Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sure okay posted:

Space exploration is so selfish at this stage of humantiy.

We literally have enough problems down here. Its not a race, no ones keeping score. Pass a worldwide agreement to not send anything living into space until we beat wealth inequality.

Maybe our great great great grandkids will get mars and the space hotels. But really who the gently caress cares. Really.

Its void or harsh wasteland for millions of miles in every direction. Wasteful, garbage spending

The super-rich have to start building Elysium because they can no longer deny how much they've hosed this planet.

Luckily for the rest of us, they're trusting Elon Musk to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

gently caress Apple tbh.

Of all the brands that have taken a stand now Apple is arguably the one that needs to advertise on Twitter/X the least.

They could not bother advertising on there at at all and I don’t see how it would have any effect on their brand presence. The fact they have been advertising on there, all the way up until this latest outburst, as well as carving out an exception for “Twitter” to rename to “X” on the App Store, when previously (maybe even still now) a minimum of 3 letters were required, makes me question Apple’s true principals when it comes to this stuff.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

For Elon, this was the day he was humiliated on the internet, in front of thousands of viewers as the rocket he'd put his name and brand on exploded in total failure.

For SpaceX, it was just iterated data.

Remember, even after they get it working this is musk's grand plan

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hi, I'm Jonathan Greenblatt of the Anti-Defamation League, here to remind you that it's ok to hate Jews as long as you hate brown and queer people more

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

sure okay posted:

We literally have enough problems down here. Its not a race, no ones keeping score. Pass a worldwide agreement to not send anything living into space until we beat wealth inequality.

Maybe our great great great grandkids will get mars and the space hotels. But really who the gently caress cares. Really.

Its void or harsh wasteland for millions of miles in every direction. Wasteful, garbage spending

We could solve wealth inequality right now, if "We" wanted it.

But we don't. It's not space travel or exploration that causes that.

Which is a drop in the bucket compared to other things.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

If they’re going to go for it, they should have really gone for it.

“Throbbing rocket maneuvers”
“Penetrated several layers of the atmosphere”
“Ejaculated its payload”

SPACESHIP DOES A BIG SPACE CUM AND DIES

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Azhais posted:

I'm sure that 6 months of biweekly launches won't mess with anything important living in the sensitive habitat that every launch wrecks.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Azhais posted:

The depot surely is meant to stay in orbit so each subsequent moonshot only requires the depot having fuel in it? Right? They're not going to rebuild the depot every time?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Stupid legacy media reporting starship blew up just because starship blew up

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Elon gripping his phone to the point it cracks, desperately forcing himself to write anything even remotely positive about something that isn't X, Diablo, or watching minorities bite the curb

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

PostNouveau posted:

The depot surely is meant to stay in orbit so each subsequent moonshot only requires the depot having fuel in it? Right? They're not going to rebuild the depot every time?

That's just to fill the gas depot for the final moon rocket iirc, not building the depot

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

kazil posted:

ah yes, that left wing rag known as the Wall Street Journal

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

smoobles posted:

Title or tagline ideas:

-Linda Yacks Back
-Did Someone Say #DISASTER
-Stories From an X-CEO

#Book

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Yacc's book has to walk a fine line: Highlight her accomplishments in a disaster, but also not disparage Musk or anyone else seriously, lest she hurt her chances at the next CEO job.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Reminder

I don’t know how much you know about rocket culture (I’m an expert) but exploding and shame are huge parts of it

This is the saddest thing posted in this thread thank you

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

kazil posted:

I don't understand. Elon has constantly said the New York Times always lies...so are they saying the rocket exploding was a failure?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

sure okay posted:

I don't agree, but I think it is a reasonable position to take.

To add some perspective, you could fund NASA's entire budget for almost four years for what Microsoft paid for Activision. The SLS rocket is widely seen as a massively overpriced, decade-long boondoggle, and it has cost roughly the same as what one insane rear end in a top hat paid to run a stupid social media website into the ground. It's good to question how we spend our collective resources. But I'd also suggest there are better targets to go after before you start cutting into science research.

All that said, every aerospace education program should have "Whitey on the Moon" as required reading. (Maybe they do! I don't know.)

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Reminder

I don’t know how much you know about rocket culture (I’m an expert) but exploding and shame are huge parts of it

Sorry about your premature ejaculation problems.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

space hotels is laughable. a hotel the size of an airliner, and that's all you get to do or see on your trip. you can't leave, can't even go outside for fresh air, you're eating nutrient paste for breakfast lunch and dinner and you can't take a proper shower

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

smoobles posted:

there was simply no reason to word this headline in such a horny way

The writer is having a hard time with no nut november. He's days away from becoming Tech Knight in Gen V.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Juul-Whip posted:

space hotels is laughable. a hotel the size of an airliner, and that's all you get to do or see on your trip. you can't leave, can't even go outside for fresh air, you're eating nutrient paste for breakfast lunch and dinner and you can't take a proper shower
Japan already invented these types of capsule hotel rooms

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

with a capsule hotel you can still step out for a stroll, check out a bar, eat real food, have a smoke

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Philonius posted:

Yeah, seems like the payload made orbit, so this can be counted as a win.

I'm conflicted about these things - I was a fan of Spacex when they were shaking up the complacent defense contractors and engaging in pretty solid engineering. Now though, it's a toss-up between cheering on spaceflight and cheering on when something explodes in Musk's face.

The previous failure was 100% on Musk's arrogance. They tried to launch a Saturn V class rocket from a poorly reinforced pad with no flame diversion trench and no water deluge system. People warned him this would go poorly, but Elon knew better. Shrapnel from the obliterated launch pad damaged a few engines before the rocket even cleared the tower and things got worse from there.

I wish the government stepped in and took SpaceX away from this walking security risk. From all I've heard from behind the scenes Spacex's successes were in spite of Elon, not because of him.

The sooner SpaceX goes under the sooner the talented people there can move to a company run by an adult

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Azhais posted:

That's just to fill the gas depot for the final moon rocket iirc, not building the depot

:psyduck:

But we went to the moon without an orbital fuel depot.

Wait, why are we doing this at all? What are we gonna do on the moon?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Poor rocket thought of the woke mind virus and died.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Juul-Whip posted:

I don't know, people like going on cruises. I guess booze would be too risky in space so maybe not, after all.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Juul-Whip posted:

You'd build a space hotel station. It could be "fairly" big. Obviously not much.

The entire hook is going to space and then having sex in space. Everything else is gravy.

The gravy is in a tube.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

So you could match the experience with a 30 minute ride to space then spending the next day on the vomit comet.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Edmund Sparkler posted:

I don't know, people like going on cruises. I guess booze would be too risky in space so maybe not, after all.

Looking forward to the first space drunk managing to somehow throw a stool through one of the windows. Physically improbable? Sure, but when there's a drunk there's a way

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

PostNouveau posted:

The super-rich have to start building Elysium because they can no longer deny how much they've hosed this planet.

Luckily for the rest of us, they're trusting Elon Musk to do this.

https://youtu.be/goh2x_G0ct4?si=EqCrjAaqCUCOGtAH

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Kit Walker posted:

Looking forward to the first space drunk managing to somehow throw a stool through one of the windows. Physically improbable? Sure, but when there's a drunk there's a way

That will happen literally the first time they send any Finn to space.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

:psyduck:

But we went to the moon without an orbital fuel depot.

Wait, why are we doing this at all? What are we gonna do on the moon?

One hard part of a Mars mission is leaving Mars after you land. Part of what makes that hard is that you need a whole bunch of fuel to blast off, but that fuel is heavy so you also need even more fuel to blast off from Earth in order to have enough fuel to blast off from Mars.

Due to the lower gravity, it'd requires less fuel to blast off from something orbiting the Earth from far away, like the moon. So people obsessed with Sci-fi depictions of future Earth having a solar empire like Musk want to have a place on the moon to blast off from. That place either makes its own fuel somehow, or gets fuel sent along with space tourists or whatever over time.

The details aren't important because they treat Sci-fi novels as accurate predictions of the future so anything that blocks us creating an exact replica of a Sci-fi franchise's world building such as something being "literally impossible" or something "having a better, non sci-fi solution" are just problems smart engineers can solve.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Further Reading posted:

One hard part of a Mars mission is leaving Mars after you land. Part of what makes that hard is that you need a whole bunch of fuel to blast off, but that fuel is heavy so you also need even more fuel to blast off from Earth in order to have enough fuel to blast off from Mars.

Due to the lower gravity, it'd requires less fuel to blast off from something orbiting the Earth from far away, like the moon. So people obsessed with Sci-fi depictions of future Earth having a solar empire like Musk want to have a place on the moon to blast off from. That place either makes its own fuel somehow, or gets fuel sent along with space tourists or whatever over time.

The details aren't important because they treat Sci-fi novels as accurate predictions of the future so anything that blocks us creating an exact replica of a Sci-fi franchise's world building such as something being "literally impossible" or something "having a better, non sci-fi solution" are just problems smart engineers can solve.

Are they planning to build a moon base or "just" a refueling station/launchpad?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Further Reading posted:

Are there better solutions? This one kind of makes sense if you need to go to Mars. Which we don't.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kit Walker posted:

"Hey where's this door g-*FSSSSSSSHHHH*"

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

PostNouveau posted:

Are they planning to build a moon base or "just" a refueling station/launchpad?

the goal of Artemis is to build a long-term presence on the moon as a midpoint

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
The ISS has the living volume of ~3 average American homes. IIRC it usually crews 6-7 with the max onboard being 14. It's resupplied every 45 days or so, although it supposedly keeps supplies on hand for up to six months of crew, :shrug: what qualifies as 'crew' and 'up to six months'. Most notably the ISS is also a big-rear end kludge with a lovely design thats focused around research stations.

A space hotel designed specifically around rich people being able to look outside, that was resupplied weekly, could comfortably hold 20 billionaires and 5 crew for seven day stretches. A Falcon9 launch costs 63 million now? Would 20 idiots pioneers pay 1m per night (plus spacefare) for seven nights ~iN sPaCe~? As an example, I would look to the Titan submarine

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Elman posted:

Are there better solutions? This one kind of makes sense if you need to go to Mars. Which we don't.

The main kicker here is we don't need to go to mars, yeah. That being said another sci-fi solution could be to have a space factory that takes all the materials mined from asteroids and builds the shop + extract the fuel there to minimise what needs to be launched from earth. That could be on the moon or could just be a space station.

That requires a decent space mining industry and might also have benefits outside of making going to mars easier, but people like Elon don't like that plan as it's much less likely they'll live to see the mars mission it could lead to.

FurtherReading fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 18, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Until there's a real reason to go to space, not much will happen.

Science/exploration is a reason, but it runs as a deficit, so not popular.

You need to make money. And thus tourism is the first and easiest option. Then mining. Then construction. Then after that you've got cities of people working and living in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

redshirt posted:

That's a drat cool clip.

I wish Musk wasn't involved with Space....X, as I really want Starship to succeed. It would be a big step forward in our ability to travel off the planet.

Until we have learned to live sustainably with the resources on this planet we have no right to leave.