Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

pwn posted:

Probably something about the interpositive that's superior to the negative.

Ok, reading the Wiki on them, it makes more sense. But then it raises the question why WB always insists on the camera negative being used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

zer0spunk posted:

Cemetary man is going to be $55 according to severin. Not jazzed, they know people would go for a $25 standard without the cd and booklet so naturally that's not an option.

Jesus, I was half kidding about the goofy accessories CM package but they done did it. Snowglobe, soundtrack, shirts, autographs. Good god.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Ok, reading the Wiki on them, it makes more sense. But then it raises the question why WB always insists on the camera negative being used.

Probably a money thing

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

just checked the severin site but it seems we can't buy it yet? are you all getting that from some tweet?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

abelwingnut posted:

just checked the severin site but it seems we can't buy it yet? are you all getting that from some tweet?

https://severinpolicies.com

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Yeah not stoked about the price but I’m going for it regardless. I want Cemetery Man in 4K.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Every single post you make, every single one, I sit here and say “how on earth does he know all this poo poo”

Like, you’ll make an off the cuff post and say something like “here’s the 27 specific movies from Arrow’s UK exclusive library that only had a single printing and are also 1.85:1 aspect ratio” or “the color timing on the German edition of this obscure movie from 1963 is off in the Kino Lorber, release, make sure you buy the Australian one instead” as if you know all this off the top of your head and just have the information at your fingertips and I am left in absolute awe of your knowledge and talents and I just want to drop to my knees and praise Christ Almighty that you take the time to impart your wisdom on us mere mortals in this thread on these dead gay forums.

No hyperbole, you are a mind-blowing genius savant on this poo poo, and if you are not being paid Real Money to be a professional cinema archivist/historian/preservationist then your talents are loving wasted.

Thanks, it's just my weird semi-autistic brain that's able to retain this poo poo and I've loved everything about home video for the last few decades.

abelwingnut posted:

i just assumed their job was something heavily involved in film distribution. even then, yea, their knowledge is nuts.

Really wish I was, but I work in an unrelated field. (I wouldn't turn down something in archival stuff if it were offered to me)

Big Mac posted:

These releases and boxes are definitely cool, but how in the hell am I supposed to fit them on my shelf

The Columbia Classics boxes aren't nearly as bulky as you'd think. Slightly taller and wider than the Shawscope boxes and about twice as deep. The films are in regular cases, so one could just put them in storage while putting the films on your shelf. Though, the book that's include with each one is really nice, with extensive restoration/remastering notes.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Now that I was pointed to the right thread because I'm a doofus...

I was reading a review of the Batman Begins UHD and came up on this:

Why would Nolan, or any director for that matter, order them to not use the camera negative for the transfer?

Nolan prefers using interpositives because all the color timing is baked in and doesn't have to be re-done from scratch since he doesn't do digital intermediates. Another reason is likely that an interpositive will accurately replicate the look of a mint 70mm print in terms of grain structure. A lot of older films have to have some filtering applied because stuff starts to show up that never would have been visible in original prints because nobody projects a camera negative. Obviously not a concern for a newer film, but there's not really any quality loss from not using the camera negative. I believe Paul Thomas Anderson prefers to do the same for his films.

Xenomrph posted:

Is the 4K release of Dr Strangelove worth it for $12? The review for it on Blu-ray.com is super high. I’ve got the Criterion Blu-ray but I’ve got trouble figuring out what (if any) supplementals carry over between the Criterion blu and the 4K.

Sony's Dr. Strangelove UHD is 100% identical to the Criterion in terms of on-disc content, down to having both mono and 5.1 mixes and all the extras. All you miss from Criterion's release is the nifty "Plan R" folder with the essay and notes. The Blu-ray is identical to the original Sony disc.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 18, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
If I ever run a film archive or bluray label Egbert is my first hire

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Egbert Souse posted:

Nolan prefers using interpositives because all the color timing is baked in and doesn't have to be re-done from scratch since he doesn't do digital intermediates. Another reason is likely that an interpositive will accurately replicate the look of a mint 70mm print in terms of grain structure. A lot of older films have to have some filtering applied because stuff starts to show up that never would have been visible in original prints because nobody projects a camera negative. Obviously not a concern for a newer film, but there's not really any quality loss from not using the camera negative. I believe Paul Thomas Anderson prefers to do the same for his films.

That makes a lot of sense, he locks in the original color timing thus preventing the ridiculous series of changed color timings we see with some films over the length of their home video existence.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

MacheteZombie posted:

If I ever run a film archive or bluray label Egbert is my first hire

And when you open that boutique you better take requests from the thread to make our obscure release dreams come true! :colbert:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Planning an elaborate heist to steal masters of Freaked and Freddy Got Fingered

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

My boutique label would specialize mostly in shorts, animation, and experimental films.

Kind of shocks me how little 20th century NFB Canada material is on Blu-ray. Pretty much all of it are extras on Canadian International Pictures releases, outside of their Buster Keaton Rides Again/The Railrodder release.

As for avant-garde, I'll hold onto the Treasures from American Film Archives DVD sets as long as I can because a lot of films haven't surfaced yet.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Finally, someone who will make sure Interstella 5555 gets the boutique treatment it deserves and will also make sure it stays in print. :mad:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Starting a boutique film label just to give the world the freddie got fingered directors cut.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://x.com/cerealmidnight/status/1724791802287534209?s=46

Yes yes yes

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:sickos:

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Egbert Souse posted:

My boutique label would specialize mostly in shorts, animation, and experimental films.

Kind of shocks me how little 20th century NFB Canada material is on Blu-ray. Pretty much all of it are extras on Canadian International Pictures releases, outside of their Buster Keaton Rides Again/The Railrodder release.

As for avant-garde, I'll hold onto the Treasures from American Film Archives DVD sets as long as I can because a lot of films haven't surfaced yet.

As a Canadian myself I’d LOVE to see that stuff hit blu. If you ever hit the lottery that’s an idea to run with!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Vinegar syndrome was already taken, so I’m going to name my boutique distributor Nitrate Fire

or Rusty Can

Edit: Moldy Reel

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 18, 2023

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

i'm getting tired of sony; they cycle between locked to a set, only available in a steelbook so it can be 10-15 higher msrp, re-released with og audio and a dolby layer

just an absolute bunch of jerks who run the home video dept.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Sorta Highbrow Films

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Oh man, northern exposure on blu ray in December? Good thing I kept waffling on buying the dvd set.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

PinkoBastard posted:

As a Canadian myself I’d LOVE to see that stuff hit blu. If you ever hit the lottery that’s an idea to run with!

Off the top of my head, I'd do:

Norman McLaren: Complete works box set plus a selection of films by his collaborators. I'd include the two 3D shorts he made in both anaglyphic and polarized (as seen on 3D Rarities). Extensive book, plus a CD of his synthetic sound compositions. Could probably fit onto four Blu-rays plus the CD.

Bill Mason: All his NFB works. I just love how chill his outdoor stuff is. Most people only have seen Paddle to the Sea, but even his later stuff like Waterwalker are wonderful. Three Blu-ray set.

Arthur Lipsett: All his work, plus documentaries would fit on a single disc.

Classic Animation: Probably a 4-disc set of 1940s-1990s shorts that has all the well-known stuff like The Cat Came Back, The Big Snit, Notes on a Triangle, etc.

Classic Documentaries: Another 4-disc set of documentaries like Universe, Ladies and Gentlemen: Leonard Cohen, In the Labyrinth, etc.

Some of the experimental film artists I'd love to do releases of would be Stan Vanderbeek, Bruce Conner, Len Lye, Joseph Cornell, George Landow (Owen Land), and Standish Lawder. Among others. For that matter, I'm surprised we never got a US release of the Kenneth Anger Magick Lantern Cycle - just the Fantoma DVDs and UK BFI Blu-ray. In fact, I'd probably take a risk and do the Magick Lantern Cycle as a UHD release.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

And when you open that boutique you better take requests from the thread to make our obscure release dreams come true! :colbert:

If Fall of the House of Usher, Hush, and Midnight Mass (as well as seasons 3 and 4 of Stranger things physical happen) don’t get released I’ll be upset. Also, a 4k of Wonder Boys. (Happy we finally got a blue ray).

Also all of little bear on Blu ray, and the new adventures of Jonny Quest.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Vinegar syndrome was already taken, so I’m going to name my boutique distributor Nitrate Fire

or Rusty Can

Edit: Moldy Reel

Final Cut Studios

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Finally, someone who will make sure Interstella 5555 gets the boutique treatment it deserves and will also make sure it stays in print. :mad:

No, no. What the fans want is a version of Random Access Memories with no drums

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Egbert Souse posted:

Really wish I was, but I work in an unrelated field. (I wouldn't turn down something in archival stuff if it were offered to me)

Unacceptable, you should be actively applying and campaigning to be hired somewhere, and anyone that turns you down is a loving moron and worse off for it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Now that we're finally getting The Abyss and True Lies on 4K/Blu-ray, what are everyone's remaining titles needing to make the jump from DVD (or even VHS/LD)?

My main stragglers are...

Around the World in 80 Days '56 - Very likely coming from Warner Archive in 2024 and it's the last Best Picture winner they own not on at least Blu-ray.

And Now for Something Completely Different - This was restored a few years ago, but still MIA. Sony was apparently going to do 4Ks of Holy Grail and Life of Brian, so maybe Criterion has these three for a collection?

The Testament of Dr. Mabuse - No idea why Criterion has sat on this for so long when the UK got a Blu-ray years ago.

Shadow of the Vampire - Another puzzling omission. Was hoping this was among the titles Lionsgate licensed to Kino Lorber, but wasn't.

Mr. Arkadin/Confidential Report - Last Welles film needing a Blu-ray upgrade and Criterion's DVD is out of print. (For that matter, where the hell is The Other Side of the Wind?)

Remaining Hitchcocks - Criterion allegedly has all of the remaining unreleased-to-Blu Hitchcock films except for Mr. & Mrs. Smith (which Warner Archive is working on).

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Now that we're finally getting The Abyss and True Lies on 4K/Blu-ray, what are everyone's remaining titles needing to make the jump from DVD (or even VHS/LD)?

I was going to post Party Girl (1995) but apparently that came out this year???

I'll say Star Wars theatrical versions.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
There's weird omissions from big directors such as Bringing Out The Dead, A Simple Plan, Panic Room.

Sure there's a bunch more.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Egbert Souse posted:

What About Bob? is a big one for me. Only ever had a non-anamorphic release, and I think it's one of the best comedies of that era. Also The Village could use a blu.

Fear, Anxiety, and Depression I'm surprised hasn't seen a VHS transfer blu-ray release from one of the VS sister labels or something (since I doubt there's a film print of it to use). And of course Happiness needs a blu-ray.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Now that Cemetery Man is getting a release, big omissions for me are Marat/Sade or Titus. Twilight Time released a limited Titus blu a few years ago, now OOP, but it was the same decades old scan that was struck for the original DVD. Doubt it'll ever happen since it's owned by Disney now. I think Marat/Sade is owned by Amazon due to the MGM acquisition. No clue what their restoration/physical media plans are with the MGM/UA catalog. Probably nothing. Other than that, maybe Noe's I Stand Alone. I think it's still owned by Strand in the US, so good luck w that. Noe hinted at new 4K scans a couple years ago, but no news since.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I Stand Alone was shot on 16mm, not sure what good a 4k scan would do... but please do hurry up with a decent release

codyclarke posted:

What About Bob? is a big one for me. Only ever had a non-anamorphic release, and I think it's one of the best comedies of that era. Also The Village could use a blu.

Fear, Anxiety, and Depression I'm surprised hasn't seen a VHS transfer blu-ray release from one of the VS sister labels or something (since I doubt there's a film print of it to use). And of course Happiness needs a blu-ray.

And Storytelling

pwn fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 19, 2023

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Asking in here, since I just got a new TV and a PS5 and am going 4K yessir.

Are movies really meant to be watched in full warm color? TCL ones have it set all the way on the warm side in Movie mode, and I've read that somewhere as well.

On my last TV I usually had it in the middle on "normal" between warm and cool. And I feel like maybe somewhere between warm and normal might be good too. I don't mind a full warm setting, it reminds me of the yellow light night mode I've often used anyway, but are white colors really intended to be that yellow in all movies as the base?

And what do you go with?

Also, do you tend to disable stuff like noise reduction or leave that on? Movie mode has those set to medium for example. Do have the motion ones turned off, although the Natural Cinema setting sounds interesting (adds one frame so there's less stuttering in 24p sources on 60hz I hear etc). Although hard to tell if it works.

I guess general TV tips from the movie buffs.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Nov 19, 2023

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
First, I don't know your TV, or even TVs in general beyond the few I've personally used. I can only offer my perspective as a photographer. To that end...

I shoot a photo, digital for the sake of simplicity, though the same basic idea applies to film. I take the raw file, which has a lot more colour information than a final output file like jpg, and, on my desktop, edit it to look how I want it to look. I can easily adjust the white balance, the contrast, and so on. When I'm done, I output it as a jpg and archive the raw file.

If I take that jpg and send it to my iPhone, and edit the jpg in there, moving the sliders around, I can change how it looks, but it's not the original so there is a lot less information to pull from. It's going to look worse than if I had just edited that way from the raw file.

For motion pictures, colour grading (white balance) is how a filmmaker determines, in what is effectively the raw stage of editing, how the film looks, and that may be warm, it may be cool, it may alternate back and forth. There is a huge spectrum on the colour grading scale.

All of that has nothing to do with a setting on a consumer display. If you have it set to Warm, then you're editing and changing how a film looks and feels, and on top of that, it will look weird because it's wasn't designed to be edited like that. If you have it set to Oops! All Cool, it won't look right. Leave it at neutral to see films the way they were meant to be seen (at least as I understand it... again, I'm not an expert on displays).

Second, fundamentally, it's your TV, do what you want with it. All that matters is you're happy. (But you are objectively Wrong and Bad if you use those goofy presets!!)

Edit: This colour business is exactly what was being discussed up thread with Nolan and Batman and him wanting to use the interpositive over the negative. Going back to still photography, he's making Warner Bros use his final edited jpg rather than going back to the raw file because he doesn't trust them not to gently caress it up and he already did it right the first time.

pwn fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Nov 19, 2023

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
It really depends on your TV. Google the type of TV you have along with how to calibrate it. What's listed as "Warm2" on one TV could be different from another make and model, and in my case is definitely the most "correct" looking.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Expert1 is essentially Warm2 on Sony TV's and what's usually recommended for theatrical replication at home (speaking from experience with my Sony OLED, I'm not sure about TCL).

Also that "True Cinema" setting that adds the extra frames for less judder... nah that's just glorified motion smoothing. Take that poo poo off. Also take off the Reality Creation setting as it could make backgrounds look really fake.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Movies are typically edited/color corrected on professional monitors calibrated to the D65 standard for white, which will make for a much warmer color temperature than "standard mode" on consumer TVs. Most of the time, TV "movie mode" presets are closer to that standard, at least when it comes to color temp, as well as better brightness/gamma levels. It's a good starting point, but you'll still prob need to choose a warmer setting in the temp options, you'll need to turn down sharpness, turn off that bullshit motion smoothing, turn off dnr, etc. Newer TVs now sometimes have a "filmmaker mode" preset which does everything to get you as close as possible to the standard without manual tweaking and also turns off all the other adulterations too, so if you have a TV with that, it's prob the best choice.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Egbert Souse posted:

My main stragglers are...

Around the World in 80 Days '56 - Very likely coming from Warner Archive in 2024 and it's the last Best Picture winner they own not on at least Blu-ray.

And Now for Something Completely Different - This was restored a few years ago, but still MIA. Sony was apparently going to do 4Ks of Holy Grail and Life of Brian, so maybe Criterion has these three for a collection?

The Testament of Dr. Mabuse - No idea why Criterion has sat on this for so long when the UK got a Blu-ray years ago.

Shadow of the Vampire - Another puzzling omission. Was hoping this was among the titles Lionsgate licensed to Kino Lorber, but wasn't.

Mr. Arkadin/Confidential Report - Last Welles film needing a Blu-ray upgrade and Criterion's DVD is out of print. (For that matter, where the hell is The Other Side of the Wind?)

Remaining Hitchcocks - Criterion allegedly has all of the remaining unreleased-to-Blu Hitchcock films except for Mr. & Mrs. Smith (which Warner Archive is working on).

I would love for milestone to license the 4k scan of yo soy cuba they've been holding hostage for a few years now.

I would love if sony decided to let people buy their films without dumb hurdles so I could own taxi driver, run lola run, etc etc. There's a good dozen things trapped in box sets I would buy without hesitation

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Egbert Souse posted:

Clara Bow's It from 1927. It's a shame her most known work's best version is on an out of print Kino DVD from ages ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Egbert Souse posted:

i suspect a 4K release of Grail is in the near future- it's getting a 2-night theatrical rerelease at the start of December for its "48 & 1/2" anniversary, which is probably going to be used to advertise for UHD copies