Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Kly posted:

it is and its good. they inexplicably didnt put it or any of the dlc on sale though. i played a couple hours then tabbed out ready to drop $10-20 on the dlc classes assuming theyd have it on sale to go along with the patch only to see its almost $40cdn for both. ill probably be done with it again by the time it does go on sale

For what it's worth, the Grim Dawn DLCs are all 30% off in the Humble Store right now, you can get both expansions for ~$25 USD (not sure how their canadian pricing works)
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/search?search=grim%20dawn

The base game is 75% off.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Astral Ascent is incredibly good, what the hell. If you at all like Hades-style roguelites it's a must try. I've been playing it nonstop for the last 6 hours!

It's basically a combination of Hades and Dead Cells with a Saint Seiya/Final Fantasy Tactics-style Zodiac theme. You take control of one of four different characters who are trying to break free from a pocket prison realm devised by an intergalactic conqueror called the Master who has destroyed and subdued thousands of worlds. It's room-based like Hades, but there are four biomes you'll go through (and a few special ones for specific rooms which are drop dead gorgeous, like the one in the last screenshot down below) and on each biome you'll face 1 of 3 possible Zodiacs, of which there are 12 in total. Each Zodiac is a wholly unique bossfight and has a shitton of dialogue which is different for every playable character and changes as you fight them over and over.

Playable characters have a few basic features they all share - melee attacks (straight ahead, downwards, upwards), a dash, double jump and a unique skill that's always available. However, they also have access to a huge pool of spells (active abilities) and auras (passive modifiers). Spells and auras are upgradeable, but spells in particular also have slots you can insert gambits (augments) into, which do stuff like add new damage types, buff you or even spawn NPCs to help you. The kicker here is that you can have at most four spells and you have to play them in order. Outside of specific instances (safe rooms, when gaining a new one, etc), you can't mess with the sequence they're in once you get them so the order in which you cast them (and how much mana they cost, which you regain by hitting people) is crucial. You can create combos like spawning a water ball which bounces around freezing enemies and spawning sources of AoE freezing damage on contact, or having a dash that spawns clouds which shock enemies, stacking a debuff which then spawns further projectiles that home onto those enemies, etc. Add to this special features like getting help from NPCs under specific circumstances and it's just a treat seeing how powerful you become over the course of a run. To avoid special effects hindering visibility, every enemy attack gets a clearly delineated hitbox and tell, all of which makes timing dodges or determining safe areas much less of a trial and error exercise than it's common for the genre.

Just like Hades, this game has a lot of reactive dialogue. A lot of characters have something to say between runs, especially bosses, and the voice acting ranges from competent to great. Haven't heard a single bad VA so far, and it helps that the bosses even have dialogue outside their boss fights, but I'll leave that at that because it's a cool surprise :v: I'm just going to say the following: don't miss out on the Zodiac challenge rooms!
And that's something which I like a lot about Astral Ascent - it feels accessible. It's even got local coop! It's a very rewarding game to play and experiment on due to all the characters and their 20+ unique skills but the metaprogression is mostly QoL stuff like in Hades, which gives you more margin of error and helps you get your build online faster. Once you start climbing the StS Ascension-style difficulty levels you unlock the second metaprogression layer, which progresses a bit slower since it's tied to boss and run wins.

All in all, it's one hell of a game and easily in my top five action roguelites I've ever played.

Azran fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 19, 2023

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
When I bought Grim Dawn in 2016 I didn't think I'd be getting this much value.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Jossar posted:

Tried this out and, I dunno. The underlying gameplay isn't particularly compelling in a way that makes me want to come back to it. A bit too floaty for my tastes.

With respect to the central gimmick, I feel like something on this theme exists at the end grind of other ARPGs anyway, so I'm not sure if the main selling point is getting to do that throughout the whole game instead of at endgame when you're trying to force rewrite a specific, perfectly optimized piece of gear to complete your build for its own sake/to face the hardest possible challenge in the game.

(The Fate alteration that is. The metaprogression is what it is, and you either love metaprogression in games or hate it, and this won't change your opinion on it either way.)

On the other hand, maybe you just want a space ARPG that isn't Drox Operative with Soldak's faction system stuff. Then sure, why not.

Yeah, that was kind of the feeling I was getting: while the mechanics of resetting and such might seem novel to me, especially with the way they contextualize it all in-universe (which I always enjoy), and while I do think it is quite slick and polished, it is probably the same ol' game underneath as many other space ARPGs out there and therefore perhaps not that notable. Maybe I'll look into some other space ARPGs like Drox Operative you mention for comparison: I feel like the last one of these games I played was SPAZ way back when!

Azran posted:

Astral Ascent is incredibly good, what the hell.

Had this on my wishlist for some time, waiting for it to come out of early access: looking forward to getting into it sometime! Similar to above, there are so many action roguelites out there that it can be difficult to determine the cream of the crop, so it's nice to have impressions like this.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Next on my list of games to play is Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness. This is a CRPG that I backed on Kickstarter years and years ago. I don't remember anything about it, so I have no idea what to expect. None of my Steam friends own it, and it has a 73% rating, so anything could happen!

How are you finding it? I did the same recently and hated the unexpectedly ugly character models so much I put it down again. Just weirdly low quality, way below Solasta etc.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

FrickenMoron posted:

Trip report on Little goody two shoes It's pretty much german horror fairy tale combined with a 1990s anime style.It's the surprise horror game of the year for me personally. Its mega niche but it hit me right in the feels. Feels like someone decided to make a Playstation 2 RPG style horror game in 2023 and I'm all for it. Wild that it's published by Square Enix too. Also incredibly gay so the lesbian horror game enjoyers with a german setting keep winning.
Yeah, Little Goody Two Shoes owns. Extremely gay folk horror life sim with 90s anime aesthetics and maximalist UI.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Chubby Henparty posted:

How are you finding it? I did the same recently and hated the unexpectedly ugly character models so much I put it down again. Just weirdly low quality, way below Solasta etc.

I haven't played it yet, but I'll let you know what my first impressions are. I'm not expecting much, but who knows? I played Temple of Elemental Evil and Arcanum more than a decade after they came out, so I like to think I have a pretty high tolerance when it comes to outdated graphics.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Earlier this year I played and really enjoyed Ender Lillies so I bought another game by the co-developer: Redemption Reapers.

For a game from a small publisher it has very high production values, clearly a lot of effort and money was invested. Which is a shame because given the lack of interest online it must have flopped massively.

The story was bizarre, it takes place in a medieval setting but it's been invaded by creatures called the Mort, which look like a less jacked version of the Locust from Gears of War.

It's never explained where they came from or what they want (other than to kill people.) They decimate an entire human army midway through the game. Then on the final mission after killing their leader who looks more like some sort of cyber knight, instead of all falling down dead or at least being routed, they overwhelm and brutally slaughter my entire party wtf? Not even a sequel hook either, how bleak.

I did enjoy it though, the negative reviews seem to mostly be from technical issues which all seem to have been patched, no crashes or bugs playing on Steam Deck.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m here to reap… your redemption!!!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

may be redeemed for any reaper of equal or lesser value

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

how is konami going to gently caress up Felix the Cat for all the Felix heads out there?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It'll be a pachinko machine.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Upsidads posted:

how is konami going to gently caress up Felix the Cat for all the Felix heads out there?

Metal Gear Survive reskin

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

My 5 year old was looking through my games to see if anything stood out and insisted on playing Lunistice, which I’d maybe acquired through a bundle or something. The first couple levels were decent for her to practice on as her first ever platforming game, but even when it became too difficult she loved watching me play as the vibes are simply immaculate. Not too difficult for my haven’t-platformed-since-Mario-Galaxy brain but a decent enough challenge if you want to get all the collectibles and still rank well in the levels, basically no story that’s all easily skipable, and again great vibes. Easily worth $5 and a 4-5 hours if you fancy some chill jumping.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Earth Defense Force 5 is on sale for $18 this week, and the DLC packs are $6 apiece.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
EDF is top tier co op fun, folks. Get it if you’ve never played

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Bloons TD6 or the best Kingdom Rush, whichever that is? It seems like they're both pretty popular

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Azran posted:

Bloons TD6 or the best Kingdom Rush, whichever that is? It seems like they're both pretty popular
Dungeon Warfare.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yoku's Island Express is $4. The Dark Souls of pinball metroidvanias

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

apparently a game called 'lethal company' is absolutely blowing up on steam right now

meanwhile, risk of rain is just edged out in its first week by fellow debuter, "forbidden sex hex"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Man Steam reviews sure aren't fuckin helpful in any way

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Azran posted:

anilEhilated posted:

Dungeon Warfare.

They’re all are top notch but the lore and environmental storytelling puts BTD6 ahead of the competition Imo

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

The 7th Guest posted:

apparently a game called 'lethal company' is absolutely blowing up on steam right now

It's sort of SCP by way of DRG. Up to 4 people are trying to loot random abandoned complexes to fulfill a corporate quota while being stalked by assorted horrors. It's pretty rudimentary but I don't think I've seen any other game generate so many Perfectly Cut Screams entirely through organic gameplay.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

MonkeyforaHead posted:

It's sort of SCP by way of DRG. Up to 4 people are trying to loot random abandoned complexes to fulfill a corporate quota while being stalked by assorted horrors. It's pretty rudimentary but I don't think I've seen any other game generate so many Perfectly Cut Screams entirely through organic gameplay.

https://clips.twitch.tv/SparklyAverageToothAMPEnergy-Y7L_6pxBEGkLmNDy

Worth mentioning it has great proximity voice chat, you hear the other people with you, their voices echo inside the complex, they get fainter as they get farther away. Nothing quite like hearing someone start screaming far away in the distance and you can't make out what they are yelling about.

There's also walkie talkies that you can use to communicate when not in proximity that sound all scratchy and can be hard to make out too. You can have some posted in your ship, phasmo truck-style, to warn you about stuff over the walkie talkie, but they aren't entirely safe either.

https://clips.twitch.tv/SassySmellyGiraffePipeHype-yHES8WKBetJlhjlM

It's pretty good!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

BG3 casually sitting at #5 three and a half months after release

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

BG3 casually sitting at #5 three and a half months after release

It sitting at the third place among the concurrent players still is even more impressive.
It has more players on Steam than Cawadoody 2023, or Apex, or PUBG.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
The news and updates section at the top of Steams Library shelves has disappeared.
A quick search leads me to a reddit thread from 3 years ago that all of a sudden has people posting the same thing in the past day.
None of its suggestions of deleting cache has brought it back though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

OgNar posted:

The news and updates section at the top of Steams Library shelves has disappeared.
A quick search leads me to a reddit thread from 3 years ago that all of a sudden has people posting the same thing in the past day.
None of its suggestions of deleting cache has brought it back though.

delete clientregistry.blob

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Gone for me too. Going to assume it's a bug on Valve's end

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I wouldn't mind if it was hideable

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

My issue with the news tab is that it doesn't update as frequently as I'd like and sometimes it unearths 'news' from months ago, displacing stuff from, like, yesterday lol At least the News section is pretty thorough

FastestGunAlive posted:

They’re all are top notch but the lore and environmental storytelling puts BTD6 ahead of the competition Imo

Thanks!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jack Trades posted:

It sitting at the third place among the concurrent players still is even more impressive.
It has more players on Steam than Cawadoody 2023, or Apex, or PUBG.

Yeah, given player retention BG3 might very well be the most successful primarily single-player game of this generation.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

https://twitter.com/ZeekerssRBLX/status/1726106297534415030

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Does anyone ever play these voice-chat-dependent games on public servers? I guess maybe like every few months I'll give it a shot, but it's always a hilarious nightmare of slurs and people blasting music through the headphones or little kids just screaming and screaming.

I have a good group of friends who play these games, but they refuse to use in-game mechanics like the walkie-talkie, instead just chatting over Discord, which I feel defeats the purpose :(

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is it a Phasmophobia clone with monsters?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

credburn posted:

Does anyone ever play these voice-chat-dependent games on public servers? I guess maybe like every few months I'll give it a shot, but it's always a hilarious nightmare of slurs and people blasting music through the headphones or little kids just screaming and screaming.

I have a good group of friends who play these games, but they refuse to use in-game mechanics like the walkie-talkie, instead just chatting over Discord, which I feel defeats the purpose :(

I watched some people play it with randoms, seemed like a good community. I also play Hell Let Loose with randoms all the time with no issue.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Having an issue where the "invite to game" option on the friend list just never shows up when I right-click on someone. I think this may have been going on for a while so I don't think it's a recent setting change. Anyone bump into anything like this?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I returned to Rebel Galaxy Outlaw on my tour of space games. I liked the original RG a lot, though I never finished it, but bounced off RGO at release when I didn't feel like dragging out my flightstick and mouse control sucked. I got to say this game has the greatest cockpits in any game ever. They are so amazingly detailed and create an incredible mood all on their own. I want to live in one. They are retro vibe but utilize the harsh directional lights of Elite Dangerous which really add to the ambiance. Unfortunately basically everything else sucks.

The game is a good example of having a lot of dialogue and time devoted to story without saying anything. It's just words and words and words that tell little story, aren't funny or interesting, and don't even provide world details. I still know little about the universe that I didn't already know by hearing it was Space Texas. They've improved mouse control since release but it's still far below what Freelancer achieved nearly 20 years ago. As much as I love the ambiance of the UI it's a pain in the rear end to use and could have plenty of usability improvements that wouldn't hurt the mood. The missions have been boring and fairly paltry with the pay so I guess it is supposed to be grindy. It also has weird and aggressive scaling so you gotta be careful with the money you spend on your ship because it seems you can hit certain thresholds and suddenly all the bandits are in daedric equivalents. The difficulty is quite spiky because even traveling within a system I can blow through groups of pirates barely paying attention and then suddenly hit a wave of annihilation before I realize it.

Worst of all the space combat has already gotten boring and doesn't seem to promise any future additions. To be fair to them, the original Privateer combat did get boring after a while. It didn't have a lot of variety so the game survived more on mood and the novelty of being an Elite like game with story and characters. In general the Origin space sim gameplay tended to get stale if you didn't keep spicing it up with story or interesting missions, but RGO so far lacks either. It's a shame they are so slavishly devoted to their 90s Origin gameplay because they could still bring the vibe of it while refining it with an eye towards the last few decades of gaming. I'm assuming it did fairly poorly because it is a game that demands you play it in the exact 90s way they envisioned and doesn't really try to meet you halfway. It isn't a complex game like ED as it is fairly simple (like the old Origin space sims) but it is a very very ornery one.

I'm probably gonna play a bit longer liberally using cheats to fly around in more of these incredible cockpits. The artist behind them should make a My Summer Car kinda game about keeping incredibly detail spaceships going across a mostly peaceful universe. I'd play the gently caress out of that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pardon me for being a massive ignoramus when it comes to spaceship games genre but what does good space combat look like?

Because every spaceship game I've played just has you center your screen onto the red blips and hold the shoot button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Pardon me for being a massive ignoramus when it comes to spaceship games genre but what does good space combat look like?

Because every spaceship game I've played just has you center your screen onto the red blips and hold the shoot button.

Freespace 2, where there is generally a good pace of new toys & new enemies to keep things fresher