Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Eh, it's simplifying to say he's Superman. I think he has much more in common with Miracleman.

His origin is a mess and it's been all over the place. The basic gist is the Sentry was a hero who was introduced as a lost character in Marvel history in a cool meta bit. About how he was actually created much earlier than before and was a missing part of Marvel. He's got the power of a billion exploding suns, so he does fit the Superman template as far as powers go. His main antagonist was the Void. It's eventually revealed that the Sentry and Void are two parts of the same person, and for each good thing the Sentry does, the Void does a bad thing.

The alter ego is mentally ill, though how much of that is because of the powers or because that's just who he is is another messy thing.

So Sentry/Void has been a hero and villain and everything in-between.

Though if I were to guess, I think for the movie they would stick with an ordinary guy getting tremendous power and then losing control of it. They have to be careful to not walk the same path Ikaris did in the Eternals movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

They introduced him as a retcon. He was apparently around all the time but to stop The Void, which is a part of him from threatening Earth, he had to erase everyone's memories of him. He's basically Superman but with mental illness issues

Yeah, the gimmick was that he "actually" has existed since the 60s so he's introduced with as much history as any other classic character. So a proper movie version of him would have flashbacks done in different comic book movie styles from the past.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I can't see them doing all that in Thunderbolts though. Maybe if he's not the main antagonist and gets introduced near the end or something, but all the original miniseries stuff would need to be it's own thing

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

FlamingLiberal posted:

I just find it odd that they are introducing Sentry in that movie, of all movies

It does make me think of the time the Thunderbolts took on King Hyperion and Juggernaut grabbed him by the cape while saying, "Yeah, I spit in the wind too."

Admiral Joeslop posted:

No really someone give me the low down on Sentry

He once grabbed Carnage, slammed him through several floors of a prison facility, flew him into space, and tore him in half. Marvel kept Carnage dead for about seven years after that, which is impressive.

But to add to what's been said, Sentry was introduced in a one-off miniseries about him being a "lost" hero who made everyone forget about him because he's Fight Club Superman and if he's off the table, then so is his villain alter-ego the Void. This didn't take and he joined the Avengers when the team was restructuring. He was by far the most powerful member, but his mental issues make him sometimes afraid to go help people. Civil War happened, causing Iron Man to lead a more fascist version of the Avengers with Sentry still a member. Then after Secret Invasion happened, Norman Osborn had wormed his way into being the new Nick Fury. He ran an even MORE fascist version of the Avengers and Sentry was still part of it.

As Osborn had struggles with split personalities, he befriended Sentry in order to help him with his issues. Sentry became an enforcer of sorts for him, like if Superman was Lex Luthor's bodyguard. Over time, Osborn's authority role caused him to lose grasp on his sanity and he ended up taking Sentry with him. He started appealing to the Void to do his bidding, as he was more ruthless in his actions. This came to a head when Osborn's Avengers invaded New Asgard and all the other heroes banded together to stop them. Sentry lost complete control and the Void was unleashed as this massive Marvel end boss.

The way they defeated him was rather dumb (especially after all the years of build-up) and Thor killed him. Since then, Sentry's been resurrected and killed a few times over.

So in the movie he could be a target, or he could easily be Valentina's ace in the hole who gets out of hand in this movie or down the line.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The problem with the Sentry is that his original mini is all killer no filler but each subsequent appearance has been nowhere near as good, even when it was from the original creator.

Edit: Bendis especially always seemed to have a shaky grasp on who the Sentry was as a character basically using none of his previous characterization when he brought him back.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!
Are we sure he’s playing as the sentry? There a lot of characters that have blue and yellow including Hyperion.

He could be playing cyclops for all we know

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The best Sentry bit was during Siege and he goes nuts and tares Ares in half

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Was it Sentry who was blown up (apparently getting better) to kick the whole Civil War thing off in the comics, or have I gotten plots mixed up?

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Bruceski posted:

Was it Sentry who was blown up (apparently getting better) to kick the whole Civil War thing off in the comics, or have I gotten plots mixed up?

That was Nitro. Namorita punched him into a school bus so he exploded.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
All I know about him was that there’s an awesome panel where he rips his own face off and they should put that in the movie.

:colbert:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Saw The Marvels last night and was pretty disappointed. Was excited because the thread has a pretty high opinion of it but it was just... boring? I'd be fine with a movie that was exciting but disjointed or silly but I just didn't care the whole time. And I almost don't want to say it because it aligns me with the worst people on the internet but Larson is not the actress to headline these movies. There's no charisma there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The most recent Sentry action figure came with gun-holding hands for some reason that I am choosing to believe is foreshadowing

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Endless Mike posted:

The most recent Sentry action figure came with gun-holding hands for some reason that I am choosing to believe is foreshadowing

Lets hope

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The power of one million exploding suns, and 2 desert eagles

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

He's going to power them up like iron fist.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

What, is he The Hood now

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I can't stop laughing at that figure. Just. WHY.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Shindragon posted:

I can't stop laughing at that figure. Just. WHY.

Sentry believes in his second amendment rights

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

:laffo:

The only thing that can stop The Void is a good guy with a gun.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Finally saw Marvels, it's gets an A+ for the absolutely amazing usage of Memories.

Timeline question though since it reminded me, when did the Statue of Liberty get messed up? Or did they just add the shield as a memorial?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

One of the better Sentry moments is when the Super Adaptoid crashes Luke Cage and Jessica Jones wedding. It’s super psyched at first to sample the Sentry’s power, but then the Sentry points out that if it has his power it also has the Void, and Super Adaptoid doesn’t have the discipline to contain it.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Opopanax posted:

Finally saw Marvels, it's gets an A+ for the absolutely amazing usage of Memories.

Timeline question though since it reminded me, when did the Statue of Liberty get messed up? Or did they just add the shield as a memorial?

The green goblin hosed it up

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

maybeadracula posted:

The green goblin hosed it up

That's what I was trying to remember, were they rebuilding it in NWH or just adding?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Jesus, The Marvels is tracking for a $10 million (if that) weekend.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

J33uk posted:

Jesus, The Marvels is tracking for a $10 million (if that) weekend.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
damnit, I was hoping word of mouth would have kept it steady

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’s weird people have gone from “You’ve got to watch it all! The MCU is all connected!” to that now being a reason people aren’t watching it. “You’ve got to watch 2 other tv series and a movie to understand it.” Like, ok? That was always the point of the MCU?? :confused:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

It’s weird people have gone from “You’ve got to watch it all! The MCU is all connected!” to that now being a reason people aren’t watching it. “You’ve got to watch 2 other tv series and a movie to understand it.” Like, ok? That was always the point of the MCU?? :confused:

I can't speak for anyone else but for me the breaking point was the television shows where it just killed any interest for me. I don't subscribe to D+ or want to subscribe to Disney+ and that already drains the interest for me. Marvel films were kind of fun as an excuse to go out to the movies and watch something with friends but the television shows were just a mental step too far for me. I have the same problem with Star Wars where everything being tied into like 6 seasons of a cartoon show I thought looked hideous just means I don't caaaaaare.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I have to admit, I haven't seen either Ms. Marvel or Wandavision and maybe it's because I'm a loving nerd who hangs out here but I didn't have any trouble with those parts of the movie.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I was the guy who watched every Marvel and Star Wars movie and TV show pretty much immediately when they came out but I think the one two punch of Secret Invasion and Ahsoka just completely killed things for me. That was the critical overload threshold, and so Loki S2 is sitting on D+ unwatched just out of apathy even though I loved season 1. I loved The Marvel and I will almost certainly go see anything that's in theaters, but 6-8 hours of something that's pretty clearly them not sending their A-game on well . . . meh.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Cael posted:

I was the guy who watched every Marvel and Star Wars movie and TV show pretty much immediately when they came out but I think the one two punch of Secret Invasion and Ahsoka just completely killed things for me. That was the critical overload threshold, and so Loki S2 is sitting on D+ unwatched just out of apathy even though I loved season 1. I loved The Marvel and I will almost certainly go see anything that's in theaters, but 6-8 hours of something that's pretty clearly them not sending their A-game on well . . . meh.

Loki season 2 has some slow spots but has an amazing final two episodes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Just got back from The Marvels, and I laughed that the solution to saving a planet’s colony of Skrulls is that they go back to Earth and New Asgard. Which considering the US President in Secret Invasion declared war on all aliens and Skrulls is very funny

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just got back from The Marvels, and I laughed that the solution to saving a planet’s colony of Skrulls is that they go back to Earth and New Asgard. Which considering the US President in Secret Invasion declared war on all aliens and Skrulls is very funny

We don't actually know that's where they go. All Carol says is that Val will find them someplace safe, and considering she has access to the Bifrost again that doesn't have to mean Earth

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

This happens before Secret Invasion.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It’s still darkly funny.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Aphrodite posted:

This happens before Secret Invasion.

I've heard that mentioned but I don't know if I buy that, I don't see this Fury turning into SI Fury

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I just try and pretend SI doesn’t exist

It sure seems like the films don’t either

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Opopanax posted:

I've heard that mentioned but I don't know if I buy that, I don't see this Fury turning into SI Fury

It's not any more believable the other way around.

SI Fury wasn't Fury, he was just a stock Jackson character.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Cael posted:

For me it was Obi-Wan. That show suckkkkeeeddd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Loki S2 is good. It’s worth a watch and only 6 episodes