Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Sagacity posted:

As I mentioned upthread, I used to use AdGuard for Android which creates a local VPN that routes all your traffic. This way, you can get adblocking for a lot of stuff on Android, including Chrome. It really hogs battery though (on the level of having to charge my phone in the early evening vs. having battery left when going to bed).

I've switched to using NextDNS which works less well but still blocks enough ads to be very useful. The benefit of using a hosted DNS provider versus something like a self-hosted PiHole is that my ads are still blocked when I'm not on my WiFi at home, but the battery doesn't get drained like with AdGuard for Android.

It still feels weird to pay for a service like this so any suggestions for setting up PiHole in such a way that all mobile devices in the family can use it (even from mobile or on other WiFi networks) is welcome. Well, a way that doesn't expose it to randos, I mean.

You would need to setup a VPN connection to your home network. Then your family would use a VPN client on their mobile devices to dial back home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Sagacity posted:

As I mentioned upthread, I used to use AdGuard for Android which creates a local VPN that routes all your traffic. This way, you can get adblocking for a lot of stuff on Android, including Chrome. It really hogs battery though (on the level of having to charge my phone in the early evening vs. having battery left when going to bed).

I've switched to using NextDNS which works less well but still blocks enough ads to be very useful. The benefit of using a hosted DNS provider versus something like a self-hosted PiHole is that my ads are still blocked when I'm not on my WiFi at home, but the battery doesn't get drained like with AdGuard for Android.

It still feels weird to pay for a service like this so any suggestions for setting up PiHole in such a way that all mobile devices in the family can use it (even from mobile or on other WiFi networks) is welcome. Well, a way that doesn't expose it to randos, I mean.

Could set up Wireguard on your router then your phone would act as if it was on the network anyways and pihole should still act as your filter.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sagacity posted:

NextDNS works really well for me since I've added some of the community blocklists.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
All this work

Install Vivaldi problem solved :smug:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Shipon posted:

I have Firefox installed on my laptop and there's this stupid Pocket bullshit whenever I open it, are they smuggling ads into Firefox too?

Yes, more or less. Mozilla buying pocket was very much one of those "acting like a corp" moves.

To disable pocket entirely, go to about :config and set extensions.pocket.enabled to false.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

down1nit posted:

All this work

Install Vivaldi problem solved :smug:

vivaldi is also going to prevent users from installing ublock you dingus

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

vivaldi is also going to prevent users from installing ublock you dingus

No, Vivaldi has stated they're going to keep Manifest V2 or something similar available, implementing it themselves. It remains to be seen how successful they'll be with it, but they're not giving into V3 like Edge is.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Yeah it's the old skool Opera crew making the world a better place.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Yeah but Vivaldi is such a stupid name I just can't do it

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
not as dumb as chrome is

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
chome

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Aware posted:

listen to the four seasons you philistine

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

listen to the four seasons you philistine

It's just a load of gardening tips this sucks

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Still clinging to my sweet Mozilla suite with email, newsgroups and an IRC client. Check and mate

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Aware posted:

Vivaldi should be a piece of music software like Sibelius, not a browser

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
How about arc by the browser company?

*Still no windows release :(

Vyse
Jan 27, 2005

Harminoff posted:

I have been using it for months now on macOS and think it's great, still chromium based to be sure though. They're still claiming we'll see a windows release this winter. It doesn't really have a strong mobile offering if that's a problem as well, they call it a companion app rather than an outright browser, and there's no functional iPad release at all if that's of interest.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Harminoff posted:

Arc is awesome but I’m bummed that all my adblockers won’t work since Google is banning them.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

BUUNNI posted:

Arc is awesome but I’m bummed that all my adblockers won’t work since Google is banning them.

That's why you get something like a Pihole or NextDNS so you can have network-wide ad blocking. It doesn't have all of the capabilities that ublock has with like disabling web page scripts and elements but I'm not sure any app will once v3 comes out. In which case you just switch to Firefox.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Blurb3947 posted:

That's why you get something like a Pihole or NextDNS so you can have network-wide ad blocking. It doesn't have all of the capabilities that ublock has with like disabling web page scripts and elements but I'm not sure any app will once v3 comes out. In which case you just switch to Firefox.
Most ad-tech is deliberately being embedded into protocols themselves, so as to break DNS blocking.
HTTP Live Streaming (the thing implemented by Apple, and which Twitch is using) does EXT-X-DISCONTINUITY and I'm sure Alphabet wants to do something similar with HTTP DASH (which is their equivalent of HLS, used for YouTube).

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

You ever notice how many text to speech narrated police interrogation videos/channels there are? They all have like 5 million subscribers and just narrate over publicly available police footage from states like Florida.

Seems like it would be super easy to have an AI write and narrate the same story three different ways, and make three different channels that all have millions of subs.

:tinfoil:

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Funnily enough, Youtube is adding an artificial 5s delay to player loading in Firefox https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/17ywbjj/comment/k9w3ei4/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Just petty.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Beastie posted:

You ever notice how many text to speech narrated police interrogation videos/channels there are? They all have like 5 million subscribers and just narrate over publicly available police footage from states like Florida.

Seems like it would be super easy to have an AI write and narrate the same story three different ways, and make three different channels that all have millions of subs.

:tinfoil:

I fell into these super hard over the spring lol, they're all trying to mimic one very legit channel whose name I can't recall but gently caress a lot of them are really good

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

beep by grandpa posted:

I fell into these super hard over the spring lol, they're all trying to mimic one very legit channel whose name I can't recall but gently caress a lot of them are really good
If you mean JCS Criminal Psychology, that channel isn't exactly what I'd call legit (from a scientific point of view anyway). A lot of it is a bunch of pseudoscientific body language interpretation bullshit. The videos are interesting just as a distilled edit of the raw source material, but the "criminal psychology" aspect of it is dubious at best (and given that it's usually a retrospective look at a case where the outcome is already known, it's not exactly difficult to come up with interpretations that fit the outcome).

Volte fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 20, 2023

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Volte posted:

A lot of it is a bunch of pseudoscientific body language interpretation bullshit.
Agreed, I liked everything except for this poo poo "look how they squirm and their body language becomes erratic, tell-tale of lying" gently caress off, that's cop intimidation "why are you so nervous, buddy?" poo poo. Other than that the vids are super compelling.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

NtotheTC posted:

Funnily enough, Youtube is adding an artificial 5s delay to player loading in Firefox https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/17ywbjj/comment/k9w3ei4/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Further posts in that thread seem to say that is part of ad-block checking, and not targeting firefox specifically

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the jcs videos just presume to know way too much about the subjects, which also makes for some weird smugly superior videos thinking they're outsmarting some random 18yo

kind of like when body language analysis is used to make misogynistic fedora videos on about celebrities

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
It took a while to wash those 'audit the audit' type videos out of my algo where some libertarian reviews interactions between members of the public and the police and starts grading them.

Some super loving weird people out there.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

NtotheTC posted:

I came here to ask about this and if it was just me, thanks.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Xakura posted:

Further posts in that thread seem to say that is part of ad-block checking, and not targeting firefox specifically

I don’t have time to read that post/thread, but if that’s true why wouldn’t it happen everywhere?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

namlosh posted:

I don’t have time to read that post/thread, but if that’s true why wouldn’t it happen everywhere?

It does happen everywhere

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

namlosh posted:

I use Vivaldi as my youtube browser, the delay was happening to me the last two days. So it's definitely not firefox only.

Not happening this morning, but I don't know if that's ublock or youtube.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Tiny Timbs posted:

It does happen everywhere

Klyith posted:

I use Vivaldi as my youtube browser, the delay was happening to me the last two days. So it's definitely not firefox only.

Got it, didn’t realize it was happening everywhere.

I subscribe to family YouTube premium and feel dirty about it

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Klyith posted:

It would be uBlock. It took nearly no time for someone to come out for a fix in one of the firefox reddit threads about it.

If you still have the issue, try adding the below line to your ublock filters.

code:
www.youtube.com##+js(nano-stb, resolve(1), *, 0.001)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

well why not posted:

glowing eyes is an instant reprimand,

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The scriptfix didn't work for me, but switching agents to chrome was like magic.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Klyith posted:

I've been using Vivaldi + uBO for a few years now, and about a month ago I noticed that videos were automatically pausing themselves instead of preloading.

Could be YouTube, could be one of the dozen other extensions I have installed. Who knows.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tornhelm posted:

If you still have the issue, try adding the below line to your ublock filters.

code:
www.youtube.com##+js(nano-stb, resolve(1), *, 0.001)

My word of warning about this: if you're adding your own filters like that, you need to remember that you've done that and you may need to remove it again later. Youtube is definitely still loving with adblockers, and a future rev of their bullshit might not work with or intentionally break for people who added that line.

So personally I'm just gonna keep using ublock's filters. If ublock isn't perfect and has a delay, I'll deal with it until ublock updates.

(OTOH I mostly watch medium or long-format stuff on youtube mostly, so a 5 second delay doesn't super bother me. For someone who is listening to music playlists I can see it being very annoying.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zggNjikFRMQ

AMD won all but two categories and one of those categories was “most disappointing CPU” which went to the entire 14th gen Intel lineup lmfao.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 23, 2023