Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

quote:

I’m curious who cares enough about accuracy in Scott Pilgrim canon but not enough to check in on the readily available information the creator was providing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

What has ever made nerds happy? Rogue One?

No, people hated Rouge One when it came out. Lot of people still do. Panderous mush schlock like Spider-Man: No Way Home and Star Trek: Picard Season 3 are sort of the only things I've seen lately that have been marked Safe For Nerd Brains because they don't challenge nerds in any way and are focused on fixing decades old cinema sins that have been owies on nerd brains since they were children at the expense of telling actual stories. That's what nerds want.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

This is the first time I've heard of anyone liking Star Trek: Picard.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pachylad posted:

This is the first time I've heard of anyone liking Star Trek: Picard.

Season 3 and Season 3 only. A season of television purpose-built to make these two grumpy old men happy:

Bonus points: the one on the left is a white supremacist :eng101:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I thought goons like the rlm guys

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Impermanent posted:

Generally, yes, but they have scientifically proven Bad Star Trek Takes, and some goony gently caress made an entire season of TV trying to correct every bullet point criticism in the Plinkett reviews of the TNG movies that even Mike went "on second thought, these are awful" at and deleted them.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Also Jay has better taste.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

vuk83 posted:

Could it be they are thinking of the children? I think ep1 has ffn and everything multiple times.

I saw my sister today and she wanted to show me something she liked on Netflix. I saw this loving show in her recommendations. This is not something she would in anyway be interested in and has a 3 and 5 year old.

The algorithm is truly unknowable.

I also watched 4 episodes of Scott Pilgrim and this was not at all what I was expecting. Its still really good and the music choices in Ep. 4 are incredible.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes, Vegan=Saiyan is still consistent across all incarnations of Scott Pilgrim.

loving hell I just got that.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Just finished Scott Pilgrim Takes Off and really loved it. The animation was top notch and the actors really brought some new stuff to it. The evil exes especially were hamming it up as much as possible. Chris Evans and Brandon Routh had me laughing quite a lot.

And yeah, it’s a much more mature story than the original, clearly informed by a couple decades more life experience. (These spoilers are vague but they could still really spoil some of the later stuff.) The only real villain is one’s own immaturity and selfishness. The “evil” exes get more fleshed out and are no longer just silly obstacles to overcome. Ramona becomes the main character of the show and it’s all the better for it. We actually get why she was so immediately drawn to Scott, and why she also needs to confront her insecurities.

Really did not expect “Scott Pilgrim Takes Off” to be such a literal title.

One thing I’m happy about is that they’re setting up for future seasons. I would’ve been perfectly happy if it had been a straightforward retelling of the comics, but instead we’re promised a whole interesting world with these characters that we’ll get to keep seeing.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Vandar posted:

Also hi the original Bubblegum Crisis is like my favorite anime ever so the music video in episode seven felt like it was pandering to me, directly, and having the song as the end credits theme there made it even better. :swoon:

I popped SO loving HARD for this moment after snickering through the virtual reality segment that my partner finally just sighed and said “I have no idea what any of this is referencing.”

(We both ended up loving the poo poo out of Takes Off though, because as much of a very specific point in time nerd O’Malley is the references have never been the actual jokes or story in Scott Pilgrim)

Caros
May 14, 2008

Pachylad posted:

I have no skin in the game but my understanding is that people said the advertising/trailers (apparently they all say 'the interviews don't count' lmao) promised 'a more faithful adaptation of the comics' whatever that means.

I went into this fully expecting a fairly by the numbers remake, which I was totally fine with since the movie never really got the chance to hit a lot of the emotional beats from volume 4 on.

I'm delighted with what we got, especially since I just finished a re read not that long ago, but I can see why people are peeved. I don't read interviews with creators so if I'm just going by what shows up on my YouTube feed for trailers, I'm going to (and did) think that it is a direct adaptation with some streaming and set piece changes.

I went back and looked and pretty much all the trailer footage is either episode 1 played straight, fast action cuts without context, or callback shots. In particular you have things like knives in her ninja costume (which is honestly a weird fanservice decision for the finale), Ramona and Scott fighting side by side with Ramona in her end of volume six outfit etc.

They knew what they were doing, and I'm all for the twist, but I can see someone who is really invested in the original being sad that it didn't get a full proper adaptation and feeling mislead by the advertising.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

RandomReader posted:

Maybe they should stop hiding broccoli in my brownies then :P Market what you're making instead of epically subverting my expectations, it's not a crazy ask.

But the title tells you what's gonna happen: he took off

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Loved how many subtle, out-of-nowhere references are in Scott Pilgrim. Quoting Southland Tales and MacGruber in the same episode is some genius brained poo poo. As for the whole "buhhhhh why didn't we get a shot-for-shot recreation??" - the original comic still exists, you can still read that. I don't see why More New Stuff is a bad thing

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I would definitely not recommend the Netflix series to anyone who had not read the comics or seen the film. It is definitely a sequel too the original story and not a side-story or anything

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Yeah, I think that although I'm supremely happy with the new version, marketing it the way they did might have been a mistake in the long run

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just finished. Really really satisfying show, loved the story they decided to tell and it was very funny and pretty and the cast all crushed it!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Just finished. Really really satisfying show, loved the story they decided to tell and it was very funny and pretty and the cast all crushed it!

Also just finished it. Hope it gets a second season. I really want to see Gideon and Julie being the king and queen of poo poo mountain. "Honk honk, fuckers!"

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Finished it. It was good though not without its problem.

On the whole I really enjoyed it, the idea is fantastic, the animation is good, the VA is mostly good (Chris Evans is great), music is great.

The two main problems are shared with the film (maybe with the comic? I haven't read it in over a decade) imo. The "second act" (episodes 4-6) are kinda slow and don't serve that much of a purpose.

The second issue with is related to the first I didn't feel like dealing with each ex had a very big emotional core - in general we're shown a teensy bit of what happened and what Ramona did but it's mostly left for us to extrapolate. So Ramona tends to leave people quickly without giving them a real chance cuz she's afraid of.. something. Commitment, being vulnerable, whatever.

I feel like it didn't get enough of a focus. Like, what did we learn and how? How and why did Ramona change? What did Scott learn from his future self? Sure we can extrapolate it from what was shown but I feel like it should've been expanded on or be more explicit, because it ends up being a bit of a Rorschach test for whatever relationship issues you want to see depicted.

Using that ending song definitely put a smile on my face.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Honestly, the most amazing thing about SPTO is Tony Oliver getting extremely good, extremely anime dub performances out of all these actors. This cast really is something special (then again they were special in the movie too).

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

kefkafloyd posted:

Honestly, the most amazing thing about SPTO is Tony Oliver getting extremely good, extremely anime dub performances out of all these actors. This cast really is something special (then again they were special in the movie too).

Yeah, agreed. I certainly didnt expect to ever be impressed by Michael Cera.

Spoilers for finale i was also surprised to hear some of the deliveries from Will Forte as Old Scott and Even Older Scott

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

oh huh, didn't know Bryan Lee O'Malley was divorced after skimming through Scott Pilgrim Discourse (I'm a masochist w/e) :/ prolly explains a lot about the twist led to this hilarious exchange tho:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Impermanent posted:

god no

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I was really genuinely pleasantly surprised by SPTO. I was going to skip it because I just wasn't interested in seeing the story again but taking Scott off the board does loving wonders. It genuinely allows every character involved to be more of a character and allows Ramona to be a person. They're pretty good about reframing the story so it doesn't linger on stuff the original version covered and it comes down pretty firmly on the side of Ramona and Scott both being pretty poo poo people who need to both get better and that anything they have won't work if they don't actually help each other with their flaws.

It helps that the Evil Exes are loving hilarious when they are allowed to breathe. I'd gladly watch a show that was basically about them.

The original Scott Pilgrim has aged a lot and SPTO does wonders because it actually addresses that and acknowledges it instead of just trying to cling to the same story.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Both the movie and the show really do skip out on all the Volume 4/Volume 5 Scott backstory and character growth (minimal that it is, being Scott and all). And I wonder if the producers just hate Lisa and that whole arc. Specifically how she's used to frame how much of an unreliable narrator Scott is about his memories of his past and own lovely behaviors.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

It helps that the Evil Exes are loving hilarious when they are allowed to breathe. I'd gladly watch a show that was basically about them.

"Forgiveness is what you want? Well, I have something entirely different in mind...

FRIENDSHIP!"

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

FireWorksWell posted:

"Forgiveness is what you want? Well, I have something entirely different in mind...

FRIENDSHIP!"

"I was only gone for 90 minutes!"

I really love anytime we get the Evil Exes interacting with each other.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pachylad posted:

oh huh, didn't know Bryan Lee O'Malley was divorced after skimming through Scott Pilgrim Discourse (I'm a masochist w/e) :/ prolly explains a lot about the twist led to this hilarious exchange tho:

Friend (by which I mean the Reddit poster), Scott was always a completely useless idiot.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Rhonne posted:

"I was only gone for 90 minutes!"

I really love anytime we get the Evil Exes interacting with each other.

Yeah, one of the things I'd be most looking forward to if this gets a second season.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Friend (by which I mean the Reddit poster), Scott was always a completely useless idiot.

Yea, Scott being a dumbass? Perish the thought!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

I AM GRANDO posted:

What has ever made nerds happy? Rogue One?

Nerds want the status quo every single loving time. Batman never gets married, Spiderman never settles down, etc etc.

I saw so many complaints of its not one to one so I loving hate it, blah blah. And well they wanna stay in their small circle and not have anyone else in it either.

I already saw the complaints for the show and it's like.. did you read.. the comic at all.

edit: Yeah Scott always has been the useless idiot. Hell he's the worst goddamn person in the world. loving dating a minor/cheats on her with another troubled/damaged girl and does not learn his lesson until he literally loving bites it.

I feel some people saw the movie more than read the comic. Movie downplayed his terribliness a bit.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sockser posted:

I would definitely not recommend the Netflix series to anyone who had not read the comics or seen the film. It is definitely a sequel too the original story and not a side-story or anything

Oh so it’s not another adaptation of the comic then?

Speaking of, apparently they made another animated Scott Pilgrim short back in 2010, is that any good out of curiosity?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Shindragon posted:

Nerds want the status quo every single loving time. Batman never gets married, Spiderman never settles down, etc etc.

We absolutely want Batman to get married. There was almost a fandom riot when Tom King pulled a loving bait and switch on us a few years back.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, apparently they made another animated Scott Pilgrim short back in 2010, is that any good out of curiosity?

Yeah, it's baseline Scott Pilgrim, so pretty good but ultimately "whatever". It was done as a tie in to the movie and a proof of concept for an animated show starring Cera, Whitman, Schwartzman and Pill and adapting Scott, Kim and Lisa's high school flashback from Vol. 4--the part that's been basically excised from every SP adaptation otherwise.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

Nope. It's doing its own rather interesting thing though I think it's kind of a loose sequel to the comic/movie in some ways.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Yeah, the best way I can sum up Takes Off is that it's Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Rebuild of Evangelion. So if you at all familiar with that series of films and what they do for the original story and characters of Evangelion, Takes Off follows a similar path.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Neat, that just gives me more incentive to watch then. Were they able to get all the actors back for this out of curiosity?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Larryb posted:

Neat, that just gives me more incentive to watch then. Were they able to get all the actors back for this out of curiosity?

Every single one. and then some.

Including musical guests.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
No Beck though :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chris Evans does such a loving good job.