Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Not since the days of Salman Butt has a cricketers name led to such great headlines.

Onya Travis, you and your child molester facial hair.

Lol India, hope they don't all get murdered by Modi.

So, England found it hard to get up for the World Cup after a draining Ashes campaign huh? Lol. Well, at least they won the Ashes right? Double lol.

Smith wasn't even out and it didn't matter! What a lovely day.

garycoleisgod fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Centusin posted:

The reason Australia won is because Bumrah, Shami and Siraj didn't finish their overs (and also the swapping of who opens the bowling that Ponting touched on) and Jadeja and Kuldeep bowled 20 overs of the least effective spin bowling. The Indian cricket team saw the data that Head and Marnus prefer pace to spin and then they just couldn't steer away from that tactic. Once it was 120/3 it should have just been a commitment to bowling out the best bowlers because what's the point of bringing them on when there's less than 50 runs left and 7 wickets in hand.

It was generating no threat and was a real failure in captaincy, not realising the test match man had plenty of time in which to play a test match innings.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

V for Vegas posted:

India winning every game but the final would be very funny though.

I underestimated just how funny. Sad Modi was the icing on the cake.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
India Choke on Cum Overload

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I just watched the highlights on 9now to see the Aus innings. Head was amazing. But even more incredible was after every boundary the stadium was dead quiet. You could hear the individual hand claps from the Aussie bench.

But 9 didn’t show sad Modi in the highlights the cowards. Please someone post screenshots

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

garycoleisgod posted:

Not since the days of Salman Butt has a cricketers name led to such great headlines.

I miss the glory days of the ACC in NZ because they had the best names for everyone. "A big century for Panties"

Beffer posted:

I just watched the highlights on 9now to see the Aus innings. Head was amazing. But even more incredible was after every boundary the stadium was dead quiet. You could hear the individual hand claps from the Aussie bench.

But 9 didn’t show sad Modi in the highlights the cowards. Please someone post screenshots

Modi also showed up when the score for Aus was like 3-47 so hopefully they will decapitate him for jinxing their side.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Never doubted the lads. Onya Head.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
LOL

LMAO

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Lol the silence of that crowd was something else. That pitiful crowd in the opening match was louder.
A good win by Aus, they deserved it.

E. I went to bed after they got Kohli out, I still thought India could have got at least 250 but nope.

Project M.A.M.I.L. fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 19, 2023

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://x.com/thatchris1209/status/1726284273563447628?s=46&t=AwMtDeZF_tX5DmOd53fE0g

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Lmao the highlights were great. Complete and utter silence.

I think we can agree this world cup was the best ever, 1 small criticism: it was a bit too short.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

a real chump posted:

Lmao the highlights were great. Complete and utter silence.

I think we can agree this world cup was the best ever, 1 small criticism: it was a bit too short.

New proposal. Each team players the other in a round robin, buuuut, home AND away.

And maybe a 3rd time at a neutral venue

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

As an Englishman I would like to formally thank the Australian cricket team from sparing the cricketing world from an insufferable Indian victory.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

tarbrush posted:

New proposal. Each team players the other in a round robin, buuuut, home AND away.

And maybe a 3rd time at a neutral venue

Also bring back Australia A for old times sake

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Paracausal posted:

dedicate the WC win to Robelinda's YouTube channel

:smith:

Smith lucky to keep him place. Averaged 33, inflated by a few NO's and his two 50s came against Netherlands and Bangladesh.

What will ODI cricket look like come 2027? The ICC will hold on as long as they can but I just really wonder if it's nearly dead.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Australians right now are waking up to the news there is a world cup going on and that we've just gone and won the bloody thing.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
India’s performance against this Aussie bowing attack makes me feel even better about SA’s semi loss.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Why does everyone keep saying odis are dead? Surely t20 is the worst of the 3 formats.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

Why does everyone keep saying odis are dead? Surely t20 is the worst of the 3 formats.

T20s have the advantage that you can play them after work so get a decent audience midweek. And you don't have the wierd dead overs from 20-35.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Ahh, money then. Maybe it's generational too, more action packed into a snaller time? I personally don't like them but I'm getting old.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Australians right now are waking up to the news there is a world cup going on and that we've just gone and won the bloody thing.

They would all congregate in the center of their town to celebrate but unfortunately they aren't allowed to drive

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Well this is nice to wake up to! I went to bed not long after Smith was out, so it’s kind of astonishing that Head and Marnus chases the target themselves!

How on earth did that happen? Shami and Bumrah were almost unplayable while I was watching…

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
As with most sports, I want two things: a) my team to win, and if not then b) the funniest possible outcome.

Quite enjoying that this is one of the rare times both of these are true!

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I haven't watched an ODI in years but they are a much better format than T20. If you're 3 down after 10 overs in T20, just keep bashing away. But 3 down at the same stage in an ODI you realise poo poo, we still have 40 overs to get through. Then you get to watch bowlers put the screws on like the Aussies did today which was great to watch.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Ahh, money then. Maybe it's generational too, more action packed into a snaller time? I personally don't like them but I'm getting old.

ODI’s don’t have the suspense of a test match or the massive hitting of a T20, they are kinda stuck in the middle.

World Cup games do add an element of suspense and stakes that they are often missing (in particular the two game series played as filler).

And T20 batting is getting better and better to the point that teams are now starting to be able to go at almost T20 pace for close to 50 overs (ie couple of games in the WC 500 looked like a chance). There’s a chance that in another 10 years that full 15 over part of one dayers where everyone is happy for an over to go for 5 is gone.

So there’s probably more hope for one dayers surviving now than there was 10 years ago.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

First couple of weeks of this WC were boring and blown out except for England being poo poo, that never stops being fun esp the current bunch of dickheads getting beaten without mercy

Then we had Maxwell go crazy and after that it got entertaining and ended ... well not with the best result, the best result would have been NZ winning. But India getting well beaten is always great esp at home.

T20's blow chunks but admittedly they are pretty much full throttle for 3 hours and pretty decent for the casual sports fan to watch. Cricket without the quiet bits turns out to be a pretty good product for TV and asses on seats - I think T20's inclusion to the Olympics is going to be huge and cricket is def moving in the direction where it's not just a Commonwealth country game, esp with the huge amount of money T20 generates

I think ODI's unfortunatly will get squeezed out but OTOH test cricket seems to be still popular with players and fans so the long format has still got a future.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

T20 needs test cricket imo, no one wants to rock up and see random state and grade cricketers tonk the ball around for half an hour, they want to see actual stars and that means test players

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://x.com/gmaxi_32/status/1726324132944781699?s=46&t=AwMtDeZF_tX5DmOd53fE0g

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Congratulations Australia for winning the last World Cup.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Social media needs more of these thoughtful contributions.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

webmeister posted:

Well this is nice to wake up to! I went to bed not long after Smith was out, so it’s kind of astonishing that Head and Marnus chases the target themselves!

How on earth did that happen? Shami and Bumrah were almost unplayable while I was watching…

What happened was despite Australia being historically bad at playing spin, Jadeja and Kuldeep were unthreatening and Rohit kept bowling them because he thought that was the best way to beat Australia. Usually he would be correct but :shrug: this time I guess.

Also, the early ball movement from the quicks went away and by the time Rohit realised that spin wasn't gonna do it, it was too late and the quicks couldn't do anything once they were brought back.

Also the Indian fielding was a bit sloppy and they allowed too many extras, which meant run-rate was never a concern and Marnus could test match it.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

V for Vegas posted:

I haven't watched an ODI in years but they are a much better format than T20. If you're 3 down after 10 overs in T20, just keep bashing away. But 3 down at the same stage in an ODI you realise poo poo, we still have 40 overs to get through. Then you get to watch bowlers put the screws on like the Aussies did today which was great to watch.

This is why I really enjoy ODI and would hate to see it gone, it's the perfect balance of smash plus strategy. If there's any concession to the modern speed required, I would be fine with ODIs becoming 40 over a side matches.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

MaoistBanker posted:

This is why I really enjoy ODI and would hate to see it gone, it's the perfect balance of smash plus strategy. If there's any concession to the modern speed required, I would be fine with ODIs becoming 40 over a side matches.

You've said what I have been feeling better than I would have. It hits for me that sweet spot between the two.

E. Sounded weird how I first wrote it

Project M.A.M.I.L. fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 20, 2023

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Didn't they used to be 60 overs?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Beffer posted:

Social media needs more of these thoughtful contributions.

Yes it does.

Mister Chief posted:

Yes, they kinda sucked

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Mister Chief posted:

I think that was dependent on where they were played. Like Australia having 8 ball overs for a time.

But I don't know the specifics.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

MaoistBanker posted:

It's also a really fun day out. Test matches can be great but it's a bit of a lucky dip if you get a good day to go. You know you'll see some wickets in a ODI and a result. T20 is still too much like backyard cricket to me.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I dont mind t20 but I feel like more often than not when I sit down to watch the games kinda over one side or the other 5 overs into the 2nd innings.

Great win by Australia. Travis head turning his career around after looking like he was struggling to go on after a mixed start has been great this last 18 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
List A has been 40, 50 & 60 overs. 60 is generally agreed to be too many, 40 seems to be too few for some people.