Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I'm p sure 30k only exists because they think there are lots of people mad about primaris and wanted to have an old school short marines game for them, so the pose choices probably reflect that mentality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's all space marines to me.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Still cant get over how loving awesome Asmodai's new model is, they really hit a childhood nostalgia nerve with that one lol

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Is the Elimination Maniple Admech Box a good deal at 190 USD? My biggest issue with the box is that it has too many tracked guys but it might be a good way to get Belisarius?

https://www.amazon.com/Warhammer-40...0BNJ32K96&psc=1

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

Is the Elimination Maniple Admech Box a good deal at 190 USD? My biggest issue with the box is that it has too many tracked guys but it might be a good way to get Belisarius?

https://www.amazon.com/Warhammer-40...0BNJ32K96&psc=1

that costs just a bit more than 80% of msrp, so it's a good deal in that sense.

the skitarii and the kataphrons (tracked guys) are the most useful models in the set atm, and the kataphrons usually go for $20 per. compared to buying those models on their own at the usual 15% discount, you're paying $40 USD for the robots and cawl. if you want one of those two, then it's worth it.

if you really despise the kataphrons and consider them worthless, the box set isn't worth it even if you want everything else, but i'm not sure why you'd scorn cyborg tank servitors if you're interested in admech.

e: amazon still has admech boarding patrols for $119, 15% off msrp, and they are a better value in addition to not having any bummer units. but, ofc, if you're looking for cawl then obviously they don't have him.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 19, 2023

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Eediot Jedi posted:

It's interesting that the heresy assault marines have grounded poses, meanwhile 40k assault marines are kickflipping themselves off of the nearest convenient rubble.

I like the grounded poses way more than the mid-jump ones, mostly why I turned the legionaries into raptors upthread

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Lostconfused posted:

If I was going to pick a space marine chapter it would be Crimson Fists, because I like the Ultarmarines color scheme, but I don't want to come off as too vanilla.

Oddly enough they're a successor to the imperial fists though, hah.

Before I decided on Genestealers I was toying with a Knights Hospitaller Scheme for a combined SM and Sisters army

Wherever they go they found hospitals but only after destroing secularheretical healthcare systems

War and Pieces fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 19, 2023

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

War and Pieces posted:

Before I decided on Genestealers I was toying with a Knights Hospitaller Scheme for a combined SM and Sisters army

I bet this would look awesome with the new Dark Angels that are coming out.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

War and Pieces posted:

Wherever they go they found hospitals but only after destroing secularheretical healthcare systems

That flat red is so eye catching, but it's probably not easy to get it to look like that on a mini.

Like look at this lame craftworld color scheme

I have no idea why games-worshop insists on pushing this one other than Biel-Tan colors being too space elf for them.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Saim-Hann actually looks great in person.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

EdsTeioh posted:

They're 10 points more for a squad of 5 but Deathwatch can take 3 Terminator heavy weapons, so they're basically just straight up better than Deathwing.

You're right. I read it as the same for some reason, with Deathwing getting the same amount.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Lostconfused posted:

That flat red is so eye catching, but it's probably not easy to get it to look like that on a mini.

Like look at this lame craftworld color scheme

I have no idea why games-worshop insists on pushing this one other than Biel-Tan colors being too space elf for them.

What the hell?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Looking at a normal deathwing terminators, yeah I'm more interested and excited for a line-up that looks more like this than I am for the deathwing Knights:-

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cease to Hope posted:

also it's another release that is not a troops unit with chainswords despite melee being the gimmick of like half the legions in 30K. i am gonna keep complaining about this because they had a unit like that and they loving discontinued it.
Assault marines are scoring troops in 30k and come in units of 10-20. Any legion can run up to 120 of the idiots if they really want to.

If you're talking about despoilers they definitely still exist as an option. Unfortunately, right now they're sold as a set of expensive resin arms. They're compatible with both the mkVI and mkIII kits thanks to the little spare vambraces that come with the mkIII. Though we are getting a plastic melee weapon sprue in Spring 2024 according to the 30k roadmap. With how well the special and heavy weapon sets turned out I'm pretty excited to get that thing. I've been holding off on despoilers as a result.

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I'm p sure 30k only exists because they think there are lots of people mad about primaris and wanted to have an old school short marines game for them, so the pose choices probably reflect that mentality.
30k's been an official game since like 2012. It predates the primaris range by a lot. It still exists because it's popular; it got a big boost back in 7th edition with two plastic box sets that really helped get more people into the game. The big plastic push starting with the launch of 2.0 has been great too. There is definitely a grog element to it though, I'm not going to deny that. I'm one of them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah I played a lot of HH ages ago because I wanted Emperor's Children in all their gilded glory. Phoenix spears :argh:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

It still exists because it's popular; it got a big boost back in 7th edition with two plastic box sets that really helped get more people into the game.

6th and 7th's deplorable states also helped giving the game a boost as I recall.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cooked Auto posted:

6th and 7th's deplorable states also helped giving the game a boost as I recall.

Yeah 40k was a slog and they made the rules a bit better. I suppose factions all being baseline similar helped the game out as well. It was cool though it made your special boys feel genuinely special when they entered the space marine mosh pit.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Safety Factor posted:

Assault marines are scoring troops in 30k and come in units of 10-20. Any legion can run up to 120 of the idiots if they really want to.

If you're talking about despoilers they definitely still exist as an option [but in resin]

my bad, i'm too used to thinking of assault squads as FA rather than troops. i was thinking of both despoilers and tac squads.

the resin despoiler upgrades are a joke; it's cheaper to buy legionaries, blood claws, or assault intercessors just to cannibalize the arms. i knew about the still-fairly-far-off melee sprue (i think because you told me about it last time i complained, lol) but it still gripes my rear end because the old mk3 box came with chainswords and GW cancelled it before most stores could reorder it after selling out.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Captain Magic posted:

You're right. I read it as the same for some reason, with Deathwing getting the same amount.

I didn't realize Deathwatch could even do that until my buddy was dropping squads with 3 Cyclones each and I tried calling him out. WOOPS.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Cease to Hope posted:

that costs just a bit more than 80% of msrp, so it's a good deal in that sense.

the skitarii and the kataphrons (tracked guys) are the most useful models in the set atm, and the kataphrons usually go for $20 per. compared to buying those models on their own at the usual 15% discount, you're paying $40 USD for the robots and cawl. if you want one of those two, then it's worth it.

if you really despise the kataphrons and consider them worthless, the box set isn't worth it even if you want everything else, but i'm not sure why you'd scorn cyborg tank servitors if you're interested in admech.

e: amazon still has admech boarding patrols for $119, 15% off msrp, and they are a better value in addition to not having any bummer units. but, ofc, if you're looking for cawl then obviously they don't have him.

I’d also say if you really don’t like kataphrons stay away from admech for now since they’re the only halfway decent unit in the book and 100% of admech lists that want to be even mildly competitive run the full 18 of them. they’re a big crutch in a dumpster fire of an index.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I’d also say if you really don’t like kataphrons stay away from admech for now since they’re the only halfway decent unit in the book and 100% of admech lists that want to be even mildly competitive run the full 18 of them. they’re a big crutch in a dumpster fire of an index.

yeah I'm just gonna wait and see what the codex shapes up like. I very much prefer the Horses, Stilts, rangers, androids, renessiane knights, fat sorcerer, Electromancer, and flyers aesthetics and the spider tank, not so much the Kataphrons and sentinel robots.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 19, 2023

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Visited family and brought back a lot of my older mid 2000s-era stunties, some of which I'll probably strip and dismantle for bits, some others I'll repaint like my classic box dreadnaught. Overall they're better than I expected them to be, but a lot of these guys spent more than a decade dusting down in a store display, and I think the grime and dust has permanently set into the plastic

These totally not ultramarines were a novamarine successor chapter that I called "Hoplites" or something. I think I even had a forum post on dakkadakka or some other ancient lore subforum where I had full backstory and everything. IIRC part of their gimmick was working closely with the tithed imperial guard regiments of their homeworld, the hoplon to the space marines proverbial spear or some nonsense like that.

Exacto knife + terminator head = grey knight terminator helmet for cheap plus some other random duders. I was really into kitbashing stuff!

I remember being SO happy with this guy, but I definitely did NOT thin my paints

Kind of impressed that I managed to finagle a two-handed sword grip with what I assume to be a pistol hand, and it inspired me to try something similar with one of my new assault marines

e: took some more pictures

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 19, 2023

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I just finished assembling my first full resin miniatures - three Venatari Custodians. It went OK I think, but resin is a pain in the rear end to work with, and I don't understand why GW casts such small pieces. Worst of all, it's so fragile that I'm worried that if these models get so much as a nudge, they'll explode in a cloud of resin dust and crystallized superglue.

Athas fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 19, 2023

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
I am going to start work this week on a forge world vendetta gunship that my pal sold me about a month ago

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Safety Factor posted:

30k's been an official game since like 2012. It predates the primaris range by a lot. It still exists because it's popular; it got a big boost back in 7th edition with two plastic box sets that really helped get more people into the game. The big plastic push starting with the launch of 2.0 has been great too. There is definitely a grog element to it though, I'm not going to deny that. I'm one of them.

Oh huh, I stand corrected!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/19/sunday-preview-machine-vs-machine/

In a slight surprise, or an indication of GW's continuing supply issues, both the new Necron and AdMech codexes will go up for pre-order next weekend.

Featuring probably one of the fast Reveal to Release turnarounds with the new Orikan model.
More interestingly, we also have a pair of stand alone releases, with the previous Overlord and the Royal Warden getting their own releases.

Both factions also get combat patrols and datacards obviously.

Beyond that there's some Necromunda terrain, crawler tank and kill team mission & tac ops cards.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 19, 2023

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/19/sunday-preview-machine-vs-machine/

In a slight surprise, or an indication of GW's continuing supply issues, both the new Necron and AdMech codexes will go up for pre-order next weekend.

Featuring probably one of the fast Reveal to Release turnarounds with the new Orikan model.
More interestingly, we also have a pair of stand alone releases, with the previous Overlord and the Royal Warden getting their own releases.

Both factions also get combat patrols and datacards obviously.

Beyond that there's some Necromunda terrain, crawler tank and kill team mission & tac ops cards.

Ah, I was just thinking at least one was going to be dropping in the new year, since the winter/spring calendar is open to interpretation. Nice that we might have Dark Angels angels in January then

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

God damnit I just want the necromunda releases to be in plastic for god's sake

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Good luck, the only Necromunda plastic is terrain and squads for the most part.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

Good luck, the only Necromunda plastic is terrain and squads for the most part.

I know it's just frustrating. We get a generic truck in an expensive plastic kit that nobody really wanted but squats can't get a plastic vehicle release alongside everyone else's plastic vehicles. I wish they'd gone with something smaller that would've justified it being in plastic like the bikes, etc.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

It should be interesting to see if they manage to fix and polish Admech with the new codex, if so ill probably get the combat patrol.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Al-Saqr posted:

Looking at a normal deathwing terminators, yeah I'm more interested and excited for a line-up that looks more like this than I am for the deathwing Knights:-

I'm guessing that the Knights kit is going to build off of the regular Terminator kit in such a way that you can just put Terminator arms on the Knight bodies to make regular Deathwing Terminators as opposed to the Knights. (Similar to multipart Terminator arms fitting on the push fit ones)

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

S.J. posted:

I know it's just frustrating. We get a generic truck in an expensive plastic kit that nobody really wanted but squats can't get a plastic vehicle release alongside everyone else's plastic vehicles. I wish they'd gone with something smaller that would've justified it being in plastic like the bikes, etc.

Have you thought about converting GSC or other stuff for Squats? I’ve toyed with it a bit but I haven’t landed on anything I like, wondering what other people have done.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I like the Squat floating bike, but I'd really appreciate some old school influenced Squat choppers

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Captain Magic posted:

Have you thought about converting GSC or other stuff for Squats? I’ve toyed with it a bit but I haven’t landed on anything I like, wondering what other people have done.

Well yeah that would be easy enough, but I also was hoping for something that wasn't so explicitly imperial. I might end up ordering one just to convert it up as a Hekaton for my Leagues though, so I think I might be incorporating some of the squat characters into my army anyways since I was looking to have more of a 'mining operation' vibe going on.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

It should be interesting to see if they manage to fix and polish Admech with the new codex

I feel like we all already know the answer to this in our heart of hearts.

But if they want to move more AdMech product it would be in their best interest to do so.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I can only imagine Goonhammer has the rant from the index card release ready to be reposted.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

Yeah, that was just the Summer 2024 slot in this case.

This is tangential to painting minis, but. Guard got a new codex a year ago and it was kind of effectively scrapped a few months later?

Maybe I would want to get some other minis on the side if there's not going to be much going on for them for maybe a year or something.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
yeah it's a feel bad situation for sure, but ultimately I think that 'the rule of cool' comes in here. Collect what you find cool and build at your own speed and hobby level. The rules eventually come around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Well in the case of Guard and WE it's a bit of an unfortunate situation because a world wide pandemic happened but GW is locked into a 3 year cycle of big releases for each of their major IPs (40k, 30k, AoS)