Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Me, charging into any thread ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Lame Selfie Bee

loving Nancy

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Last time, on
28TH CENTURY SUPERFAN
And now: the conclusion

Second panel of the day calling me out :ohdear:

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Fortis posted:

W.. why does Dr. Bunny have a Furby face in this one?

She's wearing a balaclava while she's stalking the tiger bros.

Captain Hygiene posted:

All he needs are the knives!

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 30: Insignificant Pawn

The closer you get to death, the more you appreciate simplicity.

Japan Tengu Party Illustrated chapter 23: Of Toshinori

Mostly visuals in this set so I thought I'd let it run a little longer.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Lavender Jack

"You know, on second thought I'd rather be bludgeoned to death by Tarzan" is an appropriate reaction to the prospect of dealing with Gall.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

The rare “double reverse ghost fakeout”.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Friend bot, that was your cue to say she's already beautiful and drag her out

Cutbu doesn't miss!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

School of World

Harsh Prospect

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Tiger, Tiger

The nerdiest nepo baby

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hello new signature

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Emzedoh posted:

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 30: Insignificant Pawn

So Akechi is done for. He made his play for power and it failed and now he's pretty screwed. How did it come to this? Now seems as good a time as any for that recap people asked for earlier:

Hyouge Mono: the Story So Far
So we start with this guy:

The Fool of Owari, the Devil King of the Sixth Heaven, the man himself, Oda Nobunaga. At this point in history he is the most powerful warlord in Japan and he's come closer than anyone else to uniting the country after more than a century of brutal civil war. So what's the problem? He's a dickhead! He's arrogant, brutal and volatile - definitely not a manager of the call-me-Chris, my-door-is-always-open variety. More like call-me-Master, my-sword-is-always-ready kind of guy. More importantly, it's becoming increasingly obvious that Nobunaga is favouring his sons over the generals that killed and bled to get him where he is.

At least one guy doesn't care about all of that samurai nonsense: this man, the tea master Senno Soeki

Senno's beef with Nobunaga is not that he's a tyrant or that he isn't rewarding his subordinates properly, it's that Nobunaga is gaudy. Ostentatious. Overly influenced by foreign aesthetics. In other words, totally opposed to Senno's philosophy of simplicity, which he desires to spread across the whole of Japan. So clearly, Nobunaga has to go.

Fortunately, Senno has just the tool to achieve this end: Hashiba Hideyoshi, one of Nobunaga's trusted generals.

Hashiba loves Senno like a son loves his father and he's ambitious. Hashiba famously worked his way up all the way from the bottom of society - he's gone from peasant to soldier to general. Why not go even further? Together with his brother Hidenaga and Senno, Hashiba begins to plot the fall of the Oda.

Their plan is simple: get someone else to kill Nobunaga, then 'avenge' Nobunaga before anyone else can, thus acquiring a sheen of legitimacy for their new regime while keeping the blood off their own hands. So who's going to be the sucker they bait into it?

Finally, we have the fall guy: Akechi Mitsuhide.

A frequent victim of Nobunaga's abrasive management style, Akechi is nonetheless a powerful and well-connected general. Also, he's actually a pretty nice guy: honourable, restrained in taste and honestly committed to the wellbeing of his retainers and the people under his rule. And yet, he finds himself being pushed further and further into the periphery:

He's the perfect patsy. Hashiba works to flip him against Nobunaga: he knows that there is discontent in Akechi's army about Nobunaga's tyranny and ambition after being tipped off unknowingly by Sasuke. He approaches Akechi himself to nurture his sense of grievance and more importantly make Akechi underestimate him:

Note: Hashiba stabbed himself in the gut to produce those crocodile tears.

Meanwhile, Hashiba and Senno work to isolate Akechi from central generals such as the Hosokawas, who are connected by marriage and would normally back Akechi's power play.

Finally, Hashiba uses his influence to widen the rift between Nobunaga and Akechi:

Now the stage is set: Akechi is primed to betray Nobunaga, he just needs to be given the opportunity. To give him one, Hashiba sandbags his campaign against the Mori in the west. He knows that Nobunaga will be participating in court rituals in the capital, away from his army. If he calls for reinforcements against the Mori, Akechi's army will have cause to pass nearby and seize Nobunaga while his guard is down. Hashiba doesn't know for sure that Akechi will take the opportunity, but he's relatively confident that if he has to abort he just can just kill Senno to keep the plot secret.

As it happens, Akechi does go for it - but Hashiba takes matters into his own hands just in case. Leaving Hidenaga in command of his army, he travels secretly to Honnou-ji where Nobunaga is staying and personally assassinates the guy:

Now why does he do that? The Doylist answer is drama. The Watsonian answer? I guess he wanted to make certain Akechi didn't screw up and let Nobunaga get away. He also destroys the body (by blowing up the whole drat temple) so that Akechi cannot easily prove Nobunaga is dead - this means that those still fearful of the tyrant are less willing to break cover and support the coup. Also Hashiba made out like a bandit, stealing several boxes of masterworks while he was there. He didn't make a totally clean getaway, though:

Getting seen by Yasuke means that Sasuke learns the Big Secret later on, but the rest works like a dream: Akechi gets none of the support he was counting on, and all the other possible claimants to Nobunaga's legacy are dead (Akechi managed to take out his son and heir, at least) or way out of position. Hashiba gets his army to capital area way before anyone could have expected him to, flips several important central generals and crushes Akechi's forces with a decisive numerical advantage.

There you have it: everything comes up Hashiba, perfect plan. There's just one more detail that hasn't quite eventuated yet: Tokugawa Ieyasu.

Ieyasu is rather taken with Akechi's ideals, but was too far out of position to support Akechi before Hashiba crushed him like a bug. But how long could a guy hold a grudge over something like that? The rest of his life? Hah!

There we go, that's pretty much everything about the plot. Remember: this all started because some guy thought Nobunaga's aesthetics were too tacky.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Hello new signature

I'd glad you like it, just in case you or anyone else wants to know where it's from, it's from the game Cobalt Core.

They're one of the encounters, they spend the fight bombarding you with drones, missiles and crab facts.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Pulsarcat posted:

I'd glad you like it, just in case you or anyone else wants to know where it's from, it's from the game Cobalt Core.

They're one of the encounters, they spend the fight bombarding you with drones, missiles and crab facts.

Thanks, I was gonna ask after trying and failing to figure it out, then completely forgot by the time I posted about it :tipshat:

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
How grounded is the idea that Hideyoshi was behind Nobunaga's assassination anyway? The idea seems to pop up pretty frequently in media, but as far as I know he wasn't involved. Is it because he happened to be the guy who profited the most off Nobunaga's death?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Peanut Butler posted:

love this, thank u for sharing it

shades of cowboy henk, beavis brothers absent buttheads cruelty, fish who are certain they are in of water but they are not

I also get the strong vibes of a couple of 80s beat em up protagonists.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Karanas posted:

How grounded is the idea that Hideyoshi was behind Nobunaga's assassination anyway? The idea seems to pop up pretty frequently in media, but as far as I know he wasn't involved. Is it because he happened to be the guy who profited the most off Nobunaga's death?

No real evidence as far as I know. Cui bono, as you said, but there's also the way he got his army back from facing the Mori so quickly - that in particular has always had people wondering.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I love the choice to filter all this historical drama through the lens of art and aesthetics and it's what really grabs me about the manga. But even aside from that (a conceit executed well without overpowering the story, imo) it's a drat good comic.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: Mr. Truck names the Berlin Temple as the site of his duel with Lisa Lisa! The fight begins, and Mr. Truck leaps at Lisa Lisa, who deftly dodges! An arm reaches out unseen from the pillar behind her!

Read right to left:

Chapter 105 - Join Lisa and The JoJo Gang, Part 1: END

Hope you liked Lisa Lisa being a badass because that's done :(

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Emzedoh posted:

She's wearing a balaclava while she's stalking the tiger bros.

:doh: Yep, I see it now. I'm going to chalk my seeing a furby face up to a case of acute internet poisoning. Unfortunately, it's terminal. I wish I was only lightly internet-poisoned.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Thank goodness you're only lightly wait poo poo. Ah well, don't beat yourself up too much - I can see it too.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Fantomius

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

these ducks are POISONOUSLY smug

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

I gotta be at work at the very crack of dawn tomorrow, so here's an early bugle call!
The Bugle Call: The House of Mirrors

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

these ducks are POISONOUSLY smug

I like how Fantomius genuinely got fooled this time. It's nice to see that smug grin wiped off his face, and good heist stories have things go awry along the way.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

How have I only just noticed that the rami have icons on their cloaks personalised to their powers? They really are medieval X-men.

Look, Ryuka's has little trumpet blasts!

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Cooking Papa, Cook 15: Roast Chicken to Your Heart's Content

Margarine chicken, huh?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the samurai comic summary was good. I think I thought nobunaga was two separate aesthete characters

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Emzedoh posted:

Cooking Papa, Cook 15: Roast Chicken to Your Heart's Content

Margarine chicken, huh?

Absolutely not! Olive oil or some other tasty fat is so much better!
Also: I like to plug the bird with a large onion and seal the deal with skewers but that's obviously not a tight seal which would change the result somewhat.
The part where you supposed to roast it on 300° Celsius is suspect as most domestic ovens don't get much above 200°
Probably a translation error.

Thanks for the samurai summery Emzedoh, now I have an actual understanding of what is occurring.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
That 300C detail, along with the margarine always stuck with me. The bird would be smoking husk.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Thanks for the samurai history! Also lol at coating your bird with margarine, extremely 80s/90s advice

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Managed to find the original pages but online machine translators suck rear end so I have no idea if it really calls for margarine and 300° Celsius.
Maybe someone else can help?

WE MUST HAVE ANSWERS

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Margarine and a suggested cooking time of an hour at 300 C confirmed! That's... kind of insane.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

yeah for awhile butter was satan itself.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I can't read Japanese, but step seven includes "something 300 <telephone poles> something 30 <jellyfish>"

Looks like that's his actual recipe; I'm starting to doubt Cooking Papa's credentials.

unless the 300 refers to watts on the microwave or degrees fahrenheit, but that is not a less insane answer

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

What the actual gently caress.
I know about the demonization of butter in the 80's and 90's but there's such a variety of tasty fats that this never limited serious cooking, heck a lot of people coat a roast chicken with mayo and spices and that's still much better than margarine!

And the call for 300 degrees is inexcusable.

My faith in Cooking Papa has been damaged!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
What the hell?
Most oven don't even go past 250°C. This is a recipe for boney coal.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cooking papa is a fraud

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

this invalidates all 180 volumes or whatever of cooking papa

i am quite interested in where this mistake crept in, though, because it's not the only mega temperature reported for poultry that i can casually google up. the flipping makes me wonder if this is a grill oven rather than a hot 300c box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

You (depicted as the incel): I have lost faith in Cooking Papa's credentials!

Me (as the chad): (packing aromatic vegetables tighter inside the bird, knowing they will shrink).

Trust in papa