Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
You could easily say Stormtroopers are clones of various people, because why would they only duplicate Jangoes for thirty years - but that's not the Stormtroopers' narrative function in the Luke films. It's thematically important that they're just average guys like Han and Luke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Colonel Cool posted:

I've never even considered that the OT stormtroopers were retroactively declared to be clones.

The way I always understood it is that they ordered up a bunch of clones to fight the Clone Wars, the survivors graduated to become stormtroopers when the Republic became the Empire. And then they just recruited new stormtroopers the old fashioned way and let the clone troopers get phased out over time as they died/aged out.

Same

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Bespoke clones of one specific person being replaced by general issue Joes in masks fits in with the setting's transition between the prequels and the original series: the polished and ornamental being replaced by the practical and utilitarian.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You could easily say Stormtroopers are clones of various people, because why would they only duplicate Jangoes for thirty years - but that's not the Stormtroopers' narrative function in the Luke films. It's thematically important that they're just average guys like Han and Luke.

meaning it's entirely probable there are several stormtroopers who are force sensitive. lmao what a waste of Finn.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ammanas posted:

meaning it's entirely probable there are several stormtroopers who are force sensitive. lmao what a waste of Finn.

Finn basically had his entire arc right in front of him from the start when he took off that helmet in the trailer, that they threw away out of contrarianism, racism and idiocy.

Stormtrooper to Jedi, how do you gently caress that up?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
He's still force sensitive, just in that wistfully gazing off into the distance and "knowing" things way, not the fun telekinesis or lightning bolts way

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Glottis posted:

He's still force sensitive, just in that wistfully gazing off into the distance and "knowing" things way, not the fun telekinesis or lightning bolts way

Also not in the "gets to do more than Han Solo in Return of the Jedi" way

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
It really is crazy how good Boyega is in TFA and how totally wasted he was afterwards, it may be the most unforgivable sin in a trilogy filled with them

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Glottis posted:

People used to think that being "force sensitive" was just short hand for being an important character, but boy were they ever wrong.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Schwarzwald posted:

People used to think that being "force sensitive" was just short hand for being an important character, but boy were they ever wrong.

They are still kind of right. It's just that "being an important character" also demands other features, such as "being white, or a sexy alien"

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Glottis posted:

Using the force to yell "REY!!!" louder than humanly possible

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wolfsheim posted:

It really is crazy how good Boyega is in TFA and how totally wasted he was afterwards, it may be the most unforgivable sin in a trilogy filled with them

He’s good in TLJ too

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That cast is incredible and they do nothing with it. They had Domnhall Gleeson take phone calls and Max Von Sydow do one scene. Wasted series.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think it shoulda been writing on the wall when Finn gets his own goddamn Metal Gear grudge match boss fight and it ends with a joke. They were always going to waste him.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QCPahxsycI

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think it shoulda been writing on the wall when Finn gets his own goddamn Metal Gear grudge match boss fight and it ends with a joke. They were always going to waste him.

In the alternate universe where the movie was tying itself to Trevorrow's IX they weren't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzeIb-TZo_I

We live in the worst timeline.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

well why not posted:

That cast is incredible and they do nothing with it. They had Domnhall Gleeson take phone calls and Max Von Sydow do one scene. Wasted series.

Solo was also a waste of a really good cast for that matter

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Where did Disney Star Wars go so wrong? It's clearly not budget or cast.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The clones are both replicants and average joes, like the robot policemen from THX.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
It was the moment they decided, "We want to redo the OT."

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

That still feels a little off to me. I mean I feel like a theoretical ST that follows the OT even more closely, while probably extremely basic and of little actual merit, would have still been better liked overall.

I guess maybe the problem is that where they did try to graft new things onto the fundamental soft reboot the OT skeleton, they were generally nonsense and bad

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Fundamentally the sequel trilogy just had mediocre writing. They didn't care about the plot and they didn't have anything to say and it showed. The committee of suits only understands art on a superficial level. JJ Abrams is perfect for them; he is a competent director but the last time he gave a poo poo about the plot was like...Alias.

Although it was viewed as popular culture pap by many critics, even those who liked it, Lucas Star Wars was ultimately an auteur product. The closest thing we have going today is probably Avatar. (The one with blue people.)

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Fundamentally the sequel trilogy just had mediocre writing. They didn't care about the plot and they didn't have anything to say and it showed. The committee of suits only understands art on a superficial level. JJ Abrams is perfect for them; he is a competent director but the last time he gave a poo poo about the plot was like...Alias.

Although it was viewed as popular culture pap by many critics, even those who liked it, Lucas Star Wars was ultimately an auteur product. The closest thing we have going today is probably Avatar. (The one with blue people.)

Yeah Disney in general has had this problem a lot recently with their Marvel stuff as well. Secret Invasion probably being the pinnacle; people were expecting it to be the Andor of the MCU and instead they got.. idk Kenobi

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Star Wars's dirty little secret is that it's not that engaging of a setting in itself: its aliens are bland, it's too beholden to the Jedi vs Sith stuff, etc. Side fictions have occasionally raised to the level of enjoyable sci-fi but often feel encumbered by the franchise around them.

What was interesting about the Lucas movies was that they presented a coherent artistic vision with a closed story (hence "they died"). If you wanted to expand on this stuff you need something new to say and Disney can't do that, they're here for Content, and when they acquired Star Wars it was to have the right to all the classic stuff. Telling new stories is secondary and even counterproductive.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Colonel Cool posted:

When they decided to make a trilogy without an idea for what the whole trilogy was, and without even making sure the same team was working on all three parts of the trilogy.

All the problems in the sequels come down to competing visions and pissing contests between teams and movies.

All the problems in the shows come down to fear of having anything tie into the sequels, and thus needing to over explore and over explain the time period before the sequels.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

YaketySass posted:

Star Wars's dirty little secret is that it's not that engaging of a setting in itself: its aliens are bland, it's too beholden to the Jedi vs Sith stuff, etc. Side fictions have occasionally raised to the level of enjoyable sci-fi but often feel encumbered by the franchise around them.

What was interesting about the Lucas movies was that they presented a coherent artistic vision with a closed story (hence "they died"). If you wanted to expand on this stuff you need something new to say and Disney can't do that, they're here for Content, and when they acquired Star Wars it was to have the right to all the classic stuff. Telling new stories is secondary and even counterproductive.

it's what makes the expanded universe so fascinating: the scaffolding that supports it so so nonfunctional that it's just piles and piles of incoherent horseshit that you can sometimes find a crumb of good storytelling in when a legitimately talented writer decides to take a shot

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Colonel Cool posted:

lovely writing and whiteboard meetings about how to make starwars mean everything to everyone over actual good storytelling

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was rushed but I’d rather watch TLJ than any dave filoni cartoon

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Everyone involved had the highest Care Levels possible - but that simply won't ever save you from bad storytelling!

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Was there actually a lot of corporate board room meddling with the ST? I haven't looked into it myself, but I know someone who's much more interested in that side of things who at least claims that Disney largely let JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson do their own thing with the movies. Outside of a few tweaks to do things like make them more China friendly, anyway.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

JJ in JJ's account seemed to mostly get his way with the exception of the release dates, which led to his movies having highly rushed productions. Rian has pretty much always maintained he 100% made the movie he wanted to make.

The question has always been if you think they're just playing nice or not

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Force Awakens was kind of allowed to evolve on its own, starting with Lucas' outlines and then deviating from there. Then in 2014 (when the movie was filming, so more or less set in stone) a bunch of Lucasfilm execs had a meeting to brainstorm ideas for the trilogy. That's where ideas like "Leia redeems Kylo" and "Rey gets adopted by the Skywalkers" were decided on for the overall narrative.

Rian Johnson seemed to have a lot of freedom with his movie, and since it was the middle movie, the high level endgame stuff that Lucasfilm wanted didn't really affect him.

The idea to feture Palpatine might also have been an executive decision. Colin Trevorrow's script includes Palpatine in a way that really seems like Trevorrow thinks it's a stupid idea and explicitly says the Darth Plagueis stuff is bullshit.

There also would have been a lot of discussions about what to do with Leia after Carrie Fisher's death, and it seems really likely that the Lucasfilm execs were involved in those discussions.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Johnson just had a short time to do it since they all had to basically make these movies at the same time so they can assembly line them every other year.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Absolutely incompetent management is pretty key to a lot of Disney Star Wars failings; overmanaging poo poo that doesn't matter and neglecting the stuff that does, letting JJ 'Mystery Box' Abrams start your trilogy with no idea how it's going to end, and then the repeated last-minute panic and cutting room massacres most obvious with Rogue One and TRoS. And the repeated pattern of the TV shows being allowed to be good until they get too successful, then the c-suite who are done ruining the movies descend on them to 'help'.

CelticPredator posted:

It was rushed but I’d rather watch TLJ than any dave filoni cartoon

You're a normie, we get it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

that’s a normie opinion?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Johnson just had a short time to do it since they all had to basically make these movies at the same time so they can assembly line them every other year.

Because he was the only person on the Disney Star Wars movies who wasn't replaced partway through (or was brought in to replace someone else), he actually had the most time out of any of the other filmmakers to work on his movie.
  • Abrams was hired in January 2013 for Episode VII, but was pretty hands off until he was done with Star Trek Into Darkness later that spring. He also pretty much had to beg the Disney execs to move the release date from May 2015 to December so they could actually finish the movie instead having to just stop working on it.
  • Gareth Edwards was announced as director of Rogue One in May 2014, with Tony Gilroy taking over in 2016 to do rewrites and reshoots.
  • Lord & Miller were infamously fired partway through filming Solo and replaced with Ron Howard.
  • Colin Trevorrow was announced as director of Episode IX in August of 2015, and spent two years doing what would ultimately be throwaway work, being fired a few months before The Last Jedi came out, and Abrams was hastily called back to redo Trevorrow's two years of development work in about 3 months.

Compared to all those other guys, Johnson being able to spend nearly 3 years with his movie (2014 - 2017) seems relatively leisurely.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

CelticPredator posted:

that’s a normie opinion?

Yeah, most star wars adjacent but not super fan people seem to hate the cartoons and say they're for kids and that they'd never watch it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I don't like the thought of kids watching Star Wars!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

KittyEmpress posted:

Yeah, most star wars adjacent but not super fan people seem to hate the cartoons and say they're for kids and that they'd never watch it.

I just don’t like the way filoni does his stories. Just doesn’t interest me. Idgaf about if it’s for kids or not. Ashoka stank and to me it’s the worst Star Wars piece of media ever released. Just completely devoid of any joy