Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Cause it's such a hardship for him to be able to sit there for 15 minutes and give out rehearsed say-nothing responses to a few questions? Is he not capable of doing that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
why do you care so much if he does that or blows it off

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Pretty wild how many people at the bottom of the Braves 40 man roster were traded away or dropped.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

mcmagic posted:

Cause it's such a hardship for him to be able to sit there for 15 minutes and give out rehearsed say-nothing responses to a few questions? Is he not capable of doing that?

Those interviews are usually pointless bullshit and nobody enjoys it.

Nick Castellanos tried to troll his way out of one by swearing, and they wouldn't cut him off.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

mcmagic posted:

The dude is famously private and I think it's kind of cool that the current superstar of the MLB doesn't want to do dick about poo poo with the public media frenzy, especially since he knows he'll just get badgered and who he's signing with.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

mcmagic posted:

You lose your mind (I know it's partially performative) when the Jets GM or HC uses empty platitudes.

You hated it when Cashman was yapping last week.

Now you're trying to call out the guy who's trying to do right by you by skipping the charade?

For shame mcmagic

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Squall posted:

Pretty wild how many people at the bottom of the Braves 40 man roster were traded away or dropped.
Not expecting this to actually happen cause it doesn't make sense but I bet it fuels rumors about moving Fried for a package.
I assume he's out of options by now? Can't imagine he gets more than a minor league deal anywhere.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

What insightful questions are we missing. They always ask the same dumb poo poo

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I for one demand to know what was going through Ohtani’s mind when the announcement was made just minutes prior.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Squall posted:

lotta chaff to be honest, pretty much everyone else they cut was surplus or out of options (imagine they would've kept Tonkin at least otherwise). also a lot of waiver wire pickups that didn't come into play. interesting that the one they tendered was Ynoa, who should finally be healthy and has the stuff to hang in the rotation if he can keep his head in games. still a little surprised they wouldn't at least see how Kyle Wright recovers, but there's obviously a huge need for innings this year he can't help with

elentar fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 18, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Any team acquiring Trout without the intention of parking him permanently at DH (which obviously signing Shohei entirely precludes the possibility of) is going to be an expensive disaster. Trout is still a great player when he plays but he is made of fine beautiful fragile porcelain. His best shot at still being a star going forward is via the Paul Molitor path of becoming strictly a DH and raking into his forties.

Granting the Dodgers don't give a poo poo about wasting money and if getting Trout seals the deal with Shohei then sure why not.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I can not emphasize enough how much that Hector Gomez tweet is completely fabricated clickbait bullshit. Arte Moreno will never trade Mike Trout to the Dodgers.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Eric the Mauve posted:

Any team acquiring Trout without the intention of parking him permanently at DH (which obviously signing Shohei entirely precludes the possibility of) is going to be an expensive disaster. Trout is still a great player when he plays but he is made of fine beautiful fragile porcelain. His best shot at still being a star going forward is via the Paul Molitor path of becoming strictly a DH and raking into his forties.

Granting the Dodgers don't give a poo poo about wasting money and if getting Trout seals the deal with Shohei then sure why not.

He and Yordan could split time between LF and DH :colbert:

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

bawfuls posted:

I can not emphasize enough how much that Hector Gomez tweet is completely fabricated clickbait bullshit. Arte Moreno will never trade Mike Trout to the Dodgers.

Arte Moreno is meddling and not smart so I am anticipating a Mike Trout to Philadelphia for expensive veterans trade or something equally silly.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Intruder posted:

Ohtani is on record as wanting to put a team over the top, well there's a team that came a game short of the WS
There's also a team that's never made it to the World Series!

Can you imagine the narrative if Ohtani was the catalyst for the first Ms World Series?

mcmagic posted:

Capable? Sure.

No one actually cares. Player interviews are BS anyway and Ohtani doesn't want to do them. I say more power to him.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I have never empathized with a sports man more than when Marshawn Lynch gave that one interview. I say most interviews should be opt in, answering media questions is not an essential part of playing the game.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Most of those reporters don't make any money and are just trying to do their job. The idea that these players who make 30+ million a year can't take 15 minutes to answer some questions is dumb even if most of the time they are a waste of everyone's time anyway.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
The reporters should be paid more and also given things to report on that aren't a waste of everyone's time.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the answer isn't to waste everybody's time. Put the reporters to work building public projects like national parks and infrastructure.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ally take Castellanos away from me

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'm happy Wisdom's coming back so I can continue to post about his wise dongs.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sports are a waste of everyone's time but I like them anyway

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/yesyeah/status/1725618160424964578

I uh

I see

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Popete posted:

Yeah the answer isn't to waste everybody's time. Put the reporters to work building public projects like national parks and infrastructure.

What if sports journalists watched and analyzed video and statistics and reported to us on what outcomes are probable, or why an unexpected outcome occurred, thus educating the viewer?

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Red posted:

What if sports journalists watched and analyzed video and statistics and reported to us on what outcomes are probable, or why an unexpected outcome occurred, thus educating the viewer?

MLB youtubers would break their kneecaps for intruding on their turf

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
There were some rumors the other day that the Cubs had fired bench coach Andy Green, but now apparently it sounds like he just opted to quit and take a promotion into the Mets FO:

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1725947047847645300

Also this sucks, having both Mike Napoli and Jon Jay on the coaching staff would have ruled:

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1725919121584623697

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I hearby nominate the Chicagoland Baseball Oafs to the position of Cubs co-bench coaches.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Forrest on Fire posted:

Arte Moreno is meddling and not smart so I am anticipating a Mike Trout to Philadelphia for expensive veterans trade or something equally silly.

The smart move would be to trade the 32-year-old who's missed 250 games in the past three years.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

Most of those reporters don't make any money and are just trying to do their job. The idea that these players who make 30+ million a year can't take 15 minutes to answer some questions is dumb even if most of the time they are a waste of everyone's time anyway.

Maybe they should do actual reporting instead of asking stupid questions like "how does it feel to win an award"

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Any reporter worth their salt would have spent the interview time asking about the dog.

Also if Trout is available I think you gotta pick up the phone. If Arte returns to Jesus and decides to sell, there’s a world where he’s trying to divest assets. I think any team (except the one that gets Ohtani and realistically the Yankees given they have “Trout in three years” in Stanton) makes room for him as a full time DH, especially if money is coming along.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
Based on some of the stories I’ve read about the Angels organization Trout might benefit from a competent medical and training staff.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Sydin posted:

Also this sucks, having both Mike Napoli and Jon Jay on the coaching staff would have ruled

I mean it’s Bob so there’s still like a 50/50 shot this happens

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

secular woods sex posted:

Based on some of the stories I’ve read about the Angels organization Trout might benefit from a competent medical and training staff.

Speaking of Stanton et al...

Reports that I'm hearing have the Yankees Brass totally satisfied with Cressey (their strength & conditioning guru), which is...not encouraging in the slightest.

They would be better off sending Stanton to Alex Guerrero and the TB12 cult of personality.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Interviews are pretty helpful for casual fans who don’t engage with the sport as much. Even as someone who follows baseball closely they can be fun and extend the feeling of elation after a win or a really cool play. Yeah the questions asked and quotes given are empty, but occasionally you get something good and it adds to The Narrative, which interests a lot of people.

And even if all a guy has to say about hitting a walkoff is “it was awesome,” that’s better than having nothing for the post game write-up. It wouldn’t surprise me if reporters know almost exactly how someone will answer. They just need the guy to say it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Speaking of Stanton et al...

Reports that I'm hearing have the Yankees Brass totally satisfied with Cressey (their strength & conditioning guru), which is...not encouraging in the slightest.

They would be better off sending Stanton to Alex Guerrero and the TB12 cult of personality.

Old injured players get injured. I have a hard time believing that Cressey or any other guru could do anything about it.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya Stanton in particular has injuries issues with Miami as well. Dude just is a glass man

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

mcmagic posted:

Old injured players get injured. I have a hard time believing that Cressey or any other guru could do anything about it.

To say nothing of Stanton, the Yankees have had a veritable parade of soft-tissue injuries, hamstring pulls, quad pulls, and all the other noncontact injuries you can think of over the last five years. That is the issue I have with Cressey. It isn't just their "over 30" players suffering from these things either.

Also, Stanton was 33 this past season. Not 37 or 39 or 40. He looked like a 60-year old out there.

Legendary Ptarmigan fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 19, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

34 is old for a professional athlete, a pro athlete still performing near peak and playing near full seasons at 37 is ultra rare. Even at 34 it's pretty rare.

e: just picking some guys who were on the WAR leaderboards back 7-8 years ago: Trout is 31 and hasn't been healthy in years, Donaldson had his last good year at 35, Correa is only 29 and played only 135 below average games last year because of his probably terminal foot problems, Votto had a nice renaissance year at 37 but other than that hasn't been Votto since he was 33, McCutchen was done as a good player at 32, Paul Goldschmidt just took a pretty steep dive this year at 35, Jose Abreu cratered at 36, Charlie Blackmon fell off at 34. On the other hand Altuve is 34 and still going strong and Justin Turner is still pretty good with the bat at 38 though he can't field anymore. But those guys are the exceptions. A great power hitter like Stanton dropping off the cliff at 32 is slightly early but only a year or two short of the norm.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 19, 2023

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Braves traded Kyle Wright to the Royals for Jackson Kowar

Pretty good deal for KC long-term if he can be healthy after he comes back from surgery

As a Royals fan I love this so much and it's exactly the sort of trade a 100 loss team should make.

Kowar blew away AAA hitters but has shown little in the majors. He's still got a chance to work out as a reliever but I think he's just not good enough. They traded him for a starter that might be cooked - or might return from injury next year and return to his 21 Win form. Absolutely worth rolling the dice and I"m so glad our front office is willing to take these sorts of chances.

I wish Kowar luck in Atlanta and I hope he can find success in the NL far away from KC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Eric the Mauve posted:

34 is old for a professional athlete, a pro athlete still performing near peak and playing near full seasons at 37 is ultra rare. Even at 34 it's pretty rare.

e: just picking some guys who were on the WAR leaderboards back 7-8 years ago: Trout is 31 and hasn't been healthy in years, Donaldson had his last good year at 35, Correa is only 29 and played only 135 below average games last year because of his probably terminal foot problems, Votto had a nice renaissance year at 37 but other than that hasn't been Votto since he was 33, McCutchen was done as a good player at 32, Paul Goldschmidt just took a pretty steep dive this year at 35, Jose Abreu cratered at 36, Charlie Blackmon fell off at 34. On the other hand Altuve is 34 and still going strong and Justin Turner is still pretty good with the bat at 38 though he can't field anymore. But those guys are the exceptions. A great power hitter like Stanton dropping off the cliff at 32 is slightly early but only a year or two short of the norm.

https://medium.com/@adamsalorio/examining-aging-curves-for-statcast-metrics-18c8c2ac2a4c

This is just one study and some of them differ by a year here or there, but for the most part players generally "peak" somewhere around their age 27-29 seasons, begin to fall off between ages 30-35, and then just absolutely nosedive from there on. Obviously there are exceptions as you've pointed out, but yeah in a vacuum you'd expect a guy who's 34 to be pretty well into his decline.