Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Exodor posted:

As a Royals fan I love this so much and it's exactly the sort of trade a 100 loss team should make.

Kowar blew away AAA hitters but has shown little in the majors. He's still got a chance to work out as a reliever but I think he's just not good enough. They traded him for a starter that might be cooked - or might return from injury next year and return to his 21 Win form. Absolutely worth rolling the dice and I"m so glad our front office is willing to take these sorts of chances.

I wish Kowar luck in Atlanta and I hope he can find success in the NL far away from KC.
Yeah I'm not sure if the Braves actually see something in Kowar or that's what the best they were able to get for an injured pitcher

I would be surprised if he ends up being any good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Eric the Mauve posted:

Correa is only 29 and played only 135 below average games last year because of his probably terminal foot problems

The foot problem Correa had last year was plantar fasciitis. It should not be a problem going forward. After the fascia finally snapped and the swelling of that went down, he was great in the postseason.

Unless we're talking about The Worst Ankle In History, which is fine, on the other foot, and has been rocking steady for nearly a decade since its repair.

Plus he still played plus-level defense. I absolutely would not write him off yet. Especially through the duration of his guaranteed contract years.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

There is also the unspoken bugbear that is the fact that injuries are just at an all-time high leaguewide, regardless of the organization. Whether this is because minor injuries are being reported more or coaches are pushing players harder (or a mix of the two, or a Secret Third Thing) is up for debate.

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
I thought Correa had negative defensive value according to most all metrics this past season

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Aaron Nola stays in Philly, $172m/7y

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Sees the Ryan Howard banners at the bank

Dombo: what if we did that for every position?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Wow that's pretty cheap. Feel like he could have gotten a lot more, must have wanted to stay a Philly

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Huh, didnt see this coming

I have no idea if I like this or not, cheaper than I was expecting but still too long maybe

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Good for him for getting paid but also Nola has a pretty intricate, athletic delivery that I'm skeptical he's going to be able to consistently repeat into his mid-to-late 30's, so I suspect the back half of that contract is going to suck massively.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Braves were supposedly in on Nola but I couldn't quite wrap my head around that and apparently he couldn't either

he was about as close as you get to a sure thing in this class though for racking up a decent number of acceptable innings, probably a few seasons left on that arm

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

24M for a solid 2 declining to 3 over the life of the contract is pretty good imo

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
A cheshire grin crosses John Mozeliak's face as one expensive, top target is off the board

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I don't like the deal and wish they just put the cash towards Yamamoto, but the Phillies are allergic to Japanese players for whatever reason so I doubt they're really even interested in him

Quote me when I'm wrong but I expect the team to decline pretty hard, pretty fast, and there are too many other younger teams getting better

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
That's kind of a reasonable or fair deal for him but I also don't think I would have done it either if that makes sense

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Nodoze posted:

That's kind of a reasonable or fair deal for him but I also don't think I would have done it either if that makes sense

Yup, it's more or less exactly how I feel

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
I'd much rather give that deal to Nola than any other FA starter out there.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nola's worth that money if for no other reason that he's consistent and durable

The problem with someone like Snell is you never know what you are going to get. He could be Cy Young caliber or he could be poo poo.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Nola is good but 7 years for a dude that throws 93 seems not ideal.

The AAV is good and the Phillies probably stink in years 5-7 anyway cause they'll be old as poo poo.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Huh, didnt see this coming

I have no idea if I like this or not, cheaper than I was expecting but still too long maybe

always withhold judgment until you find out about the opt outs

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

St Louis Cardinals- We (didn't) tried

https://twitter.com/dgoold/status/1726304610309259706?s=20

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

triple sulk posted:

I don't like the deal and wish they just put the cash towards Yamamoto, but the Phillies are allergic to Japanese players for whatever reason so I doubt they're really even interested in him

Well good news: https://twitter.com/byalexcoffey/status/1726320217138319845?s=20

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

FlamingLiberal posted:

The problem with someone like Snell is you never know what you are going to get. He could be Cy Young caliber or he could be poo poo.

It's really impressive he just took a few years off between Cy Young seasons and I hope he has four seasons of a 4+ ERA then wins his 3rd Cy Young

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

lmao the next several years are going to be so grim if the Cards don't hit on 2 or 3 of their pitching prospects

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mike_V posted:

lmao the next several years are going to be so grim if the Cards don't hit on 2 or 3 of their pitching prospects

they'll be fine, they're always good

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

they'll be fine, they're always good

They had illusory records on account of playing the NL Central for 100 games every year. That buffer is gone now and the penny pinching from ownership is gonna put the conventional wisdom of fans showing up regardless of quality on the field to the test

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I've been hearing for awhile that they are going to trade from their bats to improve their pitching. Not sure if they will be able to get a ton, but they have too many outfielders

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FlamingLiberal posted:

I've been hearing for awhile that they are going to trade from their bats to improve their pitching. Not sure if they will be able to get a ton, but they have too many outfielders

I think the big issue with their OF logjam is that none of them seem to be particularly good? It's a whole mess of 4th OFers.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I will believe that the Cardinals are set up for a bad run when I see it because they've pretty much been good my entire life.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Intruder posted:

Wow that's pretty cheap. Feel like he could have gotten a lot more, must have wanted to stay a Philly

Guaranteed major league contract for Austin Nola incoming.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Inspector_666 posted:

I think the big issue with their OF logjam is that none of them seem to be particularly good? It's a whole mess of 4th OFers.

If they're committed to Jordan Walker in RF then he has the potential to be quite good, and Nootbaar when healthy is a plus player in CF or LF. I think the issue is what kind of return could they get for guys like O'Neill or Burleson. Similar issue with Edman, Gorman, and Donovan with Masyn Winn probably being ready for the bigs.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mike_V posted:

They had illusory records on account of playing the NL Central for 100 games every year. That buffer is gone now and the penny pinching from ownership is gonna put the conventional wisdom of fans showing up regardless of quality on the field to the test

I think we already learned that this year. Stadium was sparse most of the time.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: https://twitter.com/BCB_Sara/status/1726398718667116680

V: lmao

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

FlamingLiberal posted:

This. Replacing someone who can contribute that many innings is hard to do.

So, naturally, he'll have a significant injury in the next year or two.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You're only saying that because he's a pitcher

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Mustached Demon posted:

I think we already learned that this year. Stadium was sparse most of the time.

Yeah the STL area did have a lot of people sent away for their Jan. 6 actions

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Braves are signing Reynaldo Lopez for 3/$30

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Braves are signing Reynaldo Lopez for 3/$30
Weird structure too, $4m in '24, $11m for '25 and '26, then a club option for '27 at $8m vs. $4m buyout. I guess for luxury tax reasons?

Mark Bowman speculates he could see some use as a starter.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Weird structure too, $4m in '24, $11m for '25 and '26, then a club option for '27 at $8m vs. $4m buyout. I guess for luxury tax reasons?

Mark Bowman speculates he could see some use as a starter.
Not how the luxury tax works. Tax hit for contracts is based on AAV of guaranteed money, specifically so teams can't to weird contract poo poo to game the system.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Enough naysaying. John mozeliak may not have been interested in trying to sign Aaron Nola but he decided to roll out the big bucks and sign lance Lynn to a one year deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Enough naysaying. John mozeliak may not have been interested in trying to sign Aaron Nola but he decided to roll out the big bucks and sign lance Lynn to a one year deal

lol had to check if this was a joke or not