Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/NatalieRevolts/status/1725516864699117973

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

MightyBigMinus posted:

no thats a trivializing & catastrophizing dramatic narrative

true doom is knowing it'll probably only be a few hundred millions dead, a few billion immiserated, and drag on for a century

there will be no closure, only suffering

far worse than ww2 on both a total and relative basis, but none of the rich will see an iota of justice

thinking that collapse will actually bring a kind of closure/justice is simply an escape fantasy. organic systems are fantastic at long slow decay. the future is death but on a timescale that to us means... gotta go to work tomorrow.

It is 100% a fantasy along the lines of an alien arrival or a comet strike, in that the goal is to not have to show up to work the next day (as opposed to every previous day actively helping the destruction along with begrudging detachment)

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

The survival of humanity is dependent on phytoplankton continuing to produce oxygen. When you jam CO2 into the atmosphere it buffers into the surface ocean. Faster CO2 loading rates buffer more of it in the surface ocean before it has time to disperse and whoopsie you get more ocean acidification. The rates that we're doing this and causing acidification have no geological correlate in history. None. It's truly novel :)

Last I checked studies a while ago they were predicting we'd see consequences of this (regional undersaturation where carbonate or aragonite can't form) starting in the 2030s.

This planet has ways to annihilate every last mammal and we're toying around with finding out how.

I remember reading in ~2008 that by 2070 calciferous shelled organisms will no longer be able to form those shells due to the ocean being too acidic, amazing how much faster it's sped up

Dokapon Findom has issued a correction as of 16:01 on Nov 17, 2023

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Ocean acidification leading to a loss of atmospheric oxygen because a big chunk of plankton died sure seems like a human-scale killshot to me. Atmospheric O2 dropping even 10% would be disastrous for human health. If it goes below that, there's not going to be much productive activity if you pass out after half an hour of moderately hard work or can't climb a ladder without falling off.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

The survival of humanity is dependent on phytoplankton continuing to produce oxygen. When you jam CO2 into the atmosphere it buffers into the surface ocean. Faster CO2 loading rates buffer more of it in the surface ocean before it has time to disperse and whoopsie you get more ocean acidification. The rates that we're doing this and causing acidification have no geological correlate in history. None. It's truly novel :)

Last I checked studies a while ago they were predicting we'd see consequences of this (regional undersaturation where carbonate or aragonite can't form) starting in the 2030s.

This planet has ways to annihilate every last mammal and we're toying around with finding out how.

Do you have a link handy? Looks pretty epic 🤩

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Lol, heard studded tires on the bare hardtop yesterday. We def used to have a good amount of snow and ice by now, just fog and rain instead

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

BrotherJayne posted:

Lol, heard studded tires on the bare hardtop yesterday. We def used to have a good amount of snow and ice by now, just fog and rain instead

https://twitter.com/i/status/1157710722316537862

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

uguu posted:

This is what I found for the end Permian
https://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=103190
https://www.science.org/doi/full/10.1126/science.308.5720.337a

Twigand Berries has issued a correction as of 19:56 on Nov 17, 2023

bl1ndsight
Jun 29, 2023

by VideoGames

Xaris posted:

I had a longer post typed up but gave up. the one thing I will say is the future is very uncertain. there are two key facts:

1) there are still immense, utter fuckton, of fossil fuels left in the ground. much of that is in coal. Much of that directly in the imperial core.
2) the survival of most of humanity is entirely dependent on mega agriculture -- all powered by fossil fuels. As climate becomes more unreliable, most crop failures, less water (or too much water), we're going to need to expend even more energy than we do now to overproduce (brute force) through the calamities through continuing to expend humongous amounts of fossil fuels.

i see it as a bifurcation point: can we quickly build out as much coal and oil as possible while we still have the material and labor means to do and pump out thousands of coal plants quickly, or do we wait even too long to build out more fossil fuel generation that by the time fertilizers, easy water, cheap transportation, and immiserated labor runs out that it's too late to bring the gravy back?

i think things can continue the squeezing blood-from-stone grind of slow decline-collapse, if we can keep consuming immense amounts of energy and the infrastructure to extract and consume remains in place (and expands even). this means the imperial core will continue to exist longer solely because it owns significant energy required and keeps the periphery in check with force. But, if we fail to start consuming even more energy and planning around having to ramp it up, then it can go downwards very quickly.

with enough energy, you can brute force through disasters, it is a magic material, absolutely unparalleled. The amount of work a human can do in a day is around 600 watt-hr, but then here comes fossil fuels wherein a barrel has the energy potential of 700,000 watt-hours, or equivalent to a person working for 40 hours per week for over 4.5 years that requires no food, no healthcare, nothing, it's the perfect slave force-in-organic form. The average American person consumes 60 barrels a year, or the equivalent of having 70,000 slaves dedicated to their whims. the amount of "work" (in both the thermodynamic sense and the literal labor sense) you get out of fossil energy is unprecedented, with enough energy you can rebuild a flooded Miami many times over, you can raise it many times over, you can continue to building extravagant military industrial complexes to subjugate the colonies, and you can continue to keep producing insane amounts of burgers for the burgerpeople, hell you could build a loving dome over Phoenix and keep it air conditioned to 62 degrees during the 140f summer.

Capitalism is also a cybernetic system that optimizes to produce and consume as much as energy as possible. it's not going to give up energy. but it is capable of undermining itself: it will become fragile, redundancies taken out because it's not profitable, ignore and let the problems fall into dissarray and by the time it realizes it's too late, well..

we best start seeing more and more coal plants coming online writ large.... or else

while fossil fuels may be energetic miracles, they aren't magic. they still need human labor to turn them into useful work, and their ERoI steadily decreases over time. eventually they will cost more energy to harvest than they can deploy. capital will definitely squeeze all the blood from all the stones that it can but the limiting factor isn't the absolute amount of ff still in the ground it's the ERoI ratio (or possibly the amount of waste heat the biosphere can absorb before becoming venus). capital can't overcome forever.

sid smith's got an incredible series of lectures on collapse through an energy lens, comparing social metabolisms throughout history. tldr - there are no 100k year civilizations around for the same reason there are no million year ecosystems around: we just don't live in that kind of universe.

bl1ndsight has issued a correction as of 20:01 on Nov 17, 2023

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
can somebody who spells it 'fracing' answer a question about EROEI for me?
on a per-well basis, what is the primary contributor to reduced EROEI, an increase in the energy required to achieve production, a decrease in the average output of any given well, or some other factor/ combination of factors (eg., is the rate at which the typical well produces decreasing?)?
i guess i'm asking for an on-the-ground view of how the big picture as described in Tom Murphy's the energy trap plays out.
thanks

OIL PANIC has issued a correction as of 21:48 on Nov 17, 2023

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

OIL PANIC posted:

on a per-well basis, what is the primary contributor to reduced EROEI, an increase in the energy required to achieve production, a decrease in the average output of any given well, or some other factor/ combination of factors (eg., is the rate at which the typical well produces decreasing?)?
i guess i'm asking for an on-the-ground view of how the big picture as described in Tom Murphy's the energy trap plays out.
thanks

I believe the bore pressure on shale wells needs to be maintained as they peak very quickly compared to typical crude & condensate wells. The nature of the developing of the play means they have to continually frack the ground and move on to new sites to maintain production quotas, which in itself is massively energy intensive as well as capital. Reduction now in the US industry is as much to do with tapping all the low hanging fruit and also abiding investor calls for profits to be made after the haircuts they got throwing good money after bad. The Permian playing out as it has shows the Red Queen effect is far more pronounced for unconventional oil (on the order of a couple of years for some fields) compared to conventional supergiants like Ghawar in the KSA which are still going strong, albeit, less than at peak.

We can't not invest in this stuff, since it primarily powers our global civ. Yet, neither can we keep doing this, since it's literally killing the planet and every joule devoted to it is away from a less harmful alternative.

EDIT: I'm not on the ground on any of this, I just read a lot of what people in the biz see from years on TOD and Peak Oil Barrel. I'm sure you already know this stuff, though, so I guess my post was a good example of using energy inefficiently.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

A Taylor Swift fan died of heat exhaustion at the concert in Rio de Janeiro yesterday, where the heat index hit a record 58° C (137° F). The venue banned fans from bringing in outside water, and ran out of water for sale during the concert.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Chamale posted:

A Taylor Swift fan died of heat exhaustion at the concert in Rio de Janeiro yesterday, where the heat index hit a record 58° C (137° F). The venue banned fans from bringing in outside water, and ran out of water for sale during the concert.

Speaking as an economist, the lesson to be learned here is that the water was priced too low for the amount of water available. Classic supply and demand. Next time the price of the water should be higher to more properly correlate with demand. That way there would have been enough water for everyone.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Hail Taylor Swift, may she bring a quick death to the biosphere

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

Speaking as an economist, the lesson to be learned here is that the water was priced too low for the amount of water available. Classic supply and demand. Next time the price of the water should be higher to more properly correlate with demand. That way there would have been enough water for everyone.

As an economics degree haver I can confirm this is true. Only two lines can be considered and externalities aren't real.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

OIL PANIC posted:

thanks

In addition to shale wells requiring high upfront investment and having steep decline curves you also have the liquids/gas split of various formations with gas being highly price sensitive and its per well economics subject to its proximity to a pipeline - basically does it make sense to get it to consumers or flare it off.

More than this though is that production is highly variable across and within formations such that one guy is making money hand over fist while a few counties over everyone is going out of business. Wells deplete so fast that this gets shuffled up every 5 years or so and people are constantly on the hunt to find new and more economical plays. Or they go back into previously successful areas and put news wells in between existing ones which takes a long time to explain and has been hilariously unsuccessful. Or they recomplete existing wells - basically refrac it - but that has to be balanced put against constructing a completely new well.

At the end of the day prime acreage gets depleted fast and its a race to find new good acreage or find funny ways or redoing existing infrastructure before it all goes bust.

As a note about 30% of the cost of a frac job is diesel and 20% water and disposal (great cost savings by dumping this into a river). This does not account for the drilling and casing/tools to complete the well which can be maybe 60-75% of the total cost? I'm not entirely sure on that one.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

My understanding is:

-we need fossil fuels to get enough nitrogen into the soil to feed 8 billion people. The nitrogen doesn’t just stay once it’s there, it has to be fossil fuelled back at a certain point in the cycle

-so the level of nitrogen in biomass now is, literally, artificially high— cessation of artificial processes would reduce the amount within the system by a lot

-so any widespread collapse now more or less has to mean huge numbers of people will die, because the system supporting us is fragile and requires many industrial-level processes to keep going

But this could be very wrong. It’s the reason why I think comparing this collapse to pre-20th century ones undersells the impact of it; the level of the drop is a lot higher.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

vegetables posted:

My understanding is:

-we need fossil fuels to get enough nitrogen into the soil to feed 8 billion people. The nitrogen doesn’t just stay once it’s there, it has to be fossil fuelled back at a certain point in the cycle

-so the level of nitrogen in biomass now is, literally, artificially high— cessation of artificial processes would reduce the amount within the system by a lot

-so any widespread collapse now more or less has to mean huge numbers of people will die, because the system supporting us is fragile and requires many industrial-level processes to keep going

But this could be very wrong. It’s the reason why I think comparing this collapse to pre-20th century ones undersells the impact of it; the level of the drop is a lot higher.

thank u vegetables for this informative post about vegetables

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

technically you could run the Haber process on some other energy source and also produce H2 feedstock from hydrolysis of water but of course that’s a LOT more energy intensive than using fossil fuels for both so again it’s the same old energy trap referenced upthread

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
happy 1K+satan page :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up8Bcf_KBmw

we did it everyone, biosphere saved

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
meanwhile https://time.com/6335225/sultan-al-jaber-cop28-interview/?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-us

quote:

What Happens When You Put a Fossil Fuel Exec in Charge of Solving Climate Change

.....Sultan Al Jaber, the Ph.D. economist turned renewable-­energy executive turned ADNOC CEO, who is presiding over the U.N. climate conference to be held in Dubai in December. The conference, known as COP28, comes as, at the close of the hottest year on record, scientific consensus demands that we cut fossil-fuel use right now. At the same time, money continues to flow into fossil fuels; more than $1 trillion in new funding was invested this year alone, according to the International Energy Agency (IEA).

Al Jaber, as the head of both COP28 and one of the world’s largest fossil-fuel companies, is tasked with reconciling those realities. Sitting in a meeting room at the Emirates Palace hotel dressed in the traditional white thobe and sneakers, he is both a target for criticism and a symbol of possibility. “A phasedown of fossil fuels is inevitable, it is essential,” he tells me. “We have to accept that.” At the same time, he says, the world is not ready to entirely kick oil and gas. “We need to get real,” he says. “We cannot unplug the world from the current energy system before we build a new energy system.”

Most years, the COP president plays a largely functionary role, shuttling between member countries to find common ground on wonky areas of climate policy. Al Jaber has taken a very different approach. He has extended an invitation to oil and gas companies and prioritized private-sector climate solutions. In Al Jaber’s view, the success of COP28, not to mention the broader efforts to fight climate change, hinges as much on embracing the private sector and shifting market conditions as it does on wonky negotiations. “There’s going to be a paradigm shift,” he says. “The political process needs to be well complemented with private capital and a business mindset.”

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

bawfuls posted:

technically you could run the Haber process on some other energy source and also produce H2 feedstock from hydrolysis of water but of course that’s a LOT more energy intensive than using fossil fuels for both so again it’s the same old energy trap referenced upthread

I guess the critical thing is just that the biological world as it is now is interlinked with an industrial one, which has horrible implications if the industrial one goes away and can’t be replaced— which would be true with any massive reduction in energy, as you say

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

vegetables posted:

My understanding is:

Yes, this is Malthusianism correct

While the amount of food currently produced (and thrown out) could feed everyone who is hungry, people miss the point that this amount is already artificially and unsustainably high. Beyond keeping the fossil fuel game going indefinitely, the more difficult part seems to be organizing society in a way that that food will actually get to the hungry

As food scarcity grows we will likely see the opposite- proportionally more food thrown out and more people going hungry as fewer are able to pay the higher prices for it

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dokapon Findom posted:

Yes, this is Malthusianism correct

While the amount of food currently produced (and thrown out) could feed everyone who is hungry, people miss the point that this amount is already artificially and unsustainably high. Beyond keeping the fossil fuel game going indefinitely, the more difficult part seems to be organizing society in a way that that food will actually get to the hungry

As food scarcity grows we will likely see the opposite- proportionally more food thrown out and more people going hungry as fewer are able to pay the higher prices for it

wow it's really gonna suck for those people who are not me!

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

spiritual bypass posted:

wow it's really gonna suck for those people who are not me!

It sucks now! Remember how cheap corn used to be before they started putting it in gasoline?

Oatmeal has gotten crazily expensive too, pretty much doubled in price in the last ~5 years. These are not luxury foods!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

vegetables posted:

My understanding is:

you can also fix nitrogen into the soil using crop rotation and nitrogen fixing plants, but that would require more crop space dedicated to human food production, rather than crop for energy or crop for animal feed

(dont forget 30% of american corn is turned into ethanol for gasoline)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

YouTube told me that roughly half of the Nitrogen molecules in our bodies originate from the Haber process, ie industrial production reliant on significant energy input

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I don't need nitrogen I'm built different

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Not me I buy all my nitrogen from wholefoods

Nov 18, 2023
something about the sun rapidly ascending, hanging, then rapidly descending

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Trabisnikof posted:

you can also fix nitrogen into the soil using crop rotation and nitrogen fixing plants, but that would require more crop space dedicated to human food production, rather than crop for energy or crop for animal feed

(dont forget 30% of american corn is turned into ethanol for gasoline)

im going to fix the soil by growing peanuts and feeding them to cows to imbue them with the power of the mighty legume

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I’ve inhaled a lot of extra nitrogen over the years so I’ve built up a tolerance.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I tried switching to helium but everyone made fun of my voice

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER
https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1725853516185698348
https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1725849894941024543
2024 is going to kick some loving rear end LMAO

Howdges
Dec 29, 2012

behold, for I am the harbinger of death *farts*

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

what if it was guytrogen and it was for guys

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

uguu posted:

Abrupt onset and prolongation of aragonite undersaturation events in the Southern Ocean is the paper I'm thinking of. There's a pdf link in google scholar it looks like (a weird one that won't hotlink).

History of Seawater Carbonate Chemistry, Atmospheric CO2, and Ocean Acidification is an incredibly well written overview of the mechanism that govern ocean acidification. A very relevant passage:

quote:

...Comparisons between the Cretaceous and the near future are frequently made to suggest that marine calcification will not be impaired in a future high-CO2 world. The evidence cited for this is usually based on the occurrence of massive carbonate deposits during the Cretaceous such as the White Cliffs of Dover—carbonate formations that consist of coccolithophore calcite. Given the basics of carbon cycling and controls on seawater carbonate chemistry as reviewed above, it is obvious that such comparisons are invalid (see also Zeebe & Westbroek 2003, Ridgwell &
Schmidt 2010). This applies not only to the Cretaceous in particular but also to past long-term, high-CO2 steady states in general. Briefly, because two carbonate system parameters are required to determine the carbonate chemistry, similar CO2 concentrations do not imply similar carbonate
chemistry conditions (for instance, carbonate mineral saturation states can be completely different).

The anthropogenic perturbation represents a transient event with massive carbon release over a few hundred years. In contrast, the Cretaceous, for instance, represents a long-term steady-state interval over millions of years. As a result, the timescales involved (centuries versus millions of
years), reservoir sizes (a few thousand petagrams of carbon versus 10^8 Pg C), and controls on carbonate chemistry are fundamentally different.

The carbonate mineral saturation state of the ocean is generally well regulated by the requirement that on long (>10,000 years) timescales, CaCO3 sources (weathering) and sinks (shallowand deep-water CaCO3) must balance (Ridgwell & Schmidt 2010). In contrast, as pH reflects
the balance between dissolved CO2 and carbonate ion concentration, it is governed primarily by pCO2 (controlling CO2 for a given temperature) and Ca2+/Mg2+ (controlling CO3(2-) for a given CaCO3 saturation state) rather than by weathering. It follows, for instance, that there was no late Mesozoic carbonate crisis because CaCO3 saturation state was probably high and decoupled from pH. Only events involving geologically rapid (<10,000 years) CO2 release overwhelm the ability of the ocean and sediments to regulate , producing a coupled decline in both pH and saturation state and hence providing a future-relevant ocean acidification analog.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

bored of anomalies get a new kind of graph guy

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Delta-Wye posted:

thank u vegetables for this informative post about vegetables

the amount of post username combos this thread hits is in fact terrifying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

kater posted:

the amount of post username combos this thread hits is in fact terrifying

Art imitates life after all