Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Is it an actual MMO or is it Conan exiles 2? Either way I’m down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Frog Act posted:

Can’t wait for a reskinned Age of Conan or Conan Unchained - whichever was the once-good now-bad MMO and the always-bad survival base building game - with janky sandworms and annoying mechanics. I’m gonna buy it and get real mad

You and me both!

That Little Demon posted:

Is it an actual MMO or is it Conan exiles 2? Either way I’m down

I feel like Funcom has been very unclear on this. I am leaning towards Conan Exiles 2, but Funcom really doesn't want to commit. Maybe its a mix of both?

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

shirunei posted:

I would only like to join this discord so I can lead a coup against your blunting ideas! If the world isn't an unforgiving land full of death what incentive will there be for players to band together?

That is basically the world design ideal, coupled with each class ideally having something unique to bring to a group composition. However throwing that hostility at level 1 players who are also struggling with old school MMO mechanics is a recipe to have people bounce off the game.

My take is that it takes a few hours of play (ideally grouped) to start to appreciate the slower pace of advancement and inherent danger of the world, but that also means people need to not get fed up 30 minutes in.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
dune is gonna be just like conan exiles

nothing but sex mods for miles

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I'm playing the Dune MMO. Every player has named their character some variant of 'Duncan Idaho'. I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing and the ugly tutorial NPC won't tell me despite never shutting up

The respawn mechanic certainly is an experience

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
this is my high heels dune mod

it requires a lot of bdsm mods to work

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Posting an innocuous screenshot of the game asking for help with something only for a wily poster to identify some random background doodad as coming from the Massive Throbbing Schlongs mod and shaming me for all eternity

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Dunkin Idaho

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Fajita Queen posted:

Posting an innocuous screenshot of the game asking for help with something only for a wily poster to identify some random background doodad as coming from the Massive Throbbing Schlongs mod and shaming me for all eternity

As they should, it was coded by a gorilla. Engorged Sleeper does everything that one does with twice the fidelity and half the CPU overhead.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

If I wanted to mess around in a pre-wow mmo for a month or two which one is the easiest to get into?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

eq live seems to have the least unfriendly launcher out of all of them so thats probably your best bet for getting in

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

blatman posted:

eq live seems to have the least unfriendly launcher out of all of them so thats probably your best bet for getting in

Yeah, POL's not as bad as it used to be buuuuuuut binding the POL ID to a SE account and stuff is still a hot mess

Otherwise maybe a UO shard?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Len posted:

If I wanted to mess around in a pre-wow mmo for a month or two which one is the easiest to get into?

FF11 is still kicking and is very accessible. Well, very accessible for an early MMO

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Both the live version where if you want to explore solo that's your ticket and private servers, notably HorizonXI which recaptures the 75 level cap experience if you want to experience a mandatory grouping game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Horizon has gone off the deep end adding their own stuff (but not TOAU!) including a forced pop NM system with loot lockouts so I don't think I'd call it..anything like the Lv75 experience anymore

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

To be fair I am still just leveling which to me is the majority of the experience so I haven't seen any of the max level stuff.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I’d argue getting to 75– limit breaks included— is enough to “get” FFXI. If you do the story past CoP you’ve gone too far

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Try anarchy online imo

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
AO was pretty fun. had no idea what i was doing the whole time and everyone seemed cool with that.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

an iksar marauder posted:

Try anarchy online imo

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

AO is and was great, but BOY is it janky af coming from modern games.

It was even janky when it came out. Still, one of the coolest and most unique mmos I’ve played.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
if you're looking to scratch that old style MMO itch, UO Outlands is huge and is releasing their next expansion Q1 2024 - if you played UO back in the day and wondered what a spiritual successor to t2a would look like if designed in the last few years, come check it out

https://uooutlands.com/news/the-wildlands-expansion-coming-q4-2023/

thread here come play with us!!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Len posted:

If you don't care about era accuracy, your best bet is probably FFXI. It's soloable but still retains some of its jank from vanilla. You'll only be missing out on the social aspect. Everquest is also in a similar boat, soloable but more heavily dependent on that social aspect you're not going to get until you reach the end game.

I would not recommend live UO, at least. That was definitely a game that needed the conditions of the era to exist. It's a shell of its former self. Still, if you're curious, at least you can beat up mobs at your leisure?

Not sure I would recommend Dark Age of Camelot either. You basically get to skip the pve part, but it sounds like hardly anyone plays anymore.

If you want era accuracy, your best bet is a private server for the game you're most interested in. This is kind of a mixed bag depending on the game. There are no era accurate UO servers worth a spit, but Outlands is at least arguably "in spirit" and gets regular updates. Everquest does have a couple era accurate servers and they sound acceptable from what I hear. FFXI had an era accurate server, Horizons, but they recently decided to do their own thing, at least with the end game. DAoC private servers are in a weird revolving door state, every year or two everyone flocks to a new server, regardless of how era accurate that server is or not.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I actually don't think you would be missing the social aspect of FFXI! The game still has a huge playerbase.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Project Quarm honestly isn't a bad option right now for a vaguely accurate take on EQ where the lower levels are still populated (for now). That said it obviously requires the whole private server song and dance of go make account here, go download the game files off a wiki there, except for this one file, no, for this one you have to join their discord and get it there. At least they recently managed a fix that stopped the game from going apeshit if you had a modern AMD CPU, so I don't have to run it in a VM anymore.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I actually don't think you would be missing the social aspect of FFXI! The game still has a huge playerbase.

Yeah you still get people making fun of spicyran and shouting in jeuno for stuff

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
OSRS is the only old school MMO still getting supported with good content and a big player base

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I said come in! posted:

yeah, both the official servers and the couple of big private servers are fairly active at peak hours

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Started playing Fractured Online this week. I’d never heard a peep about it before then so I went in without any of the apparent kickstarter baggage if it’s past. Actually *really* digging it so far.

Then I wake up this morning, someone hacked one of the two megaservers and deleted a good chunk of all the player housing.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

You've convinced me, I'll try it

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Kevin Bacon posted:

You've convinced me, I'll try it

Just don’t build a house

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Which game is that?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Fractured Online, I never heard of it before hearing about the hack just now. Looks similar to Albion Online but the recent reviews on Steam are pretty solid

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy
Any details on what makes it different from Albion Online? I really really wanted to like Albion, like it has everything I think I should find interesting in a medieval PvP sandbox economy game but somehow I just couldn't get into it.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Bognar posted:

Any details on what makes it different from Albion Online? I really really wanted to like Albion, like it has everything I think I should find interesting in a medieval PvP sandbox economy game but somehow I just couldn't get into it.

So from the perspective of someone who plays and loves Albion:

The main two differences that immediately seem worth mentioning are that player housing is not instanced, and the loop of progression/combat. There are player run cities that have a number of purchasable lots surrounding the main town “hub”, so you’ll have actual “neighbors” with whom you’re working to improve your city’s capabilities (think early versions of new world) and defend the city from being destroyed by adversarial cities or organizations. As for the combat/progression, unlike how Albion ties your abilities to your gear, in FO you farm monsters for their abilities. So if you want to play a Pyromancer, you can look through the spell book for something that fits your build, see what monster provides the spell, and set off to “collect” the ability. So like, the first ability I wanted was in this mountain range full of goblins a la UO. There were other kinds of goblins besides the one I needed to farm, so I’d be fighting my way through the terrain and mobs to kill the specific goblin types I needed to gain “knowledge” of that goblin, like monster hunter. With a log book and all. As the knowledge bar goes up you eventually get the mob’s signature ability.

There’s a PvP megaserver and a PvE megaserver with opt-in PvP. Not sure how the town PvP works on the PvE server. On the PvP server, you get 40 hours of time where you’re immune to PvP. Most people use it to try to buy their plot of land and start a little homestead, as being part of a town makes a lot of the social stuff a lot easier as it’s basically a guild you have a skin stake in.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The monster ability learning stuff has me sold, that sounds cool as hell

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Duncan Idaho
Dougie Texas
Max California
Francis Vermont
Bingo Hawaii

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Fajita Queen posted:

The monster ability learning stuff has me sold, that sounds cool as hell

Yeah it's pretty cool because it's an open world PvE progression system that still relies on exploration and having a good grasp on your combat that isn't faceroll easy. I'm dying a lot but it feels like it's my fault and I can git gud to progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

I also just learned that the PvP and PvE "worlds" are actually connected via a portal and you can travel between the two to play the markets since different resources are more plentiful/only available on the separate worlds.