Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Darthemed posted:

And Jean's was imitating Stilt-Man?

And yet her platform shoes still weren't quite as outrageously tall as Emma's. (Seriously what the heck, Quitely)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

And yet her platform shoes still weren't quite as outrageously tall as Emma's. (Seriously what the heck, Quitely)

Side gig doin totally spies erotica (this is a joke I am joking)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Grassy Knowles posted:

New X-Men #139

I feel like there's some other comic panel either implying or directly stating she had a nose job. Obviously she could have done both her nose and boobs, or I'm just thinking of Rachel from Friends instead of Emma in regards to the nose job.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Air Skwirl posted:

I feel like there's some other comic panel either implying or directly stating she had a nose job. Obviously she could have done both her nose and boobs, or I'm just thinking of Rachel from Friends instead of Emma in regards to the nose job.

i think you're correct they're just far from my favorite panels so im not tryina flood them. marvel lost the spark for me after fatal attractions and never really regained it, this stuff not helping that at all

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Air Skwirl posted:

Well there was that time Sebastion Shaw threatened to give her old nose back.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Emma's pretty great in the Morrison New X-Men run. And yeah, in her first mission with the team, she ends up getting her nose broken in a fight and complains about how much she's paid for it.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Resident Evil: Code: Veronica #1 (2002)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Darthemed posted:

Resident Evil: Code: Veronica #1 (2002)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Whiz Comics #50 (1944)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shazam #5

Birds of Prey #3

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
How do you even pronounce that? Teddededed? Teduuuuuh? A "D" is terrible to prolong. Maybe the worst letter to try that on.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 16, 2023

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

cant cook creole bream posted:

How do you even say that? Teddededed? A "D" is terrible to prolong.

There's no good way to write it because he's not supposed to be saying "teed" either.

Well unless you have confidence in readers knowing their phonetics and you write "TĕĕĕĕĕĕĕD!"

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Read right to left

Kinnikuman Vol. 3 (1980)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Blue Beetle #39 (1945)

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Lobok posted:

There's no good way to write it because he's not supposed to be saying "teed" either.

Well unless you have confidence in readers knowing their phonetics and you write "TĕĕĕĕĕĕĕD!"

"TED!*

*He yelled Ted for a very long time here, like a good five seconds worth of Ted - Smiling Stan"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Frankenstein has a problem with some cows.

(spoilered for bloody violence)

Seven Soldiers: Frankenstein #3

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Green Lantern #22 (1946)

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Il Monte Rosa - I TL 2972-2 (2012) (unofficial translation)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Fantomius, the Gentleman Duck Thief?

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

Man, I know it's just a cartoon duck book, but the sails on that airship are really bothering me.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

PainterofCrap posted:

Fantomius, the Gentleman Duck Thief?

Yes! If you're familiar with Euro duck comics lore, Donald's superhero alter ego - the Duck Avenger - was first created when he discovered the diary and gadgets of the famous gentleman thief Fantomius and used them to become a superhero.

The later Fantomius stories tell the story of the famous gentleman thief and are a lot more fun than the superhero stuff, in my opinion.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Sensation Comics #25 (1944)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darthemed posted:

Green Lantern #22 (1946)

So can someone explain the wood weakness to me out of curiosity? Also I assume this isn't still a thing in modern versions of GL?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 19, 2023

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Larryb posted:

So can someone explain the wood weakness to me out of curiousity (at least the color yellow sort of makes sense since it's the opposite of green)? Also I assume this isn't still a thing in modern versions of GL?

It's a boner joke, op

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Larryb posted:

So can someone explain the wood weakness to me out of curiousity (at least the color yellow sort of makes sense since it's the opposite of green)? Also I assume this isn't still a thing in modern versions of GL?

It started out as an abitrary Golden Age superhero weakness. Post-Crisis it was retconned as part of explaining Alan Scott’s relationship to the Green Lantern Corps. It turns out a GL went rogue and tried to conquer Earth, starting with ancient China. The Guardians edited his ring to be vulnerable to wood so he couldn’t defend himself from the peasants’ weapons. That ring and power battery ended up being corrupted and found by Scott, and the rogue GL’s consciousness influenced him to become a Green Lantern, albeit one that was no longer connected to the central battery on Oa, blah blah blah.

Modern GLs have the yellow weakness - wood is only Alan Scott’s weakness. No idea if any of that survived Covergence/Rebirth/Dawn of DC.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Larryb posted:

How is yellow the opposite of green? They're next to each other on the color wheel.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Air Skwirl posted:

How is yellow the opposite of green? They're next to each other on the color wheel.

Ah nevermind, then why is the green ring ineffective against yellow things in that case?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Because yellow is the colour of fear, and Parallax the fear-demon was in the giant battery on Oa corrupting it and furthermore

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Philippe posted:

Because yellow is the colour of fear, and Parallax the fear-demon was in the giant battery on Oa corrupting it and furthermore

Oh yeah, Parallax. A name you give to an entity so that they are synonymous with fear.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

nothing is scarier than depth perception

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Parallax is such a "this is a cool sounding word, never mind the definition" name that it's kind of stunning to me that it wasn't from like, the Golden Age.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The big new enemy to Superman coming out of the 1995 Zero Hour event was named...Conduit.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

The fear entity was invented a long time after they called Hal Jordan Parallax, wasn't it?

Also I think when we're reading a series where the protagonists are called Green Lanterns, I don't think we can suddenly expect names with gravitas and relevance.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Vanadium posted:

The fear entity was invented a long time after they called Hal Jordan Parallax, wasn't it?

Also I think when we're reading a series where the protagonists are called Green Lanterns, I don't think we can suddenly expect names with gravitas and relevance.

Yeah. They just reassigned the name to the fear entity. Honestly it was the most dumbass saving throw they could do to retcon that all away. It worked, but it was always dumb as gently caress.

Initially the yellow weakness was described as being due to a "necessary impurity in creating the rings" or whatever. Now I'm pretty sure we're at the point where it's acknowledged as "yellow is the color of fear", and if you can keep your wits about you, you can power through and gently caress up yellow anyway.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Darthemed posted:

Sensation Comics #25 (1944)

Posting this one to True Capitalist Radio

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vanadium posted:

Was fine as a name for Hal to choose for himself when he went mad but for a fear demon to be called that as a way to justify the retcon rehab of Hal was the dumb part.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Did Johns come up with Parralax or was that before him? It seems like a Johns kind of name.
Or I guess it would probably be something like Fearalax if it were him

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I thought the word parallax came from the game Parallax, for which "parallax scrolling" as invented.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Opopanax posted:

Did Johns come up with Parralax or was that before him? It seems like a Johns kind of name.
Or I guess it would probably be something like Fearalax if it were him

Parallax as the Hal Jordan maniacal villain was pre-Johns. Parallax as the fear demon who was the retcon reason Hal Jordan became a maniacal villain was Johns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Parallax error was something I trained to compensate for in news photography class, a million years ago, when some still used non-SLR cameras.