Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kerrigan bought a phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

She's got a subscription with that company that hooks final bosses up to enemy coms. Their services are surprisingly affordable.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Kerrigan or Selendis being able to call whoever they want on the space phone is a plot hole that is 1000% forgivable - it's what it takes to make things work. Likewise the size of a battlecruiser or even how the Dominion is now way huger than the Confederacy was. The plot holes that are bad are the ones that don't serve a purpose mechnically but just gently caress up the story.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Intermission 24

Cinematic: Card to Play

We cut to Warfield and his men trying to not die.

It isn't working out so well.

Warfield's gun runs out.

I'd normally complain about revealing your face in an active combat zone, but Mr. Marine just showed us that the visors are pretty useless as protection.

Warfield leaps out of the way of a Mutalisk attack.

The ground under Warfield begins to rumble and crack.

Surprise!

I'll give Warfield credit. He's outnumbered two (plus the god knows how many zerglings are rushing in) to one, he has no gun and an injured arm, but by god he is not going down without a fight.

Unfortunately, there's not much one man can do against the Swarm.

That's why it's good to have help.

Jim's upgraded from his gauss rifle.

Char requires heavier firepower, after all.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, but by god this dialogue is some of the most cliched poo poo imaginable.

It's like the writers felt like clocking out early that day and went, 'this is an action scene, let's just throw in some stock action movie lines!'

I knew springing for Shockwave Missiles would pay off!

And now Warfield is 100% buddies with Jim.

The location bar has been changed out, since we're off the Hyperion. I can now directly access the various upgrade menus, the mission archives, and UNN for whatever reason.

>Talk to Warfield.

I understand. I know that ain't easy for you.

Easy? Son... I'm getting' off easy compared to what you got ahead of you. To reach the main hive, you'll have to choose... between taking out their ground reinforcements or their air support. There ain't time for both...

Don't worry, General. I'll deal with the zerg. First chance you get, head back to the ship and get patched up. That's an order.

>Talk to Tychus.

That's a tall order, ol' buddy! 'Tween them Nydus worms on the ground and that swarm of fliers overhead, we ain't in no position to push against anything!

Yer' always an inspiration, Tychus.

>Watch news.

We really don't know, Donny. We'll keep you posted with any further developments.

If both Warfield and Tychus mentioning it didn't make it clear, this is the last mission choice in Wings. In SC2 entirely, in fact. They realized that these mutually exclusive missions are an utter pain in the rear end to handle and completely dropped the concept going forward.

'Scares me more than the zerg...

It's dangerous, but it could work. Bigger problem's still their fliers. Even if we could move our units forward, we can't provide adequate air cover while the skies are contested.

Any suggestions?

This final choice won't impact the story, and instead tweaks how the final mission will play out.

I won't be showing both versions of the finale, the lion's share of the mission is the same regardless of choice, but I'll still make a trip to the Non-Canon Zone to show off the other mission here.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Dec 4, 2023

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Tychus brings up a good point. Zerg fliers can be contested - we've certainly never shied away from it before. But them zerg burstin' up under us wherever they please ain't exactly conducive to our health and well-bein'.

Let's take out them Nydus worms, ol' buddy. So we never have to deal with them again.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Shatter The Sky is by far the easier way to go - it's an easier mission than Belly Of The Beast, and it makes the next mission much easier too - but Belly Of The Beast is more interesting to watch, and that's what we're here for. Make it Bisby's problem and vote to kill the Nydus worms.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

gohuskies posted:

Kerrigan or Selendis being able to call whoever they want on the space phone is a plot hole that is 1000% forgivable - it's what it takes to make things work.
A good example of this is Resident Evil 4.

Is it plausible in story that the cult leaders can all hack into Leon's secret service radio at will? No, not really.

Is the game improved by having Salazar regularly calling up with taunts while Leon spouts one liners? Absolutely yes

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I always take out the air since without Brood Lords there's not much the Zerg can do against full scale Terran ground defense. So go for the worms instead.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

gohuskies posted:

Make it Bisby's problem

I'm normally in camp air support because without fliers Banshees solve basically all your problems in the final mission, but yeah, you've convinced me. Worms it is.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Take out the air so vikings are useless in the final mission. :regd08:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

BlazetheInferno posted:

Let's take out them Nydus worms, ol' buddy. So we never have to deal with them again.

Omobono posted:

Take out the air so vikings are useless in the final mission. :regd08:

here's the really loving annoying thing. the game says that doing those missions neutralizes those units, but guess what?

no they don't!!!

doing those missions only cuts the relative population of those units by about 75%, so if you're banking on not having to deal with either unit group because that's what the game told you, then idk go gently caress yourself

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Is it on brutal? On hard there's like 3 broodlords total if you disable air units beforehand.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Since it looks like we're moving straight onto the next mission, I thought it'd be okay to post this. I don't think many people know about this to begin with, so I thought I'd share.

Cut Content

As the game says, once you head down to Char, that's it. There's no going back, and you can't return to the Hyperion.

...Or can you?

See, back when this game was first released, a couple of people managed to find a cool glitch. If you complete a Char mission (so the Gates of Hell or either of the split choice missions here) and then go into the Mission Archives and replay Piercing The Shroud (the bonus mission), once the mission is over the player will be sent back to the Hyperion. Even if you're not meant to be there! This causes some things to bug out, like the next mission is The Gates of Hell, even if you beat it already, along with some graphical glitches. But the most interesting part is that some of the people on the Hyperion have complete post-mission dialogue for these missions! So in this case we can talk to Horner, Swann and Valerian. This is normally impossible, so it's interesting that they bothered to record dialogue. I can only assume the player was meant to be able to return to the Hyperion at some point, before the devs decided it would be better if the player was stuck on Char.

Additionally, this bug was quickly fixed. I believe patch 1.1 was the last version to have this bug. Anyway, here are the videos of the dialogue, and I'll transcribe them here if you don't care to listen.

Horner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTXq-QDlRn4

How're we doing up here, Matt?

It's a mess, sir. We're barely holding our orbital positions. Zerg flyers are pounding the hell out of us, and Warfield's force is barely holding the landing zone.

I know you're doing the best you can. Just keep things together and we'll make it through this.

I know, sir. I won't let you down.

Valerian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBQ-Kn5m-Mw

Somethin' on your mind, Valerian?

I...just wanted to congratulate you, Commander. I doubt there's anyone alive who could have turned our calamitous invasion into a victory.

We ain't achieved victory yet. And if I know Kerrigan, the worst is still to come.

I didn't anticipate her reacting so quickly. She seems to be a fierce opponent. Perhaps we wouldn't have lost so many men if I-

Now ain't the time for second guessin', junior. If we survive what's next, you'll have the whole rest of your life to wallow in guilt. For now, we buck up and get 'er done.

Swann

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_1cOScIn2M

Oh, this is just great, cowboy. I got critters trying to chew through two decks, four engines out, and half the defensive turrets are offline.

Can you keep her together, Swann?

'Course I can! Havin' the time of my life, brother!

Well you keep things workin' around here, I'll see what I can do about our rowdy neighbours.

SoundwaveAU fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Nov 19, 2023

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Holy poo poo, something about WoL I didn't know about. Thanks for posting!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's always so weird to me that the commanders are ground units in this game. This is an SC1 problem too, to be fair; though the severity varies. I did like that SC1 ramped up the ante with heroes - Raynor climbs the entire terran tech tree until he's important enough to be a battlecruiser. No such luck for Warfield, though he's cutscene-only. I sorta assumed he'd be more like Duke or Mengsk where he doesn't get his hands dirty at all or if he does it's in an overwhelming vehicle.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

aniviron posted:

It's always so weird to me that the commanders are ground units in this game. This is an SC1 problem too, to be fair; though the severity varies. I did like that SC1 ramped up the ante with heroes - Raynor climbs the entire terran tech tree until he's important enough to be a battlecruiser. No such luck for Warfield, though he's cutscene-only. I sorta assumed he'd be more like Duke or Mengsk where he doesn't get his hands dirty at all or if he does it's in an overwhelming vehicle.

Warfield was going to be in Heroes of the Storm as a Siege Tank until he was replaced by Sgt. Hammer to make the roster slightly less overwhelmingly male.

Warfield is also a Hero Unit in Heart of the Swarm as a blink-and-you'll-miss-it appearance.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I at least get it for Fenix, Tassadar & Zeratul, the Protoss are crazy, but it's so weird to me to see a human general with armor and a rifle on the front lines.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

It is widely agreed that taking out the air units is the correct choice from a gameplay perspective, so I'm voting for taking out the Nydus Worms.

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
I don't like worms so please get rid of the Nydus ones, tyvm. I'm sure air zerg units will not be an issue for a person of your skills.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Grand Fromage posted:

I always take out the air since without Brood Lords there's not much the Zerg can do against full scale Terran ground defense. So go for the worms instead.

Between marauder's slow and the aoe slow thingamajig from Zerg research, things on the ground just can't get anything done before the OP upgraded siege tanks pound them into dust.

So obviously let's make Bisby play against air.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Get rid of the worms, it makes for a more interesting finale (and I know we'll see both of the option missions but I do think the Nydus one is cooler).

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
This cutscene shows an interesting quirk of Blizzard's: They like making their special people left-handed. This is number 3 so far in the campaign. Tychus (minigun left-handed), Nova (canister rifle left-handed), and Warfield (gauss rifle left-handed). That's three out of what, ten-ish primary characters? Some of which who don't make it easy to tell. Left-handedness is present in about 10% of the population, so it's not unheard of, but it's not something you often see in video games at all without it being specifically pointed out. I think that the multiplayer Spec Ops ghost skin can have both left-handed and right-handed ghosts, but I don't think anything else in the game is left-handed.

JackSplater fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 19, 2023

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

A long time ago, when the final zerg research decision got deferred, bibsy loaded a rifle and placed it on the mantlepiece. It's time to break out that rifle.

We've seen some side missions where we got to play as the protoss, but now it's time for us to wield an army of the zerg.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I, too, vote for worms.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

worm mission is way cooler and the air waves can be handled by like... four or five extra missile turrets. maybe even some of those new-fangled vikings we just got!

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

aniviron posted:

In fairness, Warfield used to be in a battlecruiser - 'till it got shot down.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

JackSplater posted:

This cutscene shows an interesting quirk of Blizzard's: They like making their special people left-handed. This is number 3 so far in the campaign. Tychus (minigun left-handed), Nova (canister rifle left-handed), and Warfield (gauss rifle left-handed). That's three out of what, ten-ish primary characters? Some of which who don't make it easy to tell. Left-handedness is present in about 10% of the population, so it's not unheard of, but it's not something you often see in video games at all without it being specifically pointed out. I think that the multiplayer Spec Ops ghost skin can have both left-handed and right-handed ghosts, but I don't think anything else in the game is left-handed.

My mom is left-handed, so I had to hear left-handed propaganda while growing up about how their brains are right-hemisphere-dominant and that supposedly makes them more effective leaders. It is true that six of the fourteen US presidents since WW2 have been left-handed - Truman, Ford, Reagan, HW Bush, Clinton, and Obama - which is unlikely to happen by chance (the lefties argue that you shouldn't count presidents who grew up before the 20th century since left-handness was trained out of people then and we don't know how many were or were not left-handed). Perhaps the same sort of thing is causing an over-representation of left-handedness among the Terran VIPs.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

holding up a U.S. President as a positive example of anything lol

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm left-handed and now I feel guilty by association.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

holding up a U.S. President as a positive example of anything lol

I mean, are Tychus, Nova, and Warfield sterling examples of humanity either? Just passing along the left-handed propaganda.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 19, 2023

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

last update posted:

pictured: 8mm gauss rifle shell casings. Please ignore the part where it says 50 CAL. The cinematics team did and you should too!

almost assuredly this was the reference material which worked at the scale they wanted, but it's funny their modeling was almost too good, which led to an unforced error. good work but also oops? Does it matter, no, not in the slightest.

BisbyWorl posted:

And now Warfield is 100% buddies with Jim.

they did the dramatic 'give a guy a hand up' scene, it's required by action movie code to be BFFs now. you'll note Tychus was right there after moving the zerg corpse and waited for Raynor to hop down and do the Cinematically Meaningful Moment. they've become genre aware :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 19, 2023

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Air superiority seesms to be the logical way to go.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you waste too much time watching Jonathan Ferguson videos you will learn bullet casings in games are wrong most of the time and can never unsee it again.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

The Dominator Towers can be really fun in these final missions. Build enough of them and every Zerg attack wave is just reinforcements, that can all be healed with medivacs.

Edit: I vote Take out the Worms.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Psion posted:

pictured: 8mm gauss rifle shell casings. Please ignore the part where it says 50 CAL. The cinematics team did and you should too!

A gauss rifle theoretically shouldn't have any casings at all, but apparently at some point they canonically made the terran gauss rifles 'gauss-assisted'. Which seems kinda dumb.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Gun Jam posted:

In fairness, Warfield used to be in a battlecruiser - 'till it got shot down.

Counterpoint: Warfield was in marine armor on the battlecruiser. I can't imagine the armor is comfortable or particularly useful on the bridge of a ship, which suggests to me that he was always planning on going in with the infantry.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
He showed up on TV in his custom camo-printed marine armor. He's just that committed to the bit.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

I mean, if I were on a spaceship in the middle of combat, I'd certainly want to be wearing a space-rated suit of armour in case of breach.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Warfield gets the cushy armour, with padding and lumbar support and a septic tank that doesn't leak the smell. If he takes it off someone else will nab it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

JackSplater posted:

A gauss rifle theoretically shouldn't have any casings at all, but apparently at some point they canonically made the terran gauss rifles 'gauss-assisted'. Which seems kinda dumb.

A two-stage firing system doesn't seem too out of place honestly, and probably simplifies procurement. A conventional round could also be used in other, simpler firearms. If the bullets have a steel core, then magnetic coils along the gauss rifle's barrel would allow for a significant increase in muzzle velocity while keeping the actual rounds to a manageable size.

e: If we take what's presented to us literally, then an 8mm bullet propelled by a .50 cal's worth of powder, then magnetically accelerated, would have a terrifying amount of kinetic energy behind it. It's practically a rifle-caliber sabot round.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 19, 2023