% cost it's not the best paying job out there. The extra minting value generated by gold is, as far as I'm aware, totally independent of its "goods value"

E: Since a lot of people are having problems with this the base cause of not being able to turn subsistence farmers into other jobs is job satisfaction. Subsistence farming has high job satisfaction because it provides them with a shitload of goods in addition to the stuff they actually produce to market (IIRC on the tooltip it's called something like "subsistence income").

There's fundamentally 3 different ways to get around this issue:

1. Build so many farm / pasture buildings in a state that there is zero arable land. No space for subsistence farms, peasants have to go work in the fields / factories.

2. Educate the peasants enough that they are smart enough to be working a middle class job, they will then be able to be recruited to a middle class position even if it lowers their SOL - the desire to work a more qualified job can outweigh pay / SOL

3. Make the jobs on offer more attractive relative to subsistence farming. This means driving down the value of the goods produced by subsistence farms (mostly grain, but they also make some furniture and clothes and stuff) and driving up the value of whatever's being made in your factories. This approach seems difficult because you need to get pops to actually work in your farms / factories in the first place, but it could theoretically work, in particular with rice farms.

That might be how it's supposed to work but I definitely don't think the gold mine not being profitable enough is the problem here:

Also as you can see in my previous screenshot a number of the subsistence farmers are educated enough to become shopkeepers, which is a middle strata job, but they're still refusing too because they're satisfied as subsistence farmers :shrug:

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
I'm not having any problems with getting people to move up in jobs as France, but I am seeing a bug where every time someone with a war goal peaces out the war is still on but all armies leave the fronts they're on and head back to HQ, regardless of whether that was a front created by the country that peaced out.

"Ah Schaumberg-Lippe gave up, let's all abandon the Prussian border folks."

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Bremen posted:

That might be how it's supposed to work but I definitely don't think the gold mine not being profitable enough is the problem here:

Also as you can see in my previous screenshot a number of the subsistence farmers are educated enough to become shopkeepers, which is a middle strata job, but they're still refusing too because they're satisfied as subsistence farmers :shrug:

The only other thing I can think of which might cause weird results is that buildings can only hire in fixed chunks of employment and if you can't fulfil everything they won't hire at all, so you might just not be able to hit the required number of pops (IIRC it's either 5 or 10%)

Out of curiosity if you drill down into the pop detail for the subsistence farmers in that state what does it say about their job satisfaction? Go to the subsistence farm, click workforce, scroll down to where there's peasants, click the dropdown tab and then mouse over the pop itself; there will be a tooltip about job satisfaction with a number which if you hover over it will show another tooltip indicating how the pops feel about their situation.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical

Bremen posted:

Check the workforce of the mine, I have a similar issue with a rubber plantation, where despite being profitable it refuses to hire. Turns out everyone is getting paid an absurd amount of money, but the aristocrats and clergy are starving anyway. Market access is 100%, and there isn't anything strange I can tell with local prices.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

RabidWeasel posted:

Hypothetically this would be one way to make farm automation more valuable - build highly automated plantations, divest yourself of the need for hordes of cheap peasants while displacing them and suck the remainder off into factories.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah okay I've never had issues with gold mines not being filled out but the fact that it can happen is hosed. Are you using production methods that make it require inputs like coal or something

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tomn posted:

Hypothetically this would be one way to make farm automation more valuable - build highly automated plantations, divest yourself of the need for hordes of cheap peasants while displacing them and suck the remainder off into factories.

this is the primary use case for it yeah. you don't really want lots of people on plantations in your imperial core at least, and automation makes enclosure much more effective

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Tomn posted:

The main reason why this doesn't usually become a thing is that you're generally either running out of pop (and therefore don't have spare people to throw at growing corn, even if it's super efficient) or you have too much pop and you want them to keep working.

p.s. I don't know when they added Pakistan as a formable but I guess I have a good reason to do an Afghanistan game now

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Barono posted:

Check the workforce of the mine, I have a similar issue with a rubber plantation, where despite being profitable it refuses to hire. Turns out everyone is getting paid an absurd amount of money, but the aristocrats and clergy are starving anyway. Market access is 100%, and there isn't anything strange I can tell with local prices.

Lol laborers living high on the hog enjoying porcelain and servants while the aristocrats are starving on grain and fish.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Arrath posted:

Lol laborers living high on the hog enjoying porcelain and servants while the aristocrats are starving on grain and fish.

Though the aristocrats have much higher income, so presumably they have a lot of very nice candles.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Barono posted:

That is really, really weird. The average annual wage for aristos should be going a lot further than it is, and it can't be a local pricing thing because they all live in the same place. Try cracking open one of the aristo pops to really dig deep on where their money is going and why?

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Bremen posted:

New player here, but I was coming to the thread for help but it seems like I might be having the same problem? Except mine is with a literal goldmine.

What was throwing me off is I started a Japan game to try to test building an economy in isolation and the gold rush went fine, then I ended up restarting to try some things differently and this time no one would leave their subsistence farms for the massively profitable gold mine no matter what I did.

Since I'm a new player I honestly don't know if it's a bug or if I'm doing something wrong.

I think it's just a bug, the job satisfaction system is new and still needs some tweaking. I had exactly the same problem in my Japan run.

I think the best way to handle it in general right now is to just wait for it to resolve on its own, as the problem will naturally clear up as your population grows and becomes more educated. Still sucks for situations like Hokkaido where it's a low-pop state with gold mines in a country where internal migration is banned, especially since Japan could really use those gold mines right at the start.

I tried forcing the peasants off the farms with enclosure and it worked horribly. All those extra farming buildings pushed Hokkaido well over its infrastructure limit and tanked its market access. Building infrastructure buildings to try to resolve that just meant the island's entire population was busy working at infrastructure buildings instead of gold mines. The island's population is just too low to try anything with.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Barono posted:

This is how the big canals behave if you've gone council republic, because there is straight-up no staffing PM that doesn't have upper strata involved, except that's just straight the upper strata actually earning nothing because they're supposed to skim profit/dividend but those have been redistributed.

Are you running taxes 5 + graduated taxes, maybe? That would give them the money and then take it right back from them.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah enclosure isn't actually viable as a tactic, you'll absolutely destroy your infrastructure and making up for it is going to be astronomically expensive

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Barono posted:

There's only 3 employees at the mine, they have a standard of living of 24 compared to 10 for the subsistence farmers, but a job satisfaction of 35 compared to ~50 for the subsistence farmers due to a massively larger penalty due to being qualified for a higher strata. Which actually now has me wondering if the problem is the first 3 employees for the gold mine just happened to be overqualified and thus sent the average satisfaction of the job into the ground, so now the game is looking at it and saying "the subsistence farmers have a higher satisfaction than the gold miners, so they won't shift jobs". That would explain why in my first game the gold mines happily filled up and it's only the second one where a wrench got thrown in the works.

RabidWeasel posted:

The only other thing I can think of which might cause weird results is that buildings can only hire in fixed chunks of employment and if you can't fulfil everything they won't hire at all, so you might just not be able to hit the required number of pops (IIRC it's either 5 or 10%)

Out of curiosity if you drill down into the pop detail for the subsistence farmers in that state what does it say about their job satisfaction? Go to the subsistence farm, click workforce, scroll down to where there's peasants, click the dropdown tab and then mouse over the pop itself; there will be a tooltip about job satisfaction with a number which if you hover over it will show another tooltip indicating how the pops feel about their situation.

Job satisfaction for the peasants at the subsistence farms is between 47 and 52 depending on culture group.

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah okay I've never had issues with gold mines not being filled out but the fact that it can happen is hosed. Are you using production methods that make it require inputs like coal or something

Nope, nothing like that.

Vizuyos posted:

I think it's just a bug, the job satisfaction system is new and still needs some tweaking. I had exactly the same problem in my Japan run.

I think the best way to handle it in general right now is to just wait for it to resolve on its own, as the problem will naturally clear up as your population grows and becomes more educated. Still sucks for situations like Hokkaido where it's a low-pop state with gold mines in a country where internal migration is banned, especially since Japan could really use those gold mines right at the start.

I tried forcing the peasants off the farms with enclosure and it worked horribly. All those extra farming buildings pushed Hokkaido well over its infrastructure limit and tanked its market access. Building infrastructure buildings to try to resolve that just meant the island's entire population was busy working at infrastructure buildings instead of gold mines. The island's population is just too low to try anything with.

I'm kind of suspecting this myself. Which is annoying since I just signed up to try it on the free weekend and this really isn't convincing me to buy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a long term Paradox fan and I actually love their development cycle, but doing a free weekend at the same time as a major patch release introducing hard to deal with bugs isn't something I'd recommend for it.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical

Mandoric posted:

This is how the big canals behave if you've gone council republic, because there is straight-up no staffing PM that doesn't have upper strata involved, except that's just straight the upper strata actually earning nothing because they're supposed to skim profit/dividend but those have been redistributed.

Are you running taxes 5 + graduated taxes, maybe? That would give them the money and then take it right back from them.

nope, still on per-capita taxation, Other buildings in the state are working normally. I did check around a bit and found a munitions plant in a different state with starving capitalists, although they had a sane wage. Maybe it's two different bugs?

I also have every interest group trying to clown car into the Republican party (except the marginalized southern planters and unions), but that might just be all the leader ideologies factoring in, I have had other parties form.