Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
The fight is easy-ish using any cheese you want, yeah. But if you don't, especially with bell, it's... I don't want to say impossible but gently caress that. If you don't get bodyguard out or on your side or main man down to one finishing blow before he gets to swinging you're gonna have a real bad time

I didn't have any luck using puppet on bodyguard. Tried that but it was too chaotic. I just got rid of him and landed a finishing blow on 7 Spears when he failed to notice. I kited them towards the cliff and ran away until they reset to open up the opportunity to fblow bodyguard AND fblow spears, otherwise I could only do one or the other. But 7 spears not noticing and attacking after bodyguard goes down is pretty luck-based or at least hard to duplicate consistently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
The AI is pretty dumb about choosing targets and will always go after who hit last, so to effectively use puppets you have to keep letting the puppet take aggro, do a few hits and back off until puppet catches aggro again, and repeat

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

text editor posted:

This fight was trivial if you backstab the bodyguard, puppet him, and then stab and puppet him again around the time you get the 1st deathblow on the 7 spears (basically this resets the timer on a puppet)

edit: gave the Genchiro/Isshin a few more goes last night and I can clear Genchiro without taking hits pretty reliably and first round Isshin without taking hits (I do have to chip his health down to 0 though) but as soon as he pulls out that spear and that traditional Japanese semi-automic pistol I start falling apart so fast. he's making big swings are covering a lot of distance and it's hard to get a read on half the moves

If you're getting Isshin's first phase on HP damage you're doing it wrong imo, you need to be learning his moves and getting the constant strings of hits/parries to overwhelm his posture

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Yeah I realize that's what I'm supposed to do but I can just take 0 hits during the phase if I just circle around him until he reaches for his hilt to do the dash+cross slash move or the one with the 2 waves of blades and get 2 free hits on him and break off and just worry about parrying when my timing is off or he manages to close the gap

I stopped trying to take him head on because I was burning sugars/heals/emblems I need for stages 2/3 and I can only time the mikiti on his short stab like 1 out of every 3 times

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Okay but unless you hyper-cheese the second and third phases you're going to have to hone your parry reflexes to beat those, so you may as well get stuck in and learn the rhythm of his moves. Also, keep your powder dry on sugars/consumable heals until you're confident you have a handle on the fight, you're just burning resources if you use them on a run you have no chance of winning

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

if you get close to him when he sheathes his sword to get ready for ashina cross he'll always do a quick attack (easily parried) immediately followed by a sweep attack

it's super predictable and you'll quickly reach the point where you get excited when you see him sheath his sword because it's free posture damage

then you'll get to the point where all his attacks make you feel that way

then you win

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
I actually prefer using Bestowal on the first General before the second Seven Spears, I really dislike having allies in Sekiro/LoP because it makes enemy movesets unpredictable. Bestowal blood blades deal chip damage through guards, and the enemy has a hard time deflecting and counterattacking.

Also first phase Isshin has very low posture recovery, meaning you need to deal hardly any chip damage to vitality before you can completely drain his posture with deflects. It’s second and third phase spear Isshin that has high posture recovery, and requires you to deal about a third of their vitality before posture damage sticks.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
You can still cheese 1st phase isshin. He can get trapped in a parry loop pretty easily if you attack him and parry his counter.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I wouldn't call being aggressive to attack him as much as possible "cheesing". More like using the combat system the way the devs wanted you to
Hesitation etc.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

I wouldn't call being aggressive to attack him as much as possible "cheesing". More like using the combat system the way the devs wanted you to
Hesitation etc.

You can cause him to loop a specific attack string by interrupting it with an attack, which causes him to counterattack with the string.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
If it's the loop I'm thinking about, he'll eventually get bored and do the thing where he strafes you and goes for a thrust, and after the mikiri he can back off and do either ashina cross or the shockwave ichimonji

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Beat a fresh save charmless and with the bell demon. Less changed than I thought it would, a small number of enemies can almost 1-shot you because they deal more damage. Funny that the upgrades I wanted most after mikiri counter were the shinobi medicine ones, because every hit required a gourd swig. As usual I died the most to O’Rin, tied with Owl (Father) at 3 deaths. She is brutal till I remember to still myself and let her come to me.

Overall a fun run, the added health and posture meant all bosses required me to chip them down before building posture on them, they recover too fast with both debuffs - which wasn’t quite as fun as demonstrating mastery by breaking posture without damaging health, but the longer fights were still a treat.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hello thread!

Just got the game last week after deciding that I'm willing to live with 720p resolution in order to get it playable. First thing I did was button mash to death what I realized was a nonhostile NPC in the flashback area, his body persists on reload =[ Hopefully I've not screwed the pooch...
After dying approximately 500 times on each of the minor bosses, I came to the guy on a horse who had a whole intro and he immediately ate poo poo - I couldn't believe it. I'm still terrified of the goddamn spear monks, and a major boss couldn't even knock me down twice.

Questions! Do I need to hold off on using this anti-rot stuff? Used one, then everyone got sick again and I just found another. I feel tempted to hoard them? Also the headless ghost guy in a cave just seems to win on a terror clock that I can't beat, I'm down to my last anti-ghost item, suggestions? I already ran past him and found a do-not-touch bell, but he's still there, unalive, mocking me.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ignore the undead enemies until the endgame, you'll eventually be able to buy infinite confettis and the fights will still be miserable to do at max strength. And yeah save dragon's blood droplets until you've got quite a few people sick, none of them will die. You do get a fair few through the game but you still don't want to spaff them all anytime a single person gets sick

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh fark that OP is really full of top notch tips, good work for compiling that guys, thanks. That video at the end is nice too.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I’ve beaten a bunch of Souls games, Wo-Long, and most recently Lies of P. I’m always trash at them when I start, but settle in and find my groove and it’s fine.

I’ve been trying to get Sekiro to click for a week and I’m just ramming my head into the wall. What little progress I’ve made comes by sheer luck after dozens of deaths.

I beat the chained ogre and cannot put a dent in the camp/palace place that comes after it. The other route I can find to go lands me with the Drunkard guy, who one shots me, and is surrounded by a dozen guys. There’s also the headless guy who I tried once and never want to fight again.

One on one, I can handle basic enemies. The problem is there are very few one on one encounters. I usually love using stealth in games and I find the stealth in Sekiro almost entirely useless. You kill a guy and a dude a half a mile away instantly spots you and you’re cooked.

There don’t seem to be builds or leveling or gear to upgrade. I’m trying to focus on deflecting and I don’t lie, parrying is my worst aspect in other From games so that isn’t working in my favor. I have a real hard time reading what’s going to be a swing vs a thrust vs an unblockable (and then, what kind of unblockable) and feel like I’m just playing whack a mole with my reactions and hoping it works out. My brain can’t process this poo poo quickly enough and send the right signals to my hands. Like I am not wired for this game.

I really like the art style, music, graphics, story, the combat when it’s just me against one guy, but it’s getting frustrating enough that I’m not sure I’ll end up continuing. Anyone else managed to go from “unbelievably terrible for a straight week” to actually making this game work? I keep trying to force myself to have fun doing this and it’s not working anymore.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

disengage! in souls games you can be cocky and fight loads of mobs at once, but in this you wanna be a mercenary coward and fight on your terms only, if there's too many guys just run away and pick them off from another angle when their aggro resets!

'a shinobi would know the difference between honour and victory'

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Wamsutta posted:

Anyone else managed to go from “unbelievably terrible for a straight week” to actually making this game work? I keep trying to force myself to have fun doing this and it’s not working anymore.
Yup, when the game first came out, I spent countless hours getting my rear end handed to me on a boss that’s coming up for you shortly. It took a while past that Genichiro before things really clicked for me.

Advice for parrying is that the window is much much larger than other souls games and you can kinda feather it and almost mash against enemies you haven’t figured out yet. If you don’t perfectly parry a blow you can still often have it blocked this way and not take too much damage. Also keep in mind you have no stamina bar! So you can always choose to run and reposition at any time with little consequence. Good luck and I hope it clicks for you! It’s my comfort game of the last few years, not much like it really

Lisztless
Jun 25, 2005

E-flat affect

If you can beat Dark Souls 3 or Elden Ring, you can absolutely understand Sekiro. You just need to approach it differently: with naked, unrelenting aggression.

You have no stamina bar, so feel free to swing away and let them react to you, rather than the other way around. Once you do that, you will lock most enemies down and they only have a small handful of responses to your attacks. Once you hear the telltale “cling cling cling CLONK” sound of them deflecting your onslaught, that’s your cue to start reading what they’re going to do next. If they’re attacking, but they don’t have that red kanji overhead, you can safely deflect it, and that window is very generous compared to other Souls games. Practice feathering the trigger to deflect, even if it feels like you might take a hit by doing so.

If they do have the red kanji overhead and they…
…have their arms out, it’s a grab. Dodge.
…have their blade away or behind them, it’s a sweep. Jump and stomp.
…have their blade tip pointed at you, it’s a thrust. Mikiri counter it.

This is like 95% of Sekiro combat, with the remainder being perfecting deflection timing for maximum posture damage, mixing in prosthetic tools and items to create openings or deal extra damage, and dealing with multiple enemies at once.

For Juzou, kill as many of his buddies via stealth as you can, beeline to kill the more troublesome ones (namely shields/projectiles) before Juzou gets in your grill, and then have your samurai buddy help with the big boy. You’ll get him.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Wamsutta posted:

I’ve beaten a bunch of Souls games, Wo-Long, and most recently Lies of P. I’m always trash at them when I start, but settle in and find my groove and it’s fine.

I’ve been trying to get Sekiro to click for a week and I’m just ramming my head into the wall. What little progress I’ve made comes by sheer luck after dozens of deaths.

I beat the chained ogre and cannot put a dent in the camp/palace place that comes after it. The other route I can find to go lands me with the Drunkard guy, who one shots me, and is surrounded by a dozen guys. There’s also the headless guy who I tried once and never want to fight again.

One on one, I can handle basic enemies. The problem is there are very few one on one encounters. I usually love using stealth in games and I find the stealth in Sekiro almost entirely useless. You kill a guy and a dude a half a mile away instantly spots you and you’re cooked.

There don’t seem to be builds or leveling or gear to upgrade. I’m trying to focus on deflecting and I don’t lie, parrying is my worst aspect in other From games so that isn’t working in my favor. I have a real hard time reading what’s going to be a swing vs a thrust vs an unblockable (and then, what kind of unblockable) and feel like I’m just playing whack a mole with my reactions and hoping it works out. My brain can’t process this poo poo quickly enough and send the right signals to my hands. Like I am not wired for this game.

I really like the art style, music, graphics, story, the combat when it’s just me against one guy, but it’s getting frustrating enough that I’m not sure I’ll end up continuing. Anyone else managed to go from “unbelievably terrible for a straight week” to actually making this game work? I keep trying to force myself to have fun doing this and it’s not working anymore.

Yeah. This game has a big learning curve and at least three of the bosses made me feel like I was never going to beat it, but at the end I jumped right into NG+ without a second thought.

When you get a bit farther you’ll start to get attack/health upgrades and unlock skill trees and new prosthetics. It’s not what I would call full-on character building but you will start to get more options in a fight, some of them very strong.

Fighting multiple enemies at once is to be avoided. You can sprint around and reposition faster than most of them can follow you. It’s also important to take the lead in fights and not wait for them to attack you. The easiest way to get deflects is to attack until the enemy deflects you, then guard their counterattack. This will help you break posture and kill guys quicker and hopefully not get swarmed.

Headless are for late game and can be safely ignored.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

This flaming bull is kicking the poo poo out of me. I feel like im doing barely any damage(yes I used the memory from the horsey boss before this)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I just did these two fights like this week, so my 2c:

The Bull takes a lot of hits, but he has huge huge windows every time he hits a wall, and you can firecracker him for even bigger windows. I found jumping (not dodging) forward/sideways tended to have more than a 3/4ths chance of evading all his charges, which was good enough to brute strength it. Hold down the run button a lot.

Wamsutta posted:

Drunkard can be ignored for a bit, but if you wanna go at him you need to whittle down his friends first. Use a backstab plus whatever you have to close distances fast (shuriken + slash, jump-in combat art) combined with a lot of RUNNING AWAY to hit&run the crowd while keeping drunkard chasing behind you. Once he's solo, you can wake up the nearby friendly NPC and it's now a pinch, the drunkard's attacks are all comically telegraphed. Hardest part is setting up for the fight without burning through all your healing items imo.

By immediately behind the Ogre do you mean another miniboss with a huge entourage? If so, you're expected to pick them all off via stealth before fighting the big Samurai. If they spot you, you can run around fighting them out of eyeshot of the miniboss and he'll take forever to walk his way around to see what the noise is, and by then you'll have hopefully dispatched them all then can start his fight with a backstab. Or you can walk around that entire fight - the way forward is not the headless guy, it's behind the camp elsehwhere. If that's not what's blocking you, the next big fight is... a major bossfight, which I don't think is what you meant.

Keep going, as once you get past the main gates of Ashina Castle the game breaks open with like 4 different areas to advance, it's much better.

----

My own nemesis was the Halbard guy in the Ashina Basin, after banging my head on him all night I slept on it, and beat him first try the next play session - I had clearly been tilting.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Blazing Bull is just not a great boss, but apparently it’s relatively easy to just run to the opposite side of the arena to bait its charge attack which is an auto-stun on parry.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

I posted about a recently that those two bosses were where I got hung up too

I kind of cheesed the guy in the fort by playing with his patching by making him stay on the ledge of that building you walk through above the ogre. I didn't really catch on until the next boss and the game finally really clicked at the one after, but once that clicked for me everything after felt possible, even if it felt like it wasn't on first approach (glances at the Guardian Ape and his fast/frantic looking moveset ..)

The trick is to not just spam block/parry, learn to figure out when it will actually connect, then you'll realize that parry windows are far more forgiving than elden ring

Also. it is crucial that you get Mikiri counter and understand not just how it works, but when to use it and just as crucially which unlockable attacks to NOT use it on

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Mr.Acula posted:

This flaming bull is kicking the poo poo out of me. I feel like im doing barely any damage(yes I used the memory from the horsey boss before this)

Once his charge hits a wall he'll either do his loony tunes turn and charge again, or he'll stop and thrash around. If you run after him and make sure you're on the inside of his turn, you can thwack him once or twice and then chase him again. If he stops and thrashes you can stick to the side of his butt and attack until he runs off again.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've just started on the skill uptick, but I feel I had a really long plateau at zero skill beforehand. The game's early structure really didn't feel like I was having fun learning with the linear paths and repeated roadblocks - like I was suffering through some sort of hazing that I'd only appreciate later on. Like I'm bowling my way through a bunch of Shaolin Monks and having the time of my life now, but and am wondering why the early bits weren't this fun? Was it me? Where the lessons too simple so I couldn't have freeform fun? I don't know.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Imho Sekiro suffers from the same problem like every From game except DS1/BB have, which is that the early game is just straight up less forgiving. Once you get far enough you have more of a buffer with extra estus water charges, and Sekiro just straight up exacerbates the problem in that you start learning skills that make the game easier, like Mikiri Counter is overly generous and turns every thrust attack into free huge posture damage, you can just get back a chunk of your health with backstabs, turn backstabbed enemies into ally NPCs, straight up sneak better, etc.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Wamsutta posted:

Chained ogre is an outlier in terms of how you engage them and win the fight. Besides a couple other outliers like Blazing Bull it's not how you will typically fight.

Drunk Juzou is the first real filter of the game. My advice is at the water, run to the left. Stealth kill however many people you can. Normal kill the rest. If you need to disengage then return do so - Run and Hide is super super reliable and good to do in this game, you'll want to do it. Then talk to the guy in the water, he'll start fighting Juzou. Get in there when it's safe and hit him. When your ally dies, you can kite Jouzo around the rocks in the water and get cheap running-hit-disengage attacks in well enough.

Juzou shows up as an enemy a few times and eventually you'll be good enough to just fight him straight on, but this is a good cheese if you just want to press forward. By the way, you can run past the enemies on the way to Juzou, they'll disengage.

You'll want to use Divine Confetti to fight the headless enemies. Wait til end game or simply don't fight them, as they're optional. I can't stand the fight and haven't bothered after a few failed attempts.

Wamsutta posted:

Run away, hide, let them start walking back to their posts, stab em. Repeat. You don't always have to do this but you will want to not infrequently.

Wamsutta posted:

You can get through the whole game without upgrading gear just fine. But not without upgrading your moveset. Get Mikiri Counter ASAP. Then practice it. Parrying is not an optional mechanic in this game. It is the mechanic. You have to just grind it out until you have the timing down.

A few tips:

Be aggressive. You want to be all up in pretty much every enemy's face as often as possible (with tactical disengages). Get in their grill and swing away.

Now that you're being aggressive, watch for when they deflect your attack. You'll know it from the spark and the sound cue. Up until that spark they will be just normal blocking. Once that spark happens they WILL counterattack, it's cueing you to parry.

Usually the best time to react to an unblockable attack is when the red kanji starts to fade. When it starts to fade, B for Mikiri counter on a thrust, or A to jump over a sweep. Sometimes you can also simply dodge or run straight backwards until their animation ends but not always.

Wamsutta posted:

Yup, I got absolutely filtered at the same junction you have. I was stuck between a Juzou wall and a Lady Butterfly rock and I quit. Put it down for like 9 months. In the interim I played Lies of P and for some reason my Mental was peak when I engaged that parry-demanding quite hard game. After getting halfway through the last chapter I got bored and said okay, Sekiro time.

Juzou still gave me a difficult time. Lady Butterfly still gave me a difficult time. I called it quits on Lady Butterfly and did the Juzou cheese above. Managed more or less fine until Genichiro. Then it was time to really bite down and get good. That fight will teach you how to play the game and I wish it were earlier. I beat my head against it until I got good.

I watched a video for tips and it helped. Watching someone else play the fight can be very instructive. No shame in it.

Put it down for a while if you're not having fun but it was one of the most rewarding gaming experiences of my life.

If you want a fight before Genichiro that can help you learn timings, Lady Butterfly is a decent teacher as well. If you haven't seen her yet, use the Buddha statue at the Shinobi arm guy (to his left), she's at the end of the level.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The early game is rough because success in this game is based on familiarity with enemy animations. You have to be able to read their actions to time defense and attack. I guess some people can learn this super fast but for me it took time. They try to make sure you can learn the basics without pressure (the undying guy at temple), but every new enemy you have to learn all over again. And this game kicks your rear end for dying too. Because you can resurrect they felt no compunction about punishing you for double death, it’s harsher than really any of these other games, even Demons Souls. you have like a 70%+ chance to just lose half your poo poo with no possibility of retrieval. it hurts. Money and xp feel very short in most of NG. This game made me sufficiently financially paranoid to bank with the moneybags from merchants. It costs a rate but at least you won’t lose it all to repeated death.

Eventually as you progress through the game you learn most of the enemies, and begin to get a feel for how new ones will work, and at the same time outlevel some of them and get a bunch of super moves. This gives you confidence and you begin to learn that you can actually kick rear end and you start to dictate fights. Then you get to NG+ and continue to max out your powers while getting showered with money and xp. So the difficulty really drops off before eventually returning at like NG+5, or whenever you try charmless.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Everything before Gyoubu and flaming bull is pretty rough but after you have lots of places to explore. You'll want to find as many gourd seeds as possible to increase your healing

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Dec 2, 2023

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Yeah I had more issues with the millions of enemies rather than the bosses when I first played. The things that help on the first coward playthrough are
- there's usually some stealth routes to thin them out
- if you are straight-up fighting a regular mook, you can spam attack until his posture breaks
- someone killed your first health bar? run awaaaaaaaay and then teleport to an idol
- minibosses reset if you get far enough away, so you can just kill all their adds one by one and peace out before attempting them

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Thanks for all the helpful and detailed posts, too many of them to even thank or quote specific ones!

I didn’t read all of this until just now. I did beat the Drunkard last night by basically bullshitting my way through it with running away to hide and reset aggro repeatedly. I won but it didn’t really feel like a W, if that makes sense. Then I found Lady Butterfly, who I don’t think you can cheese at all, got stomped like 20 times and went to bed.

Random thoughts from having read the replies:
- stealth really doesn’t feel useful in this game. It’s so easy to be spotted. Stealth seems like it nets you one, maybe two, “free” kills at best. Which is still better than nothing. I guess my brain is used to Ghost of Tsushima style stealth where you can basically clear a board without engaging anyone directly.

- I saw someone mention merchants, I haven’t found any, the only place I can buy stuff is at the statues.

- I don’t really understand the Dragonrot thing but it seems like it punishes new/bad players and that feels kinda messed up. I’m not expecting to be able to complete any/many quest lines because of it. I have easily died two hundred times by this point, lol.

- part of what’s going to make this game really tough for me is I don’t have a lot of gaming time. I play for 1-2 hours in the evening at most. I spend the first 30 minutes re-acclimating myself to timings etc. But, it is what it is, I can’t quit my job and play this professionally so I’ll have to work with the time I’ve got lol.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
FYI there are some stealth upgrades in the skill tree that let you crouch sprint silently, which really helps with clearing areas if you want to comb through them. But at the same time, you can very easily run straight past enemies and by the time they catch up you're so long outta there.

If you're patient, you can pull a few enemies near a miniboss, kill them, and then run away and let the fight reset. To de-aggro minibosses you have to run so far away the health bar disappears from the top of the screen. Also stealth kills are only possible for the first pip of a miniboss, after that the fight is on and you have to commit.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Don't worry about dragonrot. It doesn't permanently screw you over or anything like that.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Here's a Question: xp has started coming in very very slow, and I just checked the wiki and apparently it's exponential and had a lot of comments complaining about trying to grind it all out.

Any suggestions for midgame skills to prioritize? I've got three skill trees unlocked (presumably more to come), none finished, and the only "omg this changes everything" skill I saw was the heals-on-deathblows one, which has 100% lived up to expectations. Am I gonna regret blowing all my levels trying to unlock these capstone skills?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Theres a vault over enemy skill that lets you backstab a posture broken enemy. It doesnt do anything by itself but later you learn Ninjutsu skills that only activate from a backstab. They are really powerful and good.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Serephina posted:

Here's a Question: xp has started coming in very very slow, and I just checked the wiki and apparently it's exponential and had a lot of comments complaining about trying to grind it all out.

Any suggestions for midgame skills to prioritize? I've got three skill trees unlocked (presumably more to come), none finished, and the only "omg this changes everything" skill I saw was the heals-on-deathblows one, which has 100% lived up to expectations. Am I gonna regret blowing all my levels trying to unlock these capstone skills?

Do you have the Ashina Arts tree? It contains loads of skills that just flat out make you better as well as Ichimonji which is a slow but powerful strike that also recovers your own posture. It's a great punisher move for boss fights.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, it had a bunch of nice passives which ate up a bunch of levels and interrupted plans to get the first tree's capstone. I've now got combat arts coming out of my ears so I think I might just sit on these levels for a while.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
double ichimonji was my favorite combat art for boss fights until I got empowered mortal draw, and it stays useful because unlike mortal draw it doesn’t cost spirit emblems. definitely worth prioritizing for a new player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Wamsutta posted:

questions

Sekiro doesn't always follow video game stealth rules and killing a dude right next to his buddy will alert him. It's more of a tool to sneak/hide and initiate combat decisively.

Merchants exist and are usually a bit off the beaten path. You'll find some if you explore, and it's worth checking all their inventories for items that are either limited (gourds) or needed for a sidequest. Moneybags are good in your initial run where death is probably frequent, but my first run I just stockpiled the bags and never wound up using them until NG+ when I was buying everything for cheevos.

Dragonrot literally doesn't matter. One item use cures the world of it and you'll have those items to spare by the end. I can't even remember what it does now other than make people cough when you talk to them.

The game isn't very long, so don't sweat the time. It doesn't (at least for me) require the time-per-boss investment that the souls sequels have gotten worse about. You also don't need to grind unless you're trying for total completion and you can do that when/if that happens.