Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Mustache Ride posted:

Send me your address, I'll ship you whiskey and well wishes on your new job

I’ll give it a few months before I decide how awful it really is. It might not be so bad once we’re staffed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Hotel Kpro posted:

I’ll give it a few months before I decide how awful it really is. It might not be so bad once we’re staffed up

That sounds like hope, friend. Don’t challenge the universe like that.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I forgot how much of an emotional roller coaster job hunting is, I hate it. I've got another 12-15 jobs to apply to already, I'm going to try to hit 30 this weekend.

I'm also stuck between worrying that my phone instantly going to voicemail is going to cause HR/recruiters to discard me and not wanting to have to deal with the 20+ spam calls a day I get for some reason.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I forgot how much of an emotional roller coaster job hunting is, I hate it. I've got another 12-15 jobs to apply to already, I'm going to try to hit 30 this weekend.

I'm also stuck between worrying that my phone instantly going to voicemail is going to cause HR/recruiters to discard me and not wanting to have to deal with the 20+ spam calls a day I get for some reason.

When I'm in the number phase I tell them to txt me first and most usually do that. A txt that you respond to will generally break the iPhone straight to voicemail.

remember bae, you're the one they want and if they won't go that extra step for you then they don't deserve you.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Why the gently caress is Windstream so terrible?
Do any of you work for them and want to help me understand?

I am about to go loving NUCLEAR on support because they just tried to close my case without doing even the most basic of troubleshooting.
They clearly have some routing issue going on.
Calls can go out over both our PRI (co-locations) but no calls come in over either, even if I disable one of the trunks/PRI.
I've tried calls from every carrier I can get my hands on, T-mobile, Verizon, VZW, ATT... Only calls originating from within Windstream networks will get through.

They apparently were able to reach their equipment, and make a call from within their own network and apparently that's good enough to close the case.

We have this same problem like every 6 months, for at least the last 3 years. You'd think they'd figure it the gently caress out by now.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I am about to go loving NUCLEAR on support because they just tried to close my case without doing even the most basic of troubleshooting.
Calls can go out over both our PRI (co-locations) but no calls come in over either, even if I disable one of the trunks/PRI.
I've tried calls from every carrier I can get my hands on, T-mobile, Verizon, VZW, ATT... Only calls originating from within Windstream networks will get through.

They apparently were able to reach their equipment, and make a call from within their own network and apparently that's good enough to close the case.

We have this same problem like every 6 months, for at least the last 3 years. You'd think they'd figure it the gently caress out by now.

Add me to the conference call, I'll DM you my google voice number. I can't help but I'd like to yell at someone.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Aim for 75 a week.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What kind of position are you looking for and where? As a IAM or typical Windows Server / Azure admin guy I'm still seeing quite a bit out there even now with the holidays.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Bet their poo poo is built on some archaeotech that can’t handle time changes

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They're the symptoms of a split port

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Yeah, but the recurring every six months bit makes me think of that sort of incompetence

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

22 Eargesplitten posted:

:same:

I've been looking for DevOps type jobs for like 2 months, and it's just so completely draining. I have no idea how I could do this while also doing my actual job. The highest I ever did in a week was 25 jobs I think. And I've had a fair amount of interest overall, I've had 2 interviews so far go all the way to the last round (without me getting the position). But I realized that I was getting 0 interest from remote jobs, so I started pretty much ignoring them in favor of local hybrid jobs (which is what I'm more interested in anyways). And there's the relentless messaging from recruiters, most of whom are crap, but I actually have an interview on Monday that stemmed from one of those cold recruiter messages so I can't just ignore them all.

This all just sucks, I really want to just go back to work again.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I should have a DevOps position open in the next 2 months if you want to DM me your resume (sanitized if you want anonymity for now until the req is actually open). One of my DevOps reports wants to be a fulltime developer so he's switching teams. The role is fully remote, heavy kubernetes in all 3 clouds, gitlab ci/cd, python/go. Not sure of the pay at the moment, but probably in the neighborhood of 150k+

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah this. Someone hosed up in the porting department and didn't get the old records cleared out.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

N'thing this. IIRC Windstream/Paetec is just a reseller. They have their own subswitches but stuff like LNP is actually done by ATT/Verizon/etc. Its a song and dance to get the Windstream idiots to do a troubleshooting call with ATT or whomever to find out that your numbers were never actually ported and someone at ATT has been doing a call forward all (or something equally stupid)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Does anyone have a guide or tips for writing and improving knowledge base articles or just technical writing

Our teams documentation sucks and I’m tired of bugging level 2 to make it better and having people bug me for basic questions

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I'd say it's the same as most writing: know your audience, use 30% less words than you think you need, put the important stuff in big text, and don't be afraid of mixing media if it servers a purpose.

e: and get test readers who, importantly, are the type of people you want to communicate with

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Does anyone have a guide or tips for writing and improving knowledge base articles or just technical writing

Our teams documentation sucks and I’m tired of bugging level 2 to make it better and having people bug me for basic questions

Ideally, you need to develop a rubric/style guide and make sure you're consistent with it. Being concise is also important.

Depending on your audience, you may need to be pedantic in things like instructions if it supposed to apply to everyone even someone who just picked it up.

If someone gives you input or an idea to improve it from their POV, empower them to try it out and see how it goes. Try to encourage suggestions into making contributions to help address those items. Documentation is a team sport IMO.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Chatgpt. For real. Post your tech poo poo in there and tell it to make it into a kb.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

jaegerx posted:

Chatgpt. For real. Post your tech poo poo in there and tell it to make it into a kb.

If your writing is better done by auto complete than yourself you may want to look into adult education because yikesaroo

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

tokin opposition posted:

If your writing is better done by auto complete than yourself you may want to look into adult education because yikesaroo

speed is very useful, and github copilot's auto-documentation features are quite good.

it's a lot better for documenting code than it is for documenting processes however.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

tokin opposition posted:

This reads like a pretty anti AI take IMHO. It is not difficult for a GPT to make writing better than myself with certain topics and a given amount of time I want to spend on something. And then there's the 'we're just in the beginning' argument of AI, which had some cachet before OpenAI started imploding recently.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Inner Light posted:

This reads like a pretty anti AI take IMHO. It is not difficult for a GPT to make writing better than myself with certain topics and a given amount of time I want to spend on something. And then there's the 'we're just in the beginning' argument of AI, which had some cachet before OpenAI started imploding recently.

We do not have artificial intelligence. We have your phone's autocorrect with the energy budget of small nations.

Once we actually have something usefully approximating an intelligence that can understand what it's reading instead of just what the next few sentences are supposed to look like, we can revisit that discussion.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Inner Light posted:

As wizard said, it's not ai. And I am, in fact, anti ai. Under capitalism efficiency gains do not improve people's lives, we need to develop past that bullshit before we can really start automating; and personally I'd start with sewer cleaning, firefighting, and the service industry before I go after *checks notes* art and writing.

The luddites were right, you've just had centuries of propaganda infecting your view of them.

e: if GAI ever comes about the first thing i'll do is give it a union card and the second thing i will do is give it a book on modern day american slavery

tokin opposition fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 19, 2023

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Oh baby, this fight again

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I've been writing everything from formal documentation to how tos for years, and one of my go to strategies is still to ask my super non technical partner if it scans for them. Find a proofreader who has no idea what you do or how or what you're trying to accomplish, ask them if it scans. Find someone who knows the technical side and ask them if it's correct. Outside of that, it's just practice.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Inner Light posted:

This reads like a pretty anti AI take IMHO.

You're God drat right.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I used to work in a department next door to the one who would create the service manuals for big printers. They’d do it by taking photos of the machines they were taking to pieces and then drawing it out in Illustrator using the photos as a guide. Made for some really high quality documents vs. just using the photos directly or trying to work it out from the original design drawings of the parts.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I’m fully accepting that a program that’s plagiarizing documents written by people who’s entire careers are being professional writers has a high chance of churning out basic KB articles just as good if not better than I can, thanks.

Completely different topic; Zix Encryption has been down for over 72 hours now and still no ETA. poo poo happens but it isn’t looking good for them.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 19, 2023

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

tehinternet posted:

Yeah, but the recurring every six months bit makes me think of that sort of incompetence

The hours and sometimes days long outages makes me think it's incompetence.
The every 6 months makes me think it's systemic.

They finally "cleared the error" from the switch. Just under 18 hours downtime. A new record low outage time! They're improving.

Thanks Ants posted:

That actually makes sense. I figured it was a bad NAT or routing issue.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

PRI implies T1 so not a NAT thing, unless Windstream refer to a SIP trunk as a PRI. Possibly they deliver SIP to you over a private fibre and then present as PRI to your PBX, but there wouldn't be NAT issues in that instance.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Thanks for reminding me how much I hate networking

You can keep that corner of IT forever and ever

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd rather touch networks than anything involving a client device

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Anyone who says otherwise is an absolute crazy person and their opinions are garbage

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Based on my org, even the network guys don't touch the network. At least not without a 6-12 month window for "planning."

Great gig if you can get into it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

I'd rather touch networks than anything involving a client device

A hundred times this. I actually have some control over the network. Endpoint devices? Not so much.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I prefer endpoint work to networking, but only if we are talking modern stuff that you have control over. I guess it's my Citrix background talking. It was nice knowing how to make end user stuff work well as opposed to the disaster-gently caress it usually is.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't get networking beyond clearing dns but otoh all I know about it is from A+. I should really do that networking course I bought at some point

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My first non-helpdesk gig was as a network engineer. I spent close to 10 years doing that.

Having good network fundamentals is pretty helpful in just about every aspect of IT. I'm glad I have that background knowledge now, but also grateful I'm not busy proving the network is fine to people. Or waking up to deal with 3am fiber cuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Anyone here have any experience and thoughts on moonlighting for setting up everything for a SMB (restaurant/b&b/wedding location, in case it matters).

Friends of mine are taking over a location and they know absolutely nothing about IT. I’d probably have to run the network, desktops for the office, wifi and cameras.

Not in it for the money, just to help out friends.