Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Every scene with Debbie is so loving sad. How the gently caress does she find a happy ending out of all this?:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^
Like her support group buddy said, it takes time.

pik_d posted:

Is Nolan gonna Vegeta those bug people?

Depending on what era of Vegeta you mean, yes.

Admin Edit: Added spoiler tags to the entire post because I have no idea what is a spoiler and this was reported as such, sorry if it aint, sorry if it was.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Takes No Damage posted:

^^^
Like her support group buddy said, it takes time.

Depending on what era of Vegeta you mean, yes.

I have never been to a 12 step like program so maybe this is reading into things. But did it seem like he was hitting on her? He seemed like kind of a terrible person before he name dropped his ex but then he casually breaks the first rule of their group, huge red flag. In the end he lacks the brain power to realize Nolan is her abuser and goes off in a huff. Low class dude.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I can see it looking that way, what with him inviting her over to a bar as a group and then they're the only ones who show up...

But the story does cram a bunch of coincidences in there to set up that final confrontation, I can see it feeling rushed. Also c'mon Deb, you go to a support group for spouses of dead superheroes and don't imagine you being married to the world's leading murderer of superheroes might get awkward?

Also, still laughing at the 'Oh they're about to bone down? Uhh, let's go follow these characters for a while.' Comic does it exactly the same way.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

everydayfalls posted:

I have never been to a 12 step like program so maybe this is reading into things. But did it seem like he was hitting on her? He seemed like kind of a terrible person before he name dropped his ex but then he casually breaks the first rule of their group, huge red flag. In the end he lacks the brain power to realize Nolan is her abuser and goes off in a huff. Low class dude.

Maybe? He could have just been trying to help her open up given how he comments on being in a similar position until recently. I don't really think "Hey, want to hear me talk about my dead wife?" is really part of the standard pickup, though.

While I don't think he handled the situation well at all, I could see how, from his point of view, Debbie didn't "lose" anything given Mark and Nolan both survived while Green Ghost is still dead.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Speaking of suspicious: who the gently caress decided to invite this random weirdo to the Guardians hideout? Immortal you are not running a tight ship at all. Also stop loving your coworkers that's inappropriate!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I, for one, believe in our good friend Hugh Man.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Maybe this gets explained later, but how has the Coalition actually survived this long? They have 0 defense against Viltrumites, who can just show up in their territory and kick the poo poo out of their best solider on a whim. Why do the Viltrumites even need a mole? Just topple the whole thing straight up.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Also, as a show only person, is Thaedus just straight up a Viltrumite? Is there a third race that looks just like humans and he happens to also be the mole? (Comic readers, I don't actually want this answered)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

everydayfalls posted:

I dunno, I think its completely normal for a person to not want to interact with the person who was the wife of the person that brutally murdered his girlfriend.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

GunnerJ posted:

Maybe this gets explained later, but how has the Coalition actually survived this long? They have 0 defense against Viltrumites, who can just show up in their territory and kick the poo poo out of their best solider on a whim. Why do the Viltrumites even need a mole? Just topple the whole thing straight up.

It's explained in the comics so I assume it will be covered in the show.

I've been re-reading the comics and boy the TV show crams a lot of plot into each episode. Not a bad thing just jarring in contrast.

Seance Dog was a fun and timely update from Science Dog in the comics.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
It does get explained. Probably at the end of this or the next block.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

It's explained in the comics so I assume it will be covered in the show.

It's central to the entire plot, I don't see how they can avoid it.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 17, 2023

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I dunno, I think its completely normal for a person to not want to interact with the person who was the wife of the person that brutally murdered his girlfriend.

I mean sure don’t invite her to bar time anymore, but he broke the rule of the group. Then at the end he is the one that threatens her with violence. It’s just a weird interaction all around.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Thanks for the clarification!

pik_d posted:

Also, as a show only person, is Thaedus just straight up a Viltrumite? Is there a third race that looks just like humans and he happens to also be the mole? (Comic readers, I don't actually want this answered)

This was my guess too, tbh, when trying to think of an explanation for my own question. (No one needs to fill in this blank either.)

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

GunnerJ posted:

My (non-book reader pls don't spoil) theory is that the limit of Viltrumite power is a numbers game. Only so many survived the unification and they aren't or can't make more. Viltrumite occupation is one rear end in a top hat who can wreck your whole planet's poo poo if you don't do what they say.

Like maybe if your species is tuned to live for 100,000 years it takes 15,000 to hit puberty and get your powers. If so Mark inheriting is doubly special: not only was he a successful powered up crossbreed (which seems unique so far) but also the equivalent of humans figuring a way to hatch fully grown adult humans from fruit fly eggs. It makes Earth (and it's location) the most important secret in the universe.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Aces High posted:

It can not be stated enough how amazing the casting choices for this series are

The world's biggest asterisk for Jason Mantzoukas on this one.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Maybe it's been so long since season 1 that I'm not remembering correctly (I'll have to go back and rewatch i guess) but Mantzoukas sounds like he's really toned down his Mantzoukas-ness for Rex this season.

I think a lot of the voice acting is pretty good regardless though, in my experience on-screen actors don't usually do as well with it.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah I've been enjoying Rex/Mantzoukas this season, at least.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

GunnerJ posted:

I'm guessing the Viltrumites allow it to live to get useful information from the mole. So for any planets they really want, the coalition invites them in, they're weaknesses are discovered and that gets passed on to the Viltrumites.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

mastajake posted:

Yeah I've been enjoying Rex/Mantzoukas this season, at least.

I didn’t love his casting at first but I have to admit he kinda works in the role now

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I'm guessing the Viltrumites allow it to live to get useful information from the mole. So for any planets they really want, the coalition invites them in, they're weaknesses are discovered and that gets passed on to the Viltrumites.

This would make sense if the Viltrumites needed a scheme like that, but I don't see it. How valuable, really, is info about target weakness to them? Nothing we've seen so far (besides, very recently and very clearly freaking them the gently caress out, the power of complex father-son emotions) has been shown to beat a Viltrumite; subtlety and planning around enemy weaknesses is for villains with vulnerabilities they have to cover for. My first guess was honestly that they just don't care about the Coalition: it's not worth altering their timetable of conquest for some pompous alliance that doesn't stand any better chance of resisting them than anyone else. That makes more sense to me than that the Coalition is some major asset to them.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

everydayfalls posted:

I mean sure don’t invite her to bar time anymore, but he broke the rule of the group. Then at the end he is the one that threatens her with violence. It’s just a weird interaction all around.

I imagine this is exactly why the no full names and identities rule is in place; because super heroes go crazy/get possessed or whatever else and kill each other frequently and it'd drag a lot of bad blood into the circle to constantly be sniping at each other about how your spouse was too much of a loser to fight off alien mind control and got everyone killed.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

I'm so interested in Debbie's journey. Its all presented so well with no bs

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GateOfD posted:

I'm so interested in Debbie's journey. Its all presented so well with no bs

Interested in what they do with her as well. Character work is what's being improved the most from the comics. All the big action beats are going to be there but they're moving stuff around so that things make a lot more sense. Amber is an actual person now rather than just Hot GirlfriendTM, and having his friend be gay from the start makes him worrying so much about that guy that got kidnapped at college flow a lot better. He does come out towards the end of the comic but Mark is just 'Oh OK, cool.' and it's never brought up again :raise:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Mark was "ok cool" eventually, but initially it freaked him out, it was Eve that was just like "oh, huh, that explains a lot" right from the moment William came out of the closet (I think she walks in on him with a guy?).

To really put into perspective the era the comics were written in, when William first finds out Mark is Invincible, he insists that he take him flying and the panel with them in the air has a William that is pleased as punch, and a frustrated Mark saying "this is so gay". This joke gets repeated again when William finds out that Eve is Atom Eve, insists SHE take him flying, and this time she is the one saying "this is so gay"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Eve being Atom Eve feels like it shouldn't be something that needs to be revealed unless you've just never heard of her before or seen her face.

I wonder if there's a Superman-esque explanation for how no one recognizes her or Nolan as civilians.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Takes No Damage posted:

Interested in what they do with her as well. Character work is what's being improved the most from the comics.

The Debbie subplot here is better than in the comics imo. In the comics she just becomes an alcoholic for a bit, getting blackout drunk and passing out on the couch for Mark to find. This isn't a spoiler since that subplot has been wholly replaced and doesn't make sense to add after this point in the story. The way its constructed in the show makes for a better pacing fit since there's less 'mark fights a guy and comes home' stories in the show when compared to the comics.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I think the biggest change there is changing what Nolan says when he's ranting at Mark. In the show he says that he considers Debbie more of a pet, something he never got close to saying in the same moment in the comic. Though with that said, was the audio from what Nolan and Mark were saying to each other broadcast to the world? Or did Cecil keep that contained to just those in the room + the Guardians? If that did go public, Mr. Green Ghost looks like even more of an rear end in a top hat, not that he needs help with that.

I hope we see Olga again so that Debbie can tell her about that bullshit. Even when Nolan was still around and being insidious, Debbie continued supporting Olga, so I think it's fair to say that not all of the group would share the same feeling of anger towards Debbie as proxy for how they feel about Nolan and all of his actions.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Aces High posted:

I think the biggest change there is changing what Nolan says when he's ranting at Mark. In the show he says that he considers Debbie more of a pet, something he never got close to saying in the same moment in the comic.

nope

this was early in the mark/nolan fight btw

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I wonder if there's a Superman-esque explanation for how no one recognizes her or Nolan as civilians.

The explanation is Because Comics. Same way Mark can fly around an active college campus in street clothes or practice landing in his own back yard for hours and ain't nobody saw nothin'.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

also this is the gist of the whole Debbie arc we 'missed'

the show's version is better

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Eve being Atom Eve feels like it shouldn't be something that needs to be revealed unless you've just never heard of her before or seen her face.

Eve says to Mark early on that it's a psychological effect: if you don't expect to see a superhero at your school, you just don't see one. Of course, her name makes that a bit harder, since someone is bound to think "Huh, my classmate 'Eve' sure looks exactly like this famous person also named 'Eve'"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like the Viltrumite with the knife braided into her hair. I like to imagine other Viltrumites take the piss out of her behind her back for trying too hard to be cool. It could make for some fun fight sequences if she ends up in a situation where she'd actually need to use it.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Good Citizen posted:

nope

this was early in the mark/nolan fight btw

dang, I remember it having such a punch in the show, I had thought it was new dialogue. It's such a striking line too, I don't know how I forgot that line over two reads of the series

Then again, I remember when I was a kid, reading Lord of the Rings after Fellowship came out and feeling no emotional connection when the Balrog appears. J.K. Simmons and Ian McKellen just brought something to the lines, I guess

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Aces High posted:

dang, I remember it having such a punch in the show, I had thought it was new dialogue. It's such a striking line too, I don't know how I forgot that line over two reads of the series

Then again, I remember when I was a kid, reading Lord of the Rings after Fellowship came out and feeling no emotional connection when the Balrog appears. J.K. Simmons and Ian McKellen just brought something to the lines, I guess

I think it's because of the prior line. In the show the prior clause in that line is "I do love your mother, but" which makes it seem like he's going to say something positive which makes the pet comparison more jarring and upsetting. In the comic he's basically just saying "These fleshy weak things have no real use except for breeding viltrumites and keeping as a pet" which is a much more standard evil monolog.

Also just going from the words on the page Gandalf is basically listing allocades (I am the keeper of the sacred flame etc) and just telling the balrog to gently caress off. Being all "You aren't invited, I've got a phd in magic. Go away." Hence that dialog working only with the delivery because McKellen sells it and makes it hit harder. Also from one of those joke meme videos (this meme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOx7gFwE1oU) I learned that one of Gandalf's people's powers is basically speaking natural laws into existence, so he's not just trash talking the Balrog, it could be seen as him enacting something that prevents the Balrog from crossing the bridge at all beyond just breaking it. "You shall not pass" is a statement of fact because Gandalf said it, as far as I understand that idea.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 18, 2023

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

I haven't read the comic, but just based on that panel the show has more "oomph" because in the comic he is just stating facts, while in the show he says something along the lines of "I love your mother... but, like a pet" and sounds somewhat ashamed of himself.

^^ yeah that

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The space fight was cool in that the sound effects were very muted (obviously no sound in space). But those Viltrumites need to work on their interrogation techniques. Seems they lost patience too fast and it didn't seem like they got any information out of Allen.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

also this is the gist of the whole Debbie arc we 'missed'

the show's version is better

This reminds me how much I hate how American comics bold certain words characters speak. Makes for such a difficult flow when reading.

Anyway new episode was really good!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Panfilo posted:

The space fight was cool in that the sound effects were very muted (obviously no sound in space). But those Viltrumites need to work on their interrogation techniques. Seems they lost patience too fast and it didn't seem like they got any information out of Allen.

My theory is that Viltrumites aren't actually all that wise. After all, they thought the great purge was a good idea. They made cool science advances, but common sense? Not so much. They rely so much on brute strength that their tactical minds have atrophied to nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The viltrumites seem like any advanced race in any sci-fi. They are complete douchebags, are dumb as poo poo, and can't understand why everyone else just doesn't submit to them.