Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
We must be cautious to preserve the ancient and sacred traditions of national cuisine, passed from generation to generation all the way back to the late 19th century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ChubbyChecker posted:

why would anyone eat them

they are hairy and smelly
Quoting for new page.

:haw:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In Northern Europe a lot of non-chain pizza places are also kebab places where they probably originally thought "hmmm these Europeans don't know what the heck a Kebab is but they love pizza so I better have that on the menu as well"

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

In Northern Europe a lot of non-chain pizza places are also kebab places where they probably originally thought "hmmm these Europeans don't know what the heck a Kebab is but they love pizza so I better have that on the menu as well"

The one near my school did a donner pizza

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

FreudianSlippers posted:

In Germany there were a lot of pure kebab places that were very successful and bought the pizza ovens after they outcompeted the neighbouring pizza place. And then they also offered to put the meat on the pizza.

Mid or up scale kebap places also end up with good ovens because they make their own bread or at least pide. And then they also offer pizza.

For example there is a kebab place near me where they offer calzone "special" with kebab meat, suzuk and joghurt filling that I really want to post in one of the food threads. But they put their normal kebab into amazing freshly baked bread, so I refuse to order anything else.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

This is a good example of a bizarrely erroneous series of maps in which China absorbs Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan which you see from time to time. There's a reddit thread about it here but seems like some missing GIS data in a vector map a decade ago has proliferated this odd world of West Turkistan

edit:

You can see comparing to the original that they seem to have added Georgia back in but are still missing Kaliningrad

tractor fanatic fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 18, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

EasilyConfused posted:

I love Anglo-Franco-Hispanic-American-Chinese food!

You’re still short one.

The crop does Hawai‘i dirty.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

We must be cautious to preserve the ancient and sacred traditions of national cuisine, passed from generation to generation all the way back to the late 19th century.

Italian food is an American invention and so forth. But hákarl, that's done old traditional poo poo.

I have fond memories of Indian places making tandoori Pizza and stuff, but I'm not sure it holds up today. But that's because I'm a fart huffing hipster.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

tractor fanatic posted:

This is a good example of a bizarrely erroneous series of maps in which China absorbs Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan which you see from time to time. There's a reddit thread about it here but seems like some missing GIS data in a vector map a decade ago has proliferated this odd world of West Turkistan

edit:

You can see comparing to the original that they seem to have added Georgia back in but are still missing Kaliningrad

I was not expecting this.

quote:

VectorWorldMap.com is a division of Graphics Factory CC, a company that considers obedience to the will of God its highest obligation.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
politically loaded maps: obedience to God is out highest obligation

Weyd
Nov 26, 2009

Platystemon posted:

You’re still short one.

I'm counting at least three more.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If the god of Abraham wants China to expand westward then who amongst us can argue against?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

steinrokkan posted:

I still maintain we have been too quick to discard the genre of the T-O map

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

i dont think koos has that much power

yet

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

You’re not wrong. My defence is I said normal not not-hypocritical

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ancient dataset though

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Median household income by county.

A lot of this isnt too surprising, but I was surprised just how large the area of high income is around Washington DC. Federal government jobs arent particularly highly compensated, so what drives this? People working for companies who do business with government?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Personally, I'm a little surprised by North Dakota and Utah. I'm guessing oil is involved in the case of the former, and that Salt Lake City has a bigger metro area than I thought, as far as the latter is concerned.

Colorado is one of the most unequal states.

The red clusters seem to correspond with former coal country and the Black Belt, respectively.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Phlegmish posted:

Personally, I'm a little surprised by North Dakota and Utah. I'm guessing oil is involved in the case of the former, and that Salt Lake City has a bigger metro area than I thought, as far as the latter is concerned.

Colorado is one of the most unequal states.

The red clusters seem to correspond with former coal country and the Black Belt, respectively.

One of those Salt Lake City counties is Park City, which is a giant ski resort, and a number of the surrounding counties are also low population with spillover - it's a bit deceptive.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Oh, so that's where New Zealand's been hiding.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

Personally, I'm a little surprised by North Dakota and Utah. I'm guessing oil is involved in the case of the former

I think so too. Looking at this below map, a lot of the dark blue counties in the central US from Texas to North Dakota are oil and gas country. I suspect there are a disproportionate number of well paid households of size 1 that are bringing up the median household income.

(also, it doesnt take too much imagination to guess whats going on in the south)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cheesehead irredentism.

https://twitter.com/DecolonizeKant/status/1725901812731908550

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A Michigan counteroffer has been received:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Send them all back to Canada where they belong

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Send them all back to Canada where they belong

No, thank you.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Finns may rule the world, but the Carpathians are one place they can never go.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Finnish Empire fell because they never figured out contrast to make their documents legible

SlothfulCobra posted:

The Finns may rule the world, but the Carpathians are one place they can never go.

The Finnish-Dracula border conflicts were overshadowed by the Hyperwar, but they weren't insignificant.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Corsica but not Sardinia? why? didn't want to look greedy?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

the head on their flag is mistakenly believed to be a moor when in fact it is a hyperfinn

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Space Kablooey posted:

Corsica but not Sardinia? why? didn't want to look greedy?

Inferred from finnish dominion of france, therefore all of the french heartland.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

SlothfulCobra posted:

Inferred from finnish dominion of france, therefore all of the french heartland.

They're not shown, but both French Guiana and New Caledonia were both integral parts of the Finnish Hyper-Empire.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

I'm the Finnish colonist who skipped southern Italy and Dalmatia and went right to Greece/Constantinople

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

JosefStalinator posted:

I'm the Finnish colonist who skipped southern Italy and Dalmatia and went right to Greece/Constantinople

To be fair there is nothing of worth in Southern Italy or the Balkans

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

It's all good farmland, which the Finns logically decided they have enough of.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

JosefStalinator posted:

I really want to know why they didn’t colonize Doggerland, and how they controlled Finland when it was under 2000 meters of ice. I guess something like the Antarctic civilization in Barjavel’s La Nuit des Temps?

E: apparently huge parts of Finland were underwater in 7000 BC - I guess that’s what ended their civilization, glacial flooding and sea level rise (until post-glacial rebound took it above sea level later). Truly we should invest more in studying that ancient culture to see how we can avoid our civilization collapsing due to sea level rise.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e5/Baltic_History_5000-BC.svg

E2: huh, still rising by 4 mm/yr. I guess the Finns and Swedes are safe to keep pumping CO2 into the atmosphere.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Nov 20, 2023

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Saladman posted:

I really want to know why they didn’t colonize Doggerland, .

too many dogs of course

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

entirely invented islands were believed to exist far longer than I expected. Mainly in the southern ocean.

My tinfoil hat theory is that the cartographers knew the world was mapped besides Antarctica but were holding out hope that maybe one day, they could roll up to some new place, unfurl the flag, and hereby claim this frozen rock as Me Island for [country]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

entirely invented islands were believed to exist far longer than I expected. Mainly in the southern ocean.

My tinfoil hat theory is that the cartographers knew the world was mapped besides Antarctica but were holding out hope that maybe one day, they could roll up to some new place, unfurl the flag, and hereby claim this frozen rock as Me Island for [country]
Archipel Nimrod indeed. Thats me, of course