Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
idk if I'm just lucky, but I have this place called Office Furniture Outlet of Virginia or OFOVA in Norfolk VA that's just like a used office equipment outlet store with tons of $200 humanscale/steelcase/hermanmiller/other hugely expensive brands, that offices will dump on them in huge quantities, got my leap v2 in green there and it's been good, I can't be the only one with one of these near me, Virginia sucks rear end

that said you might have to worry about the chair being possessed apparently lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Virginia makes sense due to the massive amount of government office buildings you guys have.

The closest Office Liquidator place was like four hours away from me. Everything else on CL and other poo poo was like huge wooden desks if I wanted to pretend I was an old Oil Magnate or something.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Got the gaming embody today to potentially replace my leap V2 which I've started to hate after 3 years. Seems pretty comfortable so far but we shall see how I fare during the workweek.

Whats the consensus on headrests for the embody? I don't think one is needed for normal sitting but it seems like it could be comfy when reclined. The atlas one seems interesting since it appears you can push it back and out of the way when not needed.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Nohearum posted:

Whats the consensus on headrests for the embody?
No.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Nohearum posted:

Got the gaming embody today to potentially replace my leap V2 which I've started to hate after 3 years. Seems pretty comfortable so far but we shall see how I fare during the workweek.

Whats the consensus on headrests for the embody? I don't think one is needed for normal sitting but it seems like it could be comfy when reclined. The atlas one seems interesting since it appears you can push it back and out of the way when not needed.

To each their own, I'm eyeing the Atlas conversion for my Fern. During my research I came across another Embody headrest manufacturer.

https://www.officelogixshop.com/collections/embody-chair-parts/products/embody-headrest

They also have a youtube channel if it helps.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Nohearum posted:

Why did you end up hating your Leap?

Steelcase is really the only option available to me locally as far as decent chairs go and online ordering of such expensive chairs isn't something I want to do as return shipping is likely to be absurdly expensive for me. A Leap seemed like the chair mostly likely to be in my future.

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

Posting from an embody gaming chair. Feel’s comfortable and make’s me want to play video game’s

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Amnomia posted:

Posting from an embody gaming chair. Feel’s comfortable and make’s me want to play video game’s
critical support for the Short Bus Embody Crew

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Amnomia posted:

The em'body

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Elem7 posted:

Why did you end up hating your Leap?

Steelcase is really the only option available to me locally as far as decent chairs go and online ordering of such expensive chairs isn't something I want to do as return shipping is likely to be absurdly expensive for me. A Leap seemed like the chair mostly likely to be in my future.

I honestly loved it at first (minus the crooked frame that they eventually replaced) but for the last year I've just felt like I can't relax when sitting in that chair. Hard to describe in words but I've found long days to be fatiguing.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Nohearum posted:

I honestly loved it at first (minus the crooked frame that they eventually replaced) but for the last year I've just felt like I can't relax when sitting in that chair. Hard to describe in words but I've found long days to be fatiguing.
hrmmm… might i suggest the Herman Miller Embody (non-gamer edition)?

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

TenementFunster posted:

hrmmm… might i suggest the Herman Miller Embody (non-gamer edition)?

this sound's like a good suggestion, OP.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
So my trusty chair of about a decade is finally starting to give up the ghost and I was about to pull the trigger on a Secretlab Titan but apparently that's the wrong play? What's the ideal option if weight limit is a concern?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.btod.com/blog/best-big-tall-office-chairs/

I went off their reviews in deciding to purchase my Fern. That list could probably be a decent start in your research.

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

So my trusty chair of about a decade is finally starting to give up the ghost and I was about to pull the trigger on a Secretlab Titan but apparently that's the wrong play? What's the ideal option if weight limit is a concern?

check out herman miller embody (gamers edition).

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

now on sale at 25% off at ur local herman miller store https://www.hermanmiller.com

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

What's the ideal option if weight limit is a concern?

how much weight specifically? any of the general common recommendations will handle at least 300lbs

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

repiv posted:

how much weight specifically? any of the general common recommendations will handle at least 300lbs

let me tell you, as someone that weighs at least 300 lbs, the herman miller embody (gamers edition) is a great deal. now 25% off at ur local herman miller store https://www.hermanmiler.com

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved
What's the general consensus on a Steelcase Gesture + headrest for someone 6'4", 230 lbs whose body has slowly given way from fit to fat?

Missus swiped the Embody while she's at school for a bit, so I'm relegated to this Mirra 2, which maybe 15 years ago and an rear end that could fire billiard balls didn't bother me as much.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

John Murdoch posted:

What's the ideal option if weight limit is a concern?
diet and cardiovascular exercise

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

TenementFunster posted:

same. as an alternative check out herman miller embody gaming chair now on sale 25% off https://www.hermanmiler.com

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

TenementFunster posted:

:sbahj:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Amnomia posted:

let me tell you, as someone that weighs at least 300 lbs, the herman miller embody (gamers edition) is a great deal. now 25% off at ur local herman miller store https://www.hermanmiler.com

Having just carried an Embody up a flight of stairs, I am confident that it could support a Homo Sapien Sapien of well over 300 lbs, as I am reasonably certain that it weighs over 300 lbs itself.

This is a testament to the quality of the build.

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

Zarin posted:

Having just carried an Embody up a flight of stairs, I am confident that it could support a Homo Sapien Sapien of well over 300 lbs, as I am reasonably certain that it weighs over 300 lbs itself.

This is a testament to the quality of the build.

same. as a homo sapien sapien of well over 300 lbs, i too, can also reasonably proclaim that the herman miller embody (gamers editions) can support well over 300 lbs (comfortably).

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I like the Gesture more than the uncomfortable icky Embody. I'm 6'1-6'2 depending on whose measuring and how straight I'm standing, 205 pounds.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 15, 2023

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

John Murdoch posted:

This thread’s taken an irritating turn towards only giving troll replies lately, but any ‘gaming’ chair, especially one styled to look like a racing bucket seat, is a piece of poo poo that will quickly disintegrate. Literally any other office chair is going to be a better option than that.

What’s your budget here? You can easily spend four figures on a high-end office chair, and I personally would say they’re worth the money if disposable income allows, but there are definitely options available at lower price points if not.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Is the flexing noise that the embody makes really obnoxious? I can’t try one in person and I’ve found several videos where they said they sent it back for that reason. I’m down to the Leap, Fern and the Embody but I’m having trouble deciding.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

DoctorTristan posted:

This thread’s taken an irritating turn towards only giving troll replies lately, but any ‘gaming’ chair, especially one styled to look like a racing bucket seat, is a piece of poo poo that will quickly disintegrate. Literally any other office chair is going to be a better option than that.

What’s your budget here? You can easily spend four figures on a high-end office chair, and I personally would say they’re worth the money if disposable income allows, but there are definitely options available at lower price points if not.

I was mostly serious :(

The Gunslinger posted:

Is the flexing noise that the embody makes really obnoxious? I can’t try one in person and I’ve found several videos where they said they sent it back for that reason. I’m down to the Leap, Fern and the Embody but I’m having trouble deciding.

I notice it for about 5 minutes every time someone brings it up and then immediately forget about/stop noticing it until the next time it's mentioned again :v:

I'll admit that I'm generally oblivious to those sorts of environmental noises, though. I'm sure someone who is sensitive to that sort of thing has a very different opinion.

I suspect if it was an issue with a new chair, one could get a HM tech to come out on a warranty call and get the chair lubricated into silence.

full point
Jan 21, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

The pixel matrix. You get used to it. I don't even hear the chair - all I hear is wind, rain, silence.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

DoctorTristan posted:

I mean, I'd ideally prefer to not have to spend four figures, but clearly getting anything reliable for less than that is a crapshoot. What's the point in paying 500-600 if it lasts half as long as a chair for double the price, yeah?

The list Jiro posted has been useful, though the tricky part is that I'm not exactly a wide load like some of them are designed for. My current chair is a little under 20 inches and it's a bit snug if I really Sit in it, but I don't need a gigantic 26 inch seat. The Concept Seating 3152HR's specs are overkill for me, but the features are all the type of stuff I want and it looks like the sort of chair that'll properly last so that's what I'm currently considering.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
So I know lovely plastic wheels can damage a floor, but has anyone here ever seen urethane wheels destroy a floor? My basement has some kind of plastic stuff laid down over concrete, and it's started breaking all apart where the front wheels of my chair sit. I don't know if I should be blaming the chair or the minor flooding we had down here a few months back.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
If a 20” / 500mm width is feeling snug then you may be forced to look at bariatric chairs like the list posted above.

As a very rough guideline a typical mid-tier office chair can usually cope up to 110kg / 250lbs. The high end chairs are usually a bit more robust and are fine up to around 160kg / 350lbs. If those numbers sound like they might be a problem then bariatric chairs are your only real option, and unfortunately they come in at a premium.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

John Murdoch posted:

I mean, I'd ideally prefer to not have to spend four figures, but clearly getting anything reliable for less than that is a crapshoot. What's the point in paying 500-600 if it lasts half as long as a chair for double the price, yeah?

Arguably, the "double-the-price" chairs will last much, MUCH longer than twice as long as the cheaper chairs. (This is where I pull out the anecdote about having worked in jobs where I routinely preferred the ancient Steelcase/HM option floating around the office/shop to the newer budget-branded chairs that were available.)

John Murdoch posted:

The list Jiro posted has been useful, though the tricky part is that I'm not exactly a wide load like some of them are designed for. My current chair is a little under 20 inches and it's a bit snug if I really Sit in it, but I don't need a gigantic 26 inch seat. The Concept Seating 3152HR's specs are overkill for me, but the features are all the type of stuff I want and it looks like the sort of chair that'll properly last so that's what I'm currently considering.

Not going to ask for specifics, but I'll share that at slightly under 6' (the actual measurement is a hotly-contested point between my wife and I), I was pushing 320lbs at one point and the Embody always felt quite roomy to me. (Male, for reference; I know that can matter for these sorts of things).

Amusingly, shortly before I purchased my Cosm I was sorely, SORELY tempted to order a Concept Seating 3156HR, try it out, and then send it back within the 30-day window. Just because I desperately wanted to see how it felt - iirc this is the one with the product literature that looks like the seat has some sort of spring suspension system going on in there. Ultimately I decided not to gamble with $3k and the cost of return shipping on a whim like that, though. :v:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Well that's a mystery solved. This whole time I've been flying blind because I got my current chair (and its long gone twin) like 15+ years ago secondhand and never figured out what brand/model they were. Turns out I've got a Steelcase Leap V1. I figured it was a $1k~ chair given the build quality and lifespan and sure enough.

The seat is certainly still a bit small, but my biggest issue is the lumbar/recline mechanism arms connect on the inside of the arm rests and they pinch my hips. Without those in a way I'd be instantly more comfortable. I've had some other issues with the chairs as well that make me leery to just buy a new V2 outright, but at least it's a lot easier to compare and contrast with what's out there.

And with that research came the revelation that maybe my Leap isn't quite so ready to kick the bucket as I thought. The main problem it's developed is that the cylinder seems to have grown overly loose and creaky, probably from catching on my floor mat too often. I assume down at the legs rather than up at the seat pan. Actually looking up info on this is is frustratingly difficult because you get a million hits from people asking about the seat itself wobbling. I have no idea if popping the cylinder out and reseating it would help or if there's some way to cushion or lubricate it a bit or what. Or maybe I could just replace everything from the cylinder down for like a hundred bucks.

I'm also kicking myself because what killed the previous Leap was the cylinder died and I didn't realize how comparatively cheap and easy it is to replace those without junking the whole goddamn chair.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 16, 2023

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

John Murdoch posted:

Well that's a mystery solved. This whole time I've been flying blind because I got my current chair (and its long gone twin) like 15+ years ago secondhand and never figured out what brand/model they were. Turns out I've got a Steelcase Leap V1. I figured it was a $1k~ chair given the build quality and lifespan and sure enough.

The seat is certainly still a bit small, but my biggest issue is the lumbar/recline mechanism arms connect on the inside of the arm rests and they pinch my hips. Without those in a way I'd be instantly more comfortable. I've had some other issues with the chairs as well that make me leery to just buy a new V2 outright, but at least it's a lot easier to compare and contrast with what's out there.

And with that research came the revelation that maybe my Leap isn't quite so ready to kick the bucket as I thought. The main problem it's developed is that the cylinder seems to have grown overly loose and creaky, probably from catching on my floor mat too often. I assume down at the legs rather than up at the seat pan. Actually looking up info on this is is frustratingly difficult because you get a million hits from people asking about the seat itself wobbling. I have no idea if popping the cylinder out and reseating it would help or if there's some way to cushion or lubricate it a bit or what. Or maybe I could just replace everything from the cylinder down for like a hundred bucks.

I'm also kicking myself because what killed the previous Leap was the cylinder died and I didn't realize how comparatively cheap and easy it is to replace those without junking the whole goddamn chair.

I had a Leap (dunno which version) at one job for a couple years and I wasn't impressed. Not a bad chair; just didn't strike me as overly great either though.

That being said, if you like the chair, hell yeah! Pretty much all the top-end chairs can be rebuilt pretty easily, and the really popular ones have a boatload of OEM parts manufacturers floating around out there if you don't want to pay the Name Brand Tax on replacement parts.

If you're somewhat handy or at least inquisitive, see if you can't find where the loose-ness is coming from. Depending on the answer, you could always try and see if a few homebrew shims made out of folded paper don't make the problem go away before tossing some dollars at a new cylinder.

Edit: Alternatively, now that you know what you have, see if there aren't any used ones floating around that you couldn't pick up for dirt cheap and cannibalize for parts.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Aye, as part of my searching it seems like there's a little pocket industry for replacement parts and refurbished chairs. Same place selling the parts was also selling my exact chair, refurbed, for like $500 which is admittedly tempting. Replacement arm rest pads also caught my eye, because those are the first things to go on the Leap in my experience.

I don't really love the chair, but you spend a decade+ sitting in one and you get used to it, y'know? But realistically I oughta get something a bit bigger and better made. At the moment I'm really more concerned with having a chair that provably works than anything else, though.

I'm also annoyed because BTOD has a combined page for the 3150HR and 3152HR which only lists the specs for the former. One of the other sellers of the 52 gives specs (with the option of custom short or tall cylinders) that make the seat sound way too tall both for my legs and my desk by default. Meanwhile a different one implies it has a completely normal height. Concept Seating themselves say the height is variable based on the cylinder. So I dunno if I'm gonna have to play games with a custom order or what. Guess bare minimum I'll try asking BTOD about it. Worst case scenario the 3150 is still a marked improvement, but if I'm already spending the money I'd love to get everything right.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 16, 2023

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

John Murdoch posted:

Aye, as part of my searching it seems like there's a little pocket industry for replacement parts and refurbished chairs. Same place selling the parts was also selling my exact chair, refurbed, for like $500 which is admittedly tempting. Replacement arm rest pads also caught my eye, because those are the first things to go on the Leap in my experience.

I don't really love the chair, but you spend a decade+ sitting in one and you get used to it, y'know? But realistically I oughta get something a bit bigger and better made. At the moment I'm really more concerned with having a chair that provably works than anything else, though.

I'm also annoyed because BTOD has a combined page for the 3150HR and 3152HR which only lists the specs for the former. One of the other sellers of the 52 gives specs (with the option of custom short or tall cylinders) that make the seat sound way too tall both for my legs and my desk by default. Meanwhile a different one implies it has a completely normal height. Concept Seating themselves say the height is variable based on the cylinder. So I dunno if I'm gonna have to play games with a custom order or what. Guess bare minimum I'll try asking BTOD about it. Worst case scenario the 3150 is still a marked improvement, but if I'm already spending the money I'd love to get everything right.

BTOD is just a boutique OfficeMax (I mean they're a lot more than that but the one dude looks like a dork so I'm leaving it here).

If I were in your shoes? I'd call Concept Seating directly and annoy anyone and everyone until they connected me with someone possessing an encyclopedic knowledge of the products and get the answer directly from them. I mean, it's a $3k chair, they can afford to have someone on staff who knows more about chairs than my kid knows about MineCraft :v:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Well, in this case it's merely the $2000 one. :v: But yeah bugging them wouldn't hurt either.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
I'm sure this isn't the case for everyone, but I have had a bad experience with refurbed chairs which is why I'm waiting on the delivery of my brand new Ferns.
I bought a refurbed aeron for £500, in the 12 month warranty period one of the arms fell off and customer service was great and sent me a replacement screw to fix it. In the 2 years since the other arm has fallen off, the lumbar support pad has broken off on one side, the height piston has broken and slowly lowers throughout the day, and the plastic at the back of the seat has snapped meaning I need to sit on a cushion to avoid stabbing myself with the sharp plastic.
Just a word of warning that the refurbed chair may be equally as comfortable but may not last nearly as long as a brand new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

TenementFunster posted:

Naw.

Cocaine by itself should do the trick.